楼主: sdcar2010
打印 上一主题 下一主题

SDCAR2010【逻辑入门】(三)Main Point

[精华]   [复制链接]
31#
发表于 2011-7-11 12:52:52 | 只看该作者
也来顶一个~嘿嘿 看完一份mark一下~
这篇最大的收获是:
No statement is inherently a conclusion or a premise; it could be either or neither. What role it plays in the argument simply depends on what the author tries to prove and how he or she does that.
32#
发表于 2011-7-18 12:21:52 | 只看该作者
Dear sdcar2010,
How to distinguish "3) giving you something you could infer or conclude from the passage" from the really ture answer? From the question1,2&3 you given to us,especially for question3, the correct answer can not directly get from the argument, and it is the sentence drawing from the argument, in another word, it is the sentence we infer or conclude from the passage,however, you mentioned that they are not correct. So, i get confused. can you answer it?
33#
发表于 2011-7-19 06:27:05 | 只看该作者
good!
34#
发表于 2011-7-19 10:39:36 | 只看该作者
3) Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century (background). The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater (opinion). Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx (concession), Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy (premise).

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) Modern audiences would find it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) In the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) The performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim
(E) The director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

As highlighted, the flow of the argument is Background, Opinion, Concession, premise. So the unstated main conclusion can be reached according to the last sentence of the argument: performance of the actor is as similar to the original old Italian style as you can get.

The conclusion says that actor = Marx = acient Italian style.
-- by 会员 sdcar2010 (2011/6/19 10:49:52)

Dear sdcar2010,
How to distinguish "3) giving you something you could infer or conclude from the passage" from the really ture answer? From the question1,2&3 you given to us,especially for question3, the correct answer can not directly get from the argument, and it is the sentence drawing from the argument, in another word, it is the sentence we infer or conclude from the passage,however, you mentioned that they are not correct. So, i get confused. can you answer it?
35#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-7-19 20:58:18 | 只看该作者
srosalita:

3) above is more like an inference question asking for the main point. You are right. 1) and 2) is borderline. And your understanding that main point should be stated in the stimulus, not inferred therefrom, is right on.

When I tried to find the main point questions, I could not find many on the internet. So I just copied whatever LOOKS like a main point question instead. My appology.
36#
发表于 2011-7-20 17:45:56 | 只看该作者
srosalita:

3) above is more like an inference question asking for the main point. You are right. 1) and 2) is borderline. And your understanding that main point should be stated in the stimulus, not inferred therefrom, is right on.

When I tried to find the main point questions, I could not find many on the internet. So I just copied whatever LOOKS like a main point question instead. My appology.
-- by 会员 sdcar2010 (2011/7/19 20:58:18)

Thanks for answering, you don't need any apology for me.  I still unfamiliar with CR questions, and it looks like I need to practice more than I thought before. Anyway, I am glad that you answered me question.
37#
发表于 2011-7-21 17:24:12 | 只看该作者
看了之后好大收获~~~实在是thx~~~~
38#
发表于 2011-8-17 16:15:28 | 只看该作者
thx very very much !!!!
39#
发表于 2011-8-18 09:44:17 | 只看该作者
if there is a fast and effective way to read  CR passages and questions?i often take too much time on the reading and understanding,or i may not get the idea of the passage.Thank you a lot!
40#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-8-18 09:46:05 | 只看该作者
No shortcut. Read more English articles EVERYDAY.

For CR passages, focus on premise and main conclusion.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 02:28
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部