楼主: zonia
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Kellogg MBA / MMM 2012, 1-Y MBA 2011, JDMBA 2013 - Taking Questions

[精华] [复制链接]
31#
发表于 2010-7-22 08:36:45 | 只看该作者

Questions on Kellogg MMM

Dear Zonia,

I worked in Telecom industry for 4 years and I'm preparing the application for Kellogg MMM 2013. Thank you so much to answer my questions below :-)

Is there any disadvantage for international students to apply in R2? Or I must hurry up to catch on the R1?

I've gotten an ME degree in China. Is it acceptable by Kellogg MMM?

How about the average T score of Kellogg applicants? Mine is 102, I don't know whether I should try again for a higher score....

Support Zonia and Kellogg !
32#
发表于 2010-7-22 08:49:10 | 只看该作者
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

Think before you invest.  Good luck!
-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/21 11:12:14)

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 15:42:59)

well, you might not be eligible to sit for the bar in Cal because you are not admitted yet in China, meaning you are not a practicing attorney, and therefore may not take the Cal bar exam as an attorney applicant.  I know of a few 中国执业律师 passing the Cal bar after their respective LLM in the US, including NYU LLM in Singapore program.  

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you may write the Cal bar as a law student applicant - please go check the website for details...

Trust me, if you don't want to work with international firms as an associate (not legal consultant or legal assistant), why are you taking so much trouble for a JD, probably with financial burden of over $100k after 3 years?  It's so damn risky...
-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/22 0:52:35)

Pragh, thanks for the information! I don't look for a JD any more, but explore the possibility for a JD/MBA to achieve a career switch. I can get a 中国执业律师 after one year internship in a Chinese law firm. It's fairly straightforward.

I really appreciate if you can check with your friends with CA Bar. My bachelor degree in China is not law, so my concern is even I get a 中国执业律师, the CA court may still require 2-3 years Chinese legal education proof, as listed in their requirements. If any your friend whose undergraduate major is not law and get a CA bar through a US LLM and 中国执业律师, I will very much look forward to getting to know whether the CA court challenges the Chinese legal education. I heard there is such a rule for foreign admitted lawyers, but I can't find a real case.

Thank you very much!
33#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-22 10:12:52 | 只看该作者
Dear Zonia,

I worked in Telecom industry for 4 years and I'm preparing the application for Kellogg MMM 2013. Thank you so much to answer my questions below :-)

Is there any disadvantage for international students to apply in R2? Or I must hurry up to catch on the R1?

I've gotten an ME degree in China. Is it acceptable by Kellogg MMM?

How about the average T score of Kellogg applicants? Mine is 102, I don't know whether I should try again for a higher score....

Support Zonia and Kellogg !
-- by 会员 roro1982 (2010/7/22 8:36:45)

Hello roro1982,

R1/R2: I'd say both rounds are similar in terms of competitions, the only advantage is that in R1, adcom are at clean slate so you won't have any diversity problem (i.e. too many chinese of your backgrounds are admitted), but the best timing would be whenever you are totally ready with your package. Don't rush things just to make R1 deadline. Both R1 and R2 would have sufficient time for visa application.

Advance degree: I personally didn't see any significant problem with your ME degree, I do know a few from MMM got an advanced degree from engineering. The main question you'll have is "why after an ME, you still wanna get MMM instead of MBA". or "What "other" things this program would help you?". As long as you have genuine reasons to explain so, I bet you'll be good to go. (You can check this with the admission office who would give you the most accurate answer.)

TOEFL: Kellogg doesnt impose any cut-off marks for T, but you can take reference to other schools in the same tier, i'd say 105-110 is the safe range. But from the discussion I had with adcoms, they do adopt a holistic approach on evaluating applications, i.e. read the WHOLE file. So if you have other parts in the application, like essay, GMAT or even interview to evidence your english communication, you should be okay. Retaking or not is a personal decision taking into account many factors like your confident on improving the score, your time available for preparation, etc. Wish you good luck on either way.

Thanks for your support and interest in Kellogg's program. Please let us know if there are further questions.

Zonia
34#
发表于 2010-7-22 22:44:16 | 只看该作者
Zonia辛苦了~
35#
发表于 2010-7-22 23:49:19 | 只看该作者
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

Think before you invest.  Good luck!
-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/21 11:12:14)

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 15:42:59)

well, you might not be eligible to sit for the bar in Cal because you are not admitted yet in China, meaning you are not a practicing attorney, and therefore may not take the Cal bar exam as an attorney applicant.  I know of a few 中国执业律师 passing the Cal bar after their respective LLM in the US, including NYU LLM in Singapore program.  

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you may write the Cal bar as a law student applicant - please go check the website for details...

Trust me, if you don't want to work with international firms as an associate (not legal consultant or legal assistant), why are you taking so much trouble for a JD, probably with financial burden of over $100k after 3 years?  It's so damn risky...
-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/22 0:52:35)

Pragh, thanks for the information! I don't look for a JD any more, but explore the possibility for a JD/MBA to achieve a career switch. I can get a 中国执业律师 after one year internship in a Chinese law firm. It's fairly straightforward.

I really appreciate if you can check with your friends with CA Bar. My bachelor degree in China is not law, so my concern is even I get a 中国执业律师, the CA court may still require 2-3 years Chinese legal education proof, as listed in their requirements. If any your friend whose undergraduate major is not law and get a CA bar through a US LLM and 中国执业律师, I will very much look forward to getting to know whether the CA court challenges the Chinese legal education. I heard there is such a rule for foreign admitted lawyers, but I can't find a real case.

Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/22 8:49:10)

My friend was a law major back in college, so I'm afraid he is not a precedent you can follow.  But you have to check the Cal bar rules again, carefully, to see the requirements of attorney applicants - my gut feeling is that as long as you are practicing law in your home country, bang!  

As aside, I know for sure about the durational and substantive equivalency requirements under NY bar rules, as well as precedents of successful and unsuccessful appeals...Not sure about appeals for Cal bar eligibility.

Just go find them.  And this is a post about MBA at NWU, so I am drawing a line right here about law degrees.  Best luck on your applications.
36#
发表于 2010-7-23 08:15:53 | 只看该作者
To: pragh:

Appreciate! Can we keep on this discussion offline? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you!
37#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-28 15:45:52 | 只看该作者
up! kellogg up!
38#
发表于 2010-7-30 01:50:50 | 只看该作者
虽然觉得Kellogg很不错,但是,为啥这个帖子都是英文……
39#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-30 08:12:54 | 只看该作者
虽然觉得Kellogg很不错,但是,为啥这个帖子都是英文……
-- by 会员 pansimply (2010/7/30 1:50:50)

你好pansimply,

真的不好意思,最主要是我的中文不太好(国外长大),用英文来答会比较准确.还有就是我们引用了Kellogg的一些介绍,official copy完全是英文的.但是很欢迎你以中文问你想知道的问题,如果你对于我们的英文post又不清楚的地方也可以发问,同学们都会尽量解答....

Zonia
40#
发表于 2010-8-1 11:59:50 | 只看该作者
主要是因为我在原来的公司已经是manager了,所以2年的program对我而言,opportunity cost太大了。
但是也不是说读1年program的人就一定回原来的公司,我们这里大概有一半的人是不回的。
而且也不是所有人都有公司sponsorship,也就40%的人有sponsorship。

1年的program关键是你对于未来做什么比较清楚,比如有的人先前是做咨询的,读完后继续做咨询,短平快。
有的人原来是做PE的,毕业后还是做PE,只不过换一个公司,而不换行业。

1年的program对于那些又想换工作,又想换行业的人,会有点challenging。

不知道有没有回答你的问题?

Alex Sun
Kellogg 1Y student

I am Kellogg 1Year Program student, already start the semester in Evanston@Chicago.
If anyone has questions about 1Y program, pls feel free to let me know. thanks!

Alex Jie SUN

请教下,这1年的项目除了网上的介绍外,你觉得和2年的区别是什么,当初你为什么申请这个项目?仅仅是因为会回到原单位吗?

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/20 9:17:50)

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-20 06:01
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部