返回列表 发新帖
楼主: lakerfan123
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[申请总结] 请问是否应该Reapply, 求建议!!

[精华] [复制链接]
31#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-3-1 15:07:58 | 只看该作者
其实说实在的,做完这5点真不会有质的飞越,很多big 4er走在前头了
CFA3 750+ 105+ with IB goal, 这样的人比你想像的要多很多,他们在top10申请里同样面临how to differentiate的问题

所以不如花时间在丰富课外活动,大部份big4er这方面都比较欠,在differentiate方面的边际效用要高很多。
-- by 会员 AllenZX (2011/3/1 14:41:10)

this one makes a lot of sense. lz would probably own a killer resume next year if he quit his job and just do want ever he wants for a while.  gotta spice it up, man.
-- by 会员 WendyT (2011/3/1 14:54:27)

Thanks for posting.

"quit his job and just do want ever he wants"

I would love to hear more on this point? Could you please be more specific? That'll be very much appreciated.

Btw, if I can choose, take aside the IB dream, I would go back hometown and become a teacher in my home middle school...lol...
32#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-3-1 15:09:19 | 只看该作者
相比于CFA在申请过程中不是很加分,那CICPA的帮助大么?

如果你的目标是IB的话,reapply吧。对于国际学生来讲,Emory实在是太有难度了。
LZ目标定的很好,但Big4平时工作这么忙,能不能都实现呢?我来泼泼冷水~
1. 就我看来,LZ的硬指标已经过关了,除非T能上110,不然也差不了多少。
2. CFA要花很多时间准备的,就算考出来也只是反应对finance感兴趣而已。多花这么多时间去证明,值得么?
3. 内部transfer我觉得也不容易。而且就算转成了,要想在简历上有东西写,essay里有故事说,还是要好好干,这很费时间。
4. essay真的很重要。
今年LZ可能是准备晚了,但才是要分析是哪里做的不够。离明年的第一轮也就半年时间,怕很难一口气吃成个胖子。
I am admitted to Emory MBA program with 75% tuition free. However, I'm not sure whether to go to Emory or reapply. My career goal is investment bank, but I guess Emory cannot give me too much help to realize my goal. Actually, I tried some top schools including Wharton, CBS and Tuck this year, but failed to get admission. I hope to hear some advice. Thanks.

My brief background:

G 760, T 104, 3.5 years working exp. in big 4.  

If choose to reapply, I believe I could better my candidacy in five ways:
1.       Re-take the TOEFL to gain a more competitive score;
2.       Pass the CFA level 1 this June.
3.       Transfer from audit department to financial advisory department of big 4.
4.       Have months to refine my essays.
5.       Apply in the early round.

I know that nothing could guarantee an admission to Columbia, Wharton or the other top tiers. But I believe the admissions from second tier b-schools such as Ross, Darden, Cornell and UCLA are reachable. Is it a wise decision to give up on Emory (and the $$$) and spend another year struggling for such second tier ones. Pls give me advices regarding my dilemma. Thanks for reading my post and look forward to any advices.
-- by 会员 lakerfan123 (2011/3/1 11:16:39)

-- by 会员 breadwgy (2011/3/1 13:17:51)

-- by 会员 ilovecathy (2011/3/1 15:00:02)

LZ有CICPA...本人的失败经验证明CICPA作用不大...至少不如CFA大...个人感觉...
33#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:14:21 | 只看该作者
相比于CFA在申请过程中不是很加分,那CICPA的帮助大么?

4. essay真的很重要。
I am admitted to Emory MBA program with 75% tuition free. However, I'm not sure whether to go to Emory or reapply. My career goal is investment bank, but I guess Emory cannot give me too much help to realize my goal. Actually, I tried some top schools including Wharton, CBS and Tuck this year, but failed to get admission. I hope to hear some advice. Thanks.

My brief background:

3.       Transfer from audit department to financial advisory department of big 4.

I know that nothing could guarantee an admission to Columbia, Wharton or the other top tiers. But I believe the admissions from second tier b-schools such as Ross, Darden, Cornell and UCLA are reachable. Is it a wise decision to give up on Emory (and the $$$) and spend another year struggling for such second tier ones. Pls give me advices regarding my dilemma. Thanks for reading my post and look forward to any advices.

-- by 会员 ilovecathy (2011/3/1 15:00:02)

LZ有CICPA...本人的失败经验证明CICPA作用不大...至少不如CFA大...个人感觉...
-- by 会员 lakerfan123 (2011/3/1 15:09:19)

谢谢LZ的回答哈,之前还听人说CPA的作用大于CFA,真是纠结啊,呵呵。
34#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-3-1 15:16:00 | 只看该作者
[quote]
4. essay真的很重要。

My brief background:

如果下定决心的话...是准备
1.在四月把T考到110+... 分数肯定越高越好
2.六月考CFA level I...考这个一方面是因为自己的兴趣,一方面也是使我跟去年相比有所提供,re-essay里面也有写的点-参加考试是为今后职业发展做知识储备,essay里写价值不大。
3.考完之后转部门,并开始申请. 如果可以,尽早转部门
4.Essay的重要性通过这一年体会也很深刻了...准备参加一些workshop啊...找mentor来协助一下...不再闭门造车了--这个非常同意毋庸置疑

个人观点如上,另外加一句,如果lz真的非常渴望IB,建议re-apply.但是在两或三年之后,等你在新岗位有了职业积累和成长,CFA通过3级,会为你的profile增加实质性的价值,无论是申请还是毕业后的求职。如果今年申请,尽管你的标准考试成绩出色,但还是建议调整预期为宜。
-- by 会员 jianxinl6 (2011/3/1 15:00:32)

感谢您的意见,确实我也有您所说的担忧,不到一年时间内的re-apply是否能证明improvement是个问题. 但是我现在有re-apply一年的想法是因为感觉自己还有时间..可以承受得起这个时间成本,心态也比较平和.我感觉要是两三年之后...可能压力会更大...更desperate...不知您是否可以给一些意见?
35#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:16:40 | 只看该作者
CFA3 750+ 105+ with IB goal, 这样的人比你想像的要多很多,他们在top10申请里同样面临how to differentiate的问题

this one makes a lot of sense. lz would probably own a killer resume next year if he quit his job and just do want ever he wants for a while.  gotta spice it up, man.

Thanks for posting.

I would love to hear more on this point? Could you please be more specific? That'll be very much appreciated.

Btw, if I can choose, take aside the IB dream, I would go back hometown and become a teacher in my home middle school...lol...
-- by 会员 lakerfan123 (2011/3/1 15:07:58)

Do so, you won't regret it...lol...
36#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:21:28 | 只看该作者

Thanks for posting.

why not? if it is really your dream, even if it couldn't reinforce your resume you've got nothing to lose pursuing it.
well this might be too idealistic i admit.  i mean what you need right now might be some edge. take what you said for an example. if you go for it, from your package people would definitely remember you as the "middle school teacher" guy.  even if you successfully accomplished all the points you listed, who would you be then? the 11x toefl guy? just kidding and no offense.
i think a lot of posts in this thread have already got it. this edge could either been obtained by working on the essays or do something unconventional. just fyr and good luck!
37#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:22:32 | 只看该作者
[quote]
4. essay真的很重要。

My brief background:

如果下定决心的话...是准备
2.六月考CFA level I...考这个一方面是因为自己的兴趣,一方面也是使我跟去年相比有所提供,re-essay里面也有写的点-参加考试是为今后职业发展做知识储备,essay里写价值不大。

个人观点如上,另外加一句,如果lz真的非常渴望IB,建议re-apply.但是在两或三年之后,等你在新岗位有了职业积累和成长,CFA通过3级,会为你的profile增加实质性的价值,无论是申请还是毕业后的求职。如果今年申请,尽管你的标准考试成绩出色,但还是建议调整预期为宜。

同是四大背景,同样想申MBA,同样想去banking。请问jianxinl6童鞋,和CFA3相比,CICPA对于申请及今后找工作的价值如何呢,应该先考哪个比较好呢?
-- by 会员 ilovecathy (2011/3/1 15:05:34)

不要过多纠结证书,把它当作一种知识储备来看。除了考证,更建议现在开始networking,找些banking的人来聊聊,建立人脉。此外,真的渴望banking,建议离开4大,可以尝试从小banking或者和其有相关的工作做起(我承认这个看机会),未来通过MBA跳到top banking。以上两个方面也是你可以为未来banking生涯做的准备工作。
38#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:27:59 | 只看该作者

Thanks for posting.

-- by 会员 ManInTheMirror (2011/3/1 15:16:40)

hehe.. can't agree more. coz it sounds much more fascinating than passing CFA3 in 2013 and becoming an IBD associate in 2015...  lol..  just kidding..
39#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:34:25 | 只看该作者

Thanks for posting.

-- by 会员 ManInTheMirror (2011/3/1 15:16:40)

hehe.. can't agree more. coz it sounds much more fascinating than passing CFA3 in 2013 and becoming an IBD associate in 2015...  lol..  just kidding..
-- by 会员 AllenZX (2011/3/1 15:27:59)

but seriously....there are a bunch of big four ppl who apply, if lz wants to stand out...he/she can't just rely on a piece of paper indicating a cfa1 (PS: i don't think cfa1 makes much of a difference....)...buf if lz does something like this, for sure he's gonna stand out....chinese (including myself) needs some gutts to do things like this, to show that we are not boring people who just go by the book...
40#
发表于 2011-3-1 15:51:38 | 只看该作者
[quote]
4. essay真的很重要。

My brief background:

如果下定决心的话...是准备

感谢您的意见,确实我也有您所说的担忧,不到一年时间内的re-apply是否能证明improvement是个问题. 但是我现在有re-apply一年的想法是因为感觉自己还有时间..可以承受得起这个时间成本,心态也比较平和.我感觉要是两三年之后...可能压力会更大...更desperate...不知您是否可以给一些意见?
-- by 会员 lakerfan123 (2011/3/1 15:16:00)

恕我直言,你的这些理由都是你的“心魔”,自己给自己找的理由,有些浮躁...换句话说,可能是你对IB的渴望并不足以让你克服一切困难。其实你也知道,你在和这个世界上最优秀的一群人在竞争,你理想的实现不太可能如你所愿的克服几道你认为的槛就达到的。这个过程要你做好充分的准备,无论是心理上还是客观能力上。我的建议,一方面,好好调整自己的心态和预期先,多和些前辈和朋友聊聊,兼听则明,审视自己内心的真实和现实的条件,另一方面,就像你自己所列的那些,努力去做。才工作几年,未来还长得很!加油!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 13:35
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部