ChaseDream
搜索
12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

正确答案: B

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 5485|回复: 12
打印 上一主题 下一主题

GWD-29-Q24

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2009-1-24 07:53:00 | 只看该作者

GWD-29-Q24

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A.      wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

B.      wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

C.      wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

D.      total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

E.       total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

这道题的正确答案是C,我在AC间徘徊了一下,这个比较句应该是说wild animal比livestock有更少的脂肪。既然用wild animal做主语,那么than 后面不应该是livestock have为了重复用do代替。我这么想对么?一向对比较有些晕!

沙发
发表于 2009-1-24 09:14:00 | 只看该作者
C感觉不对啊,WILD ANIMALS和LIVESTOCK做比较啊,THAT在当中指代的什么呢?
板凳
发表于 2009-1-24 09:51:00 | 只看该作者
A, E: "they" has no referent (or worse, it refers to "livestock")
A, B: a "have" is necessary after the "and" because it is unclear that "more of a kind..." is parallel to "grain" or "less total fat...".
D: illogical comparison: total fat vs. livestock.
C is correct. "that" refers to "total fat".
地板
发表于 2009-1-24 09:54:00 | 只看该作者

是wild animals和 livestock led ...(animals)比较,that 指代fat.其他选项不是and两边并列错误,就是they指代错误。thought 被动后通常是 to be

5#
发表于 2009-1-25 14:52:00 | 只看该作者
I have fewer friends than you do  和 I have fewer friends than those of you   都对么?
6#
发表于 2009-1-25 15:23:00 | 只看该作者
ummm...
I have fewer friends than you do/have對
I have fewer friends than those of you有點awkward...
C要用that of X的結構是因為後面有fed on grain修livestock...如果不是C也挺awkward<=個人意見...
7#
发表于 2009-2-26 11:27:00 | 只看该作者

正確答案是B

從國外知名論壇 Mgmat的看到的

B. It correctly compares wild animals to livestock fed on grain and constructs the "less X and more Y" idiom correctly.

C compares wild animals to "that of" livestock... what is "that of" referring to? It also says "have less X and have more Y" - we don't need the second have. The first have can apply to both parts of the idiom.

---------------------------

Stacey Koprince

Instructor

Director of Corporate Development

ManhattanGMAT

8#
发表于 2009-3-22 13:16:00 | 只看该作者

转发一下800bob的解释:

"That" is not only unnecessary, but wrong.

When a comparison includes "than that of" the word "that" refers to a specific noun. For example, in the following sentence:

The population of California is greater than that of New York.

..."that" stands in for "the population." The sentence can also be written:

The population of California is greater than the population of New York.

In choice C of the item under discussion:

wild animals have less total
            fat than that of livestock fed on grain

...what does "that" stand in for?

The problem with this item is that there is no good answer choice. What is the source? I'm sure it's not a real GMAT question.

The sentence should be something like this:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and that of meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total
            fat than do livestock fed on grain and more fat of a kind thought to be good for cardiac health.

C says: "wild animals have less total
        fat than that of livestock fed on grain." If "that" stands for "total fat" then the C means: "wild animals have less total
        fat than the total
        fat of livestock fed on grain." To me that makes no sense. The sentence is trying to compare wild animals with domesticated animals. It should read: "wild animals have less total
        fat than do livestock fed on grain."

There is no good answer. I suppose you could say that B is the "least bad," but settling for the "least bad" is never necessary on the GMAT. There's always a good sentence.

I wish I had stayed out of this discussion. I generally prefer not to comment on bogus questions.

I will try one more time to explain why C is wrong, and then I promise to shut up. A comparison needs "than that of" or "than those of" only when it is comparing one possession or attribute to another possession or attribute. Generally the first item in the comparison will either be followed by a prepositional phrase beginning with "of" or be preceded by a possessive. Examples:

The total mass of all the asteroids is less than that of the Moon.
("That" refers to "mass," which is followed by "of.")

Shanghai's birth rate is lower than that of Western countries.
("That" refers to "birth rate," which is preceded by the possessive "Shanghai's.")

In choice C:

...wild animals have less total
            fat than that of livestock fed on grain...

"that," I suppose, is meant to refer to "total fat," but "total fat" is not followed by "of" or preceded by a possessive.

Try googling on "less total
        fat than" and you will get hundreds of hits, such as these:

Walkers Lites and Potato Heads contain 33% less total
                    fat than Walkers crisps.

"Reduced-fat" ice cream contains at least 25 percent less total
                    fat than the regular product.

Body mass indices did not demonstrate that men had less total
                    fat than women.

Peanuts actually have less total
                    fat than most other nuts.

Turkey has less total
                    fat than other meats.

Even the very fattest wild land mammals contain 60-75% less total
                fat than the average domesticated animal.

In general, fish and poultry have less total
                    fat than red meats.

Grass-fed beef has a much better fatty acid ration and less total
                    fat than grain-fed animals.

Duck breast meat prepared without the skin (2 grams) has less total
                    fat than chicken (3 grams) and more fat than turkey (0.5 grams).

Wild deer meat has 44 percent less total
                    fat than beef.

KFC chicken had only slightly less total
                    fat than a Whopper.

The higher muscled-scored animal not only has more total meat but also has less total
                    fat than the lower muscle-scored animal.

Grass-finished meat has considerably less total
                    fat than grain-fed animals.

Chicken without skin has less saturated fat and less total
                    fat than chicken with skin.

Wild animals not only have less total
                    fat than livestock fed on grain, but more of their fat is of a kind (omega-3) thought to be good for cardiac health.

(The last example, taken from a New York Times article, is obviously the source of the SC item under discussion here.)

Try googling on "less total
            fat than that of" and you will get not one single hit.

9#
发表于 2009-5-21 13:40:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用AlienX在2009-1-24 9:51:00的发言:
A, E: "they" has no referent (or worse, it refers to "livestock")
A, B: a "have" is necessary after the "and" because it is unclear that "more of a kind..." is parallel to "grain" or "less total fat...".
D: illogical comparison: total fat vs. livestock.
C is correct. "that" refers to "total fat".

C里面,把“that of”去掉可以么,直接是wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain
10#
发表于 2009-8-3 01:24:00 | 只看该作者
qqqqq
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-19 15:25
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部