ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 2172|回复: 0

[学校信息] Record of Duke Fuqua MBA online chat 20120905

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2012-9-8 16:16:54 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Shuchun Yang:Is there any difference between virtue interview and on campus interview? I live far from Durham, but still in US. If get the chance to be interviewed, which way do you recommend?
Russell:I would encourage you to come to Durham, if you are able. We will also be conducting interviews in San Francisco. If you are unable to come to one of these locations, you may request an exception when you apply.
Rupa Bhojraj:If possible, during my visit to Duke, I would like to learn more about the Health Sector Management program. Would it be best to email hsm@fuqua.duke.edu to see if this is possible? Or is there another route you would recommend?
Russell:You can reach out to the HSM program to see if you can arrange a time to speak with them while you are here. If they are unable to meet with you, you can also reach out to students in the Healthcare Club who will not doubt be able to give you insight into the HSM program. I file this under customizing your campus visit. Don't just hope to run into students who can give you insight into what you are interested in. Reach out to the students through their clubs and see if you can spend a few minutes with them on the day of your visit. You can see the list of clubs with websites and contact info here: https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/club_signup
ReneeMitch:In reference to hadraus' question, where exactly do we state why we want an MBA? I've completed the application and did not see a specific section for this-essay 2 I believe would be the only portion where we could fit this in.
Jessica :You are incorrect in that there isn't a specific section for this. Yes, essay 2 (long term goals) could be an area that you include that information.
Dorothy:How does the question about where else I am applying affect my application? Is it ok to leave it blank? How is it relevant to the admissions decision?
Russell:It simply gives us market insight and we encourage you to complete as it won't affect your application.
Katie:Hello Admissions Team - how closely should my resume resemble the example provided in the application in terms of style?
Russell:I would encourage you to follow the guidelines as closely as you are able. Keep it to a page and make sure it conveys your professional accomplishments and progression. If you can't fit everything in, you will have other opportunities to provide more insight with your essays, interview in addition to the insight your recommenders may provide.
JuliaLMote:If I want to apply by the October 24 deadline, is it acceptable to take the GMAT on October 22?
Jessica :Hi Julia. Our office requires that you request your official score be sent to Fuqua prior to your application round deadline. Taking the GMAT after the submission date would delay the processing of your application (and won't be ready for review by the admissions committee). Any applications that remain incomplete will be pushed back to the next application round.
andre:Hi Admission team, thanks for your time. Re-application requires a completely new letter of reference rather than the two previously filed. I was wondering if the new LOR must be submitted by a different recommender or it could be updated input from one of the two previous recommenders. Thanks.
Russell:You should plan to have a new recommender provide your single recommendation as a re-applicant.
Katie:I understand the my on campus interview will be with a second year student. Can you provide a little more insight as to what I should expect? Could you describe the typical tone of the interview?
Russell:That is correct, a second year - Admissions Fellow - will conduct the interview. They will have a copy of your resume, and no other information from your application file. My advice is to follow the tone of the interviewer, which may vary depending on their style. Be prepared as if it were a job interview. Don't ask questions that are easily available, seize the opportunity to ask questions from someone with great insight that you couldn't get otherwise. If you walk away feeling like it was a good conversation, that is a good thing.
Fuqua Steve:A helpful hint....to follow whats going on at Fuqua and in the Duke community, like Fuqua on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Duke.Fuqua or follow Fuqua on Twitter @DukeFuqua
YuwenLI:Which kind of students does Duke value more? Students with solid work experience in big companies and ascend to managing position, or students with special work experience, but with less career progression?
Russell:We greatly value diversity and as such, appreciate the varied experiences our students bring to Duke. Many of our students do not come into the program with management experience. We will look closely at what you've done, and how you've grown as a professional throughout your career to date. If you have not had significant career progression, you will want to demonstrate how you've still been able to develop and hone new skills through your work.
Abhinav:Hi Jessica, Thank you for giving prospective students a chance to clear their doubts regarding applications. I have a question regarding recommendations. I am planning to take one of the recommendations from my current supervisor. I am slightly confused on the second one. I can either take it from my previous supervisor (with whom I used to work 1.5 years back). OR I can take it from the Managing Director of a startup. I worked part time with this start up to lead an initiative to add a new line of service offering to its portfolio. What do you think will be better?
Jessica :I would recommend that you select the recommender that would be able to speak in depth about your professional skills and abilities. Ultimately, they should be able to speak to your work ethic, ability to lead and work in teams, strengths, weaknesses, etc. You want to be sure to pick the recommender that would be able to address these key things in addition to the other questions that are asked on the form.
zack.crisan@gma:To follow up on Ned's question: my current employer is not aware that I'm applying to business school; therefore, one of my recommendations is from my former supervisor who recently moved to a new company. Should this be addressed in the optional essay? Thanks!
Fuqua Steve:Hi Zack, The optional essay is the appropriate place to address your situation.
Abhinav:I applied to Fuqua 2 years back. I am aware that I won't be considered as a re-applicant. However, I would like to know whether you will still go through my original application or not? Also, do I need to resubmit GMAT test scores?
Russell:You will be considered a new applicant and so will need to resubmit your GMAT test scores. We will not be reviewing your application from 2 years ago.
Powen:Thanks for the reply. I would like to know if it's possible to request changes of the location and date given in interview invitation? (changes within the date and location range)
Russell:Depending where you are, you may have a specific date that is already identified on our website, when you will need to be available to interview. These interviews will take place in select cities around the world and will include other activities where you can learn more about Duke and meet with alums. These are often hosted by Admissions Officers. In other cities around the world, candidates may be interviewed by alumni at a time and place agreed upon by both. If you have a schedule conflict you may also request an exception when submitting your application, as long as the interview can be completed by the date you are provided.
Kari LeBlancq:Hello all. What qualities or writing styles might make an essay particularly stand out to you?
Fuqua Steve:Kari, We see so many different approaches every year. I encourage you to be yourself and write in your voice. Dont feel like you have to write your essays in "business speak." The best way to stand out is to write in your own individual style....with solid judgement. Dont be afraid to use humor or show your personality, but make sure you are appropriate! Have fun with the essays. This is your chance to show who you truly are.
Ned Lipes:Hi Jessica, quick question on the Optional Essay. It says it's reserved for "extenuating circumstances", just to confirm here, can we use this as a chance to address a particularly weak part of our application in terms of growth since then or previously flawed perception? Or is it strictly for addressing inconsistencies in the application due to factors outside of our control?
Jessica :Ned, the optional essay should be used to address any inconsistencies in the application. It it not uncommon for applicants to address issues such as low GPA's, choice of recommenders, gaps in work experience, etc. You surely want to address any factors outside of your control that could have an impact on your application.
sgandhi76:Good afternoon, Can you elaborate a bit on the scholarship opportunities for early-action round applicants? Thanks!
Fuqua Steve:Generally speaking, scholarship opportunities are available every round (Early Action, Round 1, and Round 2). By Round 3, much of our scholarship allowance has already been allocated. Again, I would suggest applying in the Round where your feel like your application will be strongest. There is equal opportunity in all rounds (with the exception of Round 3) for merit based scholarship.
Rupa Bhojraj:Good Afternoon. Will you accept an updated GMAT score after the application has already been submitted?
Russell:You can submit an updated GMAT score after your application has been submitted and before you have received a final decision. If you are waitlisted, the updated GMAT score will be considered an update to your application file. We cannot accept an updated score if you receive a decision of deny.
aditi:good afternoon everyone, is any weightage given to internship served when the requirement of work experience is evaluated?
Russell:We do look at your entire professional profile which includes any internships in which you took part.
hadraus:Hi, Jessica! Than you for offering this chat session! I know there are many factors involved with selecting students, but I was wondering if there is an advice you can give regarding the most beneficial way of applying to the program/what has the most weight in the selection process?
Jessica :The application review process is holistic, meaning that all parts of the application are valued and weighed evenly. I always advise applicants to devote equal time to each part of the application. The most important thing to remember is that no one can tell your story better than you! Be sure to reflect on why you want to pursue a MBA and state those reasons clearly.
Dorothy:Hi, Could you talk a little bit about what you're looking for with the 25 random things essay question? Thanks!
Fuqua Steve:Hi Dorothy, Honestly, and simply, we want to get to know you! We are looking for a good balance of your personal and professional experiences and passions that make you unique. There are not many components of the application where you can share your personality. This is one of them! Have some fun....and be you!. Megan Lynam, Fuqua's Director of Admissions, comments on the essays on our Fuqua blog. http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/#.UEeWdbJmQ2Y Overall, the blog is a great resource for Fuqua applicants.
ReneeMitch:How do you recommend approaching Essay 2: Why Duke? Do you recommend that we first outline why an MBA or dive into the Why Duke aspect right away focusing on the education, extra-curricular activities, culture, etc.? What approach have successful applicants in the past taken?
Russell:The Why Duke essay is your opportunity to demonstrate those aspects of the Duke MBA that will help you achieve your personal and professional aspirations. This is where your research into the resources - programs, clubs, activities - and culture comes through.
Powen:Hello Jessica and Russell, This is Powen from Taiwan. Thanks for your time! I would like to know if there's any difference when school view applicants in EA and in R1/R2? And I noticed that the notification date of EA this year is bit earlier than that of 2011. could you share us the reason for the changes? Thank you!
Russell:Hi Powen, EA is for those applicants who know Duke is absolutely where they want to be. By applying in EA, if accepted, it means you know your plans and you will be done with the MBA application process and can now focus on preparing for the next two years. There is no significant difference between R1 and R2 and we do not view look at those candidates differently from those in EA. We moved all of our rounds up just a bit this year.
JuliaLMote:I saw that Fuqua has a calculus requirement. Does the Advanced Placement BC level calculus class that I took in high school fulfill the calculus requirement for admission? I received 8 credits at NYU for the class (which appear on my undergraduate transcript).
Jessica :Hi Julia! Yes, the AP calculus course from high school will fulfill the requirement as long as the credits appear on your transcript. Just be sure to state that in your application.
peter.j.goergen:Hello Jessica! I'm planning a trip down to Durham for a campus visit, and I was just wondering if any one day during the week is better than another. Thanks for your help.
Russell:Hi Peter, this is Russell. Our students like to advise you to come on a Friday as it will give you an opportunity to join them at their end of the week get together, Fuqua Friday, if your schedule permits. I would encourage you to leave time to join that activity as it is a great way to get to socialize with the students in an informal way. Your other options are Mon, Tue and Thur and there is no difference.
Erica:If we have not taken the GMAT but have taken the GRE, should we study to take the GMAT? i.e Will GRE be taken as seriously as the GMAT.
Jessica :Yes, Erica the GRE will be taken as seriously as the GMAT. You can submit a written request (email) to our office and ask to submit your GRE score in lieu of the GMAT with your application.
peter.j.goergen:I was also wondering if it's possible to speak with someone about the Cross Continent MBA during the Daytime MBA visit.
Russell:Yes. I would encourage you to reach out to the Admissions Counselor dedicated to the Cross Continent MBA program prior to your arrival to arrange a conversation. If she unavailable on your visit day, simply let the front desk know upon your arrival for your campus visit that you are interested in speaking with someone in our office about that program.
JinPark:Hello Fuqua Admissions Team! If I took a class through UCLA Extension, would it be correct to put UCLA as my "college #2"?
Russell:Yes, you can include that under college #2.
zack.crisan@gma:Are applications evaluated on a rolling basis or all together as a part of the round in which they are submitted?
Russell:Applications are reviewed by round.
JuliaLMote:Duke is my first choice and I hope to apply by the October 24 deadline. If that is not possible, I am at a disadvantage if I apply by the January 4 deadline?
Fuqua Steve:Julia, I would encourage you to apply in the round in which you are ready with your best application. If Duke is truly your first choice, make sure that passion comes across in your application. You would not be at a disadvantage if you apply for our January deadline.
Amit t:Good afternoon, What is the weight of the GMAT Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) score in the application evaluation process? Is there a minimum score?
Russell:Hi Amit, we do not have a minimum score requirement for the GMAT. We look at the AWA along with the rest of the GMAT score, however there is not a particular weight assigned to it.
Shayan:Good afternoon. My question is regarding an applicants work experience. When evaluating an applicants work experience, what does the admissions committee look for?
Jessica :Hi Shayan. The admissions committee will evaluate the breadth and depth of your work experience. The emphasis isn't so much on the number of years you've completed but more so on what you've done during your post grad work experience. We look for things such as the management and leadership positions you've held, projects you've worked on, promotions received, etc.
zack.crisan@gma:Are there any specific formatting requirements (header, candidate information, etc.) that should be included in the essays when they are uploaded to the application?
Russell:Hi, you can find specific requirements for the essays on our web site. Please go to the Apply section to see those details.
Fuqua Steve:Hi All, Thanks for coming! As a proud member of the Fuqua Admissions Team, as well as a Fuqua alumn, I am happy to answer any questions you have about the application process. I can only stay for a bit, so fire away!
Russell:My name is Russell and I am an Assistant Director at the Duke MBA. We look forward to seeing your questions.
Jessica :The focus of today's session is answer any questions about the application process for the Daytime program. Should you have more personal questions, feel free to contact the office and speak with an admissions officer.
Jessica :Good afternoon everyone! Thank you for attending today's Fuqua Talk session. Feel free to submit your questions.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 04:39
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部