ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: sdcar2010

SDCAR2010【逻辑入门】(三)Main Point

[精华]   [复制链接]
发表于 2011-6-17 10:37:44 | 显示全部楼层
Dear SDCAR

For the test1,  "I am distressed by reports of “disinformation” campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe" should be the conclusion, right? but the answer "(E) Disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States
"didn't show up any information about "not effectively serve the political interests of the United States", could you help to explain? thx
发表于 2011-6-18 16:04:10 | 显示全部楼层
一直就很喜欢Sdcar2011 !!牛人的贴仔细研读!
发表于 2011-6-18 16:32:56 | 显示全部楼层
I got all the answers correct except 3,could you please explain question 3 in detail ? thank you in advanced !
发表于 2011-6-18 16:42:47 | 显示全部楼层
For question 4, i doubted that  why  "The performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina "does
not serve as a counter evidence for editor's claim, i think it serves as a counter evidence, but the another reason "Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy" outweigh it that a critic might proclaim.
发表于 2011-6-18 16:46:17 | 显示全部楼层
Sorry, i inadvertently type question 4 mistakenly which should be question 3.
发表于 2011-6-19 10:22:37 | 显示全部楼层
up !
 楼主| 发表于 2011-6-19 10:49:52 | 显示全部楼层
3) Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century (background). The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater (opinion). Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx (concession), Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy (premise).

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) Modern audiences would find it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play
(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina
(C) In the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy
(D) The performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim
(E) The director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

As highlighted, the flow of the argument is Background, Opinion, Concession, premise. So the unstated main conclusion can be reached according to the last sentence of the argument: performance of the actor is as similar to the original old Italian style as you can get.

The conclusion says that actor = Marx = acient Italian style.
 楼主| 发表于 2011-6-19 10:59:37 | 显示全部楼层
1) As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of “disinformation” campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe (opinion). In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own (background). Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America’s political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire (opposing opinion). I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective (main conclusion).

The author’s main point is that

(A) Although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds
(B) America’s moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth
(C) The temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses
(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage America’s standing in Europe
(E) Disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

As highlighted above, the flow of the argument is Author's opinion, Background, opposing opinion, conclusion. I should point out the way the main conclusion iis presented is pretty unusual by using a figurative language. If you compare the opposing opinion with the author's conclusion, you would notice that effectively, the author proclaims that the opposing's opinion is wrong. And if you negate the opposing opinion, you would get the main conclusion, which states in choice E).
发表于 2011-6-19 15:35:35 | 显示全部楼层
thank you ! Sdcar2010~
发表于 2011-6-19 18:52:26 | 显示全部楼层
关于第三题 请问 问题到底要问什么...
我总是看不懂问题 请牛人指点下
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:41
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部