32#
发表于 2010-10-29 19:11:47 | 只看该作者
谢谢,肺腑之言
33#
发表于 2010-10-31 22:16:43 | 只看该作者
顶!
34#
发表于 2010-11-1 02:21:58 | 只看该作者
I would like to address some things in this discussion. And, I will also state, I am an American (not of Chinese descent, if it matters). So please excuse me for using English, it is because my Chinese is not good enough to write this post (I'm learning).

Yes, the language barrier is a problem. But it is not the only one. Many Chinese students I know let the language barrier be much larger than it should. I have some Chinese friends, and I enjoy talking to them despite the language issue, because I like meeting people from other countries and have an interest in China. But, I feel that many Chinese studying in the US are not willing to truly be friends with an American. As difficult as you may think it is (or will be) to make American friends, as an American it's much harder to make friends with Chinese. The problem is that too many students think that:

1) The cultural difference is too large to bridge
2) That their English is too poor, and they should just stay with other Chinese because of language
3) That Americans won't enjoy talking to them because of language

None of these are true.

Yes, there are some cultural differences, and some Americans who don't have the patience to talk to those who are learning English. But there are also some who do. Many people make judgments based upon the way someone looks or where they are from, and while a Chinese person may be concerned about Americans making those judgments about them, the reality is that all too often, the Chinese will also make judgments about Americans. They assume that, because I am American, I will not have patience to talk to them or will not be interested in the same topics.

How do you think it makes Americans feel to meet Chinese people who never will talk to us? Who won’t even give us their names, instead giving some fake English name that’s supposed to be “easier”? Who won’t participate in the life of the university or the society but instead stay insulated in a separate community? Who will always choose to hang out with other Chinese and not invite us, even though we're trying to spend time with them?
It makes us feel that the Chinese people in the US don’t really want to consider Americans as friends. Of course in reality it’s usually just language, but think about how that looks to US people, especially when other foreign groups don’t do that nearly as much.

People are just the same everywhere, and in the event that you do meet an American who doesn’t have patience to speak with someone learning English, then know that there is another one who does. Be willing to speak for yourself without fear of embarrassment: in the US, not knowing English enough is not a reason to lose face if you are legitimately trying to learn it. If someone isn’t willing to accept you for that, it’s their problem and not yours.

And feel free to venture outside of your own community: yes, at first the language will be a problem, but read the original poster carefully. In the beginning that person couldn’t join clubs or organizations, or participate because he (or she) thought his language wasn’t good enough. But later, was able to do all of these things. Yes at first it will be hard, learning a language always is, but if you never push yourself to go outside your comfort zone, you can’t improve.

And please, please don't judge Americans you meet before you get to know them. There are many Americans who really want to know you as a friend, and help you succeed in your study.
35#
发表于 2010-11-1 10:05:07 | 只看该作者
看到这篇文章,我深深的纠结上了,并且有一种预感,等我上岸之后,终将边缘化。。俺听英语去了。。
36#
发表于 2010-11-3 08:28:30 | 只看该作者
Great you~~~
all about language in which culture rests
37#
发表于 2010-11-7 08:02:23 | 只看该作者
I would like to address some things in this discussion. And, I will also state, I am an American (not of Chinese descent, if it matters). So please excuse me for using English, it is because my Chinese is not good enough to write this post (I'm learning).

Yes, the language barrier is a problem. But it is not the only one. Many Chinese students I know let the language barrier be much larger than it should. I have some Chinese friends, and I enjoy talking to them despite the language issue, because I like meeting people from other countries and have an interest in China. But, I feel that many Chinese studying in the US are not willing to truly be friends with an American. As difficult as you may think it is (or will be) to make American friends, as an American it's much harder to make friends with Chinese. The problem is that too many students think that:

1) The cultural difference is too large to bridge
2) That their English is too poor, and they should just stay with other Chinese because of language
3) That Americans won't enjoy talking to them because of language

None of these are true.

Yes, there are some cultural differences, and some Americans who don't have the patience to talk to those who are learning English. But there are also some who do. Many people make judgments based upon the way someone looks or where they are from, and while a Chinese person may be concerned about Americans making those judgments about them, the reality is that all too often, the Chinese will also make judgments about Americans. They assume that, because I am American, I will not have patience to talk to them or will not be interested in the same topics.

How do you think it makes Americans feel to meet Chinese people who never will talk to us? Who won’t even give us their names, instead giving some fake English name that’s supposed to be “easier”? Who won’t participate in the life of the university or the society but instead stay insulated in a separate community? Who will always choose to hang out with other Chinese and not invite us, even though we're trying to spend time with them?
It makes us feel that the Chinese people in the US don’t really want to consider Americans as friends. Of course in reality it’s usually just language, but think about how that looks to US people, especially when other foreign groups don’t do that nearly as much.

People are just the same everywhere, and in the event that you do meet an American who doesn’t have patience to speak with someone learning English, then know that there is another one who does. Be willing to speak for yourself without fear of embarrassment: in the US, not knowing English enough is not a reason to lose face if you are legitimately trying to learn it. If someone isn’t willing to accept you for that, it’s their problem and not yours.

And feel free to venture outside of your own community: yes, at first the language will be a problem, but read the original poster carefully. In the beginning that person couldn’t join clubs or organizations, or participate because he (or she) thought his language wasn’t good enough. But later, was able to do all of these things. Yes at first it will be hard, learning a language always is, but if you never push yourself to go outside your comfort zone, you can’t improve.

And please, please don't judge Americans you meet before you get to know them. There are many Americans who really want to know you as a friend, and help you succeed in your study.
-- by 会员 aclegt (2010/11/1 2:21:58)

I can't agree with you any more. Culture barrier is not fatal to studying English, and the biggest barrier for studying English is the constraint that people set for their mind. Some people are isolated by themselves, not by tough world.
38#
发表于 2010-11-17 15:14:04 | 只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
39#
发表于 2010-11-18 21:45:41 | 只看该作者
虽然没打算去留学,但是以我在工作中的体会,听说读写,写是最难的,请准备去留学的TX们至少英文要够写作业。
其实中文也是如此,程度低的人听说没有问题,写就会很有问题。
40#
发表于 2010-11-18 22:03:28 | 只看该作者
有道理呀
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

所属分类: B-School生涯

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 16:07
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部