返回列表 发新帖
楼主: stanford08
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Stanford08 taking questions

[精华] [复制链接]
251#
发表于 2007-4-24 14:48:00 | 只看该作者

问题:

1.Stanford录取的学生中,是否有Human Capital Consultant背景的? 这样的咨询背景也属于是Stanford倾向录取的背景之列吗?

2.因为人力资本咨询相对于战略咨询而言,相对比较专,主要还是关注组织和人的方面,那这样的背景相对于Strategy Consulting而言,申请成功的机会如何呢?

3.另外,如果商学院毕业之后,是否有转入战略咨询或者市场的可能?

回答:

1、据我所知没有,所以我不确定是不是Stanford倾向录取的背景

2、我个人觉得没有哪个背景就一定适合或者不适合申请。Class'08的15个人里有1个投行,1个sales,1个marketing,1个accounting,1个headhunter,2个工程师,3个创业的,5个咨询,按照比例来讲似乎咨询多一些,但是我们不知道申请者里有多少是咨询背景。其实远远比职业背景重要的是你的优秀程度,三百六十行,行行出状元,从军人到老师,从运动员到政府官员,几乎所有的行当都有成功案例。最关键的是证明你的优秀和你的价值,至于具体证明的方式那就仁者见仁智者见智。退一步讲,即使有某一个行当是更合适的,那么这个优势适用于所有那个行当的申请人,于是所谓优势也变小了。

3、从商学院毕业之后你几乎可以做任何你想做的事情——事实上这是来这里的主要好处之一,也是很多人来这里的重要原因之一,事实上很多人也是这么做的(百分之七八十的毕业生最终或者换了industry或者换了function)。

最后给你一点点建议:我觉得你的思维有点局限。你考虑的东西稍微有些偏重细节,你真的觉得你一辈子就会做你现在做的行当了吗?我想多半应该是不确定,于是考虑申请这个问题的时候最好多从五年十年甚至五十年的角度去考虑——你真正想要得到什么你真是喜欢什么你适合什么,考虑清楚了之后剩下的细节就迎刃而解了。假设你非常确定,那高屋建瓴的考虑一下自己个人发展的问题也是很有好处的。毕竟Stanford宣扬的是培养Leader,而不是manager。如果一个人仅仅想做一个manager,上商学院几乎是一种浪费。

252#
发表于 2007-4-26 19:45:00 | 只看该作者
谢谢tuxiaoyang的回复,我无论如何也会试试申请stanford的,毕竟是个美好的梦想与追求,呵呵
253#
发表于 2007-5-20 00:00:00 | 只看该作者
Stanford admit college graduate directly out of school. Does anyone know their qualificiations? I want to compare myself with them. I saw in the earilier post saying that no chinese undergraduate has gotten admitted into Stanford directly yet. I guess i'm trying to be the first. It'd be great if someone can help me find out that information.
254#
发表于 2007-5-20 02:14:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用greatprc在2007-5-20的发言:
Stanford admit college graduate directly out of school. Does anyone know their qualificiations? I want to compare myself with them. I saw in the earilier post saying that no chinese undergraduate has gotten admitted into Stanford directly yet. I guess i'm trying to be the first. It'd be great if someone can help me find out that information.

you count admits from all top 10 schools, you will barely find admits fresh out of college. i once saw on the bw some guy saying he is college kid but admitted by stanford. i remember he had very unique experience. he is an american. you first have two year of quality experience, your chance will be significantly bigger. two-year is fast..

255#
发表于 2007-5-20 18:28:00 | 只看该作者
what's "bw", so the american kid has a very unique experience? where can i find details on his/her qualification? if you remember any, can you tell me as well? i'm a chinese kid in america looking forward to compete with white kids and show them what it means by "made in china"
256#
发表于 2007-5-26 19:20:00 | 只看该作者

Based on what I know, Stanford admitted 6 students straight from undergrad in the class of 2008. That is 6 out of 370. I think it’s fair to say that it’s pretty darn difficult to get in any good b-school without some working experience. But if you have a good story and some truly unique and amazing accomplishments (study, work, and life), you definitely have a chance. The worst possible outcome is that you don’t get in, barring the two hundred some dollars application fee; you really have nothing to lose.

However, some people may argue that you may not get as much from the program without some solid life experience. To a certain degree, it’s also not fair to the other students, who are trying to learn from their fellow students as much as from the professors. I think that explains why most good b-schools don’t admit too many “super young” applicants.

I recommend that you read the application requirements thoroughly. Everything is there: what you need to be, what you need to prove, what they value, how you will be judged, etc. In a sense, young or old, everyone starts from square one – age doesn’t matter as long as you can prove you are a worthy candidate.

By the way, BW stands for BusinessWeek Forum. If you are seriously thinking about applying, now is a good time to do some research. One final word of advice, the application process is not a competition, in that the result of the competition is only the beginning not the end. You should have a good reason to apply, and this reason should not be: 1) I want to be the first Chinese to do it, or 2) I can compete head to head with those white kids. There are so many ways to pursue a happy life, getting an MBA is only one of them, and not necessarily the best one.

Good luck!

257#
发表于 2007-6-7 12:51:00 | 只看该作者

[此贴子已经被作者于2007-6-13 12:17:38编辑过]
258#
发表于 2007-6-26 13:59:00 | 只看该作者
i'm currently in Stanford GSB's Summer Institute of General Management. All MBA style teaching w/ MBA faculties. Pretty cool. i was lucky to have my internship company sponsored my tuition... i still have one more year to graduate from undergrad.
259#
发表于 2007-6-27 15:58:00 | 只看该作者

想征询一下各位的意见。我现在在加拿大读本科,07年8月毕业后去deloitte做审计和税。

目前为止的工作经验只有16个月的full-time实习经验(都是会计经验)和另外16 个月在学校做TA的经验(算是part-time).

也就是说到08年9月我才有16个月(co-op)+12个月(deloitte)的经验,再加上上面所说的TA经验(估计这个不值钱:)

还没有考GMAT,本科GPA是3.90。我基本上可以要到我学校里很多教授和以前实习单位的reference。年龄25。

但是由于我一直很想从事IB,consulting的工作,所以觉得还是想念一个MBA。我已经考过了CFA LEVEL 1,明年6月再考2级。

我知道我的工作经验很不足,但是还是想问问大家我值不值得报名试试。这意味着我要考GMAT和准备其他材料,但这些我都能做到。

多谢大家给小弟的建议!MSN:  simonz82@msn.com

260#
发表于 2007-7-3 14:58:00 | 只看该作者

如果你打算申请Stanford,那么你的工作经验的确不能算非常出色。但是这不等于你不能申请,只要你在其他方面能够补偿你在工作经验上的不足还是有希望的。记住,学校想要录取的是优秀的人,优秀的定义很广泛,证明优秀的方式也很多,你一定要全面准确的展示你自己。

By the way,教授的推荐信最好不要用,TA的经验也没有特别大的价值。你本来就有点缺乏实际经验,所以你现在需要从某种程度上和“学校”“划清界线”——除非你在学校里的经历有很多超出常人的地方。话说回来,其实具体做什么虽然重要但也不是全部;关键是你从你的经历中学到了什么看到了感受到了什么对你有什么影响让你有什么打算等等。我想我们都听说过有非常出众经验和考分的人没有被好学校录取的例子,我觉得可能性有二:一、录取是一个有许多偶然因素的过程,被录取了不一定能说明优秀,不被录取不一定说明不优秀;二、如果一个人没有好好利用自己的成就和成绩来展现自己,学校会有一些顾虑:既然这个人如此优秀为什么她/他不懂得好好包装自己?如果不认真的准备申请,是不是说明他/她并不非常重视读MBA?这个人是不是仅仅是聪明而努力但是却不成熟缺乏远见和胸襟?

总而言之我的建议是你仔细挖掘一下自己过去的经历,多问问自己为什么要走现在要走的路,看看前边帖子的讨论,仔细研究一下斯坦福的网站和申请材料,然后给自己制定一个策略。所有申请材料都要围绕这个策略展开。祝你好运!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-30 01:33
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部