搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: sdcar2010
打印 上一主题 下一主题

SDCAR2010【逻辑入门】(五)Proceed by

[精华] [复制链接]
21#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-10-3 21:28:51 | 只看该作者
1) Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school students who drop out before their second year, because if they drop out, they never have a second year.
Hudson: By your reasoning I cannot help but become rich, because there is similarly no such thing as my dying before my first million dollars is in the bank.

Hudson responds to Whittaker by

(A) showing that a relevantly analogous argument leads to an untenable conclusion
(A)
(B) citing a specific example to counter Whittaker’s general claim
(C) pointing out that Whittaker mistakes a necessary situation for a possible situation
(D) claiming that what Whittaker says cannot be true because Whittaker acts as if it were false
(E) showing that Whittaker’s argument relies on analyzing an extreme and unrepresentative case

Whittaker's reasoning is as follows:
Premise: If people do A before having B; then they do not have B.  (A = drop out; B = second year.)
Conclusion: No people do A before having B.

Hudson's similar reasoning:
Premise (not shown): If people die before having a million dollars in the bank, then they do not have a million dollars in the bank. (A = die; B = a million dollars in the bank.)
Conclusion (shown): No people die before having a millon dollars in the bank.

But we know that most people die before becoming a millionair. So Hudson just used an analogy of Whittaker's logic to show the absurdity of the resulting conclusion in an attempt to refute the latter's logic.

sdcar2010, would u plz kindly explain question 1 for me?
i can't understand what the stimulus means
thanks so much!
-- by 会员 courtdancer (2011/9/29 23:48:55)

22#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-10-3 21:40:26 | 只看该作者
In the main conlcusion: "since there are many people who have colds but do not use the mixture, it is obviously not effective"; there are many people who have colds but do not use the mixture is NOT a necessary condition, but a sufficient condition.

In all reasonings, ONLY a sufficient condtion can correctly lead to the resulting conclusion, but not vice versa. And the cold suffer did not indicate what is the necessary condition for his conclusion to follow.

hello SDCAR2010
for Q2:
2) Some people have been promoting a new herbal mixture as a remedy for the common cold. The mixture contains, among other things, extracts of the plants purple cone-flower and goldenseal. A cold sufferer, skeptical of the claim that the mixture is an effective cold remedy, argued, “Suppose that the mixture were an effective cold remedy. Since most people with colds wish to recover quickly, it follows that almost everybody with a cold would be using it. Therefore, since there are many people who have colds but do not use the mixture, it is obviously not effective.”

Which one of the following most accurately describes the method of reasoning the cold sufferer uses to reach the conclusion of the argument?

(A) finding a claim to be false on the grounds that it would, if true, have consequences that are false
(B) accepting a claim on the basis of public opinion of the claim
(C) showing that conditions necessary to establish the truth of a claim are met
(D) basing a generalization on a representative group of instances
(E) showing that a measure claimed to be effective in achieving a certain effect would actually make achieving the effect more difficult

Although I knew that (a) is the correct answer
(c) puzzles me  for I think that there are many people who have colds but do not use the mixture is necessary for the conclusion that it is not effective and I can't understand what the are met  means at the end of (C), look forward to your reply.

thanks !
-- by 会员 suntree846 (2011/10/3 16:39:57)

23#
发表于 2011-10-3 21:59:56 | 只看该作者
Dear SDCAR2010, I'm not good at analyzing the "sufficient and necessary" questions. Would you please give some more illustrations, or state it with an example?

Thank you very much!
24#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-10-3 22:32:44 | 只看该作者
Sufficient and necessary are mostly used in assumption questions and formal logic questions. You can read my posts on these two subjects and, hopefully get a better understanding.

sufficient = enabling; necessary = required.
25#
发表于 2011-10-4 22:47:31 | 只看该作者
Sufficient and necessary are mostly used in assumption questions and formal logic questions. You can read my posts on these two subjects and, hopefully get a better understanding.

sufficient = enabling; necessary = required.
-- by 会员 sdcar2010 (2011/10/3 22:32:44)

Yes, when I ask the question, I haven't read your post No.8. Now I know it more clearly with your help. Thanks a lot!  Regards!
26#
发表于 2011-10-31 09:20:41 | 只看该作者
up~
27#
发表于 2011-11-2 17:08:47 | 只看该作者
啊啊啊~~~我非常气愤  在一个留学中介网站发现有抄袭的!气愤啊!http://www.meiqinedu.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=244&id=13445
28#
发表于 2011-11-10 04:19:13 | 只看该作者
必顶~
29#
发表于 2011-11-17 13:09:50 | 只看该作者
多谢牛牛
恕我愚昧
我实在没理解到这一章是在讲哪个类型的题
也不懂这个类型的题到底是在问什么!
求牛牛指点!
30#
发表于 2011-11-17 14:10:05 | 只看该作者
还有个问题
第二题
牛牛说
Conclusion:
The mixture is obviously not effective
Premise:
Suppose that the mixture were an effective cold remedy

premise 要support conclusion
但是我在这里看不出来这个premise support了conclusion啊?
我认为 Therefore, since there are many people who have colds but do not use the mixture  才是support了 conclusion啊   这句话能看做是premise么?

求牛牛指点!
谢谢!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 12:48
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部