LZ 加油! 和你一起练习ING...
25#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-3 20:41:53 | 只看该作者
【越障1-3】 10min....
要死了,今天这篇短的竟然看了十分钟,不过感觉写的还挺清晰的,文章难度跟GMAT比较相近
开头用杰斐逊时期的西进运动做喻,引出NOAA的目标,即探索阿拉斯加西(?)海岸线旁未知的arctic 水域。
第二段讲了这片水域的重要性,组成了美国海域的多少之类
第三段讲了为什么获取arctic水域的数据比较难。就是冰面在减少,到几十年之后夏天完全没有冰川覆盖了,这导致开游艇去调查的成本将会大大提高
第四段(之后的顺序记不到了) 不过NOAA在某一个水域数据搜集获得了进展,这为制作最终的autical chart做了贡献,然后有讲这个chart的意义和作用。
第五段讲这个chart对一些与海相关的灾害的防治有作用。
第六段讲需要在探索,灾害防治,经济效益等因素间取得一个平衡,这里引用了一个例子,即在阿拉斯加还有很多人是纯靠海捕为生,而这片水域面临的变化以及越来越频繁的科考将对这些人的收入带来影响。
最后一段,NOAA现在及未来的工作计划总结。

感觉好像总结力有提升,但是肯定还是有很多错,有小伙伴如果也在做越障,可以把内容结构回顾发出来,一起比对一下呀~
26#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-3 20:57:58 | 只看该作者
今天这篇从The Atlantic 摘的,原址

【速度 1-3】
计时1
Why Kids Want Things
Aconversation with a researcher who has studied materialism for almost 30 years
When Marsha Richins started researching materialism inthe early 1990s, it was a subject that had mostly been left to philosophers andreligious thinkers. In the intervening decades, Richins, a professor ofmarketing at the University of Missouri’s Trulaske College of Business, andothers have contributed a good deal of academic research that backs up some ofthe wariness people have, formillennia, expressed about the pursuit of worldly things.
Onefocus of Richins’s research has been how that pursuit begins in childhood, andin particular accelerates in middle school. That’s the time when kids, onaverage, givethe most materialistic responses to the question of what makesthem happy. In apaper published last year, Richins described how the social dynamicsof middle school can lead children to place more importance on owning andhaving things. (Movies, TV, the internet, media, advertising, and parents’ ownhabits, of course, can have similar effects.)
Irecently spoke with Richins about this process, as well as the challenges, forparents, of providingcounter-programming to middle school’s codes of behavior. Theconversation that follows has been edited for length and clarity.
Joe Pinsker: How does a typicalmiddle-schooler learn that materialism can help them navigate everyday life?
(221 words)

计时2
MarshaRichins: I think of seventh grade asbeing the worst age of a person’s life. It’s really a fraught time, and there’sall this insecurity that kids have about, “Who am I? Do people like me? Whatkind of person am I?” So, how do we navigate that? Well, our appearance is oneof the things we navigate with. So, what does a kid see when they see anotherkid? They see the expression on their face, they see the body language, theposture, and the clothes they’re wearing. And so a kid who’s not veryself-confident in navigating this is going to maybe feel a little moreself-confident if they’re wearing the right kind of clothes rather than thewrong kind of clothes. Here we’re learning, right off the bat, that havingthings can help us define who we are.
Pinsker: Can you talk a bit about what the alternative is to dwellingon physical stuff—the “intangible resources” that kids have for makingconversation, like who they are and things they’re good at?
Richins: I have this hypothesis, which I’ve not really been able totest. It seems to me that if a child has certain intangible resources—maybethey play a musical instrument and they’re in the band—they would maybe developsome friendships based around that shared experience. Maybe their parents aresaying, “Wow, I’m so proud of you for sticking with band and you’re practicingyour trumpet.” This can give a child a sense of who they are beyond justpossessions, but that’s an intangible thing. So if kids have more things likeathletic skills or activities that they can talk about or form connections withfriends over those things, they can feel good about themselves through manydifferent kinds of things. And if you’re lacking other kinds of things—ifyou’re lacking intangible resources—you might want to fall back on tangibleresources.
(320 words)
计时3
Pinsker: You’ve been talking about the middle-school phase, but kidsinternalize materialist messages at younger ages too, right?
Richins: Yes, they do. One of my co-authors, Lan Chaplin, has done someof the definitive work with children and materialism, and she finds bigdifferences over time—it gets more pronounced right around middle-school age.For instance, she haskids make collages. She gives them words on paper and asks, “Howimportant are these things to you?” And then they put the most important thingson their collage. As the kids get to middle-school age, more and more tangiblethings get on there and a larger percent of them are actual things, as opposedto activities or other people.
Pinsker: Based on your research, are there any interventions parentscan stage as their children start to put sometimes too much value on materialthings?

Richins: We don’t really know becausewe haven’t really studied interventions, but I do a lot of surveys with peoplebetween the ages of 20 and 40, and I ask them to describe who they are now andto reflect on their childhood. Now, we have to be very clear that this is avery imperfect method of getting data about people’s childhoods, because thereare all kinds of memory biases. But one of the most consistent findings is theassociation between the person’s current level of materialism and how theyperceived their parents using things when they were growing up.
(244 words)

计时4
So in other words, parents who act in ways that value things,parents who make a lot of sacrifices to get a lot of things, parents who get alot of joy from buying things, parents who talk a lot about things—they tend tohave adult children who act the same way. Now, part of this is probably somebias as people recall their childhoods, but I don’t think that’s all of it. Thehelpful thing for parents here—and also the harmful—is yes, peers are reallyimportant, but our kids are watching us. Our kids are learning from us. A lotof what kids take to be normal comes from what they see us doing. Kids aregoing to learn what their relationship with products should be by looking atour relationship with products. So we can’t entirely override peers, but wecertainly can have influence in that way.
Pinsker: Andfrom what I understand, that connects to the research you’ve done on whenparents offer physical things as rewards.
Richins: Rewardsand punishments, yes. And those can be earned or unearned rewards. So that’sanother reasonablystrong association: Children who recall that their parents justbought them stuff when they wanted it, or who paid them money or bought themthings when they got good grades, there’s a very consistent association thatwhen these things happen in childhood, when that person is an adult, they’remore likely to be materialistic.
(242 words)
计时5
And I’m looking now at what parents do when their kid’s unhappy,or upset, or they have a big disappointment—how do parents deal with that? Andmy preliminary evidence suggests that it’s something that’s learned inchildhood. The parents might say, “Oh, you didn’t make it on to the team—let’sgo out and have something to eat,” or, “Let’s go out and get you a new videogame—that’ll take your mind off it.” Well, if the parents do that with theirkids, we find that as adults, people are more likely to deal with distress inthe same way, by giving themselves a little gift.
Pinsker: Hasdoing this research changed the way you parent?
Richins: Iremember I started this research when my daughter was in seventh grade,actually. [Laughs] So I didn’t have the results ofthe research. But would I have done anything differently? Probably not. I neverthought it was a good idea to reward children tangibly for the things that theydo, because I don’t think life works that way—there are a lot of things youhave to do and you don’t get any reward for them. Your reward is, you get tostay alive or you get to keep your job.
Idid do material punishments quite a bit, though—taking stuff away, like, “Thistoy has to go away because you were disrespectful.” That was really the onlything that worked with my daughter, who has a pretty good mind of her own.
Pinsker: Andwhen you did that, and she complained, did you get to respond that it wasbacked up by the research?

Richins: No.[Laughs] I didn’t have any research then,and plus, you know, a seventh grader is not impressed by that. I played theresearch card with my daughter all the time—not necessarily with my research,but as in, “Research shows that blah blah blah.”She just got tired of hearing that. It carried no weight whatsoever.
(334 words)

27#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-3 21:07:39 | 只看该作者
先把越障发了( 原址https://phys.org/news/2018-08-earth-oxygen-gradual-big.html), 明天晚上来补速度

【越障1-4】
Earth's oxygen increased in gradual steps rather than big bursts (自然地理)A carbon cycle anomaly discovered in carbonate rocks of the Neoproterozoic Hüttenberg Formation of north-eastern Namibia follows a pattern similar to that found right after the Great Oxygenation Event, hinting at new evidence for how Earth's atmosphere became fully oxygenated.

By using the Hüttenberg Formation, which formed between a billion and half a billion years ago, to study the time between Earth's change from an anoxic environment (i.e. one lacking oxygen) to a more hospitable environment that heralded the animal kingdom, a team of researchers led by Dr. Huan Cui of the NASA Astrobiology Institute at the University of Wisconsin–Madison discovered a sustained, high level of carbon. This influx of carbon, coupled with changes in other elements, indicates how changing levels of oceanic oxygen may have lent a helping hand to early animal evolution.
The study, published in the journal Precambrian Research,paired new oxygen, sulfur, and strontium isotope data, with carbon isotope data published in 2009, obtained from drill core samples from the Hüttenberg Formation. Together, the data provides further evidence that Earth's oxygen increased in a stepwise fashion, as opposed to being constrained to two major events capping the Proterozoic (a geological epoch that lasted between 2.5 billion and 541 million years ago). The resulting pattern of changing redox reactions (i.e. reactions involving oxygenation and reduction via the exchange of electrons) was named the Hüttenberg Anomaly, after the rock formation in which it was found.
The University of Maryland's Dr. Alan J. Kaufman, who is the second author of the study and the lead author of the 2009 carbon isotope study, says that the paired data "suggest that the rise of oxygen was oscillatory through this 50- to 75-million year intervalassociated with the Hüttenberg Anomaly and the Neoproterozoic Oxidation Event or NOE at the end of the Proterozoic."

The anomaly shows how the carbon isotope ratios (13C/12C) experienced a sustained 12 to 14 parts per thousand increase in abundance for roughly 15 million years before returning to prior low levels. As oxygen levels in the ocean increased, sulfides were converted to sulfates, which some microbes use in their metabolism to digest and recycle organic carbon on the seafloor. The isotopes of oxygen, carbon, and sulfur moved in tandem during the Hüttenberg Anomaly, convincing the scientists that what they were seeing wasn't just a coincidence.

Wild fluctuations
Although it has long been accepted that high levels of atmospheric oxygen paved the way for animals to populate the Earth, global carbon and oxygen cycles fluctuated wildly during the Proterozoic, between the time when oxygen first accumulated in the atmosphere during the Great Oxygenation Event (GOE) around 2.4 billion years ago, and the time in which they stabilized near to modern levels once animals took the world stage following the NOE, around 500 million years ago.

During the time between those two events, pulses of unicellular life and variable levels of oxygen in the oceans are thought to have stimulated the evolution of more complex life. These ancient oxygen swings were crucial to the evolution of multicellular life at the Precambrian–Cambrian boundary (541 million years ago; the Cambrian is a geological period that marked the origin and diversification complex animal life on Earth). As pools of oxygenated water grew in the ocean, life was given the opportunity to develop towards a future when oxygen would be at stable and high levels. The Hüttenberg Anomaly represents one such window of opportunity for life.

Kaufman compares the jump in oxygen to another oxygen oasis in time, the Lomagundi event right after the GOE. The Lomagundi event has been described as a false start, when oxygen concentrations rose to levels that could support some life, before decreasing again. It wouldn't be until the NOE that oxygen would rise to modern-day levels.

"Here's an isotope anomaly in the Neoproterozoic that is associated broadly in time with the NOE, but which has a rise and fall structure that looks very similar to the GOE," Kaufman tells Astrobiology Magazine. "At both ends of the Proterozoic Eon there was continental rifting, glaciations, and profound carbon fluctuations; just as the GOE was likely responsible for the evolution of simple eukaryotes, the NOE was involved in the evolution of multicellularity."

So the GOE ushered in eukaryotes, which are microbes with cells containing a nucleus wrapped by a membrane, and the NOE ushered in even more complex animals. These exceptional events in Earth's history each harbored an evolutionary test pool that fostered new lifeforms. How exactly the Hüttenberg Anomaly fits into these events or exactly what evolutionary consequence it had still remains to be seen.
(775 words)

28#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-4 20:24:21 | 只看该作者
【速度1-3】
58s, +5行, +1行, 55s, +5行
29#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-4 20:58:07 | 只看该作者
【越障1-4】
这篇文章主要证明地球含氧量上升的猜想,以及介绍了这个使含氧量上升的机理。
第一段,一个evidence, 即Numbia 东北部的一个Hutternburg(?)碳酸盐的形成与几百万年前氧气产生留下的痕迹一样,所以氧气在慢慢增加。
第二段,介绍了这个Hutternburg过程可以测出地球从一个无氧环境到一个有氧环境经过的时间。
第三段,介绍了两个研究,从两个方面证明氧气含量如何增高。
第四段,提到C的同位素的原子质量(?),水中微生物的形成代谢会形成含C化物,然后C,O的同位素质量都有了相关联的变化,绝非巧合
第五段好像说氧气一开始含量少,只有水中的微生物生存,后来经过几百万年才慢慢到了现在稳定的水平。
第六段最开始只有单细胞生物,然后这种单细胞生物如何通过含氧量增加的帮助,变成了多细胞。

其他不记得了
30#
发表于 2018-9-5 08:49:48 | 只看该作者
快考试了!和楼主一起练练!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 07:45
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部