搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: arundhati
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[求助]GWD9-1

[复制链接]
41#
发表于 2004-10-27 03:39:00 | 只看该作者

after seeing all the posts, i agree with E.   but this is really a confusing question.

1. parallelism: Jean Toomer’s Cane, Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

2. by a black american, not by black americans...         (sigh, not a native speaker)

3. ----  &  including

42#
发表于 2004-10-29 18:43:00 | 只看该作者

test

43#
发表于 2004-11-11 12:10:00 | 只看该作者
过分,本来都很坚信自己选B的。。。。
44#
发表于 2004-11-22 14:09:00 | 只看该作者

依然困惑.

但是找到一条ETS在上下文(并从逻辑上)意思清楚的情况下认可by表达为written by.

请见阅读大全Passage 73 (10/22) 第一段

During the Victorian period, women writers were measured against a social rather than a literary ideal. Hence, it was widely thought that novels by women should be modest, religious, sensitive, guileless, and chaste, like their authors.

此处清楚的表达了novels by women=novels written by women. 因为上文有所提及.

再看本篇阅读的第一个问题.

1.      The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) refute the contention that no Victorian woman writer produced a novel like War and Peace

(B) trace the historical relationship between radical feminist politics and the Victorian novels written by women

第二次直接用了novels written by women, 因为从问题的句子本身来看, 并不能省略written, 否则表达不清楚.

甚至于, 在阅读大全中, 有不少例子直接用by, 而不用done by, 省略了实意动词, 如大全Passage 103 (3/17)第二段

She concludes that among ordinary citizens, political activism by women in the nineteenth century prefigured trends in twentieth-century politics.

但是, 哭笑不得!!!

请见这一句No. 3-1 SECTION A

Notable as important nineteenth-century novels by women, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights treat women very differently.

novels by women 与本句B一致

但是后面的A’B AND C’D又与选项E一致.

但是综合看来, written by including都不是B选项的硬伤, three novels written by a black amercian 是硬伤

大家讨论.
45#
发表于 2004-12-2 15:13:00 | 只看该作者
第一次,我做GWD-9-1时选E,答案上说是B;可第二次,我做GWD-12-1时还是选的E——见了鬼了——这次答案居然变为E了。
46#
发表于 2004-12-2 16:43:00 | 只看该作者
LES,我夜选了B.不知道现在有没有定论了
47#
发表于 2004-12-2 16:54:00 | 只看该作者
要我选择,我一定选B:

原因有两点:

1.一定要选Black Americans,而不是A black america;因为这是个定语,修饰前面的novels,根据平衡原则,这里算一个平衡点

2.现在只剩下A和B可供选择,A和原文一模一样,而且要做状语,也没有连接词,还是有inlcuding的B好多了.

以下是引用arundhati在2004-7-9 8:33:00的发言:

GWD9-1

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

The answer key says the answer is B, explaining the need for parallelism and a plural for Black American as each of those novels were written by different folks. However, I find the part after the dash in B rather a fragmented and the parallelism crooked. I just sense the answer should be E and think that as one refers to one of the three novels, hence the singular is alright, for Black American. And what's more, it seems parallel---Jean Toomer’s Cane, Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.

"including", past participle is used as an adjective and gives extra information relating to "Black American".Here, 'including' coming after "-". In general, it should come after ",". However, the information coming after "Black American" relates to Black American's books, not Black Americans themselves. I see nothing wrong with E which use the "hyphens" to relate Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man to the primary subject of the independent clause, Jean Toomer’s Cane.

I chosed B at the first sight thinking "blank americans" according to "novels", but now i want to know what's wrong with E, and is B really alright? I'm thinking might be we're too strick on the word 'being'. Waiting for instruction.

48#
发表于 2004-12-2 17:30:00 | 只看该作者

I spent 10 mins on it and I finally agree with E which at least avoid a flawed expression :

americans- including book1 by and book 2 by

further comments are welcome~

49#
发表于 2004-12-12 21:15:00 | 只看该作者

给点看法:

首先,网上搜到的不一定是对的!美国人说话就没有语法错误了么? an black american 一个很明显的错误冠词an . 它可以犯an的错误, 为什么不能犯本应该是 black americans 的错误呢。 很可能ETS就是把这个句子当作错句,作为语法的更正来出题,而错句子本身也成为干扰选项之一

其次,根据语法规则看。LES讲的很有道理,novels是三个人分别写的,怎么样都不能by a black american. 我今天刚复习了白勇语法,物主为人可以用sbo's n 也可以用 n of sbo.但是物主为物只能用 n of sth; being只能用在介词后,放再E里明显罗嗦。

总之,如果ETS这么狠这么愚蠢还是跟着网上搜到的句子犯错误,我认了,坚定不移的选B!

50#
发表于 2004-12-12 21:58:00 | 只看该作者
SC第一大规则-——逻辑
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 06:45
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部