查看: 115702|回复: 220
打印 上一主题 下一主题

出国留学:It’s all about language.

[精华]   [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-10-3 10:03:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
出国留学:It’sall about language.

留学这个词我很讨厌,不如我们就用“念书”这样中性一点的词好了。我亲爱的朋友们,在现在这个国门开放,机会众多的时代,出国念书已经不是什么奇闻异事。似乎只要有足够金钱支持,只要你愿意,你就能出去。

出国的目的有很多种,我的这篇文章是写给那些我们出国念书,愿意真正学到东西,或者是希望在国外发展的朋友们的。

好了,你们的第一步是考toeflIELTS。有句话说得好,世上有个新东方,从此托雅随便放。有了我们著名的newOriental的诞生了以后,无数莘莘学子得以受益,顺利通过拦倒我们英雄好汉的英文考试,(无论是toefl还是IELTS还是GREgmat)成功得到对方学校的青睐,到达大洋的彼岸。好了,我们上岸了。很多人这么想的。事实是这样吗?那么接下来的故事是怎么回事呢?

我给大家说说。大家上岸了以后,首先,我们要找个地方落脚住下。你发现,无论是找房子,跟房东商讨,买任何东西,你都觉得都是我们英语课上的情景对话考试。好了,咱们开学了。这时候,你会发现何时何地,无论是上课,讨论,课下同学交流,路上偶遇同学老师,都是在进行托福雅思的听力口语阅读写作考试。你的托福考试只不过是三四个小时而已,不过这时候你是无论何时无论何地。而且现在托福考试基本上是只有英语和美语两种口音,但是事实上,你每天听到的可能是法国口音,越南口音,印度口音(这个基本上是无法避免的!),西班牙口音。而且全部都是只播放一次的实战考试,没有模拟题,每一道题目没有五秒钟的反应时间,全部都要求你在0.3秒之内给出回应。答错一次没关系,还有一到两次的回答机会。不过如果每次你都要求3次回答机会,或者更糟糕的是怎么也答不对,那么你很快就连题目都没得做了(人家就不跟你这个moron说话了)。说到写作。比如说,课堂限时间20分钟要求写一篇文章,300字或是400字。写不出来就算是旷课;写的错漏百出,影响成绩不说,同时在老师印象中形象大大降低(这个丢面子的事情大家明白)。

你们可能觉得我夸大其词。咱们过了托福600多分还是100分就行了嘛,其他的有什么可怕的。我这要告诉大家了,真的等你过来以后,你就知道托福真是算个小菜,咱们天天都在考托福呢,比这难得多了大把大把的。

我来说说我自己好了。我是在国内某著名重点大学念的本科,中文授课,专业与英文无关。本科期间去美国某市市政府实习工作了半年,期间顺便当了一下当地州立大学学生。回国毕业了以后在某专科学校当了两年老师。之后来了我现在所在的某商学院念书。托福不瞒大家,我是一回国就过了两个星期就考的(本来是在那边考比较容易,不过老是拖时间忘记了),做了两套还是三套模拟题就算是复习,作文看了题库(到底有没有写记不得了)。成绩具体就不说了,不过是申请世界上任何一所大学任何学位任何专业都完全没有任何问题了。后来考了gmat。状态稍微悲惨一些,不过也是申请任何大学绰绰有余。

我就基本是这个状态,来了这边,一样认为自己语言不足。我想参加学生会选举,语言不足;参加案例比赛,语言不足;参加志愿者,给孩子们念念书教教课,语言不足;公共演讲,语言不足;学生会志愿者,语言不足;课堂辩论,语言不足;小组数学会计统计金融经济讨论,语言不足;上bar跟男生女生热烈瞎侃,语言不足。所谓语言不足,不是听不懂,说不出,而是达不到自己希望的随心所欲的状态,达不到跟自己母语一样,可以忽略语言本身,着重内容的状态;达不到无论是学术环境还是社交环境,随意交往,说出自己的任何看法的状态。

我讨厌这样的感觉。

这样是作公共演讲需要写稿子然后熟读,而本地同学只需要写出一个大纲就可以出去踢球了的感觉;这样是写作业需要多花一半时间的感觉;这样是当地同学热热闹闹达成一片上某某家喝啤酒看电影弹吉他,而自己完全搞不清楚他们热烈讨论对象的感觉(比如说某某球类,某某小说,某某电影,某某明星,某某政客,某某食物,某某餐厅);这样是看案例需要来回看两次才能写出大纲,而本地同学已经开始讨论进入正题的感觉。

什么文化冲击,什么人际交往,说穿了,不就是语言问题。同志们,你们知道美国跟加拿大不是一个国家,自然文化不同。可是咱们听说过美国人在加拿大受到文化冲击无法适应的问题吗?美国人可能在加拿大抱怨几句,然后暗地里嘲笑枫叶国落后迟钝,但是对他们来说,去加拿大就跟我们出省没什么两样。咱们北京人去天津是不是会有文化差异?可是是不是没有几天就适应了?顶多抱怨两句罢了。一个道理。语言没有问题嘛。

我一点也没有夸张。It’sall about language.

朋友们,在国内把语言练好再出来,才是真正革命的本钱。否则你会非常被动。我的同班中国同学之中有完全听不懂课的;有听不太懂总是向本地的同桌同学请教,结果我在背后听到他的抱怨的;有基本不能参加任何讨论和回答问题的;有在小组作业中基本处于被忽略地位的。我不知道他们的痛苦。我觉得听课是正常行为,某些boring的课我甚至会神游天外;我觉得课堂讨论很容易,从来不能插不上话,从来不需要pardon他人repeat;我从来不觉得跟自己室友对话只有”hi,thank you, good-bye”的。我以为他们跟我一样。我的苦恼是我觉得我不能向本地同学那样自在,自在交往,自在学习,自在娱乐。

到底要什么程度才行?我举最简单例子。以下词语(词组),大家能听到知道意思(所有常用意思),不用翻译中文,知道各种时态语态动词形容词名词,知道用法吗?

Conglomeratecongruentloiterboostaggrandize augment;derogatoryunanimoushybridhypothesishierarchical;hibernate; exude; tamper; volatile; utility; synopsissynchronizeencyclopediaantiseptic alignmentmitigatedisclaimermechanism; emblemembroider conjunctiongynecologistbenevolentexonerateetc.

你觉得奇怪,怎么会有这些奇奇怪怪的词?你永远想不到对方会说什么东西。可能突然变成传染病学,自闭症;人工智能;纳米技术;言语失调症;或是地理;自然资源;机械制造;慈善,自然动物,逻辑学,物流还是人类学。在这里,没有什么四级六级词汇,什么托福词汇。什么考研词汇。事实上,我觉得所有托福以及gmat词汇都是常用词汇。甚至,GRE词汇都是常用词汇。到底需要多少词汇量?这是一个无底洞。我也不知道。也许我现在有20000词汇,可是真正活学活用的,不是只在阅读和听别人说话时才反应过来的,又有多少呢?

地名。人名。书名。电影名。学术专业词汇;流派。军事,体育,娱乐,俚语,挖苦讽刺。什么都有。任何软件都是英文,并且他人期待你马上上手。

如果你对这些一无所知,你会非常被动。你觉得被忽略了,你觉得被边缘化了,你觉得自己的价值能力实现不了,你觉得自己不能被他人理解和帮助,你觉得生活很无聊,无目的,无意义。

再次告诉亲爱的朋友们,出国念书,还是工作(根据我的经验看来,这会更加有挑战性),请准备好自己,武装好自己。不是那么舒服的,不是那么轻松的,不是那么容易的。当然,如果你家里有着大把大把的票子叫着嚷着要跳出来,要被花掉,那么不用犹豫,赶快揣好兜好了,彼岸有着用钱的好去处。你一定不会遗憾。
收藏收藏53 收藏收藏53
推荐
发表于 2010-11-1 02:21:58 | 只看该作者
I would like to address some things in this discussion. And, I will also state, I am an American (not of Chinese descent, if it matters). So please excuse me for using English, it is because my Chinese is not good enough to write this post (I'm learning).

Yes, the language barrier is a problem. But it is not the only one. Many Chinese students I know let the language barrier be much larger than it should. I have some Chinese friends, and I enjoy talking to them despite the language issue, because I like meeting people from other countries and have an interest in China. But, I feel that many Chinese studying in the US are not willing to truly be friends with an American. As difficult as you may think it is (or will be) to make American friends, as an American it's much harder to make friends with Chinese. The problem is that too many students think that:

1) The cultural difference is too large to bridge
2) That their English is too poor, and they should just stay with other Chinese because of language
3) That Americans won't enjoy talking to them because of language

None of these are true.

Yes, there are some cultural differences, and some Americans who don't have the patience to talk to those who are learning English. But there are also some who do. Many people make judgments based upon the way someone looks or where they are from, and while a Chinese person may be concerned about Americans making those judgments about them, the reality is that all too often, the Chinese will also make judgments about Americans. They assume that, because I am American, I will not have patience to talk to them or will not be interested in the same topics.

How do you think it makes Americans feel to meet Chinese people who never will talk to us? Who won’t even give us their names, instead giving some fake English name that’s supposed to be “easier”? Who won’t participate in the life of the university or the society but instead stay insulated in a separate community? Who will always choose to hang out with other Chinese and not invite us, even though we're trying to spend time with them?
It makes us feel that the Chinese people in the US don’t really want to consider Americans as friends. Of course in reality it’s usually just language, but think about how that looks to US people, especially when other foreign groups don’t do that nearly as much.

People are just the same everywhere, and in the event that you do meet an American who doesn’t have patience to speak with someone learning English, then know that there is another one who does. Be willing to speak for yourself without fear of embarrassment: in the US, not knowing English enough is not a reason to lose face if you are legitimately trying to learn it. If someone isn’t willing to accept you for that, it’s their problem and not yours.

And feel free to venture outside of your own community: yes, at first the language will be a problem, but read the original poster carefully. In the beginning that person couldn’t join clubs or organizations, or participate because he (or she) thought his language wasn’t good enough. But later, was able to do all of these things. Yes at first it will be hard, learning a language always is, but if you never push yourself to go outside your comfort zone, you can’t improve.

And please, please don't judge Americans you meet before you get to know them. There are many Americans who really want to know you as a friend, and help you succeed in your study.
推荐
发表于 2011-9-23 15:48:17 | 只看该作者
LZ再现身一下呗 前辈当到底 说一下到底要怎么锻炼和提升这个语言能力
推荐
发表于 2010-11-7 08:02:23 | 只看该作者
I would like to address some things in this discussion. And, I will also state, I am an American (not of Chinese descent, if it matters). So please excuse me for using English, it is because my Chinese is not good enough to write this post (I'm learning).

Yes, the language barrier is a problem. But it is not the only one. Many Chinese students I know let the language barrier be much larger than it should. I have some Chinese friends, and I enjoy talking to them despite the language issue, because I like meeting people from other countries and have an interest in China. But, I feel that many Chinese studying in the US are not willing to truly be friends with an American. As difficult as you may think it is (or will be) to make American friends, as an American it's much harder to make friends with Chinese. The problem is that too many students think that:

1) The cultural difference is too large to bridge
2) That their English is too poor, and they should just stay with other Chinese because of language
3) That Americans won't enjoy talking to them because of language

None of these are true.

Yes, there are some cultural differences, and some Americans who don't have the patience to talk to those who are learning English. But there are also some who do. Many people make judgments based upon the way someone looks or where they are from, and while a Chinese person may be concerned about Americans making those judgments about them, the reality is that all too often, the Chinese will also make judgments about Americans. They assume that, because I am American, I will not have patience to talk to them or will not be interested in the same topics.

How do you think it makes Americans feel to meet Chinese people who never will talk to us? Who won’t even give us their names, instead giving some fake English name that’s supposed to be “easier”? Who won’t participate in the life of the university or the society but instead stay insulated in a separate community? Who will always choose to hang out with other Chinese and not invite us, even though we're trying to spend time with them?
It makes us feel that the Chinese people in the US don’t really want to consider Americans as friends. Of course in reality it’s usually just language, but think about how that looks to US people, especially when other foreign groups don’t do that nearly as much.

People are just the same everywhere, and in the event that you do meet an American who doesn’t have patience to speak with someone learning English, then know that there is another one who does. Be willing to speak for yourself without fear of embarrassment: in the US, not knowing English enough is not a reason to lose face if you are legitimately trying to learn it. If someone isn’t willing to accept you for that, it’s their problem and not yours.

And feel free to venture outside of your own community: yes, at first the language will be a problem, but read the original poster carefully. In the beginning that person couldn’t join clubs or organizations, or participate because he (or she) thought his language wasn’t good enough. But later, was able to do all of these things. Yes at first it will be hard, learning a language always is, but if you never push yourself to go outside your comfort zone, you can’t improve.

And please, please don't judge Americans you meet before you get to know them. There are many Americans who really want to know you as a friend, and help you succeed in your study.
-- by 会员 aclegt (2010/11/1 2:21:58)

I can't agree with you any more. Culture barrier is not fatal to studying English, and the biggest barrier for studying English is the constraint that people set for their mind. Some people are isolated by themselves, not by tough world.
沙发
发表于 2010-10-4 23:10:40 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主的分享,很真实,也很有启发!

祝福楼主在米国的锤炼之中打造应用自如的英文表达,打破那层玻璃,真正进入到米国真实的大房间里:)
板凳
发表于 2010-10-5 01:55:49 | 只看该作者
很贴切,我目前的状态就觉得被边缘化, 作业上好像没有可以贡献的,本地同学的词汇量感觉都好学术,写起PRESENTATION的时候更是夸张。 想想很傻的,站在台上没有机会表达。
地板
发表于 2010-10-5 21:43:38 | 只看该作者
语言确实是王道,马克一下,好好看IETLS去。
5#
发表于 2010-10-8 15:54:04 | 只看该作者
写得好真实啊!以前在莫斯科和马德里读书时候也有同感,当你感觉运用越来越自如的时候,离毕业的时间也不远了。 今年人28,去年回到国内,感觉不是很适应,选择去美国,先是语言。几乎10年没用英语了,报过新东方,没有领悟感。自己在家复习。痛苦挣扎中啊!!!想想未来是美好的。
6#
发表于 2010-10-9 03:23:00 | 只看该作者
楼主能领悟到这种语言的障碍说明本身的英语水平已经达到一个高度了,native speaker和 foreigner 的主要区别就在这里:用语言思考,接下来就是一个时间磨合的问题了,这是一个漫长的过程,希望你能尽快加速这个过程。
7#
发表于 2010-10-9 11:00:55 | 只看该作者
很久没来CD了,上来就看到楼主的好帖。楼主的帖子描述的是如此贴切,简直就是曾经我肚子里的虫虫(现在已经没有虫虫了)。我每天都在受折磨,每天都在提醒自己,It is all about language. 其实MBA的很多课程,可以自学,知识学习对我来说,没有什么难度。很多案例分析,第一时间我就有完整的构架出来,但是没有用。屁用没有!因为说不出来。我不能要求老外讲话慢点,我也不会要求他们重视我,也不会要求他们有耐心猜我的烂句子,我只是知道,我说话的权利是靠我自己挣来的,不是乞求来的。所以虽然我说的很烂,但是我会说更多,虽然小组开会他们会听不懂,但是我会提供打印好的图片和文字帮助他们理解,虽然他们热火朝天聊啥我不知道,但是我会拿本子把听不懂的记下来。

我QQ,MSN 的签名是:打通任督二脉,我就是武林高手。一脉是听,一脉是说。 It is all about language.
8#
发表于 2010-10-10 03:07:09 | 只看该作者
can't agree more!
9#
发表于 2010-10-10 11:37:00 | 只看该作者
未来足够美好~
明白lzmm无非抱怨一下暂时的不适应感,这跟谈恋爱一样,磨合期一过,什么都好了。
can ba de~
10#
发表于 2010-10-12 13:13:21 | 只看该作者
同意
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

所属分类: B-School生涯

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 18:29
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部