打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Ask Jason@沃顿 (my essays inside!) Free essay advice again~

[精华]   [复制链接]
61#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-2-23 00:00:56 | 只看该作者
Up
62#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-2-23 04:31:00 | 只看该作者
I recently asked the Wharton adcom for copies of my own essays (I'd lost them). Here's my failure essay.

Question: Describe a failure that you have experienced. What role did you play, and what did you learn about yourself? (500 words)

Absolute US was an annual event in Singapore that helped prospective students meet those of us who were already schooling in USA. It is now defunct, but I’d once tried- and failed- to resurrect it.

When I took this up, Absolute US had been on the brink of death, and I’d begun the project by formulating a three-faceted revival plan. First, it’d previously been held at Singapore’s largest club, and I decided on a smaller and cozier venue instead. Second, some games would be organised to spice things up. Finally, a team of motivated shareholders- rather than low-energy volunteers- would be assembled by pitching Absolute US as a money-making venture. Besides arming myself with a good plan, I also worked extremely hard, playing whatever role was necessary- be it the leader who’d formulated the entire plan; the more hands-off project consultant; or the event’s game designer- to make my re-conceptualization a reality.

I had a good plan, a dedicated team, and had been doing whatever it took to succeed. But in spite of this, Absolute US 2006 boasted historical attendance lows and didn’t make a profit. What’d gone wrong?

Having reflected upon the affair, I now realize that the project had been doomed from the start, because of three errors in execution.

First, we’d ignored local contexts. Making plans from abroad left the project without proper intelligence on the ground. I’d designed the new, apparently perfect, plan and organized the team when I was in Chicago in April 2006. When my team returned to Singapore in June after school had ended, I went to Thailand for a month of social work. As students who’d spent the year abroad, we eventually picked a venue that turned out to be a has-been so past its popularity peak that it folded a month after our event. A better appreciation of the need for ground-level research would have served us well.

Second, as leader I’d failed to strike a balance between involvement with the project vision and its details. I’d worked hard, involving myself in all the project nitty-gritty’s. However, my trying to go it alone working out every detail, rather than trusting others to execute, not only caused a breakdown in communication of the project vision to my team, but also left them without a leader for a short period when I was in Thailand. Though I’d immediately stepped down and become a project consultant instead after realizing the problem, it’d been too late. The leaderless period had already demoralized my team.

Third, I’d lacked a backup plan. I’d taken for granted that no hiccups would occur, and when one did, I was caught unprepared. In particular, I’d planned to communicate from Thailand via email, but this eventually proved unfeasible because I’d unexpectedly lacked internet access.

What I’d learnt, in short, was that having a neat idea is no guarantee of successful execution. This had been a painful but educational experience, and I look forward to doing things differently- and succeeding- in future endeavors.
63#
发表于 2010-2-23 04:53:32 | 只看该作者
I recently asked the Wharton adcom for copies of my own essays (I'd lost them). Here's my failure essay.

Question: Describe a failure that you have experienced. What role did you play, and what did you learn about yourself? (500 words)

Absolute US was an annual event in Singapore that helped prospective students meet those of us who were already schooling in USA. It is now defunct, but I’d once tried- and failed- to resurrect it.

When I took this up, Absolute US had been on the brink of death, and I’d begun the project by formulating a three-faceted revival plan. First, it’d previously been held at Singapore’s largest club, and I decided on a smaller and cozier venue instead. Second, some games would be organised to spice things up. Finally, a team of motivated shareholders- rather than low-energy volunteers- would be assembled by pitching Absolute US as a money-making venture. Besides arming myself with a good plan, I also worked extremely hard, playing whatever role was necessary- be it the leader who’d formulated the entire plan; the more hands-off project consultant; or the event’s game designer- to make my re-conceptualization a reality.

I had a good plan, a dedicated team, and had been doing whatever it took to succeed. But in spite of this, Absolute US 2006 boasted historical attendance lows and didn’t make a profit. What’d gone wrong?

Having reflected upon the affair, I now realize that the project had been doomed from the start, because of three errors in execution.

First, we’d ignored local contexts. Making plans from abroad left the project without proper intelligence on the ground. I’d designed the new, apparently perfect, plan and organized the team when I was in Chicago in April 2006. When my team returned to Singapore in June after school had ended, I went to Thailand for a month of social work. As students who’d spent the year abroad, we eventually picked a venue that turned out to be a has-been so past its popularity peak that it folded a month after our event. A better appreciation of the need for ground-level research would have served us well.

Second, as leader I’d failed to strike a balance between involvement with the project vision and its details. I’d worked hard, involving myself in all the project nitty-gritty’s. However, my trying to go it alone working out every detail, rather than trusting others to execute, not only caused a breakdown in communication of the project vision to my team, but also left them without a leader for a short period when I was in Thailand. Though I’d immediately stepped down and become a project consultant instead after realizing the problem, it’d been too late. The leaderless period had already demoralized my team.

Third, I’d lacked a backup plan. I’d taken for granted that no hiccups would occur, and when one did, I was caught unprepared. In particular, I’d planned to communicate from Thailand via email, but this eventually proved unfeasible because I’d unexpectedly lacked internet access.

What I’d learnt, in short, was that having a neat idea is no guarantee of successful execution. This had been a painful but educational experience, and I look forward to doing things differently- and succeeding- in future endeavors.
-- by 会员 jelt2359 (2010/2/23 4:31:00)

Thanks for sharing...as you mentioned previously, no 'silver lining'...Very well-written....

Now I think one of the biggest reasons why Wharton dinged me was my writing skills.
64#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-2-23 04:57:03 | 只看该作者
Analysing my own essay.

Question: "Describe a failure that you have experienced. What role did you play, and what did you learn about yourself?"

"Describe a failure that you experienced."
1) I described the failure very clearly. In the first paragraph I said what was the event in a short and succinct manner. In the third paragraph I also made clear why this was a failure: "historical attendance lows and didn't turn a profit". No ambiguity whatsoever, and no excuses posed. The event was a disaster.

"What role did you play"
2) In the second paragraph I reference "playing whatever role was necessary- be it the leader who’d formulated the entire plan; the more hands-off project consultant; or the event’s game designer- to make my re-conceptualization a reality." It is also clear that this was my project, so I owned it.

"What did you learn about yourself?"
3) I answered this in a less direct way. I learnt that I tended to focus on the "neat idea", but in future had to focus more on "successful execution" as well. I didn't say this outright, but it was clear throughout my essay I was honestly trying to "learn" something- I had come away from the experience having identified three errors, rather than trying to find excuses.

Other things to notice:
1) I did not find excuses to "frame my failure as a success". Many applicants spend half the essay talking about the failure, and then half the essay trying to apply the lessons to a later situation to show they had 'succeeded'. Instead, I assure the adcom that I will succeed in future, because by my very approach- no excuses- I show that I have internalised the lessons learnt. Rather, someone who is concerned with excuses, may lead to the adcom questioning if an applicant has truly understood that he had screwed up.

2) My essay is very critical of myself. This shows confidence, honesty, and humility. I use phrases like "I'd failed".. "I'd lacked"... "I'd taken for granted"... These are very critical, and aren't, "Because of this, I chose to... Unfortunately it failed". Again, no excuses.

3) The essay is very analytical. This tells them that I will approach business questions in a logical, structured manner.

4) The trick to failure essays is to show how what you had done makes sense, but you still screwed up and so still have something to learn. My second paragraph is aimed at showing that, "hey, I wasn't dumb. I had some good ideas and did some good things too." This has two effects: 1) it shows you're not totally hopeless 2) it shows that, you are able to learn from something EVEN WHEN you had a good plan to begin with. It's often easy to say, "I screwed up, something must change". But it's harder to say, "I may have done well, but how can I do better?"

5) I first -showed- them what I learnt in paragraphs 5, 6 and 7 (First... Second... Third), showing an attention to detail. Then I showed the ability to extrapolate to bigger learnings: ("What I’d learnt, in short, was that having a neat idea is no guarantee of successful execution."). A successful communicator needs to be able to look at detail in order to support your point, but also be able to sum things up in one sentence.

Interesting things:

1) I write in short paragraphs. This might irritate some people (...one sentence cannot be a paragraph!). But that's my style.

2) Although I have no work experience, notice how this extra-curricular activity could easily be 'running an event at work'. The scale of the event is not important. This does not involve the whole school: I am not a leader of the entire UChicago. But leadership can be shown in almost everything you do- regardless of the scale (number of people attending..) or context (work vs school).

3) I include 'small details' like "I went to Thailand for a month of social work". This is another way to talk about other activities you did, that may not justify a whole essay, or that you may not want to over-emphasising, in case the adcom suspects that I'm just doing social work so that it looks good on an essay/resume.

4) I spent about 50 hours on this essay. I went through about 5 different versions. Each of them looked very different to the last.

Hope this helps!
Jason
65#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-2-23 05:03:37 | 只看该作者
Thanks for sharing...as you mentioned previously, no 'silver lining'...Very well-written....

Now I think one of the biggest reasons why Wharton dinged me was my writing skills.
-- by 会员 maxdaddy (2010/2/23 4:53:32)

See "other things to notice", point 1 and 2. Choosing to have a "silver lining" is not a problem of writing. It's that you end up NOT showing those point that I had shown (self-confidence, humility, etc.) Good writing is often a matter of what you choose to write and not write (eg. a silver lining); what you choose to put in and not put in (eg. a structure for analysing decisions). It is less about "what word did you use? How is your grammar?" and so on.

In short, there are two types of "writing skills": "thinking skills" (what did you choose to put in?) and "execution skills" (what words did you use?). The former is very relevant to a business leader; the latter is more relevant to a writer/author. That's why business schools emphasise the essays so much: they're not looking for good writers (the second type of "writing skills")... they're looking for good thinkers. You can outsource writing, but you can't outsource thinking. (this, btw, is why many 'application consultants' fail. They are good at helping with writing, but not thinking.)
66#
发表于 2010-3-24 10:33:10 | 只看该作者
ask一个问题:如果进了某校面试,是不是说明GPA/G/T/Essay没有问题呢?
如果是,那面试如何能够筛掉80%的合格人选?
如果不是,那学校为什么不先把基本没希望的筛出去,还要先面一下呢?
67#
发表于 2010-3-24 11:15:03 | 只看该作者
我觉得进面试和没问题是两回事
面试个人觉得80%是无用的,verify一下而已

所以好多情况其实应该是面试之前就知道你是不是可能可以录取
68#
发表于 2010-3-24 11:17:31 | 只看该作者
那就比较奇怪第二个问题了:如果不是,那学校为什么不先把基本没希望的筛出去,还要先面一下呢?
69#
发表于 2010-3-24 11:30:50 | 只看该作者
个人观点:
1.学校不排除小概率事件,比如文章代写,或者某人文章稍弱但只是文字表达不够好但其实人很牛
2.不排除作秀

我们招员工不也是么?看了两份入围面试的简历,其实你心理应该有谱谁比较可能谁比较不可能吧?面试只是验证下你的感觉是对的而已
70#
发表于 2010-3-24 12:07:12 | 只看该作者
但是我就不会选出这么大比例去面试,如果我的acceptance是20%,我只会挑30%的面试,中间那10%是给不确定的.而不会面试50%的人...
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 23:18
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部