返回列表 发新帖
楼主: roy226
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[录取汇报] finance PhD选校建议

[精华] [复制链接]
11#
 楼主| 发表于 2024-2-10 15:18:56 | 只看该作者
raccoon_paw 发表于 2024-2-10 14:43
如果老师冷漠就建议你热情点。首先,按你自己的说法你的BG一般,那就不是他们的第一选择;其次,tier越高 ...

受教了!那我再去confirm一些消息,再等等做决定吧。非常感谢您提供的信息
12#
发表于 2024-2-10 17:10:53 | 只看该作者

To recap the other responses with a little variance, placement-wise Oklahoma, Missouri, and FSU are at least one tier above USF and Drexel. FSU is kind of unsung and underrated in this forum. Although it is included in Tier 4 in the Placement Rankings, it rightfully belongs to the upper bracket of the tier or even the lower bracket of Tier 3. For Fin (and probably some of the other concentrations), both Oklahoma and FSU outshine Missouri. The choice among USF and Drexel should be made by weighing, among other things, curriculum, faculty support availability, funding, teaching load, and geographical location. I would give most serious consideration to USF. By the way, Drexel is often singled out as a classical case in which performance of the PhD program is glaringly incompatible with faculty research reputation.
13#
 楼主| 发表于 2024-2-11 03:59:02 | 只看该作者
Tripleg 发表于 2024-2-10 17:10
To recap the other responses with a little variance, placement-wise Oklahoma, Missouri, and FSU are ...

Thank you, Triplet. I've been tracking your posts even before I signed up on this forum, and they've served almost as a guidebook for me, as I'm sure they have for many others
14#
发表于 2024-2-11 17:36:00 | 只看该作者
LZ,请问Missouri是在 WL 吗?你这么好的背景怎么会被 WL。。。。。我比你弱一个 order of magnitude,申 mizzou 之前给 director 发邮件他说我是个 strong candidate,申了之后再发就说我们的 pool很大。。。估计是没戏了
15#
 楼主| 发表于 2024-2-12 02:18:46 发自 iPhone | 只看该作者
deadtomb 发表于 8小时前
LZ,请问Missouri是在 WL 吗?你这么好的背景怎么会被 WL。。。。。我比你弱一个 ord...

谢谢你的夸奖,Mizzou没有wl我,他们应该还没出消息,我周三才面完二轮。说我是他们第一个面的二轮,可能他们面试都没发完呢。同学不用妄自菲薄,现在等待就好了,加油
16#
发表于 2024-2-12 02:49:53 | 只看该作者
要是我选,首先等Arizona;其次Oklahoma;再然后Kansas;Missouri。FSU那个去Tulsa我看过他的简历,不建议参考。有些学校就因为第五年funding的原因,我申请的时候没选。所以目前我应该会拒了FSU,然后拿USF保底。内心最想去Oklahoma,人多应该不会怎么踢人且中国人稳定balance。
17#
 楼主| 发表于 2024-2-12 08:02:40 | 只看该作者
没有自信了 发表于 2024-2-12 02:49
要是我选,首先等Arizona;其次Oklahoma;再然后Kansas;Missouri。FSU那个去Tulsa我看过他的简历,不建议 ...

谢谢你的回复,很有趣的观点。
18#
发表于 2024-2-12 11:21:19 | 只看该作者

Missouri vis-à-vis Oklahoma and FSU

Prompted by the chat here on Missouri vis-à-vis Oklahoma and Florida State, I could not help spending a few minutes perusing the school’s placement information for the Fin concentration. I was able to identify two errors (Missouri is not alone in having inaccurate or erroneous placement information, and the more lower-ranking a school is, the more pronounced the problem tends to be). The 2021 graduate (name omitted for privacy consideration, the same below) was initially placed at Northeastern as a visiting AP (currently at a seemingly ‘balanced’ school). The 2018 graduate was initially placed at Tulane as a visiting AP (currently at a teaching school). Note that both Northeastern and Tulane have a ‘notoriety’ for having hired a large number of visiting APs over the years. In addition, while the 2020 graduate is at UC Colorado Springs, which is an R2 institution, its business school is heavily teaching-focused and thus is a balanced school as a matter of fact. Also, the 2017 graduate is currently with Univ. of Northern Arizona, which is a typical teaching school, although his initial placement was Tulsa (an R2 institution with a balanced business school). Therefore, in a strict sense, of the Missouri Fin graduates since 2017, only one is currently with a research school, namely Miami University (in OH). Although being an R2 institution, Miami is a liberal arts college in disguise, that is, distinguished by a strong emphasis on teaching (the school is virtually absent from all research rankings of universities). In the final analysis, for the Fin domain Oklahoma and Florida State outperform Missouri to a large extent.

I also looked into Missouri’s placements in other concentrations, and similar errors caught my eyes. For Management, the 2018 graduate is currently at Eastern CT State, not UIUC or any of its satellite campuses as reported. For Marketing, the 2023 graduate is recorded as being initially placed at Univ of Southern California. This is undoubtedly an error – egregious in nature. The Management and Marketing concentrations are similar to Fin, with the former having one research school placement (Kansas State) and the latter two or three (e.g., Kentucky). However, Missouri deserves kudos for Accounting placements, most of which are research schools (e.g., ASU and Temple).

While I only took a cursory look at Oklahoma and FSU's non-Fin placements, I can safely claim that they are as good as those at Missouri. For instance, to my amazement, one FSU accounting graduate is currently an AP at UCLA Anderson School of Managament. To conclude, Oklahoma and FSU trump Missouri. Of the former, FSU seems to be slightly better than Oklahoma --an assertion backed by incomplete information as neither school publishes complete placements.

Finally, to address the queries posed above, Oklahoma allegedly has a relatively high rate of attrition given the low number of currently matriculated students despite annual intake being said to be up to five. The concern about the funding for the 5th year and beyond at FSU (or any other full-time program) is unwarranted in the majority of cases. The school ensures that it is covered by teaching and other avenues as long as one progresses satisfactorily toward the degree.

19#
发表于 2024-2-12 12:12:50 | 只看该作者
roy226 发表于 2024-2-12 02:18
谢谢你的夸奖,不过你没仔细看贴子吧。Mizzou没有wl我,他们应该还没出消息,因为我周三才面完二轮。而且说 ...

谢谢你的信息哈,竟然忘了恭喜你的offer 了哈哈。btw,我也在你的群里,你给大家建立组织和 shared doc 这件事本身就帮助了很多申请人(包括我),respect!
20#
发表于 2024-2-12 12:29:47 | 只看该作者
By the way, with respect to placements, USF is two tiers below FSU.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 15:52
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部