搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: JonFrank
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Ask Jon Frank- P69-Q&A:WHY MBA? 7 OVERLOOKED REASONS TO GET AN MBA

[复制链接]
51#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-10-19 13:23:35 | 只看该作者
Hi, Jon, I would like to know how helps candidates. Only online, right? It helps total package or just essays?
I am considering using it but want to know some details. Thank you!
-- by 会员 mmfruit (2010/10/19 2:17:31)

Hey there!  Yes we do all aspects of the MBA applications, not just essays.  And we do not limit the number of phone calls--our deluxe clients especially have unlimited access to us.  although most of the work will happen behind your computer.  i hope this helps and free feel to reach out to me with your case.
Good luck

Jon Frank
52#
发表于 2010-10-22 20:44:10 | 只看该作者
Hi, Jon, need your help.

I'm struggling with this question: "Am I suitbale for an MBA?" Since the time I need to write the essay about career goal, I'm keeping asking the question to myself.

My background looks relatively okay. a fair Gmat Score (730), a fair toefl score (105), some nice working experience in a top financial news agency, as a team leader but not a manager. People around me all went to nice schools, harvard, columbia, northwest, berkeley, princeton, yet none MBAs.

But now I realize that I may make my MBA desicion in a clueless mind. I want to puesue an MBA becoz I want to switch to another industry. but is it the i-banking or consulting, I don't know. I was meant to find it during my school life, but okay, it seems that all MBAs should have very clear vision about their future.

Now the conflict comes even stronger. An headhunter called today and offered me a good oppotunity. I would accept it immediately four months ago, when I had no idea about MBA. But now I want things better.

Okay, my question is: "Do all candidates have to know about their career goal before they went to the b schools and got through the curriculum? Could I just make up something sounds reasonable, say, media management, but actually I still keep it open-minded? How risky is that?"
53#
发表于 2010-10-22 23:41:40 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon, it's glad to see your post is popular in Chasedream. Here are my questions during my apply process for MBA program.
It will be highly appreciated if you can tell me the direction for my application.

Here are my profile:
*Undergradute GPA:2.5, top 5 university in Chinaostgraduate GPA 3.0,top 10 university but top 1 major in China
*GMAT 710, AWA 4.0 (i took the GMAT for 580 and AWA 4.0 for the first time without preparation..)
*The Toefl will be taken by the end of next month, how much do you think i need to get for Toefl to offset my GMAT score as well as GPA, can it offset?
*4 years working experiences at famous industry company in China, department deputy manager now.
By the way, i can get the recommendation letter from GM of my company, who is famous at his field and American Chamber in Shanghai.

Here are my questions:
Will the first GMAT score and AWA score hurt my application for the top 15 school? Shall i retake the GMAT to upgrade my AWA score?
Do you think it's possible for me to apply for the top 15 MBA program at the States? if yes, which parts shall i pay emphasis on?
i am preparing for the Essays now and will apply for top 15 school;Your kindly suggestion and advice will be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Googoo2011
54#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-10-23 11:55:54 | 只看该作者
Hi, Jon, need your help.

I'm struggling with this question: "Am I suitbale for an MBA?" Since the time I need to write the essay about career goal, I'm keeping asking the question to myself.

My background looks relatively okay. a fair Gmat Score (730), a fair toefl score (105), some nice working experience in a top financial news agency, as a team leader but not a manager. People around me all went to nice schools, harvard, columbia, northwest, berkeley, princeton, yet none MBAs.

But now I realize that I may make my MBA desicion in a clueless mind. I want to puesue an MBA becoz I want to switch to another industry. but is it the i-banking or consulting, I don't know. I was meant to find it during my school life, but okay, it seems that all MBAs should have very clear vision about their future.

Now the conflict comes even stronger. An headhunter called today and offered me a good oppotunity. I would accept it immediately four months ago, when I had no idea about MBA. But now I want things better.

Okay, my question is: "Do all candidates have to know about their career goal before they went to the b schools and got through the curriculum? Could I just make up something sounds reasonable, say, media management, but actually I still keep it open-minded? How risky is that?"
-- by 会员 ardor (2010/10/22 20:44:10)

My friend, let me tell you a secret.  Nobody is 100% sure of what they want to do when they apply to business school.  Even the people who think they know…they often change their minds.  And admissions people KNOW this.  They are even okay with it.  J  So there are two answers to your questions. First, “should I go to bschool, even if I don’t know what I want to do.”  The answer is YES.  By being surrounded by so many smart, interesting, talented people—you WILL be inspired.  Or if you are not, you will certainly have MORE opportunities coming out of school than you have now.  Yes, go to school. Find yourself there—explore, and meet interesting people in interesting fields.  Yes, do it!

Now, to your second question.  How should all this stuff affect your applications?  The answer is that it shouldn’t.  You should always claim that your career vision is the thing that is most logical for your background.  Most likely.  If you have a background in banking, then stick with finance (as far as the app is concerned.)  if you have a background in marketing, stick with it (as far as the app goes).  Career changes are poisonous.  Avoid writing about em if you can—it will improve your chances.  Tell the adcom what they wanna hear, get into bschool, and figure it out when you get there.  J  Sound like a plan?

Hope so—good luck!
Jon Frank
55#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-10-23 12:07:34 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon, it's glad to see your post is popular in Chasedream. Here are my questions during my apply process for MBA program.
It will be highly appreciated if you can tell me the direction for my application.

Here are my profile:
*Undergradute GPA:2.5, top 5 university in Chinaostgraduate GPA 3.0,top 10 university but top 1 major in China
*GMAT 710, AWA 4.0 (i took the GMAT for 580 and AWA 4.0 for the first time without preparation..)
*The Toefl will be taken by the end of next month, how much do you think i need to get for Toefl to offset my GMAT score as well as GPA, can it offset?
*4 years working experiences at famous industry company in China, department deputy manager now.
By the way, i can get the recommendation letter from GM of my company, who is famous at his field and American Chamber in Shanghai.

Here are my questions:
Will the first GMAT score and AWA score hurt my application for the top 15 school? Shall i retake the GMAT to upgrade my AWA score?
Do you think it's possible for me to apply for the top 15 MBA program at the States? if yes, which parts shall i pay emphasis on?
i am preparing for the Essays now and will apply for top 15 school;Your kindly suggestion and advice will be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Googoo2011
-- by 会员 googoo2011 (2010/10/22 23:41:40)

Hey there!  Happy to help of course. You are in a bit of a challenging situation.  With your low GPA, one wants to see a high GMAT.  And with the low AWA as well, it is going to be tough.  If I were in your shoes, I would retake the GMAT.  Is that possible?  If you did, is your sense that you would improve your score?  Its almost as though any ONE of these things would be fine.  With a low GMAT but great TOEFL and great grades, you would be fine.  Or with a great TOEFL and great GMAT, we would overlook your grades.  But with bad grades and a so-so GMAT, you arent in great shape.  Top five schools will be very unlikely for youbut top 10, top 15 is possible for you.  I only wish you had a better GPA, or better GMAT.  Is your sense that you will do great on the TOEFL?  That will help, but it may not be quiiite enough
I wish I had better newsdrop me an email if you have more questions!
Jon Frank
56#
发表于 2010-10-23 12:22:38 | 只看该作者
So Jon,how about me? My GMAT score is 750,AWA is 4.5, Toefl is 103 and my GPA is just 3.2. Will the scores holding me from the top 5 MBA programs?
57#
发表于 2010-10-23 15:15:50 | 只看该作者
Hi, Jon, thanks for your help! Your advice is really valuable. About the Gmat, I really wonder if awa matters, since I got a extremly low awa score --3.5 along with the 730. I guess the reason is I used some tempalets. But with the first gmat test, when I have no preparation at all, I got 650 and 4.5. So which one really counts? 3.5 or 4.5? though none of them sounds good.

And the GPA, mine is 3.1, but the ranking is relatively okay, I even got merit-based scholarships. So should I explain or just let it go?

And are those scores too dangerous for me to seize LBS and UCLA anderson?
58#
发表于 2010-10-23 16:04:16 | 只看该作者
Have a nice day, Jon!
First of all, thanks very much for your valuable suggestions here for Chinese applicants. I've got one more question here and wait for your help
Both of my recommenders told me that they were kind of confused about the ratings in LOR. They did want to place all of those qualities in the range of 2%, however, they were afraid that it would look fake, given that Chinese LOR were not so trusted...So, whether they should "intently" choose one or two of the qualities to rate 5% or 10%?
Many Thanks!
59#
发表于 2010-10-24 09:38:08 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your contribution here in the forum. Your contribution is truly appreciated. I've got some concerns and questions about my background and the choice of schools. If you could give me some insight, it would be very helpful.

My background:
1. Undergraduate: GPA 8.5/12.0 from Top 3 Uni in HK
2. GMAT: 760 +5.0
3. 3yr IBank Analyst Exp with CFA + now out of job
*I quitted the bank early this year because I had been employed under contract but my team could not get any permanent headcount for me (*my dept head and my seniors all wanted to keep me but the bank policy didn’t allow. We got no associate in the team and only hired analysts by 2yr contract). Since then, I worked for a 2month online volunteering project for an US NGO to set up a program in South Africa. After that, I also started a small business which is about selling products in online auction page and social network.
4. Short-term career: some strategic job after mba, such as management consulting or business dev. in international corp. Long-term career: work in NGO to advice corporations in developing countries

My key concern is about my working exp and "out of job status".  
1) I can get my senior and boss to be my recommenders. Is it a good proof that I didn’t get a permanent position just because of bank policy? (During these 3 years, I actually worked as an associate to lead the transaction solely.)
2) Can you advice me how I could tell my story during my out-of-job period? I started my business because I wanted to start a short-term project before mba to learn about business. But so far it is small and operates badly. I am worried that the school might think I have no better choice so I apply for school.

Lastly, given my background, is it too risky that I just apply for the following mba only?
1. Harvard        2. Stanford    3. Wharton    4. Kellogg    5.Michigan

Thank you again Jon. Have a great week ahead!

Thanks,
Raiy
60#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-10-26 14:51:46 | 只看该作者
So Jon,how about me? My GMAT score is 750,AWA is 4.5, Toefl is 103 and my GPA is just 3.2. Will the scores holding me from the top 5 MBA programs?
v-- by 会员 Gogoon (2010/10/23 12:22:38)

Hello there!  No, your scores wont keep you out of the top-five programs.  But we would recommend that you still apply to top ten programs.  Nobody is safe in only top-five programs, it is just too competitive.  Extend your baseline out to top ten programs—that way, you are guaranteed to have options at the end of the year.  That is our advice—not just to you, but to everyone!
Good luck!

Jon Frank

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-23 14:11
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部