返回列表 发新帖
查看: 5379|回复: 19
打印 上一主题 下一主题

第二遍做又错了...=.=新prep177请教!

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-10-19 17:26:43 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe, Jane Goodall collected data that proved that chimpanzees exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing

A. exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing

B. will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitating and practicing

C. will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitation and practice

D. exhibit the kind of curiosity by which new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitation and practice

E. exhibit the kind of curiosity where new patterns of behavior and expression are passed on to others by imitation and practice

错选了B 看了解释后明白“so that” “will” 等错误的用法

但正确答案的D选项怎么都看不太舒服啊, 到底by which 是指代什么呢?有NN能帮忙还原一下句子么?
收藏收藏1 收藏收藏1
沙发
发表于 2012-1-26 06:02:55 | 只看该作者
同错,我都做了好几遍还是错,

我觉得so that 在这里逻辑上面不能错阿,请大牛解答,
板凳
发表于 2012-1-26 09:37:37 | 只看该作者
顶下
地板
发表于 2012-1-26 10:21:54 | 只看该作者
这题我觉得有以下points,大体按重要性排序:
1. VERB TENSE
sb. collected data that proved that chimpazees will exhibit
将来时是严重错误啊!一般过去时可以接受(假如侧重于描述过去的实验结果的话,即“参与这个科学实验的那些大猩猩如何如何表现”,但是这题还是不接受吧),这里最好是用一般现在时(描述普遍的自然规律)

2. sth. be passed on from one to another
扫一眼句子就能判断,一定一定是"from one to another"啊。A的"from each one to others" non-idiomatic,E的"passed to others"改变了句意
Analogy:
Scholars pass on knowledge from one to another. (是在Scholars这个圈子里的一个教一个,就像导师带学生)
Scholars pass on knowledge to others. (others是与前面的名词对立互补的关系,这句话说的是学者向大众传授知识)

3. so that vs. by which
这个逻辑含义的区别也很关键,不过看到这点需要对句意更深入的理解(个人觉得2那个更容易一眼看出来)
这句话表现的意思是
It is the curiosity that enables new patterns to be passed on from one to another.
用by which再贴切不过了!

Analogy:
Sentence 1: We learn some kind of methods by which SC problems can be solved.
Sentence 2: We learn some kind of methods so that SC problems can be solved.
Sentence 1 is superior, why?
Because Sentence 1 clearly express the idea that:
It is the METHODS that we use to solve SC problems.

By contrast, in sentence 2, we are saying: We do action A, and therefore event B happen.
But what do you mean by "so that"?
It could be that, for example, event B SOMEHOW cannot happen without action A.
That say, if we do not learn the methods, some authority does not allow us to solve the problems.

babybearmm: Let me solve the problems, please!

Authority: No! You MUST learn the methods first. I will not let you solve the problems unless you have the knowledge.
  babybearmm: OK I understand. I should learn the methods so that I can solve the problems.

不知道我解释清楚没有..总之GMAT的SC特别重视逻辑
至于where为啥错,Manhattan上面说了......
参见
http://forum.chasedream.com/GMAT_SC/thread-648029-1-1.html#15825635

In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe, Jane Goodall collected data that proved that chimpanzees exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing

A. exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing

B. will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitating and practicing

C. will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitation and practice

D. exhibit the kind of curiosity by which new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitation and practice

E. exhibit the kind of curiosity where new patterns of behavior and expression are passed on to others by imitation and practice

-- by 会员 regansun (2011/10/19 17:26:43)

5#
发表于 2012-1-26 11:00:17 | 只看该作者
我只能找出第一和第二点,哈哈,至于where,manhattan chapter 6中说过,the pronoun where can be used to modify a noun place,such as  site ,area ,country .Where can't modify a "metaphonical place",such as condition,situation,case,circumstances or agreement.只能用 介词+which. eg:we had an agreement in which he cooked and I cleaned [quote].
这题我觉得有以下points,大体按重要性排序:
1. VERB TENSE
sb. collected data that proved that chimpazees will exhibit
将来时是严重错误啊!一般过去时可以接受(假如侧重于描述过去的实验结果的话,即“参与这个科学实验的那些大猩猩如何如何表现”,但是这题还是不接受吧),这里最好是用一般现在时(描述普遍的自然规律)

2. sth. be passed on from one to another
扫一眼句子就能判断,一定一定是"from one to another"啊。A的"from each one to others" non-idiomatic,E的"passed to others"改变了句意
Analogy:
Scholars pass on knowledge from one to another. (是在Scholars这个圈子里的每个各体之间,就说学术圈内部的交流)
Scholars pass on knowledge to others. (others是与前面的名词对立互补的关系,这句话说的是学者向大众传授知识)

3. so that vs. by which
这个逻辑含义的区别也很关键,不过看到这点需要对句意更深入的理解(个人觉得2那个更容易一眼看出来)
这句话表现的意思是
It is the curiosity that enables new patterns to be passed on from one to another.
用by which再贴切不过了!

Analogy:
Sentence 1: We learn some kind of methods by which SC problems can be solved.
Sentence 2: We learn some kind of methods so that SC problems can be solved.
Sentence 1 is superior, why?
Because Sentence 1 clearly express the idea that:
It is the METHODS that we use to solve SC problems.

By contrast, in sentence 2, we are saying: We do action A, and therefore event B happen.
But what do you mean by "so that"?
It could be, for example, that event B SOMEHOW cannot happen without action A.
That say, if we do not learn the methods, some authority does not allow us to solve the problems.

babybearmm: Let me solve the problems, please!

Authority: No! You MUST learn the methods first. I will not let you solve the problems unless you have done so.
  babybearmm: OK I understand. I should learn the methods so that I can solve the problems.

不知道我解释清楚没有..总之GMAT的SC特别重视逻辑
至于where为啥错,Manhattan上面说了......
参见
http://forum.chasedream.com/GMAT_SC/thread-648029-1-1.html#15825635

-- by 会员 regansun (2011/10/19 17:26:43)

-- by 会员 babybearmm (2012/1/26 10:21:54)
6#
发表于 2012-1-26 11:13:16 | 只看该作者
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in-her-26-years-in-the-forests-of-gombe-jane-goodall-t453.html

这题还有一点我先没发现, 就是结尾的imitating and practicing.

this is the only choice that uses "by which", as required by proper idiom.  it also uses "imitation and practice" at the end, which is correct (vis-à-vis "imitating and practicing", which don't have a proper noun as referent).                

By the way, how do I know we need "by which?"  My two options are by which and so that.  Did something happen so that something else would happen?  That is, was the first thing done on purpose to make the second thing happen?  Or did one thing just lead to another thing, more passively?  (This is the "by which" scenario.)  "So that" says that I consciously did something to make something else happen: I chose a high-paying job so that I could make a lot of money.  "By which" just says this is how it happened: My high-paying job is the method by which I make a lot of money.

Do the chimps exhibit curiosity on purpose in order to pass behaviors on?  Or do they happen to have this curiosity and that's how the behaviors get passed on?  It's the latter, so I use "by which."

嗯,看来我编的那个例子没错...If I use "so that", that expression indicates that babybearmm learns the methods on purpose to solve the problems (granted by the authority).
7#
发表于 2012-1-26 11:44:07 | 只看该作者
就是动词好于形容词或副词好于名词好于Ving,恩恩,thx~~
8#
发表于 2012-1-26 12:11:32 | 只看该作者
我觉得你列出来的序列,是“相对”问题  GMAT prefers A to B这样的问题
而诸如agreement, parallel, verb tense, ...这里面很多问题都是“绝对”的问题

什么是absolute,什么是preference....

这里Manhattan instructors说的是,及物动词的v-ing后面必须跟object

I think it should either end with "imitation and practice" (as some of the other wrong answers do) or with "imitating and practicing <something>"

-By Stacey@Manhattan GMAT

-- by 会员 Suri在奋斗 (2012/1/26 11:44:07)

9#
发表于 2012-1-26 15:20:29 | 只看该作者

我觉得你列出来的序列,是“相对”问题  GMAT prefers A to B这样的问题
而诸如agreement, parallel, verb tense, ...这里面很多问题都是“绝对”的问题

什么是absolute,什么是preference....

这里Manhattan instructors说的是,及物动词的v-ing后面必须跟object

I think it should either end with "imitation and practice" (as some of the other wrong answers do) or with "imitating and practicing <something>"

-By Stacey@Manhattan GMAT

-- by 会员 Suri在奋斗 (2012/1/26 11:44:07)

-- by 会员 babybearmm (2012/1/26 12:11:32)

10#
发表于 2012-3-8 11:53:34 | 只看该作者
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in-her-26-years-in-the-forests-of-gombe-jane-goodall-t453.html

this is the only choice that uses "by which", as required by proper idiom.  it also uses "imitation and practice" at the end, which is correct (vis-à-vis "imitating and practicing", which don't have a proper noun as referent).                

By the way, how do I know we need "by which?"  My two options are by which and so that.  Did something happen so that something else would happen?  That is, was the first thing done on purpose to make the second thing happen?  Or did one thing just lead to another thing, more passively?  (This is the "by which" scenario.)  "So that" says that I consciously did something to make something else happen: I chose a high-paying job so that I could make a lot of money.  "By which" just says this is how it happened: My high-paying job is the method by which I make a lot of money.

Do the chimps exhibit curiosity on purpose in order to pass behaviors on?  Or do they happen to have this curiosity and that's how the behaviors get passed on?  It's the latter, so I use "by which."

嗯,看来我编的那个例子没错...If I use "so that", that expression indicates that babybearmm learns the methods on purpose to solve the problems (granted by the authority).
-- by 会员 babybearmm (2012/1/26 11:13:16)

这里没太明白~关于by imitation and practice的

当时我在做时判D错的其中一个原因是“ new patterns of behavior and expression can bepassed on from one to another”在D中看来有两个方式状语了,一个是by curiosity一个是by imitation and practice……所以觉得累赘,这样没问题吗?

而且JJ   Stacey@Manhattan GMAT 的意思是说by practicing and imitating与by imitation and practice都可以喽?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-30 16:51
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部