查看: 106507|回复: 206
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[求助]GWD9-1

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2004-7-9 08:33:00 | 只看该作者

[求助]GWD9-1

GWD9-1

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

The answer key says the answer is B, explaining the need for parallelism and a plural for Black American as each of those novels were written by different folks. However, I find the part after the dash in B rather a fragmented and the parallelism crooked. I just sense the answer should be E and think that as one refers to one of the three novels, hence the singular is alright, for Black American. And what's more, it seems parallel---Jean Toomer’s Cane, Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.

"including", past participle is used as an adjective and gives extra information relating to "Black American".Here, 'including' coming after "-". In general, it should come after ",". However, the information coming after "Black American" relates to Black American's books, not Black Americans themselves. I see nothing wrong with E which use the "hyphens" to relate Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man to the primary subject of the independent clause, Jean Toomer’s Cane.

I chosed B at the first sight thinking "blank americans" according to "novels", but now i want to know what's wrong with E, and is B really alright? I'm thinking might be we're too strick on the word 'being'. Waiting for instruction.

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-7-9 8:34:50编辑过]
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2004-7-9 08:36:00 | 只看该作者
oops.. don't know why i can't edit it.. sorry for the poor typeset...
板凳
发表于 2004-7-9 16:25:00 | 只看该作者
同样的疑惑,等待高手指点!
地板
发表于 2004-7-9 16:52:00 | 只看该作者

如果说是C, D, E,相当于说three best .... written by ONE SINGLE Black American.....

5#
发表于 2004-7-9 16:54:00 | 只看该作者

B中的including 是介词。

E中说the three best novels ever writen by a Black America, 意思是一个美国人写了三本最好的书,那么后面应该解释还有两本是什么书,而选项中却突然说了另外两个作者,逻辑矛盾。

6#
发表于 2004-7-9 16:58:00 | 只看该作者
同意LES!!!!
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2004-7-9 17:34:00 | 只看该作者

我一开始也是像LES说的那样,觉得几本书一个人写不合逻辑意思,可是后来想想,我们同样可以理解成,三本由美国黑人写的书,这里的a并不强调数量,如果说the three best novels ever writen by one Black America就会不同了。况且想我上面说的,破折号连接两个句子,这里既然用including介词,为什么不用逗号,很不符合书面用法。

这里比较的是三本书,而E仿佛非常对称。而且E并不是说另外两个作者哦,而是另外两给作者的书,没什么问题啊?

请继续指点哦~

8#
发表于 2004-7-9 17:58:00 | 只看该作者
哈哈E选项后面是提到两本书,刚刚看走眼了,看到D选项去了。但是即使这样,E还是有逻辑矛盾问题。a Black America 就是指一个美国作家,即使不是在强调数量,还是一个美国作家。
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2004-7-10 08:21:00 | 只看该作者
那如果E把单数改成复数是不是就可以了?我昨天问了几个native speaker,他们都是第一反应就是E,这让我有些惊讶。问问原因,都说这个破折号后跟including别扭。看来他们对大框架的要求高于小错误。不过这题想多了挺confusing的,不知考试会不会碰到这种题~
10#
发表于 2004-7-10 10:07:00 | 只看该作者

by checking several grammar books, the dash, not hyphen, act two functions.

I. to indicate an interruption or an afterthough: We'll be there- at least- in an hour!

II. to indicate special emphasis in place of a comma: Give people what they want- money, fame, and power.

back to the question, I pick up B for the answer, not only because "writen by Black Americans" , for me, is well sound to modify "the three best novels", but also because dash, sometime act as a comma, represent the extra idea.

besides, think of "dash" as "comma" !!  the present particle phrase is bearing on the whole sentence while the E " others being..........."  produces the awaward sense.

further discuession are welcome....

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 06:48
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部