返回列表 发新帖
楼主: zonia
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Kellogg MBA / MMM 2012, 1-Y MBA 2011, JDMBA 2013 - Taking Questions

[精华] [复制链接]
21#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-20 22:15:25 | 只看该作者
Hi Zonia,
Thank you for your clarification! What do you mean that law school takes seat on screening?
To give you some of my background. I'm a qualified lawyer and have been working for US law firms in Shanghai for four years. My practice focuses on VC, M&A and FDI. My GMAT is 760 but my LSAT is 162 (fortunately NU does not require LSAT). My college major is international politics so I became the lawyer through self study. I look forward to learning financial and managerial skills and combining my law and finance knowledge to future investment positions. My career goal is to manage sovereign wealth fund and to make strategic investment globally.
I will appreciate if you can give me some application advice from your experience and your thoughts on my background.
Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 21:03:59)

Hi ttoni,

By "taking seat on screening", I mean law school would participate in reading the files for every JDMBA applicant. From your background, one question that pops up on my mind is "Why JD?" if you are already qualified, I think you need to be real clear why you'll need a JD for that matter. Actually, you may consider a LLM / Kellogg, a 1-year program from both school if you wanna advance your legal knowledge (especially if you are not practicing in the states) as well as getting Kellogg's cutting edge business education. This might give you better edge (also saving time and money) in leveraging your legal experience as JD are basically for people with limited or no prior legal knowledge.

You may find the details for the LLM / Kellogg program in the link below:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/graduate/llmkellogg/

I hope you'll find this helpful. Good luck!

Zonia
22#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-20 22:23:05 | 只看该作者
请问贵校有没有专门healthcare/pharmaceutical 方向的?
我在网上查了一下,好像没有
是么?
请问您知道哪些学校有这样的program么?
-- by 会员 gruntling (2010/7/20 19:13:04)

Hello gruntling,

我们学校也有healthcare方向的,叫 Health enterprise management, 这是它的连结: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/hema/index.htm

至于哪些学校有这样的program,其实healthcare在美国是挺热的,很多学校都有,你可以上US News & World Ranking看看。
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings/specialties+program_health_care_admin

Good luck!

Zonia
23#
发表于 2010-7-20 23:13:39 | 只看该作者
Zonia,

Common law and civil law are two different systems. In fact, some Chinese lawyers apply for JD and take the US bar exam after they practice Chinese law for a couple of years to become dual-qualified. I want a JD degree because I want to learn more about US laws and get a US bar. I want an MBA because I want to learn financial and management knowledge for pursuing an investment position in large funds which can apply my combination of legal, political and financial knowledge. So 3-year JD/MBA looks most attractive to me.

LLM/Kellogg looks nice, but I may not be eligible for US bar exam through the LLM study (because I have no first law degree in China). In addition, I think one year study is too short and may not achieve the career switch.

Many thanks for your thoughts and inputs!!!
24#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-20 23:19:29 | 只看该作者
Zonia,

Common law and civil law are two different systems. In fact, some Chinese lawyers apply for JD and take the US bar exam after they practice Chinese law for a couple of years to become dual-qualified. I want a JD degree because I want to learn more about US laws and get a US bar. I want an MBA because I want to learn financial and management knowledge for pursuing an investment position in large funds which can apply my combination of legal, political and financial knowledge. So 3-year JD/MBA looks most attractive to me.

LLM/Kellogg looks nice, but I may not be eligible for US bar exam through the LLM study (because I have no first law degree in China). In addition, I think one year study is too short and may not achieve the career switch.

-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 23:13:39)

Dear ttoni,

I do aware of the system difference, but if it's worth for investing additional three years time and cost is quite a personal choice so it'll be great if you do think JD is for you. As for bar exam, you can take NY bar with a LLM, you might research about it if you need. Anyways, it's always great to take a step forward, advancing yourself and your career.

If there is anything I can help, please let me know. Good luck!

Zonia
25#
发表于 2010-7-20 23:48:09 | 只看该作者
Dear Zonia,

Thanks so much for your detail answer, which helps me and releases my concern a lot !!
It is me that didn't read the official website in detail but here I would like to further confirm

1) does it mean that anyone beside the spouse can be the international co-signer of mine? can my parents be ? Is there any perfernce in choosing of the co-signer?i.e. the financil status, the house collaterlization?

2) looking back to the albumi, at approxiately how much can we receive the NU Loan from Kellog? Up to the two year's tuition? how many of us Chinese students get the NU Loan in poportion?

thanks so much to you in advance
-- by 会员 whereisdream (2010/7/20 11:47:59)

Hi Whereisdream,

I'm glad to be able to help. Answers are below:
1) Yes, your parents can be your co-signer, just spouse is not allowed.
2) As far as I see, NU supplies around 50% of the total study cost (tuition, board, insurance and everything included), which means normally you'll need to supply the other half. But the school is committed to provide sufficient funding for you to enrol in the program, I'm quite sure you can bargain more if you have genuine needs.
** I got answer (2) while i discuss with the Financial Aid office (which i assume to be accurate~), i personally didn't apply financial aid myself. You may refer to later posts from my classmate

Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 18:53:38)

Hi Whereisdream/Zonia,

Just add some points to the 2nd question
2) I think NU is committed to provide as much finacial aid as possible to international students, so long they demonstrate genuine financial needs. Technically, 100% loan on study cost is absolutely possible. I know some Chinese students take 70%, 80% of the total study cost. Those who come with family/spouses can even take more loan because of the additional family expenses occured. But in reality, many eligible international students are reluctant to take 100% study loan. Instead, they try to raise as much personal fund as possible to finance their study. Why? It is simply due to the high interest rates (annual rate @ 8% + one-off 4% admin fee) of the international co-signer loan.
26#
发表于 2010-7-21 08:21:53 | 只看该作者
Zonia,

-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 23:13:39)

Dear ttoni,

I do aware of the system difference, but if it's worth for investing additional three years time and cost is quite a personal choice so it'll be great if you do think JD is for you. As for bar exam, you can take NY bar with a LLM, you might research about it if you need. Anyways, it's always great to take a step forward, advancing yourself and your career.

If there is anything I can help, please let me know. Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 23:19:29)

Zonia,

Appreciate your help!  Can we communicate personally as my case is a bit special? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you very much!
27#
发表于 2010-7-21 11:12:14 | 只看该作者
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

Think before you invest.  Good luck!
28#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-21 14:53:03 | 只看该作者
Zonia,

Appreciate your help!  Can we communicate personally as my case is a bit special? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 8:21:53)

Added you already, see you on MSN~
29#
发表于 2010-7-21 15:42:59 | 只看该作者
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/21 11:12:14)

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
30#
发表于 2010-7-22 00:52:35 | 只看该作者

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/21 11:12:14)

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 15:42:59)

well, you might not be eligible to sit for the bar in Cal because you are not admitted yet in China, meaning you are not a practicing attorney, and therefore may not take the Cal bar exam as an attorney applicant.  I know of a few 中国执业律师 passing the Cal bar after their respective LLM in the US, including NYU LLM in Singapore program.  

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you may write the Cal bar as a law student applicant - please go check the website for details...

Trust me, if you don't want to work with international firms as an associate (not legal consultant or legal assistant), why are you taking so much trouble for a JD, probably with financial burden of over $100k after 3 years?  It's so damn risky...
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-20 05:46
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部