ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: yorkzhong

[校友答疑] Darden - Wahoowah!

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2006-8-9 08:48:00 | 显示全部楼层

Here is school visit diary by a US student (from Clearadmit) FYI

March 27, 2006--I visited Darden in December when I conducted my interview along with about 75 other candidates.  Bottom-line: Darden has a beautiful campus with all-new facilities.  The Darden School completed its new facilities in time for its 50th anniversary this year. 

I decided to stay for two nights in the local area, so I could get a feel for the town.  The Best Western Cavalier Inn is conveniently located in the heart of the University campus, which is where I stayed.  However, there are also rooms available on the Darden grounds - a brand-new facility that houses the candidates of the executive program while they are session. 

Case Study Method.  The school touts its integrated curriculum as an excellent program for developing general managers.  Darden publishes many, if not all of the case studies that it teaches.  One can draw comparisons to the program at HBS.  There is reason behind this as well - the school was created, in large part, to educate southern business leaders who would otherwise attend northern Ivy league programs.  (I later received at documentary DVD that discussed the history of the program.)  

Darden prides itself on maintaining a significantly smaller class size than HBS.  This allows each MBA candidate an opportunity to contribute and engage during class discussions.  During the first terms, students remain in the same classroom - teachers rotate.  The classrooms are basically the same as HBS, just less students.  Wireless internet is available, but is shut down once class begins.

One thing that I realized during my class visit at Darden is that the effectiveness of the Case Method is a function of two primary variables - the professors who guide the sessions, and the quality of the student body.  Having witnessed a class session, I can attest to the quality of the professors within the program.  The professor that I talked to noted that even well-renowned scholars do not necessarily fit with the case method.  The program appears dedicated to recruiting not only MBA candidates who fit with the case method, but also seeks to ensure its professors are on-board as well. 

The Dean seems to be committed to building the Darden brand name globally in order to increase the diversity of the student body.  All of the students that I met were bright and articulate with the biggest difference being the "personality" of the program.

Personality.  It is not easy to quantify in a 3-day trip, but I was able to get a good feel for the personality of the program.  Hardworking is one attribute that I sensed.  Integrity.  I saw a student pick up a twenty dollar bill off the ground and turn it over to the clerk at the front desk.  It seems like a small thing, but it really solidified my impression of the student body.  The school honor code is internalized by its students.  There is also a Down to earth mentality with a southern appeal.  The "high touch" aspect of the program is comforting for me, since I have a family to also consider.  Everyone I met was been engaging and friendly.  See the segment below about "First Coffee."

Charlottesville.  For someone with children, I consider the Charlottesville community the best suited for family life while I pursue an MBA.  Just down the street from the Best Western is a strip of restaurants that offers a wide variety of eating options.  The Rotunda is truly a must see if you go for a campus visit.  There is a small-town feel, but there is plenty of culture. 

Overall.  Darden has great program fundamentals but needs to build its brand - which it is making efforts to do.  To get the best students - and thus maximize the potential value of their case method program - they will need to sell their brand more effectively.  This will take some time, but they are using fellowships and scholarships to compete for talent.  I came away believing that Darden offers a unique educational opportunity which is not necessarily suited for everyone.  The same can be said for any program.  However, I came away with the belief that I would achieve my career goals if I happened to choose this program.  I also came away with the impression that the program is on an upward track.  They recently became more of a "private" institution, where they are not reliant on University funds to operate.  The school's endowment fund is one of the largest per student.  Darden's grounds are truly of the quality of a top 10 institution.  Given the wonderful community of Charlottesville, it is no wonder why so many great professors choose to teach there and make it home.   

发表于 2006-8-9 09:03:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用pumpkin在2006-8-9 7:50:00的发言:

yorkzhong,给我们贴点照片看看吧~

Here are some pictures from some websites:

[attachimg]49360[/attachimg]
[attachimg]49363[/attachimg]
[attachimg]49364[/attachimg]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
发表于 2006-8-9 09:06:00 | 显示全部楼层

请教大哥大姐,darden有没有audit firm background,介绍下经验吧,谢谢了

发表于 2006-8-9 09:14:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用redhot99在2006-8-9 9:06:00的发言:

Auditing experience is for sure a plus for any B-school application.
 楼主| 发表于 2006-8-11 11:15:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用redhot99在2006-8-9 9:06:00的发言:

We do have people with audit experience this year, one girl from China PWCC with 3 years' experience, another one from Taiwan. I am not from Audit so can only provide my suggestion. You might want to apply as early as possible since Audit and MC are the mainstream applicats pool and if you apply earlier, you have much higher chance to get the solt first.

发表于 2006-8-11 11:56:00 | 显示全部楼层

我对darden很感兴趣,有几个问题还希望校友能够答疑:

1,学校的career service如何?在入校和后来都做了那些工作来帮助学生找internship和找工作/

2,darden在中国招的人不多,相应的中国学生之间的networking不如其它有庞大校友网络的学生强,这个劣势如何弥补?今年毕业的中国学生找工作情况如何?07的学生找internship情况具体如何?

3,听说darden倾向于招工作经验丰富一些的学生,我三年工作经验,是否相对薄弱些?另外,貌似来答疑的都是男生,是不是darden对中国女生不感冒呢?

4,case method是darden引以为豪的,但同时对中国学生是一大挑战。想请问各位校友初期是否觉得这种方式很难,需要多久来适应?性格是否很外向?

5,darden的case method是否导致学习非常辛苦,通常要学习到几点呢?我听说duke的学习相对轻松些。不知各位校友的亲身体验如何?

谢谢各位darden的朋友!

楼主| 发表于 2006-8-11 14:23:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用香香茶在2006-8-11 11:56:00的发言:

我对darden很感兴趣,有几个问题还希望校友能够答疑:

1,学校的career service如何?在入校和后来都做了那些工作来帮助学生找internship和找工作/

Career service is Darden's strength. Before we enter school, we need to do extensive online career testing, which helped us to identify "Who I am", "What I want to do", "What I can do". Also we need to submit a really refined resume before the course start.

Not sure about the service in School yet but I know that Darden's alumnis are very helpful. They are willing to spend time/effort to help you. One example  is in my company, where my boss graduated from Darden and is taking a senior position, while we have a 03 Darden graudates. They have constant discussion and mentoring time, and my boss is helping the younger one to find better chance inside our company.

2,darden在中国招的人不多,相应的中国学生之间的networking不如其它有庞大校友网络的学生强,这个劣势如何弥补?今年毕业的中国学生找工作情况如何?07的学生找internship情况具体如何?

When you look at the network you need to look at both the size and the connection. It is true that Darden's network is smaller but it is VERY CONNECTed. They are helping each other even if they didn't know each other before. On the other hand, since more and more Chinese students are willing to come back China even they could find good job in US, the network is expanding fast.

The placement for Chinese students this year is GREAT! 3 coming back China, holding MC, marketing position, I know 2 of them definately taking golabal pay though I am not sure how the 3rd one is paied. 5 stays in US, with MC job, leadership program in big cooperate etc.

3,听说darden倾向于招工作经验丰富一些的学生,我三年工作经验,是否相对薄弱些?另外,貌似来答疑的都是男生,是不是darden对中国女生不感冒呢?

3 girls vs. 4 boys this year, I cannot say that Darden do not like girls. Also we do have a girl who have 3 year experience, though most of us have 4-7 years' experience.

My suggestion is: focus on "If I like this school" than "if I can get into the school", everything is possible.

4,case method是darden引以为豪的,但同时对中国学生是一大挑战。想请问各位校友初期是否觉得这种方式很难,需要多久来适应?性格是否很外向?

It is a challenge for Chinese but in my point of view it is more a OPPORTUNITY. Aren't you tired of the lecture in university, where professors reading text book for you. You can read those books by yourself without paying the huge tuition

Not sure how hard would it be but I never heard any Chinese student droped because of this.

You do need to talk much in the learning team and in the class, but in B-school you are learning to do business, and business is more about influencing/leading than knowledge. I believe case mode can prepare you more to be a success business leader when you walk out of the school.

5,darden的case method是否导致学习非常辛苦,通常要学习到几点呢?我听说duke的学习相对轻松些。不知各位校友的亲身体验如何?

Heard that normal sleeping time is 12:00 AM, so it is hard. But no pain, no gain. The first year is rather challenge but the second year is very relex from what I heard. It's true, Darden is hard. So if you just want to enjoy 2 year's US life, do not apply for Darden. But if you want to learn some down-to-earth business and be ready to be a CEO, come to Darden!

谢谢各位darden的朋友!

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-8-11 14:24:55编辑过]
发表于 2006-8-11 16:51:00 | 显示全部楼层

Hi york, many thanks for your prompt reply. What do you mean by 12:00 AM? I guess it is a typo, right? Otherwise life might be really hard in Darden

发表于 2006-8-12 04:17:00 | 显示全部楼层
好PP的照片~
发表于 2006-8-12 11:15:00 | 显示全部楼层

Are You "Darden material" ?

Hi, My name is SAM, a Chinese FY ( First Year ) here in Virginia.

Let me share with you my opinion on the case method here at Darden. ( your question 4 & 5 )
I dont want to waste your time reading this threas  with the informaton you can get with GOOGLE and "official" Darden pamphlet..
So , here is the truth.

Darden is not for everybody.

Before you apply for B-School, you need to ask yourself a big question "What do I want out of it?"
If you want to get solid cross-principle general management professional training,  move your English communication skills to a whole new level,  and have close-knit friends and alumni you can count on, then Darden is the answer.

Note that I said "English" communication skills. if you want to land a job in North America, Darden will be one of your top choices. Today at the international orientation session, our career development director Mr. errerate just emphasised that the No.1 criteria Top recruiter ( Banking and Consulting firms such as Mckeinsy and Goldman Sach) are looking for when they came on campus is : communcation skills.
On the other hand, if you plan to go back China after your 2 years, Darden may not be your best choice, in my opinion -  you dont really need the English communication skills, and Let's face it, Darden dont have particularly large alumni network in China, so it might not help your Business in China. After all, We are still a "small" school.

Yes, it is tough. Darden is still the most rigorous MBA program in TOP B schools in US.
Take it as a challenge, a challenge to improve yourself on time management, multiple-tasking and teamwork. Let me explain why it is a challenge for teamwork. Darden deliberately design the program so that the workload has to shared with the team. It is mission impossible to do it on your own. During today's panel dscussion with several SY ( second year ) students, one of the guys said that it took him too long to realize that he is not the smartest guy in the room. If he were given another chance to re-live the first year, he would involve more on the learn team and reply more on the learning team to get things done. 

You need to be confident with your english, comfortable with elaborating your thoughts on a given topic in a structural and logical way in front of a group of elites from various part of the world.

So, are you "Darden material" ?

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-8-12 11:18:47编辑过]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 13:24
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部