ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 3728|回复: 9
打印 上一主题 下一主题

which person should I ask to write recommendation?

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2003-8-18 12:21:00 | 只看该作者

which person should I ask to write recommendation?

I have 5 years working experience and low GPA and are preparing for the application of business school.

The school I am interested in need two recommendation letter.
I have two choices:
1. one recommendation letter from my colleague and the other from my boss, both of which are familiar with me and have a close relationship...

2. one from my boss and the other from my professor in University.
the reason I choose my professor is that I want him to prove my academic ability and thereby compensate for my poor GPA? But since he is not so familiar with me , I am not sure how many good words will he speak of me...

which method do you think will help me lot??

thank you very much..
沙发
发表于 2003-8-18 12:28:00 | 只看该作者
Considering the difference between the familiarity with your colleague and that with your professsor, I would say 1 is the better choice. Also, you can write an optional essay to explain the lower GPA if you really want to clear it. My two cents.
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-18 20:42:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用lewis在2003-8-18 12:28:00的发言:
Considering the difference between the familiarity with your colleague and that with your professsor, I would say 1 is the better choice. Also, you can write an optional essay to explain the lower GPA if you really want to clear it. My two cents.

thank you, lewis...I have some more more question:

1. Can I write an additional essay if it is not in the list of essays  posted by a school?

2. Do you think that the admission officer will trust my explanation of lower GPA without any support? Maybe my explanation can be better supported by some good words from professor.. But if the admission officer, generally, can trust my explanation without any support, I prefer to use my colleague as reference.

3. Do you think that one colleague that work together with me but not my boss is a good reference for me?

4. "My two cents" , what does it mean? hehe...my poor English..

thank you again..good, luck!

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-8-18 20:43:37编辑过]
地板
发表于 2003-8-18 21:27:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用albert在2003-8-18 20:42:00的发言:
1. Can I write an additional essay if it is not in the list of essays  posted by a school?

You are welcome.

Normally, business schoosl will ask you to write an optional essay to explain or supplement some facts you consider to be improtant in your application. Again, it is the general case.

2. Do you think that the admission officer will trust my explanation of lower GPA without any support? Maybe my explanation can be better supported by some good words from professor.. But if the admission officer, generally, can trust my explanation without any support, I prefer to use my colleague as reference.

Why not the officers trust you? As long as your explanation is reasonable, they will trust (at least before they get a negative impression on your application package).

3. Do you think that one colleague that work together with me but not my boss is a good reference for me?

As a reference, a boss is preferable to a colleague in MBA application's cases.

4. "My two cents" , what does it mean? hehe...my poor English..

Your English is pretty good. "My two cents" means "in my humble opinion".

Good luck!

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-18 22:23:00 | 只看该作者
lewis, thank you so much for your informantion and your patience ..

lewis, I have choose my supervisor as one of my reference...
regard to another reference, I am wondering who I should choose as reference...

one is my co-worker, who are close to me and familiar with me..
the other one is the boss of our company, who is not so close to me as my co-worker..
which one do you think help me lot??

thanks a lot..
6#
发表于 2003-8-18 22:48:00 | 只看该作者
According to my limited knowledge, Business schools prefer a supervisor to a colleague as a reference. May I ask you a question: for which type of company you work ?
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-19 00:59:00 | 只看该作者
in a bank.. I am a lead of a department..
I have chosed my supervisor as one of my reference, who is the vice president of my company..

but regarding to another reference, I have two choices.
1. the first one is the lead of another department  who always cooperate with me and has the same level with me in my company
2. the president of my company, who is not so close to me as the first alternative but still keep a pretty good relation with me..

I am wondering that  whether I should choose reference letter from vice president and president or reference letter from vice president and one of my colleague..

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-8-19 1:02:52编辑过]
8#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-19 01:08:00 | 只看该作者
one more question, the two reference I am choosing relates to the career of my last two years, when I got a promotion.

I don't know whether I should choose a reference relates to the career of my first 3 years before I get a promotion..

thank you so much!
9#
发表于 2003-8-19 09:01:00 | 只看该作者
I am wondering that  whether I should choose reference letter from vice president and president or reference letter from vice president and one of my colleague..

To me, either is OK. But the later might be safter.

I don't know whether I should choose a reference relates to the career of my first 3 years before I get a promotion..

No such need as long as you have two references in your current company.

Keep rolling on!

10#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-19 10:48:00 | 只看该作者
thank you, lewis..got it.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-24 19:56
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部