32#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-5 11:34:55 | 只看该作者
今天回去重温了一下神猴的帖子,发现速度训练确实存在打完卡就走然而不知所云的嫌疑,所以我决定还是在读完速度帖后写一个简单总结。
以及越障回忆之后会遵循这样一个结构: 全文目的+文章怎样表现这个目的, 每段大意
33#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-5 11:53:40 | 只看该作者
【速度1-4】从本次开始,速度练习写大意总结计时1  306 words

Law & Order: Hate Crimes Is a Thing That Is Happening

Dick Wolf is back at it again. NBC has ordered yet another spinoff from the Law & Order creator, this one a 13-episode series called, and I swear I am not making this up, Law & Order: Hate Crimes. According to Variety, the show is based on New York’s real Hate Crimes Task Force and will be introduced in the upcoming 20th season of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. The new show was co-created by SVU showrunner Warren Leight.

Last year, the Law & Order franchise introduced a true-crime spinoff that dedicated an entire season to the case of the Menendez brothers. Now, even as Wolf works his way through every department in the NYPD to wring new shows out of them, Law & Order: Hate Crimes stillsounds like an SNL parody of Law & Order under the Trump administration, really leaning into the show’s reputation for ripped-from-the-headlines plots.

“20 years ago when SVU began, very few people felt comfortable coming forward and reporting these crimes,” Wolf said in a statement. “But when you bring the stories into people’s living rooms—with characters as empathetic as Olivia Benson—a real dialogue can begin. That’s what I hope we can do with this new show in a world where hate crimes have reached an egregious level.”

Look, maybe Wolf really does have the best of intentions, but creating a procedural about violence inflicted on marginalized groups, especially one where the police are the heroes, at a time like this? The entire concept seems designed to provoke. Think about it: Are we really ready for a hypothetical, thinly veiled analogue to Unite the Right with special guest star Jesse Plemons wearing khakis and holding a tiki torch? I’m exhausted just imagining the resulting Twitter arguments .

计时2 257 words
This Fancy 4-Ingredient Party Starter Is Secretly Cheaper ThanMaking Onion Dip
The very best dinner party starters aren’t just there to buy youtime to get the rest of dinner buttoned up (or, conversely, to absorb thedrinks while the rest of dinner remains un-buttoned).

No, the very best ones act as ice-breakers in themselves—a littlesurprise to kick-start the conversation, some hands-on fun to set people atease. And better still if they require about four ingredients and zero time,but look casually cookbook-cover gorgeous, all the same. (Also if they—despitesome fancy-sounding components—cost less than making DIY onion dip, simply because ofthe modest number and sheer power of the ingredients.)

I was lucky to come across one of these specimens at a dinnerparty recently, when Farideh Sadeghin, culinarydirector of Munchies,set out a plate of tiny radishes pulled from their rooftop garden, alongside abowl of vanilla butter and a smaller one of crunchy salt. The idea was sonovel, the vanilla butter so hauntingly delicious that once the radishes weregone, we dipped ruffled potato chips in the butter instead. This all gave us a lot totalk about.

arideh told me that she’d learned thisvanilla-butter-as-party-starter trick from chef AlexRaij, who had stopped by the Munchies test kitchen to bust out a roof garden-inspireddinner. But when I reached out to Raij about the recipe, I learned therewas much more behind her thinking (and vanilla butter’s allure) than a simplecombination of good ingredients.

计时3 311 words
Raij was initially inspired by a snack at delicatessen in Romecalled Roscioli thatcombined salty Spanish anchovies with curls of cold vanilla butter. “I was soenchanted with it, I came home and put it on everything now,” Raij said. Hertake on Roscioli’s dish, a deliberately plain cracker with a thin tube ofvanilla butter and a very good-quality Spanish anchovy, has been on the menu ather NYC restaurant El Quinto Pino ever since,and she riffs on it often for parties, big and small.

Her connection to this dish isn’t an accident. For one thing,raised in an Argentine family, she grew up on compound butters (at steakhouses,it was common to be served butters mixed with anchovy and hard boiled egg orRoquefort along with grilled meats).

The next part of her story took me by surprise. “What’s important is thetemperature of the butter,” she told me. “It should be plastic and cold.” Thissounds nothing like what I’d expect to hear from a chef or others who spendtheir time fixating on ideal states of food—which, for butter, I thought, wascreamy-soft and spreadable. What else explains the booming butter keeper industry onFood52? And yet: “I have this thing about it being chilled,” she said. “I’mobsessed with it.”

This, too, stems from her childhood, when butter was always keptin the fridge, never left out to soften. “My cinnamon toast was always torn,with chunks of solid butter,” Raij explained. “Like crystallized honey, overtime that came to be the way I liked it.” And I finally understood. I likethose that way, too. I too aim for the unmelted spots of heavily butteredtoast, before they disappear. But I’ve never talked about it with other people,let alone read validating instructions in a cookbook: Servethe butter cold and plastic.
计时4 256 words
Even if you grew up, like some of Raij’s childhood friends, in asoft-butter household, there are other good reasons to keep the butter cold here.When confronted with a bite of sharp radish and a concentrated hit of salt, thebutter cools them both, letting the 170 or so aromatic compoundsin vanilla release as the butter melts on your tongue.

Here, out of all the ways Raij described using vanilla butter inour conversation,* we have two almost-equally simple ways to serve it at aparty: one rustically beautiful with a pot of butter and whole radishes piledon a board, à la Farideh; one fancied up a little, with slices of butter andradish on crackers, à la Raij. Both served cold.
Why I’m Swapping Chia for Basil Seeds (at Least Sometimes)What exactly are basilseeds?
The seeds are, as their name suggests, from the Thaibasil plant (not the holybasil plant). They’re similar in size to chia seeds, and also becomegelatinous when wet—though they still retain their crunchy interior.

Also called sabja in Indianculture the seeds have a mild floral flavor and are typically used as athickening agent for beverages. One especially popular drink featuring basilseeds is faluda,a dessert beverage from India which is a combination of soaked basil seeds,rose syrup, vermicelli noodles, and milk. Sometimes it’s even topped off withice cream. The drink is consumed during hot months in India, as basil seeds are believed to have cooling and soothingproperties.

计时5 265 words
“I’vebeen enjoying faluda for as long as I can remember, though I particularlyassociate it with Saturdays,” shares Associate Editor Nikkitha Bakshani.“It was something my family and I would drink after an afternoon movie, say, orin lieu of the usual tea and biscuits at home. Basil seeds are my favorite partof faluda—yes, even more than the rose milk—because it gives the whole drink agelatinous, en-route-to-panna-cotta texture that drives my entire family wild.Seriously; my mom is known to spontaneously break into a demand for faluda.”

Are there health benefits?
Basil and its seeds have been used in Chinese and ayurvedic medicine practices for centuries.They’re most well-known for being a digestive aid andsoothing upset stomachs.

According to the ladies of C&J Nutrition, our health knowledge gurus,some preliminary research in mice shows thatthere may be a connection between basil seed extract and reduced complicationsof type 2 diabetes (though the connection to humans remains unclear). They’realso rumored to help relieve constipation, most likely becausethey contain dietary fiber. Not exactly the sexiest of properties, but hey—it’suseful.
Basil leaves are high in Vitamin K, which reduces risk ofblood clotting. We can hazard a guess that these benefits will extend to basilseeds as well, though it’s not 100% clear.

On the whole, very little scientific research has beendone on basil seeds to date, perhaps due to the fact that they’re still apretty niche product in the U.S. But regardless, they’re delicious and a funingredient to incorporate into your summer repertoire.

34#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-6 11:35:31 | 只看该作者
【速度1-4】
计时:+1行,+2行, +3行, 1min, +4行
第一个: NBC 的一个节目,内容是真实hate crimes。必要性:之前关于这方面的报道比较克制,希望之后能够实时报道这些hate crimes
第二个: 关于一道洋葱相关的菜和背后的故事。菜谱,做这个菜很厉害的大厨,然后提到这个菜的秘诀在于一个vanilla Butter, 他从一个女士学到的。然后就讲这个女士与vanilla butter 的故事
第三个:科普 一种泡水喝的东西,叫basil seeds。先讲了是啥:泡在饮料里,增加咀嚼口感。采访了一个人,讲饮料好啊我超爱喝。 最后讲seeds的好处,中药材,能帮助消化,减少心血管疾病,vitamin K等等
35#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-7 11:51:28 | 只看该作者
【越障1-5】 (830 words)
Backward ran sentences…
To the relief of physicists, time really does have a preferred direction  (科技)
TIME seems to flow inexorably in one direction. Superficially, that is because things deteriorate with age—and this, in turn, is because there are innumerably fewer ways to arrange particles in an orderly fashion than in a jumbled mess. Any change in an existing arrangement is therefore likely to increase its disorder.

Dig a little deeper, though, and time’s arrow becomes mysterious. A particle cannot, by itself, become disordered, so when you examine its behaviour in isolation the past and the future are hard to distinguish. If you film its movement and then give the film to someone else, he will not be able to work out just from the particle’s behaviour which way to run the film through the projector. Essentially, the two ways of doing so are symmetrical. Or so physicists used to think until hints to
the contrary emerged in the 1960s. Now a group of researchers at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, near Stanford University in California, have found the first physical evidence that backs those indications up.

The main hint that nature violates the time-reversal (T) symmetry implied by the thought experiment with the film—and thus that there really is an arrow of time—came from seemingly disparate discoveries about matter and antimatter. Mathematically, particles and their anti-versions differ in two ways: they have opposite electrical charges and they are each other’s mirror reflections. But in 1964 some particles called kaons were shown not to respect this charge-conjugation/parity (CP) symmetry, as it is known. Matter and antimatter are not, in other words, quite equal and opposite. However, according to another law, C, P and T symmetries, when lumped together into a single, overarching CPT symmetry, must be conserved. This means that if CP is violated, then T must be too, in order to even things out.

…until reeled the mind

The obvious place to look for this T violation is where C and P are already known to misbehave. Between 1999 and 2008 a laboratory in California was set up to do just that. The old linear accelerator at Stanford was repurposed, turning it from the machine that co-discovered a particle known as the charm quark (thus winning its operators a Nobel prize) into a factory for making particles called B mesons. These are interesting because they and their antiparticles exhibit CP-violating tendencies. They are thus a promising place to look for T violations, too.

Which is what the scientists of SLAC’s BaBar experiment have been doing. Though the B-meson factory itself has been silent for four years (the accelerator is now in its third incarnation, as the world’s most powerful X-ray camera), its data live on, and the collaborators have been ploughing through them. They are looking in particular at how long it takes a B-meson to change its nature, focusing on one particular member of the extended B-meson family, the electrically neutral B0.

As with many things quantum, B0 can exist in a number of forms. These are known as B, B-bar, B-plus and B-minus. Like a subatomic werewolf, a B0 constantly shifts between them. If time truly has an arrow, though, some of these shifts will occur at a different rate when going in one direction rather than the other. In particular, CP-violation theory predicts that B-bar will turn into B-minus faster than B-minus turns into B-bar. All that remains is to measure the difference.

Unfortunately, that is not as easy as it sounds. A particle’s final state can be known by looking at what other sorts of particle it decays into. What cannot easily be known is what it was beforehand, and for how long.

In the wacky world of quantum physics, however, it is not always impossible to work out what a particle once was but no longer is. That is because B-mesons are sometimes born as quantum-mechanically conjoined twins. One twin gives away the initial state of the other and how long it lasted in that state—and all is revealed.

That revelation, which has been submitted for publication to Physical Review Letters, leaves no room for doubt: B-bars turn into B-minuses far faster than B-minuses turn into B-bars. As many as five B-minuses are produced for every B-bar. The chance of this result being a fluke is a nugatory one in 1043. Going forwards is thus not the same as going backwards, and time’s arrow really does exist.

36#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-7 15:01:23 | 只看该作者
【越障1-5】 7 min 42s
这篇是在实习夹缝中读的,有点昏昏沉沉,但是感觉结构其实蛮清楚的,中后几段在讲科学原理,似乎有点脱节,但是看到最后有顿悟的感觉。
主旨: 起初人们认为一个小粒子是无法反映整体的,仅从一个片段我们也无法判断时间流动是否有方向。但是最近科学家实验发现一种粒子B,B- bar变成B-Minus的速度快于后者变成B-bar的速度,由此推出时间是有方向的。
结构: 总介绍一个disputed topic和矛盾点 ; 分:实验涉及的物理理论,实验过程,实验结果; 结论
每段大意:
一二段: 时间方向很难找到,因为认为一个片段是无法判断整体流动方向的。此处用了很多例子。
三四段:SLAC例粒子加速实验找出了问题的答案。先铺垫了一个物理常识,即粒子主要有三种对称方式: T, C, P。 当粒子有异于这三种对称方式的时候, 就证明time arrow(逻辑链我没有很懂)
五六段:介绍了一下这个SLAC干啥子的,即是想研究B这种粒子变成B -Bar, 和M - minus的时间长短和维持状态时间;然后讲了一下这个实验的可能性。
结尾段:结论,就是我之前说的那个。
37#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-7 15:04:45 | 只看该作者
超小声的问一句,有人一起练吗?可以一起把测时结果和回忆发上来哈,十分希望和大家一起讨论阅读的心路历程。
现在有点那个啥,一个人的喜马拉雅?一个人的奥林匹克?马拉松?(那部电影是啥来着,忘辽)的感觉
38#
发表于 2018-9-7 19:39:36 | 只看该作者
进击的智人阿飞 发表于 2018-9-7 15:04
超小声的问一句,有人一起练吗?可以一起把测时结果和回忆发上来哈,十分希望和大家一起讨论阅读的心路历程 ...

有啊,感谢楼主的分享。我这个月要第五战,哇哇哇~估计没什么人像我这么惨的。找了gmat的复习机构,砸了两万大洋进去,机构后来看我的考试战线拉得太长了就不管了,承诺的考到满意分数为止也不算数了,问题都不搭理了,极其不负责任。现在只好自己复习,我最近也在攻阅读,估计阅读上去了,我想考的分数也就到了。已经跟你的帖子练习三天了,速度貌似有提高,但是越障文章一场,就分心,找不到文章脉络了……
39#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-7 23:05:01 | 只看该作者
Wilma_dc 发表于 2018-9-7 19:39
有啊,感谢楼主的分享。我这个月要第五战,哇哇哇~估计没什么人像我这么惨的。找了gmat的复习机构,砸了 ...

加油啊,我下个月也要再考~
越障的文章我选的是比较难的原文,没有缩减过,所以我自己有时候读完了也记不到开头了哈哈哈
我的感觉是这样,读的时候勉强都是有印象的,读完了之后啥都不确定,心里也很慌,只能往死里回忆结构,最开始简直漏的很多,最近好些了,所以发现强迫记忆,逼自己不回视还是有用的。
BTW, Wilma有试过小安阅读法吗,过几天我准备开始小安阅读暴力突破一下
40#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-9-8 00:07:03 | 只看该作者
【速度 1-5】
计时1 (292 words)

FallingCurrencies Lead to Fear of Contagion
Fear is growing in financial markets aroundthe world. First, it was Argentina. Then came Turkey, South Africa andIndonesia.

Investors and policy-making officials are worried about the falling value of currencies of several emerging markets. Most of these developing countries have borrowed a lot of money, oftenin United States dollars. As the value of their national currency falls against the dollar, the amount they have to repay grows larger. This has caused fears of a repeat of the 1997 Asian financial crisis or of Mexico's financial crisis in 1994.

Why? One word: contagion.

Contagion means that economic concerns move from one country toanother, bringing down currency values and stock markets. Contagion could affect every country in the world. The value of Argentina's money, the peso,fell 29 percent against the U.S. dollar in August. Next, Turkey's currency lost 25 percent of its value. South Africa's rand had an almost 10 percent drop. The Indonesian rupiah fell to its lowest level since 1997. India's currency alsofell.

Now September has arrived, and those currencies are still down.The Turkish lira is now down 40 percent against the dollar. Turkey's privatebanks and businesses have large debts in dollars and there is concern they might not have the money to repay those debts.
Foreign exchange markets are nervous. Traders are worried morecountries may be added to the list. They are looking at African nations like Angola, Ghana, Ethiopia and Mozambique.

Another example is Iran. The Iranian currency has fallen morethan 140 percent since the United States withdrew from the 2015 nuclear dealfour months ago. Oil companies and other industries have been forced to leaveIran and the economy is in trouble.

计时2 (301 words)

Even some of the world's more developed economies may be affected. Financial experts are closely watching Chile, Polandand Hungary. They say those three countries have foreign currency debts above50 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Private, non-government, debt in emerging and developing countries is larger than it was during the 2008 financial crisis.The bigger thedebt, the harder the fall.
"The risk is increasing in those countries," warns Bertrand Delgado, director of international markets forSociete Generale in New York.

Among investors and policy makers, there is agreement about why emerging marketsare in trouble. They largely blame three developments:
1. – Investors are worried about U.S. President Donald Trump'strade war with China and other countries.
2. - Rising U.S. interest rates have made investors pull their money from emerging markets and put it into dollar investments.
3. – After the 2008 financial crisis, the U.S. Federal Reserveand the European Central Bank increased the supply of money to help with the economic recovery. Now they have begun to tighten the money supply. There is less money to borrow, and it costs more to borrow it.

A financial crash?

Marcus Ashworth of Bloomberg said last week that theemerging-markets situation looks like contagion.
"The difficulties for emerging markets have entered anew phase," he said, adding that contagion is moving to other countries.

Other market watchers are less worried. They believe each country with falling currencies have their own problems that are causing thesituation. But they agree that another interest rate rise by the U.S. FederalReserve could change everything.

Recently, the Singapore-based financial services group DBS senta note to investors. It warned that Argentina and Turkey are struggling to paytheir loans back in dollars. It added that "trade tensions" couldcause financial "instability" in thesecountries.

计时3 (246 words)

Britain's The Economist saysthe weakness in emerging-market currencies does not have to be contagious. Itcould be contained, and does not have to threaten the solvency oflarge Western Banks.

Others agree. They point to the many strong emerging-market economies.
At the end of June, India's GDP was growing at an 8 percent rate. Mexico's peso is calm. Mexico seems to have ended its trade talks withthe Trump White House agreeably. That makes investors happy.

Some experts say the fear of contagion comes from theinternational media and is not real. They point out that when the FederalReserve first raised rates in 2013, currency values in most of these countriesfell. Then they recovered.

The great unknown in understanding contagion is investor emotion. Investors could panic and pull out all theirmoney from these countries. If that happened too suddenly, contagion would bevery possible.
I'm Susan Shand.

S.Korea Says Korean Leaders to Meet on Denuclearization
A South Korean official says North Korea'sleader commented that he is committed to denuclearization of the KoreanPeninsula.

National security advisor Chung Eui-yong also said that theleaders of North and South Korea are to meet in the capital of North Korea,Pyongyang, from September 18th to the 20th. Chung made the announcementThursday in Seoul.

One day earlier, Chung led a delegation to the North Koreancapital to confirm details of the planned meeting. He also met with NorthKorean leader Kim Jong Un.
计时4 (253 words)

Kimsaid to be frustrated
Thursday, Chung told reporters about his talks with Kim. He saidKim confirmed his commitment to the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. The official added that Kim also promised to cooperate with bothSouth Korea and the United States.

Chung said that Kim's faith in U.S. President Donald Trump isunchanged since their summit in Singapore on June 12.
News of the comment brought a statement of thanks from Trump onTwitter.

Chung noted that Kim said he wishes for North Korea and the U.S.to end their hostilities by the end of Trump's first term in office in 2021.
The Associated Press reports that Chung said Kim expressed frustration overthe international community's reaction to measures taken by the North.

Several measures were meant to show the North's willingness toend its banned weapons programs. These include disabling part of the Sohaemissile launch area and destruction of tunnels used to test nuclear weapons.Last month, North Korea also returned 55 sets of human remains to the United States. They are believed to be those of American soldiers who died in theKorean War.

Kim said he would take "more active" measures toward denuclearization if his moves were met with similar measures, Chung said.
The South Korean delegation came to Pyongyang as U.S.-North Korean diplomatic efforts appeared to have cooled. Last month, Trump cancelleda planned trip by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Pyongyang. He said notenough progress had been made toward denuclearization.

计时5(274 words)

Critics of the most recent negotiationefforts say North Korea has, in the past, said it would end its nuclearprogram. They say the North has often sought to gain economic aid and thenfailed to keep its promises.
China'spart in negotiations
The most recent developments come as North Korea prepares tomark its 70th anniversary on September 9. Representatives ofNorth Korea's close ally, China, are expected to be at the special ceremony.

Chinese parliamentary chief Li Zhanshu is set to attend, not President Xi Jinping. Li is the third ranking member in China's CommunistParty.
Stephen Noerper is a senior director at the Korea Society in NewYork City.

He said, while China has listened to North Korea's concerns, thecountry has reduced trade with its neighbor and placed pressure on it. NorthKorea continues to face strong United Nations restrictions because of itsbanned nuclear and missile program.

President Trump has called on China to do more to get North Korea to take part in talks on denuclearization.
Noerper said South Korea is acting as a moderator between theU.S. and the North. He said this position is risky for South Korean PresidentMoon Jae-in. Moon's popularity at home has fallen since his earlier meetingswith Kim and the Trump-Kim summit.

Moon spoke to his aides Thursday about the next meeting withKim. He said the talks will speed up negotiations between the U.S. and NorthKorea on the issue of denuclearization.

The newly announced summit between the Korean leaders would comejust before the yearly gathering of world leaders at the United Nations in NewYork.
I'm Mario Ritter.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 01:21
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部