12#
发表于 2006-3-29 22:23:00 | 只看该作者

什么学校啊,是gsu 吗?

13#
发表于 2006-3-30 01:37:00 | 只看该作者
Cong LZ, again!
14#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-3-30 01:46:00 | 只看该作者
well,no matter what result, I have decided to write something after I finalize my deal.
15#
发表于 2006-3-30 06:37:00 | 只看该作者
Look forward to reading your article.
16#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-3-30 08:16:00 | 只看该作者

hehe, it might be a new case.

This is the reason I want to write something.

17#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-4-16 12:02:00 | 只看该作者

Per Margaret1013 MM's request, I am updating this thread.

Disclaimer: The following message is to my best knowledge and it might be more helpful to PhD applicants. I don't think it applies to admission only case. For admission of a Master's degree with funding, I admit I have no idea regarding whether the resolution of 4-15 is applicable.

Midnight Apr 15th has been passed, and literally I lost the pre-Apr-15 privilege.  As I have been dealing with 2 schools for the past 3-4 weeks, I will like to share some of my experience.  Hopefully, I can highlight something useful for new-comers in the future.

A school accepted me first and I also confirmed the offer via email with the school as I was only given 10 days; however, I decided to hold the confirmation with the graduate school till Apr 15th. B school accepted me afterward, but the funding issue has failed to be finalized. I somehow was in the middle of the scenarios Offer and Waiting List. Two offers on my track have been both accepted, but the school is still actively seeking funding for me. I fell grateful regarding this.

Examining what I have done, I think there are some lessons.

1, Should try to push the deadline back to Apr 15th, if the school sets up an early deadline. It is quite understandable for the school to set up a deadline earlier than Apr 15th, as it is much convenience for them to wipe up all the deals. However, for the applicants like us, it is definitely unfair. I think we can argue with school citing the resolution of Apr 15th. I assume most of the schools will concede, as we have grounds in any sense.

2. Be frank to the school. If the school cannot agree to push back the deadline and you also don't want to sacrifice such a chance, I think we need to address out possible results to the school. We can simply ask the school, “What if I get another offer after I accept yours? May I resign, prior to Apr 15th (or even after Apr 15th)?”  B school told me that one student did address such a concern to them this year, and the school believed that it was understandable that students wanted to secure a slot first and accept a better offer afterward. Obviously, I cannot guarantee every school will be the same; however, it is better to explore all possible scenarios first. For example, one professor of mine told me when she applied for PhD program by then, one school accepted her very early and asked her to make a decision in a short frame. She asked the school regarding the resignation after acceptance, and she was told this school would not be comfortable with such an action. She rejected this offer immediately, and gambling on another school, and eventually she won. Anyway, we can try to use a conditional acceptance to reserve our rights in such a case. The school won’t easily withdraw the offer only because such arguments back and forth.  

3. Document all the conversations between you and the schools properly. According to the common law practice in US, cyber message, such as email can be used as the proof. We won't expect a law suit; however it won't hurt if we prepare the worst. Try to address all your concerns in your email and have copies in your out-box fold. Save all replies from school and faculty. It is still common that the school and faculty cannot reply our email, or what they reply is not what we want to know. In this case, it is better to have a dialogue over the phone and discuss the entire issue. If so, it is necessary to write down the time, date, name of the person who answers your call and the answers this person has given to you.

Last but not least, I would like to address my appreciation to several friends here. This afternoon, I got a message from one buddy and this made me quite happy.

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-4-16 12:07:44编辑过]
18#
发表于 2006-4-16 15:02:00 | 只看该作者
哈哈,我第一个来支持你的总结。=op
[此贴子已经被作者于2006-4-16 15:02:05编辑过]
19#
发表于 2006-4-16 15:23:00 | 只看该作者
我也来支持一哈。
20#
发表于 2006-4-17 03:14:00 | 只看该作者
Man, whatever you choose, wherever you go, I'll always be here waiting for you...

hehe
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-18 22:42
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部