12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 14446|回复: 12

真題12&14

[复制链接]
发表于 2003-12-2 16:59:00 | 显示全部楼层

真題12&14

真題兩題請大牛幫幫忙....

12. Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.  
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal
I chose D/A is correct

14. In 1990’s, there are more babies were born by women over thirty years old than under it.
A than under it.
B than were they under it.
C than had been under it
D than were the babies.
E than those were under it.

I chose D/A is correct
What does "it"indicate??  

先謝過....

发表于 2003-12-3 14:24:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用beavis在2003-12-2 16:59:00的发言:
真題兩題請大牛幫幫忙....

12. Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.  
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishesthe respiratory system’s ability to deal
  B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal
I chose D/A is correct

D不够简洁, the capability of the respiratory system to deal比the respiratory system’s ability to deal复杂。再者ability优先于capability。

14. In 1990’s, there are more babies were born by women over thirty years old than under it.
A than under it.
C than had been under it
D than were the babies.

I chose D/A is correct
What does "it"indicate??  

先謝過....

仍然从简洁性考虑。不过D错在比较对象有问题。这里是babies与babies对比了。而题目本是over thirty years old 与 under it的妇女比较。
发表于 2005-10-2 07:58:00 | 显示全部楼层
A & E
发表于 2006-6-28 16:56:00 | 显示全部楼层

比较级中的省略和补出问题really worth our exploration...主要是看比较对象 从而使得比较对象清晰

than前面出现了两个或者两个以上的名词 那么这里很有可能要补出一些其他的东西 来使得比较对象更加清晰明了 比如说补出时间 介词短语 还有谓语动词(注意时态的不对称) 还有一些代词如(it, they)

发表于 2006-7-5 18:07:00 | 显示全部楼层
A than under it.
C than had been under it
D than were the babies.

把省略的补充出来看: there are more babies were born by women over thirty years old than (those born)by women under thirty years old. 其中,年龄可以用it 代替,并且之前的部分由于完全相同,可以省略。所以成了A项。

发表于 2006-7-5 18:20:00 | 显示全部楼层

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
I

因为原因需要一个完整句子表达,所以排除BE,A较之CD,主要是A的句意更直接,简洁。一个to do 不定式做ability的同位语,成了一个完整的意义补充;虽有capability of to do 的例子,但局限于后接两个并列的不定式,单独用还是倾向于ing,另外的一个原因前面的人已经说过了,所以不选D;细看C,简化结构后为:capability of sth in doing.注意这个多出来的In,有了它,味道完全变了,本来不应该加,有了它就指在dealing这方面的能力被削弱了,而没有起到应该起的补充解释作用。此外,capability多用于指人的可发展的,应用的才能,工作能力。在这里讲硫化物,还是用ability好些。

做点补充:查了朗文字典。上面明确说有capability to do sth.,
  举例:A willingness and a capability to change are necessaryto meet the market's needs. 但是请注意观察这个例子,capability不是单独使用的,后面的不定式明显是同时做willingness和capability的同位语。

发表于 2010-8-29 16:03:13 | 显示全部楼层
this problem is a pure test of word choice / idiomatic expression. that's a situation that i don't see often on official problems; it's almost as though the gmat is taking cheap potshots at the (great many) non-native speakers of english who take the test.

* "specially", which means "in a special way", is incorrect here. (example of correct use: "the specially crafted exclusive edition of this car costs more than the standard edition") you want "especially", which means "in particular" or "more so than all the others". therefore D and E are gone.

* "capability of ____ing" and "capability in ____ing" are unidiomatic, so B and C are gone.

those two are enough, but note also:
* "because of ____ing", where ____ing is a verb participle, is unidiomatic, so B and E are gone.
NOTE: be careful with this elimination. if ____ing is an adjective, not a participle, then "because of ____ing NOUN" is a perfectly acceptable structure, as in "because of diminishing returns, i don't get as much interest from my bank account anymore".
发表于 2010-9-1 13:54:27 | 显示全部楼层
贴一个关于specially和especially的应用区别:
When it comes to the adjectival forms, especially should always be used. It modifies a verb, adverb or adjective and means “particularly” or “exceptionally”:

His train was running especially late that day.
We were especially happy to see you.
I put the cake especially high.
Specially is becoming more common but still tends to sound rather informal, even a little child-like (“I drew this picture specially for you!”) There is a lot of debate around whether “specially” is appropriate in some cases, but if you want to be sure, stick with “especially”.
发表于 2011-2-24 06:12:45 | 显示全部楼层
弱弱问一句:不是说过只有人的所有格才能加 's吗....?
发表于 2011-4-26 10:44:08 | 显示全部楼层
弱弱问一句:不是说过只有人的所有格才能加 's吗....?
-- by 会员 msginger (2011/2/24 6:12:45)

同问!什么情况下用所有格形式才正确!难道又是新东方的总结有问题!?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 08:10
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部