ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: aspirant2010

[转贴] 30岁+ TOP MBA的就业讨论

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2009-12-18 00:13:12 | 显示全部楼层
我也是大龄申请者,对前面的帖子颇有同感。年纪大些自然顾虑多些,但只要想法成熟目标明确知道自己想要什么,MBA也是一个很好的选择。

我有一个客户,CEO同时也是owner 今年68岁了,还在筹划着3年后把企业搞上市。他说他63岁时才真正抓住人生的机会,以前的几十年,历经文革,科研,老国企等,都是在准备,最后这5年机会来了,也干出点样子来了。所以他要继续努力。我很受感动。我们现在忍受的痛苦和彷徨,有他多吗?

我这个年纪的人,小时候都读过小马过河的故事。其实这个故事跟现在面临的MBA选择是多么相识啊。在跨入这条河之前反复的求证、权衡,但众说纷纭、莫衷一是。其实最关键还是自己的决心和人生态度。到现在还在犹豫的人,思想上还停留在小马过河之前的状态。我们已经在这个状态上停留了30年了,难道想以后30年还保持这个状态吗?
 楼主| 发表于 2009-12-18 00:39:45 | 显示全部楼层
大家说的都不错。李开复在《引领你的一生》中评点兰迪教授的最后一次演讲,说我们要lead your life, 不要live your life。这个引领你life的就是你的dream,其实Goal Essay的写作,adcom也就是要看你的Goal如何一直引领你过去的每一次职业选择和努力。如果你的人生中有什么比较大的转折,那什么是你的life shaping experience
发表于 2009-12-20 22:12:34 | 显示全部楼层
绝对好帖,33,在忙essay,一度怀疑自己的冲动,现在找到组织了,让我们一起折腾吧
发表于 2009-12-21 19:06:05 | 显示全部楼层
I don't think age range of  (30 +-3) will be a big issue for MBA. I finished my MBA in my early 30s and manage to find a my dream job upon after MBA, though I may be a outlier of the sample. So take my comment with a pinch of salt and try to make a rational analysis of your own situation.

So to put it this way for those over 30s, as I guess most of the people read this subject will be over 30+ when think about/start mbas, tt is a matter of fact that age is against you if you are competing another MBA who is around 25+ (let's be realistic) in recruiting. So the key here is to make sure you can bring something more than your younger competitor can to your recruiter so as to tip the balance in your favour. It coule be anything, such as stronger techincal competence, more relevant experiences, stronger people skills, etc. As long as you are 35-, it is ok to start your MBA. if you are over the bar, then think about an EMBA, rather than MBA (sorry to sound a bit harsh, but you don't want to waste lots of $$$ and time before realising it is too hard to find a dream job). No prejudice here, it is just a result of comparative advantage analysis, as the contents of MBA/EMBA education will be the same, but the recruiters' job requirement focus will be a bit different.  

Good luck
 楼主| 发表于 2009-12-21 19:24:41 | 显示全部楼层
I don't think age range of  (30 +-3) will be a big issue for MBA. I finished my MBA in my early 30s and manage to find a my dream job upon after MBA, though I may be a outlier of the sample. So take my comment with a pinch of salt and try to make a rational analysis of your own situation.

So to put it this way for those over 30s, as I guess most of the people read this subject will be over 30+ when think about/start mbas, tt is a matter of fact that age is against you if you are competing another MBA who is around 25+ (let's be realistic) in recruiting. So the key here is to make sure you can bring something more than your younger competitor can to your recruiter so as to tip the balance in your favour. It coule be anything, such as stronger techincal competence, more relevant experiences, stronger people skills, etc. As long as you are 35-, it is ok to start your MBA. if you are over the bar, then think about an EMBA, rather than MBA (sorry to sound a bit harsh, but you don't want to waste lots of $$$ and time before realising it is too hard to find a dream job). No prejudice here, it is just a result of comparative advantage analysis, as the contents of MBA/EMBA education will be the same, but the recruiters' job requirement focus will be a bit different.  

Good luck
-- by 会员 windboy (2009/12/21 19:06:05)

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring insights and personal experience.  It is very helpful.

Would you mind elaborate a bit more on the job search in management consulting or IB for 30+ MBA students without prior relavant experience? Thanks in advance
发表于 2009-12-21 22:30:23 | 显示全部楼层
顶~~~
发表于 2009-12-22 03:50:46 | 显示全部楼层
Age will be of less an issue for IM, while it may be more of an issue for IBD. IM on the buyside is hard to break into in general, even more so for career switchers. Sellside IM usually means/starts with research analysis. IBD is probably the default career choice for most of MBAs, therefore the competition will be high, though the number the hires is also big. It is well known that the hours at IBD is terrible, so it will be a challeng, both mentally and physically, for those 30+s, given it usually demands a sacrifice of personal/family life. IM's hours are much better, though you do need to get up early every day.
发表于 2009-12-22 09:09:35 | 显示全部楼层
同是30+,在这留名了
发表于 2009-12-22 10:51:57 | 显示全部楼层
人生貴在折騰
agree!!! and the sucess after 折騰tastes much sweeter!
发表于 2009-12-22 13:56:09 | 显示全部楼层
I doubt whether it is worth taking MBA. We confront market's new normal and alpha return for MBA grads may never realize as before.

There is far more supply of MBA grads compared to the demand of those. The bargaining price  of MBA grads clearly drops. Working experience outweighs.

In addition, age matters. IB prefers smart new kids who can do the same job and are paid far less.

Anyway, does anyone have solid data analysis or personal cases of Chinese grads from TOP MBA? Deep appreciated if someone could share that. Let figures speak.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 00:31
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部