搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: JonFrank
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Ask Jon Frank- P69-Q&A:WHY MBA? 7 OVERLOOKED REASONS TO GET AN MBA

[复制链接]
671#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-8 16:39:52 | 只看该作者
What if English isn’t my native language?

The adcom understands that English is not everyone’s native language. So they’re not expecting perfection! But non-native speakers often freak themselves out, and get VERY nervous about their English before the interview… which throws them off balance. The best way to get over those nerves s to practice, practice, practice. You want to be comfortable in the interview, you want to engage the interviewer in conversation… and the more you practice your English, the more natural the conversation will be. Which is a GOOD thing.

But don’t MEMORIZE your answers, or else you’ll come off sounding like a robot. Which is a BAD thing. Instead, focus on talking in English, every single day, and telling your greatest hits. You’ll have to improvise depending on the questions you get asked, so you’ll want some flexibility in your stories. You want to get comfortable with the ideas and concepts behind your stories, as well as the English language in general (as much as you can!), NOT memorize a script.
672#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-8 16:52:11 | 只看该作者
luciahuang 发表于 2014-9-30 05:13
So now stops answering questions?

of course not. If you have any questions, you can write to me
673#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-10 13:19:53 | 只看该作者
How do you stand out in a group interview?

It’s NOT about standing out; it’s about how you contribute to the group’s success. You have to impress both with your creative input and, more importantly, your ability to move the group along. Focus on establishing trust with your fellow group members and building on what others say (Show you’re collaborative while also making a better point). Draw others out (Show you’re a leader who asks good questions). And make sure you’re coming across as a team player, not someone who wants to dominate the discussion.

For a really in-depth look at the group MBA interview, check out this article.
674#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-13 18:03:03 | 只看该作者
QUESTION :

How long should our answers be for normal interview questions?

ANSWER:

When it comes to everyone’s favorite, “Walk me through your interview,” you shouldn’t spend more than 4 minutes total. So practice that. You don’t want to spend the entire interview rehashing a resume he has probably already seen.

And for all the others… 2-3 minutes. MAX.

You don’t want to bore the guy. A good interview is a conversation. It’s relaxed. Informal. Feels less like a back and forth Q&A, and more like two people hanging out, talking. (Kind of like this!)

Much like your essays, the best stories/answers are concise. Use your words wisely and say the most stuff in the least amount of words. Make your interviewer laugh. That’s always a good sign. And ask questions. Get them talking about themselves. MBAs LOVE talking about themselves. Why just the other day I was talking to this MBA and the funniest thing happened to me…
675#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-21 14:38:39 | 只看该作者
Is the MBA interview really that important?

Yes it is! Do your research! Interviews are the final piece of the puzzle. We have all the numbers, the accolades, the resume, and the recommendations, but what we don’t have is an understanding of you – up close and personal. This interview is your opportunity to convince us that all the information on paper is in sync with the person sitting in front of us.

Universities have different interview protocols, so find out how your interview will be conducted: will it be a series of questions and answers or will it be open ended, i.e. tell us about yourself? How long is the interview? Do I have 30 minutes or an hour? What is the focus of the interview? How much should I know about the school? (A LOT). Do your research and be prepared for anything.
676#
发表于 2014-10-22 22:54:49 | 只看该作者
thanks, JonFrank.  Appreciate this very much.
677#
发表于 2014-10-23 14:25:10 | 只看该作者
Thank you for your answers!
678#
发表于 2014-10-25 01:16:28 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon, I have a question about the reference letter. Usually schools will require the recommenders to fill out the recommendation forms which include some specific questions such as examples of leaderships. And they also accept the separate personalized reference letters. I think the uniform form is better as it is clearer and simpler while the reference letters are varied in writing style and format. Could I have your comments?

Best,
Chen
679#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-28 10:31:27 | 只看该作者
What makes a great MBA interview?

We interview for many hours each day during interview season, so what ARE we looking for in an applicant? Someone who grabs our attention, who captivates our interest and, truthfully, keeps us from drifting off into thoughts of what we have to do when we get home that day. Walk in with confidence and a purpose, yet be humble and appreciative of the opportunity to interview at the school of your dreams. Show some energy, life, passion and enthusiasm.

You have a very short amount of time to “hook” us so put some time into thinking about what you want to say. What are the main things we need to know about you? We don’t want everyone to be the same and you need not yet have saved the world—we just want you to be articulately authentic, poised and able to weave together a cogent story.
680#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-11-3 14:32:53 | 只看该作者
When you say “stories”, what kind of stories are you looking for?

Quite simply, we are looking for insight into the applicant’s character, which is defined as “the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual”. We are evaluating, both subjectively and objectively, how that person will fit into our environment, our classroom and our student body. We are also making note of what he will contribute to our school as both a student and a future alumnus.

Character, eh? That’s pretty deep stuff. What’s the thought process like?

We view the interviewee through the lens of future classmates, professors and colleagues: does he have the brainpower to succeed; the initiative and imagination to be a strong contributor and the personality/character to engender trust and confidence? Schools naturally want all of their students to succeed and not fail or drop out. Will this person fit the bill and be a valued classmate and student? The ability to do the work is imperative, but it must be supported by character.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-23 16:40
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部