[校友答疑] Ask Jon Frank- P69-Q&A:WHY MBA? 7 OVERLOOKED REASONS TO GET AN MBA

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-11-9 20:17:40 | 显示全部楼层
to both Jon and James

thanks very much for your kind help

Amy
发表于 2010-11-9 21:37:18 | 显示全部楼层
Jon!!! MR popular !!!
i am writing the essay of Wisconsin ASAP, and the topic is : Why specifically do you believe you are a good fit for a career in money management?

well, i have zero w/e in this so far. can i think maybe, just maybe i can become another Warren Buffet. So how should i approach this one?
 楼主| 发表于 2010-11-10 09:20:39 | 显示全部楼层
Jon!!! MR popular !!!
i am writing the essay of Wisconsin ASAP, and the topic is : Why specifically do you believe you are a good fit for a career in money management?

well, i have zero w/e in this so far. can i think maybe, just maybe i can become another Warren Buffet. So how should i approach this one?
-- by 会员 Monkyi (2010/11/9 21:37:18)

Hey there!  If you have no work experience in money management, then...you will have a very hard time answering this question indeed.  Here is your only chance.  Boil down the field of money management into 2 or 3 sub-areas.  erhaps we could say "math, solving problems, and keeping on top of new information."

Then, you could go through each of these topics.  I am good at math.  Then PROVE it in a couple sentences.  Then take on the next one, solving problems.  ROVE that you're good at that.  And finally, the third piece of the puzzle that you have set out.  You love to keep abreast of new information, technological advances, etc.  ROVE that youre good at that piece.

So yes, it is true that you havent done EXACTLY money management.  But if you break it down into its three main parts (and you can probably do a better job than I have above at identifying them), you are good at all of em.  So it would be fitting that you're good at the money management piece as well.  This would be your best bet.  GOOD LUCK!  : )

Jon Frank

发表于 2010-11-10 09:41:54 | 显示全部楼层
Thank u very much for yr kind advice!

"Hey there!  Thanks so much for the note.  Unfortunately, this will be very difficult for you.  It will however be possible—in my class at HBS we had a student who was 39 years old.  How old will you be?  You should also look at Executive MBA programs.  If you do programs like that, you can even keep your job, and you will be working with people who are older—more your age.  It will be very difficult for you, if you are in your 40’s for example to get into a full time MBA program in the US.  You should look into European programs as well—the average ages there tend to be older.   So do some research—European programs, and Executive MBA programs.  Those will be your best bet…Good luck!
"
-------------------------------
I will do my job for 5 more yrs and retried with 70% salary.  
Then I will consider to be an Entrepreneur or attend a MBA.
发表于 2010-11-10 10:04:13 | 显示全部楼层
Hello Jon,

I am new here. Just read some of your postings. I was so impressed by your wisdom!   I have an important strategic question and would like to ask for your advice. The questions is whether I can give a serious shot for Harvard MBA?

My academic background is:  I have a MD (GPA: 4.0) degree. And I got MS (GPA: 3.9) and Ph.D (GPA: 3.9) degrees from Virginia Tech. My MS and PhD major are molecular biology and biomedical sciences.  I published many papers in good academic journals in my area. I attended lots of biggest national and international conference in my research area and gave many talks there and also won some awards too.  Most of the research I did  are from NIH and NSF grants. Above is my academic background.  

My working experiences are following: I worked as a cardiologist for 2 years in China after I finished my MD. I attended some extra-curricular activities during that time, which involved in some management and leadership roles. I worked in American Universities for about two years ( as a team leader in a big lab). And worked in a startup biotech company in Virginia about one year ( as a senior scientist). During the first 3 months when I worked in that industry, I helped the company submitted a NIH small business innovation grant and got it successfully approved.

My long term career goal:  I want to do high level management in big biotech/pharmaceutical industry in USA.  I think my MD, PhD background plus my medical and biomedical working experience will be helpful in this area.

HBS MBA is my DREAMED school(when I was a little girl, I dreamed to go there one day), and actually is the only school I want to apply for.  You can see how much I LOVE it!

My current issue: My GMAT score is not very high ( Q:50, V: 29; total 660).  But I know GMAT is one of the factors to measure a candidate's academic potential. Some friends told me that because I have relatively strong GPA and other  academic background (such as MD/PhD degrees, publication, presentations, etc.), I should be able to balance the GMAT score by those stuff.  Also, I know that every year there are some students were accepted by HBS MBA with a GMAT score beyond around 600.  I am a girl and originally from China with a non-traditional major (hopefully HBS should like these kinds of diversity).

I really want to apply for the 2nd round of HBS MBA (the deadline is Jan. 2011), but really worry about my GMAT score. But if I do have a chance, I will give it a shot. But if I don't have any chance because of the GMAT score,  I have to think about re-take it. That means I may miss this year's application and this is the situation I really don't want it happen.  Also, I feel I am not good at taking such standard test as GMAT, so not sure whether I will for sure do better next time if I do it again.

Jon, could you please give me some advice or opinion on whether I can give a SERIOUS shot of Harvard MBA this year if I have the essays and other materials prepared very well? I really appreciate it and value your opinion.  I need to make a decision asap and then make my plan for the next step.   Thank you very much!
 楼主| 发表于 2010-11-10 10:18:53 | 显示全部楼层
Hello Jon,

I am new here. Just read some of your postings. I was so impressed by your wisdom!   I have an important strategic question and would like to ask for your advice. The questions is whether I can give a serious shot for Harvard MBA?

My academic background is:  I have a MD (GPA: 4.0) degree. And I got MS (GPA: 3.9) and Ph.D (GPA: 3.9) degrees from Virginia Tech. My MS and PhD major are molecular biology and biomedical sciences.  I published many papers in good academic journals in my area. I attended lots of biggest national and international conference in my research area and gave many talks there and also won some awards too.  Most of the research I did  are from NIH and NSF grants. Above is my academic background.  

My working experiences are following: I worked as a cardiologist for 2 years in China after I finished my MD. I attended some extra-curricular activities during that time, which involved in some management and leadership roles. I worked in American Universities for about two years ( as a team leader in a big lab). And worked in a startup biotech company in Virginia about one year ( as a senior scientist). During the first 3 months when I worked in that industry, I helped the company submitted a NIH small business innovation grant and got it successfully approved.

My long term career goal:  I want to do high level management in big biotech/pharmaceutical industry in USA.  I think my MD, PhD background plus my medical and biomedical working experience will be helpful in this area.

HBS MBA is my DREAMED school(when I was a little girl, I dreamed to go there one day), and actually is the only school I want to apply for.  You can see how much I LOVE it!

My current issue: My GMAT score is not very high ( Q:50, V: 29; total 660).  But I know GMAT is one of the factors to measure a candidate's academic potential. Some friends told me that because I have relatively strong GPA and other  academic background (such as MD/PhD degrees, publication, presentations, etc.), I should be able to balance the GMAT score by those stuff.  Also, I know that every year there are some students were accepted by HBS MBA with a GMAT score beyond around 600.  I am a girl and originally from China with a non-traditional major (hopefully HBS should like these kinds of diversity).

I really want to apply for the 2nd round of HBS MBA (the deadline is Jan. 2011), but really worry about my GMAT score. But if I do have a chance, I will give it a shot. But if I don't have any chance because of the GMAT score,  I have to think about re-take it. That means I may miss this year's application and this is the situation I really don't want it happen.  Also, I feel I am not good at taking such standard test as GMAT, so not sure whether I will for sure do better next time if I do it again.

Jon, could you please give me some advice or opinion on whether I can give a SERIOUS shot of Harvard MBA this year if I have the essays and other materials prepared very well? I really appreciate it and value your opinion.  I need to make a decision asap and then make my plan for the next step.   Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 chengya (2010/11/10 10:04:13)

Hey there!  What a great story.  My answer is that yes, you absolutely DO have a shot at HBS.  Your background is VERY unique indeed, and from this post anyway, you do seem to speak very good English.  Now.  HBS is a stretch for ANYONE.  That’s right, even if you had your exact background and a GMAT of 760, you would still be a stretch at HBS.  They have their pick of anyone from anywhere.  So while you do have a chance there, I would (and always do) recommend that you apply to more schools.  Given your interest in medicine especially, you have a number of other options worth considering.  Ross, for example, has a great MBA program with a specialty in healthcare.  Same with Wharton, even Haas and Duke.  Would you consider those programs?  If yes, you would have a great shot at getting in somewhere this year.  You do have a shot at HBS, but for everyone it is a stretch…
Good luck!

Jon Frank

发表于 2010-11-10 10:50:39 | 显示全部楼层
你的情况跟我很像,但有个最大的不同:
我在中国,而且是部队!
所以我咨询的结果是建议我放弃。
---------------------------
自己比较一下
My academic background is:
I have a MD (GPA: 4.0) degree.
And I got MS (GPA: 3.9) and Ph.D (GPA: 3.9) degrees from Virginia Tech. My MS and PhD major are molecular biology and biomedical sciences.  ……专业一样,我一直是前2名,所以GPA不会低于你。

I published many papers in good academic journals in my area.
I attended lots of biggest national and international conference in my research area and gave many talks there and also won some awards too.
一样的,而且我是通讯作者,因为我后来做PI了
Most of the research I did  are from NIH and NSF grants.
我拿的是中国自然科学基金和科技部的项目,科技部的项目很大
还有部队的,但不能说
Above is my academic background.  
-----------------------
祝福你!
发表于 2010-11-10 10:53:26 | 显示全部楼层
还有一个不同:
你想上HBS是名校情节。
我上哪个无所谓,我不在乎。
我是Entrepreneur情节或者dream
上MBA也是为了更顺利的转行Entrepreneur
发表于 2010-11-10 11:42:25 | 显示全部楼层
Hello Jon,

-- by 会员 chengya (2010/11/10 10:04:13)

Hey there!  What a great story.  My answer is that yes, you absolutely DO have a shot at HBS.  Your background is VERY unique indeed, and from this post anyway, you do seem to speak very good English.  Now.  HBS is a stretch for ANYONE.  That’s right, even if you had your exact background and a GMAT of 760, you would still be a stretch at HBS.  They have their pick of anyone from anywhere.  So while you do have a chance there, I would (and always do) recommend that you apply to more schools.  Given your interest in medicine especially, you have a number of other options worth considering.  Ross, for example, has a great MBA program with a specialty in healthcare.  Same with Wharton, even Haas and Duke.  Would you consider those programs?  If yes, you would have a great shot at getting in somewhere this year.  You do have a shot at HBS, but for everyone it is a stretch…
Good luck!

Jon Frank

-- by 会员 JonFrank (2010/11/10 10:18:53)

Thank you very much for your advice, Jon.  If I plan to re-take GMAT at the beginning of Dec, do you think it's a better choice. In other words, do you recommend me to re-take the test? If I re-take the test on Dec. 9, I will have about one month left to prepare for all the other stuff in the application package, since the deadline for the 2nd round HBS application is Jan.11.  If I work on them full time and work really hard, do you think I am able to finish all the other stuff in the application package in time? Thanks a lot.
发表于 2010-11-10 11:45:05 | 显示全部楼层
你的情况跟我很像,但有个最大的不同:
我在中国,而且是部队!
所以我咨询的结果是建议我放弃。
---------------------------
自己比较一下
My academic background is:
I have a MD (GPA: 4.0) degree.
And I got MS (GPA: 3.9) and Ph.D (GPA: 3.9) degrees from Virginia Tech. My MS and PhD major are molecular biology and biomedical sciences.  ……专业一样,我一直是前2名,所以GPA不会低于你。

I published many papers in good academic journals in my area.
I attended lots of biggest national and international conference in my research area and gave many talks there and also won some awards too.
一样的,而且我是通讯作者,因为我后来做PI了
Most of the research I did  are from NIH and NSF grants.
我拿的是中国自然科学基金和科技部的项目,科技部的项目很大
还有部队的,但不能说
Above is my academic background.  
-----------------------
祝福你!
-- by 会员 gxben (2010/11/10 10:50:39)

谁建议你放弃? 建议你放弃的理由是什么? 你的gmat 分数一定比我好吧?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 01:56
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部