查看: 17484|回复: 45
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[学校信息] Duke新生欢迎帖。一年级同学在此开贴回答关于Duke学习生活的各种问题。

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-1-20 10:51:57 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Dear Duke Admitted Students,

I am a first year MBA student at Fuqua. First of all, congratulations on being admitted to Duke MBA program! You guys did an excellent job!

In order to help you make a decision of whether to accept this offer or not, OR help you make good preparation from now to the date of enrollment, here I open this post to take questions that you may have. I also learn that many of you will meet and network with each other. If you have common questions, you could also post questions as a group. I will try my best to help you, or direct the right people/resources. Though our responses are based on our personal experiences (not official), we want to do it in a way that we demonstrate "Team Fuqua"!

Once again, congratulations!

**********一点说明:

各位同学,

首先再次恭喜大家拿到Duke的Offer,并非常赞赏大家积极准备的行动力。

开此贴的目的,是尽我所能帮助大家解答有关在Duke学习和生活的问题。我想,问题大概分成这样三类:

第一类是经验经历类:类似于开学前的求职准备、学校的某个program有什么特色、club可以involve的活动等有关facts和experiences之类的问题,我亲身经历过或者观察过的,可以与大家分享感受与见闻;

第二类是规章流程类:类似于学校是否提供免费的幼儿园等有关学校在教学和运营管理上的规定,如果问题非常具体,我很可能没有亲身经历,最好的途径,是与学校直接取得联系,获取官方的解释;

第三类是介于两者之间的,类似于全部贷款是否在获得visa上有难度,规章流程上,要了解并按照既定程序来,这个需要自己下功夫,不能外包也不能偷懒;经验经历上,我一定会把我知道的分享给大家。

仅在这里做一点说明,希望我能够在有限的时间里尽最大努力帮助大家。
收藏收藏2 收藏收藏2
沙发
发表于 2010-1-20 11:03:04 | 只看该作者
果然非常collaborative
板凳
发表于 2010-1-20 11:07:39 | 只看该作者
这个要顶一下~
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-20 11:28:50 | 只看该作者
Here are some points to start with:

1 - Transition: DCSSA website (杜克大学中国学生学者联谊会). Under "New Comers" section, there are many useful materials for how to get prepared for transition. http://dukechina.org/blog/topics/3-new-comers

2 - Academics: if you are pure Fine Arts background, a BASIC level preparation of statistics and microeconomics is very helpful.

3 - English: frankly, if you speak good English, you will find your advantage (at least not a disadvantage) at school.

4 - Career: three things - one, think hard what you really want to do; if you can't find an answer, think what you DO NOT want to do; two, start networking with alumni and current students to understand your target industry and company; and three, it is never too late to get prepared; I guarantee everyone that you will find how much you want to have 48 hours within a day.
5#
发表于 2010-1-20 11:51:38 | 只看该作者
great thanks for the tips above!

i have a question regarding the English Language Institute. How necessary it is to go to the institute? i am thinking about applying the waiver... what's the % of admitted students who participated in the institue last year? the starting date is not convenient for me, but if it's like a warm-up or getting-to-know-people occassion, i might consider going. fyi - i work in an MNC where English is the first language and half-year oversea education.

thanks again!
6#
发表于 2010-1-20 11:54:42 | 只看该作者
好贴,要顶!
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-20 12:04:41 | 只看该作者
great thanks for the tips above!

i have a question regarding the English Language Institute. How necessary it is to go to the institute? i am thinking about applying the waiver... what's the % of admitted students who participated in the institue last year? the starting date is not convenient for me, but if it's like a warm-up or getting-to-know-people occassion, i might consider going. fyi - i work in an MNC where English is the first language and half-year oversea education.

thanks again!
-- by 会员 abigred (2010/1/20 11:51:38)

Congratulations on your offer!

You are correct - the objective of LI is to get ready for your communication skills and start networking with your peers. Here are some points:

1. most international students are required to attend LI (U.S. students won't join); some of them have applied waiver, due to their background. I am one of them. English is my major; I have been teaching English (part-time) for years; and I worked for FIEs and used English in many different situations. You may try to contact school and explain why you are qualified for a waiver.

2. the value of LI is to get you prepared. Communication in a pure English environment is not as easy as you expect. I do see some students suffer in both classes and after-class networking events. Come and get prepared - that could help you anyway.

3. in the first term, there is one core course named "Management Communication". some students find their LI experiences are helpful for that course.

overall, it could be discussed with school. LI has some value, but it depends on different people.
8#
发表于 2010-1-20 13:43:49 | 只看该作者
hi, buddy,
i am in the waitlist...but i am really intersted in Fuqua program.
do you have any suggestions to help me get admitted? what's the next step i can do to help the admission committee make the decision...
Many thanks
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-20 14:30:54 | 只看该作者
hi, buddy,
i am in the waitlist...but i am really intersted in Fuqua program.
do you have any suggestions to help me get admitted? what's the next step i can do to help the admission committee make the decision...
Many thanks
-- by 会员 夕X4 (2010/1/20 13:43:49)

hi, thanks for your interest in Duke MBA. I am not familiar with your application, and can't comment on specific actions you can take. But being on the waitlist shows that you are seriously considered by the school. generally, you may do:

- try to search for similar background admitted students, and see how they made it in;

- see if you really have areas for improvement and make improvement. e.g. GMAT, leadership experiences and etc;

- keep in touch with your interviewer and school contact and show your commitment;

- network with current students and alumni and ask for advice - be careful about that, because you may impress them or disappoint them as well.

There are cases where WLed applicants are admitted. Keep it positive, and good luck!
10#
发表于 2010-1-20 14:48:24 | 只看该作者
justgoahead, Thank you for your kind helps.

May I ask you a question: What do you wish you had done before enrolled in the MBA class? I am considering doing something to prepare myself for the coming class and my future job search. My background is engineering; and my goal is consulting. Maybe a CFA or pre-MBA internship is a good idea? Thanks in advance
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 22:51
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部