[学校信息] MIT 今晚的online chat [2012-02-15]

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-2-16 00:26:01 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
主要是关于MIT MBA admissions process, program information, and student life。
三个房间,两个房间是adcom, 一个房间是2013的student.
没怎么整理,直接copy过来了,大家凑合看吧。。。
嫌长的同学可以ctrl + F查找 Harriet (Admissions), Kristen (Admissions), Janis “MBA 2013”, 这三个名字直接看他们的回答。

重要消息是,MIT将要从现在开始的一个星期后开始发R2的interview, 下面内容里面都可以找到:

Room 1:
Harriet (Admissions):  Good morning, everyone!  This is Harriet Barnett from the Admissions Office writing on a gloomy but mild day in Cambridge.  I will be answering questions in Room L - Z.  I am happy to be here and we will get started soon.  Where are people signing in from?
vipf08425:

New York City!
LJoshee9ad3:  NYC
RLee698f49: NYC as well
sopittenger@gmail.com:  NC
MCREELYda337f: Detroit
vatoya:  Bogota, Colombia
nrogov: Toronto
MRicardc914c9: NYC
NSardesaia1e206: los angeles
vipe3eac6:  DC
RReiddaebd8: Washington, DC
vip033d08:  eru
yobuddy16:  rovidence, RI
MTurnera858f7: Atlanta
SMichasb4760e: London, United Kingdom
WPeng917469: Taipei, Taiwan
vip03bd98: Thailand!
NKhemais24b680: Tunisia
RMa8d03a9: Toronto
vipe10619: Newton, MA
ro_sarto:  Boston
maomarvin:  Hudson, MA
vip5e2a4a:

Boston as well!
vipf718db: New York
LLuoe61087: Beijing
sxymr: Zhuhai/Hong Kong/Beijing
ROlowonirejuaro31282e:  Nigeria
vip08138a:  Chile
SChahanapally546f06:  Atlanta
phaines:  Omaha, NE
SPONNALURIb11a20: India
LNanes Noriegaa364d2: Mexico City =)
vipa74c94: from korea!
Harriet (Admissions): Goodness!  All over the place.  I am ready to begin.  
Harriet (Admissions): Please ask away.  I am a fast typist.
vipe10619: Hoe can one compensate for a low GMAT score? what could be considered as quantitative work experience? does work in pharmaceutical counts?
vipe10619: I meant- How can one  compensate for a low GMAT score?
sopittenger@gmail.com: I have schools who want an answer in mid March but MIT won't guarantee an answer until April 2.  Does it help to call and ask about my status?  
MCREELYda337f: Harriet, I recently got an email about a survey for a new program at Sloan. Will this program be available to students entering for the Fall 2012?
LLuoe61087: Harriet, may I ask when the R2 interview would be sent out?
RYadave16392:  India
vipf08425: Hi Harriet - I guess I will jump right in. Can you talk a little bit about international experiences
in the Sloan program that offer experiential learning opportunities?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipe:  An applicant can use the supplemental essay to explain what happened and ask us to put more emphasis on something such as grades or work experience.
RMa8d03a9: Hello, Everyone, this is Kevin from Toronto. I currently only have 2 years of working experience. Should I try to make up for it with a strong GMAT? or do a strong job demonstrating how my 2 years of experience are unique?
vipa74c94: I am R2 applicant, when can applicants get the message for the interview?
vatoya: Good morning Harriet. Can you walk us through the overall admission process at MIT? Specifically I'd like to know, what type of interview MIT runs once they invite a student...is it a CV-based interview? open interview? and who will interview?
Harriet (Admissions): To everyone who applied in r2 and wants to know about interview invitations:  Nothing has gone out yet.  I'd say a week to 10 days from now.
MRicardc914c9: Hi Harriet!  I am a scientist obtaining my PhD in Molecular Pharmacology.  In your experience as an admissions committee member, how well does someone with a PhD in science transition into the Sloan MBA program?
MTurnera858f7: Harriet - How common is it for MBA students to get involved with research the professors are working on? If so, how does it happen?
SRoshane1001d:  Thanks Harriet!
MRicardc914c9: Also, is there any news on the Biomedical Enterprise Program being re-instituted?
Harriet (Admissions): hi Vatoya:  We have two distinct rounds when applications come in.  We read for about five weeks and then switch to interviewing a subset of the pool: usually about 20%.  We do behavioral interviews and there is a guide should one be invited for an interview.
ro_sarto: What type of financial aid is available for applicants, aside from the regular governmental help?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MRicardc:  I wouldn't count on BEP coming back.
LLuoe61087: Thanks Harriet
SChahanapally546f06: Are GRE Scores considered for admission into MIT?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Ro Sarto:  We have loans (very favorable to international students because no US co-signer necessary), some scholarships, and also teaching and research assistantships.
vipe10619: Thank you Harriet!
ro_sarto: Thank you, Harriet!
SLee4e393b: Thank you for the information about interview! I`m R2 applicant, so I wanted to ask about it
vipa74c94: thank you for the information about interview!
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MTurnera:  About a third of our MBA students hold TA and RA ships.  It's a competitive process.  One applies when gets a notice if one has expertise that the professor is loooking for.  In the case of TAships, the professor often wants the student to have taken the course and gotten an "A".  You can't hold assistantships in the core semester.
ROlowonirejuaro31282e: Hi Harriet, Could you request a GMAT fee waiver on my behalf?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Schahnapally:  Absolutely, you may apply with GRE scores in lieu of the GMAT.  We have no preference.
vip6b88f3: Are all the interview invites for R2 sent out at the same time?
RReiddaebd8: Harriet, I understand that work experience "is not required" for admittance. How strongly is work experience considered in the application review process?
SChahanapally546f06: Thank you Sir!
ro_sarto: Is there a cut-off age for students? Are "older" applicants accepted (late 30's - early 40's)?
vipe0ce42: Dear Harriet, I notice that there are competitive GMAT scores posted on your website but there are none for the new GRE format...can you please post some numbers because I took my GRE recently and I want to know that the scores are competitive
maomarvin: Hi Harriet! In a previous chat a moderator mentioned that a transcript of the chat would be made available, but I wasn't able to find out where I can acquire the transcript from. Was the moderator referring to this link?  http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/faq/transcripts.php
Harriet (Admissions): Hi RReiddae:  A small subset of our students come right from their undergraduate schools.
RLee698f49: How small is that subset and what do these students usually do to make themselves stand out amongst applicants who do have work experience?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Maomarvin:  Hmm,  it's on the website with the FAQ, yes.
Harriet (Admissions): It could be that with the busy admission season, nobody has had time to go through the chat transcripts yet.
maomarvin: Thank you!
QWangc590c0: Hi Harriet, as you mentioned above that 20% are selected to get interview invitation, so that the admitted rate of interviewees are really high, considering the overall admit rate is around 13%, right?
vipe10619: Let me ask differently - does work in pharmaceutical can be considered as quantitative work experience? Thank you in advance.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi again Vipe:  Yes, that's true about no data on GRE because in the past very few applicants chose to submit GRE scores.  I think that may be different this year and perhaps there will be range, average, etc.
SChahanapally546f06: Do you offer part time MBA for working professionals?
maomarvin: Also, I'm piggybacking on a previous question about the survey that was sent out on naming the new track. Will that track be made available to students entering in the fall of 2012?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipe:  I don't see why working for a pharmaceutical wouldn't count as work experience.
RYadave16392: I have heard that Sloan has a higher number engineering grads than other top B schools. What is the percentage ?If its higher ,is there any specific reason to admit more engineering grads.
vipa74c94: I'm an international. And for TOFEL test, I got PBT score. Do you have any preference between IBT and PBT? if you have, what do I have to explain?
Harriet (Admissions): SChahanapplaly:  No, our traditional program is full-time and four consecutive semesters.  There is a new part-time executive MBA Program.
SChahanapally546f06: thank you.
ROlowonirejuaro31282e: Hi Harriet, Could you request a GMAT fee waiver on my behalf?
NSardesaia1e206: Good morning Harriet, I applied to the LGO program but haven't heard anything yet. Could you kindly give some kind of update on the timeline for the admission process? Are interviews invitations still coming out?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi RYadave:  It's on the website under Extended Class Profile, but my guess is that currently we have about 1/3 of the class coming from engineering backgrounds.  I guess engineers feel a comfortable fit with our rigorously analytical program.
CFeasby96b35f: Kristen, how well (or ill) equipped are the Sloan career councillors to help a graduating student find work in Canada? Does an international student face any sort of disadvantage if looking to work outside of the U.S.?
vipff7001: Hello Harriet, I a applied to the full time program second round, I would like to know when is the deadline for receiving an invitation to an interview and if interviews will be held in Mexico City. Thank You
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipa:  We don't require the TOEFL for the MBA since we interview everyone we plan to offer admission to.  You are welcome to submit your TOEFL, however.
vatoya: Hi again Harriet, since the GMAT is incorporating some changes in June, I think, do you happen to know how will the MIT take into account those modifications?
vipf08425:

Hello - Can you talk a little bit about international experiences in the Sloan program that offer experiential learning opportunities?
RMa8d03a9: Does the selection committee look for slightly different things in a younger applicant vs. an older one?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipff:  We are definitely coming to Mexico City to do interviews.  I think invitations will go out in about a week or so.
OTChat:  Hi Harriet, Is the interview process blind? should we provide different examples than the ones in our application for the behavioral questions ?
vipa74c94: thank you Harriet.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi OTChat:  The interviewer will have access to your application so my advice is to use examples that are not on the application.
MRicardc914c9: Hi Harriet, I read that the Silicon Valley Study Tour will begin with the MBA entering class of 2013.  However, is there anything comparable offered currently?  What about internships?
BOkon7bf9aa: I am very interested in Sloan; however, one of my main concerns is that I do not come from an engineering or highly technical background (though I would be interested in gaining more experience in that realm).  Are applicants from a non-technical background disadvantaged at Sloan, both in terms of admissions and academic success?  Thank you for your thoughts.
vip033d08: Good Morning Harriet, do you give more weight to GPA or GMAT? Can a good GPA overcome a mid 600's GMAT?
XZhangbed227: hi, harriet, i applied for fall 2012 on R2, I am wondering whether the interview invitations are sending out now and what is the deadline of the invitations?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi BOkon:  Not at all.  We aim for a diverse class and don't care what people have majored in as long as you have calculus and microeconomics under your belt before matriculation.
vip8acc05: Hi Harriet, which city will interviewer visit in China?
NKhemais24b680: Hi Harriet, are you planning to come to Middle East/North Africa for interviews?
MTurnera858f7: Harriet - Does Sloan provide any assistance (office space, technology, etc...) to students who pursue a start-up while still in school?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  We can be flexible.  I'd suggest using the supplemental essay to explain the situation and ask us to place more emphasis on something else in the application (e.f. good grades).
SRoshane1001d: Hi Harriet, My undergrad in pharmacy/biotechnology involved minimal quant courses -- I would like to know if my work experience in biotech database implementation and informatics qualifies as quant experience? Thank you in advance for your feedback.
vipf08425:

Can students who did not take calculus in college still receive offers of admission? Would they receive a conditional acceptance that would require them to take a course, or how would that work?
Thank you!
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MTurnera:  The Entrepreneurship Center (recently renamed the Trust Center) gives a lot of help in this regard.  About 35 to 40 students started companies while here form the class that just graduated.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  Exactly.  A conditional acceptance and you have to prove that you took the courses anywhere locally (summer school, community college, etc.)
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SRoshane:  You can certainly make a case for yourself in that regard.
SRoshane1001d: Perfect! Thanks again!
raguirre:  On the topic of start-ups, does the Turner Trust give legal counseling to enable International Students to start companies while still in school with student visas?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi NKehmais:  We usually do Skype or telephone interviews to candidates in Africa.  I don't know about the Middle East.  Stay tuned.
RYadave16392: Is there any good example in which SLOAN has done a social impact through innovations in developing country.( I want more information of innovative projects going on in developing economies). A web link may serve the purpose.
LLuoe61087: Hi Harriet, as my background is engineering, I didnot take microeconimics class before but I have learned it by passing CFA Level I exam. May I ask if i didnot take the course, will that hurt my application? thanks
vip033d08: Hello Harriet, in what hub south american cities are you conducting interviews for r2 applicants?
XJin98609e: Hello Harriet, do you have the list of international hub cities where R2 interviews will be conducted?
vip98a4c5:  

Hi my GMAT score is weak. However, my experience proves I’m strong in this aspect. Do you recommend any additional courses to take in order to prove to the adcom I’m strong in this aspect? Thanks

HLuo845d73: Hey Harriet,  I heard that Sloan is also very strong in Finance besides engineering, could you give some idea on this and what's the difference when compared to traditional financial school?
vipf718db: Good morning Harriet. If someone is sent a request for an interview but is currently working in a country where you do not send admission staff to interview (Angola), ideally when should the person applying arrange to be in Cambridge for an interview? I assume the sooner the applicant makes it to Cambridge the better it is for the admissions team correct? Second question, does anyone from the admissions team go to South Africa for interviews?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi LLuoe:  No problem.  Look into where you can take micro in your area and you can even refer to that when applying.
OTChat: What do you mean by having microeconomics and calculus under the belt? I didn't put that I had a microeconomics course in the application as I didn't have one per se, but I have had the basics through several other courses. Could that be a deal breaker when reviewing my application?
SGithuku4c71b8:  Hi Harriet, for those that studied in the UK where typical GPA-equivalents are typically lower, would a 2:1 be viewed as too low for such a program? i.e. 60-70% overall averages in an engineering course?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  We haven't gone to South Africa in the past.  That could change of course.  We wouldn't require you to come to Cambridge.  We could do Skype or phone.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SGithuku:  There's no cut-off about grades to apply.  We're well familiar with the UK.
vipf718db: Great. Thanks.
SMichasb4760e: Hi Harriet, with regards to scholarships, are you referring to those available at the time of submitting the online application? I am a Round2 applicant and wondering whether I should be aware of any other MIT scholarship opportunities available to us to apply until matriculation?
LLuoe61087: Thanks Harriet, as I am a R2 applicant and have submitted my application. Should I email you to refer to that?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi OTChat:  We have two firm prerequisites that we want all our students to have taken before they matriculate as MBA students at MIT Sloan:  basic introductory calculus and microeconomics.  It's a question on the application.
samuel.zhangwei: Hi Harriet, I'm a software designer from a High-Tech company in China, and plan to take the MBA program in one or two years.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SMichasb:  We have some check-off boxes for the few scholarships but it doesn't affect the admissions decision.
AChernov149f93: Hi. When is the last date to expect the invitation for interview?
vip033d08: Hello Harriet, in which south american cities are you conducting interviews for r2 applicants?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi AChernov:  We reserve the right to keep conducting interviews right up until the end of the admission cycle.
vip98a4c5:

Hi Harriet, my GMAT score is weak. However, my experience proves I’m strong in this aspect. Do you recommend any additional courses to take in order to prove to the adcom I’m strong in this aspect? Thanks
sopittenger@gmail.com: Harriet, is it possible to receive admission based on completion of summer credits in calculus or microeconomics?
sopittenger@gmail.com: To piggy-pack on that, if we completed calculus in high school and intro to econ in college, is that sufficient?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  I haven't heard the final list of South Americans but I think you can imagine that it's the big capital cities.
XMiaob5c108: Hi Harriet, thank you very much for your time today. I'm actually interested in the Finance program but wouldn't be able to attend the online chatting tomorrow. Is there anyway to network with the faculties or the current students except for this online chat?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Sopittenger:  Do you mean you got AP credit; it so that's fine.
SGithuku4c71b8: Wonderful. Are there any countries outside of South Africa where face-to-face interviews can be conducted? Especially Kenya in this instance.
sopittenger@gmail.com: I did, but am not confident that came across in my application.  
vipf08425:

How strong are Sloan's career relationships in the management consulting field? Similarly, how many of the students placed in consulting internships receive full time offers at the close of the internship?
sopittenger@gmail.com: Would I need to send an email, write an essay or send my high school transcript?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi XMiaob:  Well I know we'll be having other MFin chats in a month or so,  Check the website.
SGrunt66fc7b: Hello Harriet, thanks for taking time to chat with us. I have two quick questions, regarding applying for fall 2013 do you have an idea when the application / essays will be available? Second when reporting your GPA, if I attended two undergraduate programs (I transferred schools) should I report the GPA from my graduating institution or average the two? Thanks.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Sopittenger:  Definitely do not send a high school transcript.  
vip2bf59d: Would you recommend us to visit campus before or after the interview?
CFeasby96b35f: Harriet, how well (or ill) equipped are the Sloan career councillors to help a graduating student find work in Canada? Does an international student face any sort of disadvantage if looking to work outside of the U.S.?
vipa74c94: I didn't take the course of microeconomics and I didn't explain the situation in the application. Can I have the chance to explain it in the interview?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SGrunt:  You are an eager *****!  We will change the essay(s) this summer and have the new application online by about August 1st (latest).
Harriet (Admissions): And we only want uploaded transcripts from schools you received degrees from.  I assume the transfer credit appears on your UG transcript, right?  You should be fine.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipa:  Sure.
CFeasby96b35f: I know that Calculus is a required course for admission into the program. Does the mark you received in that specific Calc. course affect your application/acceptance, or is it simply a requirement that you took and p
vip033d08: Hello Harriet, I have already applied in R2 and I didn't submit TOEFL at the time. But If I have my scores now, should I update my profile or send it by email? or is not necessary?
OTChat: About the microeconomics requirement? is it considered in the assessment of the candidacy? Should I send a follow up explanation by email ?
CFeasby96b35f: *passed the course?
Harriet (Admissions): To everyone concerned about the calculus/econ  requirement:  It's meant to be for your own good because you don't want to enter the program at a deficit in knowledge that core professors expect you to have.
SPONNALURIb11a20: Hi Harriet. My name is Pramod. Two quick queries from my side: 1) Do the members of the Investment Management Club get to manage an actual fund? and 2) How active is Toastmasters at MIT?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  You are welcome to submit the TOEFL and we can put it in your file at any time.
sopittenger@gmail.com: Thank you for all the details, Harriet!
vipa58e18: Hi Harriet, does adcom consider a relatively low verbal score from international applicants not a very weak point if the quant score is very high considering that english is not the native language of the applicant
SNakshatralafb3e01: Hi Harriet, I have submitted my application for R2. Can you tell us when the interview invitations, for those based in India, are going to be sent out?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Sponnalurib:  I suggest writing to the presidents of the clubs you are interested in.  There are generic email addresses on the website: student club page.
vipf718db:  Hi Harriet. Sorry to revisit the subject but I took 6 Economics courses in undergraduate, a Quant Methods w/ Calculus, and AP Calculus in high-school; clearly from what you are saying I have the requirements but I unfortunately did not understand the question properly and did not put my GPA for those classes as it seemed more specific on the application. Is there any way I could address that now that the application has been submitted, would the admissions team see the classes on the transcript, or is it t
Harriet (Admissions): Hi everyone interested in interview invitations for r2:  My guess is that the first invitations will be going out in about a week from now.
maomarvin: I did not have any free vacation days last year to use on a campus visit. Would you recommend that I try to visit campus now before interview requests are sent out?
XMiaob5c108: Thank you Harriet. My other question is how will Sloan treat entrepreneurial experience vs. experience of working in a big corporation in terms of the admission process?
HBhathenaaec7c8: Hi Harriet, I'm a final year student studying electronics engineering in India. I want to apply to SLOAN some time in the future for MBA(mostly in finance). My question is would an MS(in ECE) degree from a good university in USA plus few years of work exp improve my chances of admission or is an undergrad + work exp good enough for having a decent chance at admission.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  Don't worry.  Readers will study your transcript and note that you have plenty beyond the basic level we require.
vip98a4c5:

Hi if an applicant has both GPA and GMAT low but very strong work experience. What he should now to alleviate his candidacy? Additional courses, others? Thanks
vipf718db: Great. Thank you.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi HBhathenaaec:  I really can't assess chances of admission with such limited information.
ro_sarto: Hi Harriet, is there a cut-off age for students of the MBA program? Are older students accepted ?
Harriet (Admissions): HI XMiaob:  There are many roads to the MBA in terms of work experience.  I've seen plenty of applications from entrepreneurial ventures.
vipe10619: Hello Harriet, I am a Biochemist and know that the admission committee is very involved in reading the essays to try to gauge a candidate's fit for the program-can you please share some of your experiences regarding what the committee is looking for? Thank you in advance.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Ro Sarto:  We welcome applications from everyone.  
ryandoon: I am a little lost...how are applications being submitted now??? aren't all applications now past the deadline?
vipa7747b: Hi Harriett, in the interview, will the applicant get a chance to ask questions of the interviewer? In general is it a two-way conversation or one-way?
ro_sarto: Thank you, Harriet.
MTurnera858f7: Harriet - Does more than one person read an application?
vipff7001:

Hello Harriet if interview invitations will be going out from next week, what would be the Limit to receive an invitation. Is the 02/06/2012 decesions deldline the very last day an invitation can go out ?. I cant picture the committee waiting until the end to invite a candidate.
XMiaob5c108: Thanks!
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Ryandoon:  Yes, it is too late to apply for an MBA 2012 entry.  
ryandoon: Hello Harriet- when do the next admission rounds open?
Harriet (Admissions): To everyone interested in interviews: My guess is that we will start sending invitations for interviews in about a week, but we reserve the right to keep sending them through the entire cyle.
SNakshatralafb3e01: Hi Harriet, Is there any order in which interview invitations are sent? Say, location or submission date based?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Ryandoon:  We don't admit people in mid-year, so the next entry date to apply for is fall 2013.
vipff7001: Thank you Harriet for the interview concerns answers
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MTurner:  Yes:  an admission reader (from our AdCom of about 25 people), the Admissions Director and the interviewer all read the application.
vipa7747b: Hi Harriett, in the interview, will the applicant get a chance to ask questions of the interviewer? In general is it a two-way conversation or one-way?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipa:  Our interviews last about 45 minutes and mostly it's the interviewer asking more and more questions and probes.  But they always save time at the end for the interviewee to ask some questions so have some ready!
vipa7747b: Thanks!
HBhathenaaec7c8: Hi, this is my profile currently :My gpa is 8.5/10(VJTI, Mumbai), ive given gre :1470 AWA: 4.5; TOEFL: 115, good extra  curriculars, 2 internships, one in citibank. Ive got a placement offer via campus placements as an IT Consultant in a good consulting Co.(Ernst and Young). Hope this can help u in answering my previous querry. Thanks.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi HBhathenaaec:  What is your specific question?  lease know that we don't provide a service where we prescreen and then encourage or discourage a prospective applicant from applying.
XMiaob5c108: Harriet, If I apply this year and don't get accepted, will this affect next year's application?
HBhathenaaec7c8: ok, thanks allot anyway.
LLuoe61087: Hi Harriet, may I ask whether most of the R2 interview invitations will be sent out at the same time?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi XMiaob:  I have seen many situations where someone was denied admission in one year and then reapplied the next year and was admitted.
XMiaob5c108: Thanks!
vipa7747b: Harriett, another interview-related question: Does the interviewer have  "script" ready of specific questions to ask after reviewing an application? If so, in your experience have you mostly just gone down a list of questions or do you ask more clarifying & probing questions based on the applicants responses which can take the discussion in several different directions?
maomarvin: Hi Harriet, is the interview tied with other tour events (i.e. sit in on a class, student faq, etc)?
NKhemais24b680: Hi Harriet, wanted to know how differently the Linkedin profile link is viewed from the Resume?
Harriet (Admissions): HI LLuoe:  No, it's staggered based on where our interviewers are going and when.  So if Tel Aviv is coming up soon, all those invitations will go out first before, say, Mexico City.
LLuoe61087: Thanks Harriet!
MTurnera858f7: Harriet - Does the school have any recurring partnerships or joint development programs with major American companies?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vipa:  There's certainly no script for interviews and interviewers have tons of prompts that they might start the interview off with.  In a behavioral interview, one talks about one situation for a long time.
GYigitkurt00e10a:  Hello Harriet: Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. May you tell me what percentage of applicants are typically invited to interview who do not have a competitive GMAT?
SLee4e393b: Do you consider applicants` industry when you give admission?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MTurner:  I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  The LGO program (joint between our school and the school of engineering at MIT) have partner companies such as Boeing.
SMichasb4760e:

Hi Harriet,
SLee4e393b: Thank you in advance Harriet
Harriet (Admissions): Hi GYigikurt:  I have no specific information to answer your question but can say that are flexible about test scores and there is no cut-off.
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SLee:  You are most welcome in advance.
SBhalla1e007e:  hi, i dont know whether my question has reached you, hence I am typing it again...what is the chance of making a career shift from training to Strategy by doing a full time MBA from MIT SLoan?
SWalters4b6e7d: Good Morning Harriet.  I understand interview notifications will go out before you send someone out to a particular area.  How much advanced notice the prospective students receive?  My job often requires travel, and while I can control my schedule some, the greater the advanced notice, the easier it is to adjust.  If I miss an interview in my area, can I travel to another?
GYigitkurt00e10a: Thank you for the response, Harriet.
SBhalla1e007e: Do you need a pre-requisite of consulting / strategy background, before accepting someone whose aim is to specialize in the field?
WPeng917469: Hi Harriet: I know your admitted rate for reapplicants is higher than general intake, and I am just curious what percentage of the general application pool are from reapplicants?  Thanks in advance.
SMichasb4760e: Hi Harriet, assuming someone undertakes teaching and/or research assistantships for all 3 semesters (apart form the core), then what portion (%) of the tuition fees c
ould that cover?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SWlaters:  We try to give 1-2 weeks but that doesn't always work out.   But know that we always have interviewers on campus throughout the cylce.
Harriet (Admissions): cycle
vip98a4c5:

Hi if an applicant has both GPA and GMAT low but very strong work experience. What he should now to alleviate his candidacy? Additional courses, others? Thanks
SWalters4b6e7d: thank you
Harriet (Admissions): Hi, SMICHAS:  I've actually not heard of someone TAing for three semesters, but hypothetically if one TAed for, say, a core class, it could cover a large percentage (perhaps half of one's tuition).
samuel.zhangwei:

Hi Harriet, I'm an egineer, but also taking project management(PMP) and finance&accounting (ACCA) to be more prefessional and get work success. What's more, I'm planning to transfer to work in markting/sales oversea for 1 year, then apply Sloan MBA to be the most well-rounded leader that I can be. However this will take 1 year more. What's the thing do you refer most, ranging from GMAT score to GPA to work success to background to leadership attributes?  Another question, is there any face-to-face interview in Hongkong, could applicant choose the way how he be interviewed? For example, I live in Shenzhen, a city close to Hongkong, could I choose face-to-face interview in Hongkong, or only participate interview via phone?
SLee4e393b: Hi Harrier! Do you consider applicants` industry when you give admission?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi SBhalla:  Not at all.  About 80% of our students come in order to change careers.
SMichasb4760e: Thanks a lot for the info, Harriet!
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  I would suggest using the supplemental, optional essay in your case.
vipf08425:

Does Sloan have study abroad opportunities? If so, how many students take advantage of them?
SBhalla1e007e: That's great! What would you say are the chances of an applicant with a 15 year work ex, now planning on completing an MBA at MIT Sloan
?
MTurnera858f7: Harriet - Do you have a rough percentage of MBA students who stay after graduation or eventually come back and pursue a business-related Phd?
Harriet (Admissions): Hi Vip:  We have a semester abroad option with three schools in Europe but only a handful of students (maybe 10 - 12 a year) take advantage of this.  Most students feel there is so much to choose from on campus (with 150 plus electives) that they don't want to leave.
vipe10619: Thank you Harriet for the useful info and your time! with Gratitude!!
Harriet (Admissions): Hi MTurnera:  Very few.  If your goal is to have a career in teaching/research, you can apply directly to our PhD program.
vip98a4c5: Hi what is considered as a Red Flags through interview?
Harriet (Admissions): We're going to end in a couple of minutes so if you have any more questions, now is the time.
SBhalla1e007e: what are the chances of career management services helping out someone who wants to come back to their home country, within the same country, after specializing in Strategy?
SBhalla1e007e: please consider that as
within the same industry actually...
BMartinaf524c:

Harriet - Having visited MIT and talked with several Sloan graduates and current students I know Sloan is the right place for me and I hope the admissions committee believes, as I believe, that I can make a significant contribution to the learning environment at Sloan.  Can you offer some advice as to how to convey you believe Sloan is your number one choice and you definitely have something to offer the class during the interview?
ash1982: Hi Harriet, I have submitted my application in round 2, can i send in additional information which goes under the optional information section, for e.g. how the grading worked in my university, or how calculus was covered in my curriculum if it was not called the same
SDe2dd33e:  Could you tell us more about internships in developing markets? And is there a growing trend among students to opt for such interships?
MSale3adebd:  Hi Harriet, I'm Mahesh from India. Are there any courses/clubs on Family Business at MIT
MTurnera858f7: Thanks for all the answers Harriet.
Harriet (Admissions): I'm afraid that we have to sign off now but if you didn't get your question answered and want to pursue things, feel free to write to adcom@sloan.mit.edu.  I enjoyed talking with you all today and wish you a good day (or evening).

Room 2:
Kristen (Admissions): BGupta, we have not finalized our travel dates or locations yet. They change from round to round, year to year.
jermainck: adriankao: From a visiting student point of view, I highly recommend you to visit the campus again. It´s not the architecture only that seems to foster a new entrepreneurship spirit on campus, ranging from the Sloan School to the Media Lab + MIT Innovation Center.
CHeinerfc575e:

Do interviewers read our entire application prior to interviewing candidates?
JMccall0fdc7c:  Hi Kristen.  I was hoping you could speak a bit about what the adcom looks for when considering candidates with 10 years of experience vs. the average 5.  Thanks in advance.
Kristen (Admissions): BGerson, MIT Sloan dos not have a round II of applications.
CUy84456a:  echoing BGerson's question, how much of a weight do you place on GPA? Will having a less than optimal GPA make it difficult to enter?
Kristen (Admissions): CU,y, no one aspect of the application is more important than the rest.
CYen-fu8bfc06: Thanks Kristen for answering
EKinseyc9ac2d: Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
CUy84456a: You mentioned travelling to ASia. Does this mean interviews are conducted face to face with adcom?
EKinseyc9ac2d: Is there a way to get an MBA with a concentration in Finance, and if there is, how would this be different from the Masters in Finance Program.  Thank you.
BGuptada30d3: Regarding the GPA.. I did my graduation from Delhi University and we didn't have any relative grading.. our score were based on a scale of 100. How do you calculate the GPA from that ?
FKesler8e02ef:

If a student is accepted into Sloan, how long do they have before they are expected to commit to attending?
adriankao: @jermainck, tks for your opinion.
Kristen (Admissions): adriankao, we will be offering new electives as a part of the first semester core next year: strategy and operations management. Students must choose 1 elective int he first semester and previously had he options of finance and marketing only. I always recommend another visit, another chance to meet current students and get a sense of whether or not the school and environment is a good fit for you.
MSabasdbeae2: Hi, my question is what kind of profile will be conducting the interviews: adcom or current alumnus/alumni?
adriankao: Thank you, Kristen.
JLi5f570b: Hi Kristen, good morning! I applied the LGO but haven't heard anything yet. Could you please kindly give some update on the LGO adm process? Are there still interview invitations coming out, or receiving no invitation by now was a sign of 'no'?
OGomonova045b15:  Hello, when will round two applicants start receiving their interview invites? Thank you!
CMa34f3de: Kristen, shall we send in updates about what happened after the submission?If yes, what sort of change is 'big enough' to send in?
Kristen (Admissions): MSaba, all our interviews are conducted by members of the Admissions Committee. Alumni, faculty, and current students are not involved int he process.
beleity707: Kristen , What is the criteria you're looking for , My GPA is 2.8 would I still be able to apply ?
MSabasdbeae2: Thanks Kristen!
Kristen (Admissions): CMa, yes you may certainly update us  on changes in your work situation, professional accolades, test scores, etc. by emailing adcom@sloan.mit.edu.
DSingh6a224d: Hi Kristen how important a consideration social work (non profit) is for the application ? What aspects you may look if that is not present in the prospective student's profile ?
JYao189868: hi, Kristen, do you have a certain quota for MBA candidates in different countries?
ACherdchaithamrong64b27d:  Hi Kristen. Does Sloan conduct telephone interview for applicants who live outside the US?
CMego_Canta512976:

Hi Kristen, my husband and I are looking to apply for an MBA around Fall 2012. We are both from Peru and have a financial background. As we are expecting a baby to be born on April 2012, we would only go to a business school that admit us both in the same program. Do we have to submit a separate application form or is there any procedures for couples? What are the facilities that the campus has for small children?
JWilliamsde9825: Hi Kristin, thank you for your time today. Are there any general trends or differences in the applicant pool this year that differentiate it from past years?
Kristen (Admissions): JLi, LGO interviews have begun and invites will continue to go out up until the decision release date.
VHona40ae5: Hi Kristen, for an applicant with a weaker GPA, do you have any suggestions on ways to strengthen the application? For example, taking specific classes to demonstrate academic ability?
CMa34f3de: Kristen, can you please comment on the applicant pool size this year compare with that of last year?
CXu8c9219:  Hello, Boston seems to be increasingly the #1 "incubator" for the commercialization of cutting-edge life sciences and biotechnology. What are the things Sloan is doing take advantage of that and the rich entrepreneurship traditions? Can you also please point me to some information or someone to talk to regarding this?
EChinbcbb09: Hi Kristen, if we are invited to interview and wish to have our interview in Boston, typically how much advanced notice would we receive?
jermainck: @Kristen how far does the admissions team turn experience, social engagement, esprit engagé etc into a score like GMAT? Is there a method of quantification?
Kristen (Admissions): CMego, you would each need to submit a separate application but there is an area on the application to note if your spouse, significant other is also applying.
JLi5f570b: Thank you Kristen!
CFeasby96b35f: Kristen, how well (or ill) equipped are the Sloan career councillors to help a graduating student find work in Canada? Does an international student face any sort of disadvantage if looking to work outside of the U.S.?
DInigobecf02:

Kristen, are changes in salary something that needs to be updated on our profile.. or is it irrelevant at this point of the admission process?
Kristen (Admissions): EChin, we aim to give 1-2 weeks of advance notice for interviews.
BMa9efe64: May I ask the average financial aid for the MBA student ?
atedesco: Hi Kristen - I have taken the GMAT twice. How will the scores be treated upon application? Specifically, will they be averaged, will you only look at the first, well you treat them equally, etc?
FKesler8e02ef:

After an applicant is accepted, how long do they have before they are expected to commit to attending?
vip2bf59d: Dear Kristen, there have been a number of articles saying a significant increase in international applicants this year.  did you feel this increase during preliminary screening process?  will it make harder to receive an invitation this year?
Kristen (Admissions): VHona, there are ways to overcome a weaker GPA, through strong recommendations, compelling essays examples, strong test scores, etc. Certainly anything that shows your seriousness for the program and dedication to improving is helpful.
Kristen (Admissions): atedesco, we will look at your highest score.
SBoussely102a3b: Hi Kirsten, I was recently proposed to answer a MIT Sloan survey about names regarding the new focused tracks. How will the new focuses tracks impact the current curriculum?
VHona40ae5: Thanks a lot Kristen!
CMego_Canta512976: thanks
ANg216a80:  Hi Kristen, I was wondering whether round 2 applicants are at a disadvantage for fellowship or financial aid consideration when compared to round 1 applicants?  Thanks so much for your help!
CReines_Gonzalez195c76: Kristen, upon admission to the MBA would you advice any sort of preparation course for a person who has an Engineering background or there is no such need?
Kristen (Admissions): FKesler, Round II decisions are released on April 2nd and admitted candidates must inform us of their decision and make their deposit by May 25th.
CSalazarf7b195: Hi Kristen, regarding the focus tracks, how long have they have been part of the Sloan curriculum?
FKesler8e02ef: Thank you
FJavazif43b2d: Hi Kirsten - thank you for your kind advice. I am considering quitting my job and work with a friend on a social enterpreneurship project in Kyrgyzstan until the MBA, but I worry that it may be a negative to have no "proper" job when I go for the interview. What would you counsel?
XMiaob5c108: Hi Kristen, thank you for your time today! I'm actually interested in the finance program but i wouldn't' be able to attend the chat online tomorrow
Kristen (Admissions): CReines, admitted candidats are given an opportunity to take review/prep course prior to orientation in August. If the Admissions Committee feels you need to attain some additional background in a certain area, such as microeconomics, they will make your admission to the program conditional upon you taking a course over the summer.
JWilliamsde9825: Hi Kristen, do you ever admit students who have not taken microeconomics?
Kristen (Admissions): JWilliams, please see above. We do, but sometimes require them to take the course over the summer as a part of a conditional admission offer.
CReines_Gonzalez195c76: Thank you.
ash1982: Hi Kristen...i have applied in round 2...what kind of updates in my profile would the admissions committee be interested in hearing about?
BMa9efe64: Hi Kristen, Could you speak to the differences between Sloan and other MBA programs in terms of recruitment ?
OGomonova045b15: Kristen, when will round 2 applicants start receiving interview invitations?
Kristen (Admissions): ANg, Round II candidates are not at a disadvantage. We award scholarships starting in late February and do so throughout the spring. Scholarships and fellowships are set aside for Round II candidates.
ARizo83e19c:  Kristen, what is a question you would have liked us to have asked you? Any important information we need to know...?
XMiaob5c108: Is there anyway to network with the faculties or the current students except for this online chat?
CHeinerfc575e:

Kristen,
Do the individuals doing interviews read our application prior to interviewing or is it a blind interview?
CYen-fu8bfc06: One last question Kristen, does MIT have any study abroad programs?
adriankao: Kristen, I applied to a couple of programs (not MIT Sloan) in the past, but was not offered admission despite receiving feedback that my qualifications and credentials are excellent.  I believe that being 31 yrs old and coming from an entrepreneurial background (2nd generation family business) worked against me.  I'm curious to know if MIT Sloan's AdCom is looking for students with my profile; what are my chances as an older applicant?  Would you suggest I focus on the E-MBA?  Can I apply to both the Full-Time MBA and the E-MBA in the same application year?
CMa34f3de: Kristen, is the percentage for R2 applicants who will be invited to interview still around 20%?
Kristen (Admissions): BMa, I'm not really qualified to speak about other programs, but would happy to answer any MIT Sloan-specific questions.
AChernov149f93:  Hi. When is the last date to expect the invitation for interview?
BMa9efe64: Thanks Kristen. I am curious about the amount of financial support provided by Sloan. thanks.
BGuptada30d3: Kirsten u mentioned that students need to undergo Summer program before august. I will be giving Economics and Financial reporting papers in Actuarial society of UK, will that make a difference on the pre-requisite courses ?
Kristen (Admissions): CYen, we offer many opportunities for traveling abroad. Many lab classes (such as G-Lab, or global entrepreneurship lab) involve trips to other countries to work with companies and consult on real-life projects and problems. Additionally, students plan treks, which are excursions to other states and countries to learn about business opportunities (such as the Warren Buffet Trek, Entertainment and Media Trek, Luxury Good Trek to Hong Kong and Shanghai, Silicon Valley Trek). Some of hese trips are funded as a part of your tuition while others require you to pay out of pocket.
Kristen (Admissions): CFeasby, we have an alumni network that extends across the country and throughout the world to assist students. The Career Development Office is well versed in the multitude of opportunities here and abroad and can guide you.
vip98a4c5:

Hi Kristen
, my GMAT score is weak. However, my experience proves I’m strong in this aspect. Do you recommend any additional courses to take in order to prove to the adcom I’m strong in this aspect? Thanks
CFeasby96b35f: Thank you Kristen
Kristen (Admissions): BGupta, not all students require conditional courses. We will review your transcripts, past work experience, etc. to determine if this is necessary.
BGuptada30d3: ok thanks
avivshl: Hi Kristen, thank you for taking the time to talk with us. I was wondering about the financial aid that is offered to MBA applicants? Is there any at all? Thank you.
BMa9efe64: Does the recommendation letters have to be academic ones ?
Kristen (Admissions): vip, GMAT is only one part of our application and no one aspect is more important to us than another. I will tell you that for the class of 2012, the range for the middle 80% of the class was 660-750. 10% scored below, 10% scored above.
JMccall0fdc7c: Hi Kristen.  I was hoping you could speak a bit about what the adcom looks for when considering candidates with 10 years of experience vs. the average 5.  Also, I was curious about how students are selected for electives like "innovation teams" which requires professor approval.  Are students denied access to those courses or is the approval just to match students with the best-fit project? Thanks in advance.
brauliriver13:  Hi Kristen, what is the admission committees' stand on post-bacc courses to improve undergrad GPA, or a post-bacc class taken for personal interest?  I am currently retaking Calc and taking French for fun.  I appreciate any insight.
Kristen (Admissions): aviv, MIT Sloan awards scholarships and fellowships to some admitted students. TA and RAships are also available to you after your first semester.
FJavazif43b2d: Hi Kirsten - thank you for your kind advice. I am considering quitting my job managing a team at a large global investment bank and work with a friend on a social enterpreneurship project in Kyrgyzstan until starting the MBA. Though it is very interesting (to me at least) I worry that it may be a negative to have no "proper" job when I go for the interview. What would you counsel?
CFeasby96b35f: I know that Calculus is a required course for admission into the program. Does the mark you received in that specific Calc. course affect your application/acceptance, or is it simply a requirement that you took and passed the course?
avivshl: Thank you Kristen
BGerson5bb35a: Kristen, while I realize you aren't going to give us specific guidelines or formulas for admission consideration, it would be helpful to know whether or not someone with a lopsided high GMAT and low GPA would be seriously considered.  Are there certain GPA levels below which an application would be foolhardy, regardless of one's other attributes?
Kristen (Admissions): FJavaz, while I cannot counsel you ont his decision, I can say we do see many applicants who leave a job to start their own venture. It is important to us to see that if you have a gap in employment, you are doing something else with your time.
Kristen (Admissions): BGerson, every application we receive is read, and a low GPA can be compensated with strengths in other areas.
GYokaichiya4dd74d:

Kristen: Does MIT Sloan offer any help to having access to loans in the USA?
BGerson5bb35a: Thank you Kristen.
FJavazif43b2d: Thank you Kristen!
MBoded125c4:  Kristen - I am a round II candidate that has not had the opportunity to participate in an on-campus visit with the ambassadors program due to work. Is a similar half-day session an automatic part of the interview process if you are extended an invitation? Thanks for your assistance!
ryandoon:  hi there when does the application process open up again this year?
ryandoon: will it be october 2012?
beleity707: Kristen - Is there a certain age limit for the applicants?
HWang0d92e4: Hi Kristen, I have scrolled your answer above and just would like to make a confirmation here: The interview invitation has not yet sent out to Round II applicants, hasn't it? If so, when will be the possible time to know whether or not an applicant is accepted in interview pool? My name is Crane and I have submitted my application for MBA full time this year, 2012. thanks for your time and feedback!
EChinbcbb09: Kristen, are you able to give us some insight as to what happens to a file once it is submitted?  How many people score each application, and are all decisions made by committee, or is your point total the sole factor in determining admission/interview invitation?
Kristen (Admissions): MBoded, when we conduct interviews on-campus we also offer a mid-day lunch with current students so you have some time to chat about the school.
BWang68dc7a: Hi,Kristen. When will the candidates expect to hear about the discion for Round 2? And during the process, there is no need to mail the hardcopy of official score to Sloan? Just uploading the scanned form of offical score is ok?
JYao189868: Thank you for your time Kristen. Does Sloan has a preference for young applicants? Does Sloan accept applicant older than 32 ? Thank you!
KThiyagarajan:  Hi Kristen,
KThiyagarajan: I've heard of a case where a student applied for a full time MBA program and though he didn't get an invite to the Sloan full time MBA, he was offered an invite to the LGO Program. Does this happen or is this a special case - can you please elaborate if so.
Kristen (Admissions): beleity, there is no age limit for applicants. The age range for the incoming class of 2012 was 21-43.
vip98a4c5:

Kristen (Admissions): JYao, we do not have a preference either way.
JYao189868: Thank you!
CZhang914599: Hi Kristen, does MIT encourage applicants to re-apply if they were not granted admissions in the first time around?
vipa7747b:  Hi Harriett, in the interview, will the applicant get a chance to ask questions of the interviewer? In general is it a two-way conversation or one-way?
beleity707: Thank u
vipa7747b: Sorry, Kristen, wrong chat room!
CFeasby96b35f: I know that Calculus is a required course for admission into the program. Does the mark you received in that specific Calc. course affect your application/acceptance, or is it simply a requirement that you took and p
CFeasby96b35f: *passed the course?
Kristen (Admissions): KThiy, what you may actually be referring to his an LGO applicant being accepted by the MBA program. LGO applications must be reviewed by both the MBA program and the engineering dept. If the engineering dept. passes on the candidates but the MBA program views them favoraby, they will be moved to MBA Round II. It is an unusual case for a student to be moved from MBA to LGO, but may happen.
brauliriver13: Hi Kristen, what is the admission committees' stand on post-bacc courses to improve undergrad GPA, or a post-bacc class taken for personal interest?  I am currently retaking Calc and taking French for fun.  I appreciate any insight.
MBoded125c4: Kristen - Thank you!
KThiyagarajan: thank you so much
sloanmba: What form of financing is available to international students, and what are the typical loan interest rates ?
Kristen (Admissions): CFeasby, we do require a basic course in calculus. We aren't looking for a specific mark, but obviously an A or B will be viewed more favorably than a C.
Kristen (Admissions): sloanmba, I would recommend contacting MIT Student Financial Services with your questions. The Admissions Office is not involved in student financing, aside from awarding scholarship and fellowship money.
CFeasby96b35f: Thanks K
PClassicf931b: Hi Kristen - I am a round II applicant and was wondering when interview invitations will be sent out?  Any information providing more details around the interview logistics would be great.  Thank you.
davez: On Scholarships,    are scholarship awards presented with offers of admission?
sloanmba: Thanks, I will reach out to them.
ash1982: Hi Kristen, I graduated from India. Calculus was covered as part of my engineering curriculum, but was not exactly called out explicitly as calculus...i.e. it was referred to as applied mathematics..do I need to call this out explicitly on my application?
Chaiyachoke2: Hi there! Can you tell us a rough schedule about the wave of interview invitation for R2 applicants? Did you distribute it for the 1st or 2nd lot? I know only the decisions will be released by Monday, Apr 2, 2012. Thank you
Kristen (Admissions): PClassic, interview invitations will begin to go out in late February and will continue to go out until the decision release date, April 2nd.
PClassicf931b: Excellent, thanks.
Kristen (Admissions): ash, yes you should include the grade you received in your engineering course and then use the optional essay to mention the course name and what was covered.
CHeinerfc575e: How are interview conducted at Sloan?
ash1982: thanks Kristen
EChinbcbb09: Hi Kristen, can you comment on what happens to a file once it is submitted?  How many people score each application, and are all decisions made by committee, or is your point total the sole factor in determining admission/interview invitation?
Kristen (Admissions): Chaiya, we do not have a schedule of when interview invitations will be released. We will begin to invite candidates for interviews starting in late February and continue to do so right up until April 2nd.
KChen60f159: Kristen, thank you so much for your time. I am a round 2 applicant. After I resigned from last job last June, I am working for enterpreneur who is running a business helping large western companies find right business partners in Asia. It is something like to build a bridge between the western world and the eastern world. I did not write this into my resume. Must I send the update email to admissions office necessarily?
Chaiyachoke2: Thank you very much, Kristen.
JWilliamsde9825: Kristen, thanks again. Could you tell us roughly what percentage of applicants will get dings before April 2nd?
CMa34f3de: Hi Kristen, is there any blog or update website that Sloan uses to inform applicants some general status update, eg. a wave of interview will go out on a certain day etc.
Kristen (Admissions): CHeiner, interviews are behaviorally-based, much like your application. Interviews are conduced only be admissions committee members, not alumni, faculty, or students. Interviewers want to see examples of your accomplishments, decision making, team work, etc.
Kristen (Admissions): KChen, yes you may send an update to adcom@sloan.mit.edu.
CHeinerfc575e: Thanks Kristen....do the specific Adcom members interviewing read that particular applicants essays?
Kristen (Admissions): CMa, we do not have a blog that discusses interview invites, as there is not a set schedule of when they are sent out.
KChen60f159: thank Kristen so much ;-) God bless you
Kristen (Admissions): CHeiner, yes your interviewer will have read your essay from front to back, as well as any comments from other readers.
CHeinerfc575e: Thanks!
CMa34f3de: Thanks
adriankao: Hi Kristen.  Submitting this question again, since I haven't seen a reply.  I applied to a couple of programs (not MIT Sloan) in the past, but was not offered admission despite receiving feedback that my qualifications and credentials are excellent.  I believe that being 31 yrs old and coming from an entrepreneurial background (2nd generation family business) worked against me.  I understand MIT Sloan will accept candidates with more years of working experience, but I'd like to know what are the chances for older applicants with my profile?  Would you suggest I focus on the E-MBA?  Can I apply to both the Full-Time MBA and the E-MBA in the same application year?
FJavazif43b2d: Do you know how many of student SO's from abroad are working? My wive will come along, but wants to work and I worry it might not be easy to find finance work with visa-sponsorship right now in the Cambridge/Boston area. Is there support on offer for SO's?
GTambouraa69593:  hi Kristen. Do you allow a campus visit including attending one class? I was thinking about scheduling a campus visit before applying to make sure Sloan program is right for me
Kristen (Admissions): adrian, you can certainly apply to the full-time MBA and the EMBA in the same year. They are separate programs with separate admissions processes, so i would contact the EMBA office to learn more about what they are looking for in an applicant. I do know they prefer to see 10+ years of post-undergrad work experience in their applicants.
brauliriver13:  Hi Kristen, what is the admission committees' stand on post-bacc courses to improve undergrad GPA, or a post-bacc class taken for personal interest?  I am currently retaking Calc and taking French for fun.  I appreciate any insight.
Kristen (Admissions): GT, please view our schedule for our Ambassadors Program here: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ambassadors.php. You will be able to attend a class with students, have lunch, and have an info session with an Admissions team member.
Chaiyachoke:

Hi! I learned that MIT Sloan will announce a new focused track within its MBA offering. I would like to ask about the recent progress and
When will it use?
Kristen (Admissions): brauli, taking courses for enrichment or to improve your business background, by all means report them in the supplemental. It is certainly something we would consider.
adriankao: Thank you, Kristen.
brauliriver13: Thank you Kristen!
vip98a4c5:

AAhmad499c86: Hi Kristen. What is expected class size for Fall 2012?
GTambouraa69593: Thanks Kristen!
Kristen (Admissions): vip, I would use other aspects of the application to strengthen your candidacy, such as the essays, recommendations, etc. Taking additional courses or re-taking the GMAT or GRE are certainly also options.
Kristen (Admissions): AAmad, our expected class size is 400.
DKwac87909: Hi Kristen, are certain candidates offered full scholarship at Sloan?
paulozac: Kristen, using Adrian's question, Is E-MBA more recommended for 35+ year old candidates? I´m at this profile but prefer Full Time Sloan.
AAhmad499c86: Thank you.
CMa34f3de: Hi Kristen, how many spots out of the 400 have been taken?
kmossgg: Dear Sloan Admissions team, do you know when round II decisions will be released?
Kristen (Admissions): Paul, more info about EMBA can be found at http://emba.mit.edu/admissions/who-should-apply/. I think it is really up to you and what fits your schedule best. We certainly do accept candidates who are in the 35+ range.
Kristen (Admissions): kmoss, Round II decisions will be released on April 2nd.
kmossgg: Thank you Kristen
PClassicf931b: Hi Kristen - are there particular concentrations within the MBA coursework at Sloan that you believe has strength relative to others?  Thanks.
JWilliamsde9825: Hi Kristen - I ask if some dings will come out before the final deadline because I have another fellowship offer I need to respond to before April 2nd. Are early dings likely? Thanks again.
Kristen (Admissions): JWilliams, we have offered early dings in the past, but I do not know if we will do so in this Round. We did not offer early dings in Round I. We recommend asking your fellowship for a deadline extension, as they often can be flexible.
EChinbcbb09: Hi Kristen,  I know that the new track is unnamed, but do you know what type of students it is intended to help?  What career paths will potentially take advantage of the new track?
GYokaichiya4dd74d: Kristen, Is there any expectation of how many candidates will be interviewed in this round?
BCai02998d: Thanks for the information. It is very helpful!!!
JWilliamsde9825: Thank you very much, Kristen. So glad for your time today.
atedesco: Kristen, what is the average amount of work experience for an accepted applicant? Or, better yet, the low end of the range? Also with regard to work experience, is there any emphasis on longevity and promotion within the same firm/industry, as opposed to diversified experience within multiple workplaces or industries, or vice versa?
Kristen (Admissions): PClassic, the wonderful thing about our program is there is only 1 semester of core. You may opt to fill your other three semesters with a specific track (finance, entrepreneurship), or "build your own" by taking whatever electives suit you and your future goals. I don't see any one path as being stronger than the others.
vip98a4c5: Hi what is considered as
Red Flags through interview?
PClassicf931b: OK great.  Thank you again.
Kristen (Admissions): It is time for us to wrap up here! It was a pleasure chatting with you today, and if you have additional questions please email adcom@sloan.mit.edu.

Room 3:
Janis “MBA 2013”: ASharma: I graduated form the United STates Merchant MArine Acaedmy in 2005. I then went to work for General Dynamics and we built ships in San diego CA. I worked in project management and business development for six years before comming to Sloan. I recruited for consuilting but decided not to do it at the last minute and got an internship at Apple so I will be there next summer.
RLee698f49: Wow, nice. What will you be doing there exactly?
DInigobecf02:  Hi Janis,  what would be the most suitable way to find out about career prospects for MBAs in trading or quantitative financial roles? How have you felt the recruitment atmosphere this year for IB and S&T?
Janis “MBA 2013”: RLee: Students are very involved. For example the Chinese Club is putting together an event this Thursday night. The Europeans Club is planning another event in April. If you have questions about a specific club then please ask. But in general they are very active.
FJavazif43b2d: Congratulations Janis on the Apple Internship. Is there a sailing club and is it possible to start new clubs?
Janis “MBA 2013”: AChen: With regards to Collaboration. Everyone here helps everyone else out. There is no competition with regards to grades and some with recruitment but not really. What I mean by that is that during consulting recruiting there were 100+ applying for~20 spots but everyone was helping everyone else out. The idea was almost like let the best man/woman get the job. The amount of collaboration at Sloan is truly amazing.
Janis “MBA 2013”: 2nd years are very helpful as well. You just have to reach out to them. As are alumni!
NSwaminathan2efc7d: What sort of social entrepreneurship opportunities are there?
aecarmona@hotmail.com: Hi Janis, Do you know how is he life for family members, like wife and children?
JFeng4a714f: Thank you for your time, Janis.  Could you please elaborate on how Sloan's curriculum and career services have prepared you for your professional pursuits?
dheerajkaushik90: @JANIS .. will u pls reply me madam
SBoussely102a3b: Hi Janis, if you could tell one experience, which one did you shape you the most during your 1st year? and why?
BGuptada30d3: Hi Janis.. since the curriculum of MBA is very tight and students are busy most of the time.. how often do students get time for extra curricular activities.. I play soccer and would want to find time for that
dpeng:  What are the most active or most popular student organizations?
Janis “MBA 2013”: Dinigo: With regards to finding out about finance roles I would reach out to the clubs. I am sure they would be happy to talk to you. From what I understand there is a generic email which someone receives.
BMa9efe64: What core differences set Sloan apart from other MBA programs , NYU Stern or HBS for example . Thanks.
Janis “MBA 2013”: SSwama: Not sure what you mean by social entrpreneurship? Meaning facebook and things of that nature?
NSwaminathan2efc7d: (From wiki):  A social entrepreneur recognizes a social problem and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create and manage a venture to achieve
NSwaminathan2efc7d: social change.
Janis “MBA 2013”: aecarmona: We call husbands/wives/girlfriends etc. significant others. There is a actually a significant others (so) club with a leadership who try and pull all the SO's together. I take extra time to try and reach out to them at parties because it is tough only because the person who is at school knows everyone etc. However, from what I understand the SO's amongst themselves are very close.
beleity707: Janis , my GPA is 2.8 but I have good experience with proofs for career progression and success stories , would I still be eligible to apply for Sloan?
XMiaob5c108: Hi Janis! Thank you for your time today! Very appreciate it! My question is what is the biggest benefit you see Sloan brought to you in this year?
SLee4e393b: I`m interested in Sloan social impact fellowship because it`s related to my career aspiration. could you give me more detailed or different information that the website does not include?
SLee4e393b: and thank you in advance
maomarvin: Hi Janis, following up on aecarmona's question, does having a student with a partner as a member of a small group pose complications on scheduling group sessions? Are there any support groups that help out in this respect?
Janis “MBA 2013”: JFeng: I think career services has been great. One of the benefits of Sloan is that companies come to you. McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Apple, Goldman, Intel etc all recruit on campus at sloan. A buddy of mine goes to school in DC and he says it has been a challenge for him to recruit because he has to go out and find opportunities. Sloan having the reputation that it does naturally atttracts top compnies. Career services also does a lot to help you with interviewing, cover letters and resumes. You just have to make an appointment and they are available. You should be aware that certain industries do not recruit heavily at sloan like marketing. All that means is that you may have to make an additional effort.
CFeasby96b35f: *Janis
Janis “MBA 2013”: BMa: With regards to comparing other programs its difficult for me to answer that question because I don't study there. In general the core is known to be a challenge. Academically I didnt find it that difficult its just the sheer quantitity of information they throw at you. Its also known for being quantitative.
avivshl: Hi Janis, thank you for taking the time to talk with us. I was wondering about the financial aid that is offered to MBA applicants? Is there any at all? Thank you.
ASharmabdf20b: Janis...What is a usual career path after Sloan? If I am coming there after 3 years of work-ex with an oil services firm, am I bound to be in the same area afterwards or I can switch career path easily? Thanks
Janis “MBA 2013”: NSwama: I cant speek to social entrepreneurs, but in general entrepreneurialism is alive and active at Sloan. Think about the engineering (as well as media lab) resources out there. There are all these brainy engineers who have great ideas and may have problems taking them to market. Thats where Sloan MBA's come in.
BMa9efe64: Thanks Janis
VHona40ae5: Hi Janis, does the second year course load/curriculum involve as much of a time commitment as the first year? What would you say is a challenge (if any) that you have faced at Sloan?
BMa9efe64: Also curious what motivates you to go for a MBA program and why you chose Sloan ? Thanks.
Janis “MBA 2013”: Slee: Soclao impact is definetly supported at Sloan. There is even a program where students who get salaries pledge one day of their slaries for students who do internships in the social sector because their pay is lower.
vip1099c1:

Hi Janis, could you tell us about the students collaboration with other schools and labs at MIT? For example, is there any Sloan's collaboration with MIT Media Lab? If you know, pls tell us some examples.
FJavazif43b2d: Hi Janis - thank you for your kind advice. I am considering quitting my job and work with a friend on a social enterpreneurship project in Kyrgyzstan until the MBA, but I worry that it may be a negative to have no "proper" job when I go for the interview. What would you counsel?
f_carvallo:  Janis, being an international student, can we have the same financial aids comparing to US citizens?, also I would like to know how is the life for family members who would go with us to Boston for the MBA program
Janis “MBA 2013”: CFeasby: I would say international rectuitment depends on the industry and country. For example for consulting they recruit heavily for Europe and South America. But in the end if a company you like recruits at Sloan they normally will pass along your information to in country recruiters.
maomarvin: Hi Janis, are there many students who live in the greater boston area and regularly commute to class?
CFeasby96b35f: Thanks Janis
JFeng4a714f: Thanks Janis.  What would be the one change you wish to make to Sloan's MBA program?
RMa8d03a9: how is international recruitment for China like?
Janis “MBA 2013”: VHona: With regards to second year curriculum its as hard as you want to make it. As well as I understand it you have to take 180 total credits. I am maxing out this year to decrease my course load next year in case I have to do more job search. You also have a good idea of what the course load will be like by looking at the syllabus prior to entering the class so its definetly manageable.
SBoussely102a3b: Janis, is there a lot of graduated who are recruited for rotational programs (of G.E., Medtronics, other big pharmaceutical companies)?
MRicardc914c9: Hi Janis, are you or is anyone you know from a non-business background?  I am a scientist and I am curious about the transition from research laboratory to MBA program.
VHona40ae5: Thanks a lot Janis!
MRicardc914c9: Also, can you speak a little bit about internships?
Janis “MBA 2013”: Fjava: I think its less about where wou worked and more about the impact that you had. Thats my experience any way.
Janis “MBA 2013”: f_carvallo: I was just told that financing is available through MIT after you get admitted through student financial services. It is different than what US citizens get but not by much...from what I am told
MCREELYda337f: Janis, I know you said you can't speak about the actual programs of other schools, but when you were applying to b-schools, what influenced your personal decision to choose MIT over other programs?
Janis “MBA 2013”: mao: Not sure what you mean by greater boston area...A lot of people live in cambridge as well as beacon hill, just because its so close to school. But there are people who commute. If you have a choice I would recommend cambridge. I wanted to have the entire MIT experience and so far I feel I have had that.
DInigobecf02: Janis, how have you felt recruitment this year for those intrested in finance?
Janis “MBA 2013”: Rma: with regards to international recruitment I would ask admissions who should be in another chat room
EChinbcbb09: Janis, are you able to compare your mba experience with people you may know that attend other mba programs?  Does MIT have any strengths or weaknesses that stand out compared to other top programs?
maomarvin: Sorry Janis I should have been more specific, I meant towns outside boston as the "greater boston area". Thank you for the answer though!
SLee4e393b: Thank you for the information about social impact fellowship. You emphasized there is a strong support for social impact courses at Sloan in Korea when I asked about courses and talked about my volunteer medical service experience. It`s a great help. Thank you
avivshl: Thanks Janis
ASharmabdf20b: Janis, After interacting with different people there...what do you think Sloan look for in its students?
Janis “MBA 2013”: MRicard: There are a lot of people form a non-business background. One of my friends was a medical doctor before comming to sloan, many others are in non-profit. Its all about why you want to come to Sloan and does it make sense for you to get an MBA.
RMa8d03a9: Thanks janis, I am currently in Toronto, and was more wondering about the career opportunities of GOING to china
CReines_Gonzalez195c76: Hi Janis, what would recommend us as the best alternative for accomodation?
MRicardc914c9: Thanks, Janis!
Janis “MBA 2013”: MCreely: The people at MIT are great. For the most part people will tell you its the people that make Sloan awsome. Everyone supports each other and in general students are nice people. They also come from such diverse backgrounds and have done such awesome things in their jobs.
Janis “MBA 2013”: mao: One of my friends has his family in the cape, but has a place in boston for the week. He sees his family on the weekends.
RRamlane86a46:  Hello Janis, did you have the interview with adcom or an alum?
SWalters4b6e7d:

Good Morning Janis.  I am only vaguely familiiar with Boston.  Can you tell me a little about the cost of living?  I would be particularly interested in the Cambridge area, as you mentioned that is where you are living.  Th
ank you.
maomarvin: Ok thank you Janis!
MCREELYda337f: Thanks Janis!
Janis “MBA 2013”: Asharma: I think they look for impact, what difference have you made in your job or personal life. I also think they look for "fit"...fit is hard to describe but I think by looking at videos and comming to sloan you can get an idea about what they (admissions) is looking for
Janis “MBA 2013”: Rma: With regards to China I think it depends on industry. What industry do you think you want to work in?
FJavazif43b2d: Thank you Janis! How difficult is it for SOs to find finance/accounting-related work in the Cambridge/Boston area? Do most SOs work? Just from your experience with Americans/Green Card holders, as I understand that visa-sponsorship is yet another matter.
Janis “MBA 2013”: RRam: I had an interview at Slaon with Accom.
RMa8d03a9: Thank you Janis, I am interested in Tech/Telecom & maybe consulting
adriankao: Hi Janis.  I am considering to apply for either the Full-Time MBA or the E-MBA.  In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of each?  How much of a challenge is it to participate in the E-MBA program if I live overseas?
RRamlane86a46: Sloan is known for its flexibility to have more electives.  How did you find yourself picking your own class?  Easy?
ASharmabdf20b: Thanks a lot Janis...that was very informative
Janis “MBA 2013”: SWalters: With regards to cost of living it is expensive, but expensive is realtive. For example I pay 1050 in rent a month and live with 2 other guys. You can compare cost of living online between cities so I would look at that. With regards to loans...they have been enough and I dont feel strapped for cash. I went on a Utah trip with classmates and am going to Japan for 10 days in March so its definitly manageable.
RRamlane86a46: Thanks, Janis.  What were the things that you found surprising during your interview?  Any unusual questions?
Janis “MBA 2013”: RMA: Consulting is easy because the big 3 come to Sloan. You can tell them you want China and they will put you in touch with a recruiter. Even if you get a consulting job in the states you can transfer to a department in China pretty easily.
Janis “MBA 2013”: No chinese Tech companies really recruit at Sloan from what I know. But at Apple for instance I know I will be doing a good amount of travel to China
SWalters4b6e7d: Thank you.  That does sound manageable.
RMa8d03a9: Thank you Janis
MRicardc914c9: Janis, can you talk at all about internship opportunities?
CFeasby96b35f: Would you recommend/not recommend the Sloan MBA for someone who has no interest in tech./IT?
Janis “MBA 2013”: adrian: I think ir really depends on your experience. Check out the bios of executive MBA's and if you think you are on par apply there. I know right now they have one international student.
FJavazif43b2d: Janis, I will be back home in Japan in early March. My wive and I would gladly help you/your friends around Tokyo, if you require a guide. You can reach me at javazi@gmail.com
Janis “MBA 2013”: RRam: Picking electives was relatively easy because you cantalk to people and there are course and professor rankings. Its on a bid system so you have 1000 points and bid against others. I actually think a classmate of mine is building an optimization model to make the whole thing easier so more people can get what they want.
Janis “MBA 2013”: MRicard: With regads to internship opportunities what industry are you thinking about?
MRicardc914c9: Biotech/Venture Capital
maomarvin: Hi Janis, in your estimation about what percentage of the class have partners?
maomarvin: ie engaged or married
Janis “MBA 2013”: CFeasby: What do you want to do in tech and why you think you need an MBA?
CReines_Gonzalez195c76: Janis would you recommend using the internship to explore new job areas or to further specialize in your own background?
RMa8d03a9: Does Sloan have a strong alumni network in china? what's a good way to assess that?
Janis “MBA 2013”: Fjav: We have 20 Japanese Slonies organizing the event. you should reach out to them and see if you can't hook up with us! thanks though!
CFeasby96b35f: Janis, I think you misread my question, while I want to pursue an MBA what would you say to someone who has NO specific interest in tech./IT about the Sloan MBA
Janis “MBA 2013”: MRicard: With reagrds to biotech I would reach out to a club...dont want to give you bad info. with regards to VC its tough. My good buddy is in it and the nature of the beast is that those companies don't really hire unless someone leaves. The great things is some of the companies do recruit at Sloan and they will answer your calls if you reach out to them. There is also a VC club and Sloan puts on a VC conference so more oportunites to network.
RRamlane86a46: What would be your favorite class and professor?  Why?
MRicardc914c9: Great, thanks!
Janis “MBA 2013”: mao: I guess about 1/3...
maomarvin: ok thank you!
FJavazif43b2d: Thanks Janis! How may I reach out to the Japanese Sloan alumni?
Janis “MBA 2013”: cfeasby: sorry...consulting, banking, healthcare, operations, retail (Nike, amazon) all recruit at sloan. So tech is only one aspect. I can say marketing and some financial services (for which schools like Chicago are known for) are a bit more difficult
DInigobecf02:

Janis, I have seen that the specialized curriculum tracks have a lot of seminars.. are they project based, applied or theoretical?
CFeasby96b35f: Thanks Janis, that helps
acheung19: Janis, what's the mood amongst your classmates about the job/internship prospects this year?
Janis “MBA 2013”: RRam: Favorite class last semester was Organizational Processes with Professor Apfelbaum. he is a great professor from Kellogg. It was more about the soft skills which I found interesting.
Janis “MBA 2013”: Fjav: I know there is a club. Go on the website and see if you cant find a contact.
GYokaichiya4dd74d: Janis, How do you divide you activities along the day? I mean, how much time do you spend job hunting, in classes, studying and in any other activity?
Janis “MBA 2013”: DI: I would say more theoretical. They bring in guest speakers etc. That being said I am not in a track. FYI most people come in thinking they need to be in one track or another...after about a month a lot of people drop out of them because they realize its not needed for their career goals.
FJavazif43b2d: Thanks Janis
RRamlane86a46: Thanks, Janis.  If you don't mind coming back to my previous question :  What were the things that you found surprising during your interview?  Any unusual questions?
Janis “MBA 2013”: ach: I won't lie its a bit tough for some industries like banking, but all in all I think its good. Hard to compare because I haven't been here other years. Everyone basically knows they are going to get an internship this summer, its just a matter of where.
vip5e2a4a:

Hi Janis, I'm curious, do the majority of MBA students live in Cambridge and Boston or they commute from
greater Boston (and less expensive) areas?
Janis “MBA 2013”: GY: During the core academics 50%, recruting 20%, personal 15% and then other 15% (clubs etc.) But I think it changes once you get an internship and in the second semester when you dont have the core and the courseload becomes more managemeable.
Janis “MBA 2013”: RRam: No surprises. In general it was a good experience. There is some website that people talk about what interview questions they had and I found it a good source...google it.
jmm61:

Janis can you please talk a bit about PE recruiting at Sloan versus other schools
? Are there many students targeting this field at sloan? And are they able to get interviews through the alumni network or career resources?
Janis “MBA 2013”: vip: Most people live in Cambridge and Beacon hill. Being close to Sloan is where people want to be. During the core I think one would find it difficult to commute a lot.
JFeng4a714f: Janis, have there been good placements in the asset management industry?
Janis “MBA 2013”: PE is also tough. Cant compare it to other schools but you basically have to go out and network. The Sloan brand will get you conversations though.
Janis “MBA 2013”: JFeng: NOt sure about asset management.
Janis “MBA 2013”: Aight guys and gals it looks like our time is up! I hope I added some value. Overall I have really enjoyed my experience here and don't regreat it one bit. IF you have any more questions you can always email adcom@sloan.mit.edu.
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
发表于 2012-2-16 01:30:42 | 只看该作者
lz大好人,收藏慢慢看了
板凳
发表于 2012-2-16 01:39:51 | 只看该作者
谢谢!浓缩版:R2面试邀请还没发出,大概在1周到10天内发出。分拨发出。
地板
发表于 2012-2-16 08:21:42 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主哇
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 07:21
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部