返回列表 发新帖
楼主: cowboy83cn
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[学校信息] 西班牙MBA介绍(ESADE vs. IESE)以及申请欧洲MBA常见误区

[精华]   [复制链接]
71#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-4-30 15:49:51 | 只看该作者
Hello, My name is Gary.

I am really interested in ESADE and IESE MBAs. My current profession is accounting. I would like to know is it easy or possible to perform a career switch through ESADE/IESE MBA?

Thanks
-- by 会员 garyuppsala (2012/4/30 10:16:24)

Hi, Gary
Could you provide a little it more details?
- Which industry do you wanna tap into after MBA?
- How many years have you been in accounting?
- Which accounting firm have you worked for?
72#
发表于 2012-4-30 17:00:53 | 只看该作者
Hi,

I worked three years in one of the Big four firm as an auditor in HK. Holder of a CPA title. Personally I don't have much clues on the invesment banking section, so if I take an MBA, I would stay focus on consulting and industry.

Actually I have talked with one professor before, he suggested me to choose some universities with STRONG BRAND NAMES in Asia Pacific Area, pacticular China. But somehow I think this can be a weakness for the MBAs in Spain (Compare with MBAs in US or UK), but it also can be an opportunity as well. I like the Esade and IESE MBAs very much.

I like your post, provide valuable information for IESE and ESADE. Thanks
73#
发表于 2012-4-30 19:30:40 | 只看该作者
Gary,

Are you planning on industry and functional switch at the same time? Or just switching industry and remaining in some sort of financial controlling function? Hopefully the other guys who know Taiwanese/Chinese alumni better can chime in on how our alumni have done, but you should be aware that given today's economic conditions, no matter what school you go to, there's the "impossible trinity" of trying to switch industry, functional areas, and geographic locations all at the same time. Every year some people still manage to pull it off but these are excellent, excellent people from an already outstanding group. If you want to work in consulting or industry, you will definitely need to develop a pretty strong understanding of these industries to go head to head against those who do have prior experience already. As my classmates have mentioned before, companies are driven by profit - you need to figure out why they should hire you over others and what your competitive advantage is and how you should go about developing it (i.e. by having MBA to improve industry or cross-functional knowledge, which MBA to go to that best cover your weaknesses, etc.).

For example, I had a media background covering the automobile industry. I wanted to go into a marketing based position with automakers. Based on this goal I looked at the job descriptions, profiles of marketing managers in companies I'm interested in, and also talked to senior managers within the industry on what areas I need to get in and do well. It turns out that I need a strong cross-functional business knowledge and of course, strategy and marketing. So from this description I then go and look for MBA programs that fit my need, eliminating ones that are too narrowly focused on finance and/or consulting.

A CPA is a terrific asset to have and even in many marketing based positions I have came across, a sound financial background is definitely a plus due to the analytical abilities and the need for companies to constantly be aware of their spendings and ROI on the spendings. BUT a CPA is also just a base for you to build a complete profile around. Since, presumably you're still working or have just recently left, it may be worthwhile to call up some contacts to understand more about industry and consulting and how to develop yourself. You will also need these contacts very shortly when the internship hunt begins, so if you haven't started, you might want to start now.

As another point, I think our school is on the way to developing some pretty good contacts in the Greater China region (and APAC in general). Our admissions officer in charge of APAC is also in charge of career services, so when she goes on recruitment trips she also visits companies and is able to give us first hand information from what companies and headhunters are looking for. Since she personally recruited us, she is also best able to convey to potential recruiters what our individual strengths are.

Finally, don't discount the financial world unless you absolutely do not want to go back. Plenty of banks come on campus to recruit and many are not investment banks, and quite a few hire for non-financial functional areas.
74#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-4-30 20:11:11 | 只看该作者
Hi,

I worked three years in one of the Big four firm as an auditor in HK. Holder of a CPA title. Personally I don't have much clues on the invesment banking section, so if I take an MBA, I would stay focus on consulting and industry.

Actually I have talked with one professor before, he suggested me to choose some universities with STRONG BRAND NAMES in Asia Pacific Area, pacticular China. But somehow I think this can be a weakness for the MBAs in Spain (Compare with MBAs in US or UK), but it also can be an opportunity as well. I like the Esade and IESE MBAs very much.

I like your post, provide valuable information for IESE and ESADE. Thanks
-- by 会员 garyuppsala (2012/4/30 17:00:53)

Gary,
I think you have a wonderful combination.  International experience and additional certificates would definitely be helpful in getting you a position in investment banking.  I have a feeling that you would like to go back to investment banking in China, right?  In that case, maybe stronger networks with local banking community should be your focus, since, you know, the complexity of Chinese banking system.
75#
发表于 2012-4-30 21:49:23 | 只看该作者
嗯,谢谢楼主,我最近一直在找今年一起去ESADE的校友,如果楼主有了解的记得告诉我哈,我现在是一个人稀里糊涂在做临行前准备。另外,希望到巴塞后可以跟楼主多多交流,真心觉得在ESADE的同胞好少啊
76#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-5-1 02:08:53 | 只看该作者
嗯,谢谢楼主,我最近一直在找今年一起去ESADE的校友,如果楼主有了解的记得告诉我哈,我现在是一个人稀里糊涂在做临行前准备。另外,希望到巴塞后可以跟楼主多多交流,真心觉得在ESADE的同胞好少啊
-- by 会员 violaquan (2012/4/30 21:49:23)

没关系,你来巴赛之后通知我们一下就好了,如果我们都在城里的话,可以见面聊:-)至于同胞数量,拿strategy老师那句名言来回答你"Size doesn't always matter, quality does":-)
77#
发表于 2012-5-1 20:09:52 | 只看该作者
好嘞~~~
78#
发表于 2012-5-5 23:56:36 | 只看该作者
我在四大工作~~ 想去西班牙啊。 问下,西班牙的公立大学就业如何。 比如巴塞罗那自治大学的课程~~
79#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-5-6 16:40:43 | 只看该作者
我在四大工作~~ 想去西班牙啊。 问下,西班牙的公立大学就业如何。 比如巴塞罗那自治大学的课程~~
-- by 会员 andrewlzp (2012/5/5 23:56:36)

这个可能就要问你所喜欢的学校的校友了,我们确实不是很清楚公立大学的就业情况,不好意思。
80#
发表于 2012-5-28 10:51:19 | 只看该作者
楼主好,9月份要去ESADE交换,求connect,qq11088785
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-27 20:17
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部