ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
打印 上一主题 下一主题

请学长介绍一下今年的就业情况~

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2011-3-14 15:40:37 | 只看该作者
和xiaoqi昨天聊天,我就觉得启发挺大,想想如果是有10个都对地产非常感兴趣的人一起交流一年,是一件非常有意思的事情。身未动,心已远啊...
12#
发表于 2011-3-15 11:46:16 | 只看该作者
大家都讨论的那么热火朝天,我好惭愧,我只顾着琢磨学校附近有什么好餐厅好酒吧,健身房里的瑜伽课都开哪几种去了。。 决定面壁思过。。。
13#
发表于 2011-3-15 12:55:00 | 只看该作者
From my friend working in GS real estate IBD in NYC:

His opinion on the schools, "I agree w/ your assessment of Columbia vs Cornell Real Estate Masters programs; it’s better to have the ability to do an internship, but being in NYC would be better than Ithaca.  I would think the Columbia Real Estate Masters program would be a good option, and probably more attractive than Cornell. "

His opinion on job hunting, "You’ll definitely have a better shot at an analyst position, but you’ll have to work a little harder to get in front of banks b/c my guess is it’s outside of the standard analyst recruiting program which predominantly recruits from undergraduate schools.  Not a slam dunk but my guess is that it’s possible with some hard work. "

Hope this helps.
14#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-3-15 14:32:08 | 只看该作者
-- by 会员 joannaw0735 (2011/3/15 11:46:16)

哈哈~美女~~你也决定去Columbia啦~~关于这些玩乐信息大家要互相多share哦~嘿。。。
15#
发表于 2011-3-16 11:22:56 | 只看该作者

就让你再幸福的幻想两天吧。希望刚才我说的没把你吓到。但我们summer semester 6个星期的real estate history class真有10本textbook。我们那个学期为这事反映了好几次,也许你们这届textbook会少两本。

4.15我给你介绍好餐厅好酒吧,你就管买单就好。
16#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-3-16 11:55:00 | 只看该作者

就让你再幸福的幻想两天吧。希望刚才我说的没把你吓到。但我们summer semester 6个星期的real estate history class真有10本textbook。我们那个学期为这事反映了好几次,也许你们这届textbook会少两本。

4.15我给你介绍好餐厅好酒吧,你就管买单就好。
-- by 会员 lovejiujiu (2011/3/16 11:22:56)

-o-!!赤果果的摧残啊!!!
弱问一下,在哪可以看到书单,为了避免被虐,准备先预习预习。。。 
17#
发表于 2011-3-17 00:52:48 | 只看该作者
Lovejiujiu,

While I understand where you're coming from, I'm not completely sure I agree with your take on recruiting for Int'ls.  I've seen quite a number of international students land jobs here in the States.  Granted, it is much harder, but certainly not impossible.  I would say that the most likely path of landing a job in the states if you're an international is to do an internship, and leveraging your summer experience into a full-time position.  The easiest path to landing a full-time position in the states is to go through the banking or advisory route which tends to offer a lot more internships and more H1-B visas.

As far as trying to land a full-time offer at a bank, I would say it's imperative to have done an internship in the same industry.  The four students from this year's class that are entering IBD all spent their summer either with an IB or a well-respected PE shop.  In short, there are opportunities out there, you just have to place yourself in the right position to capitalize on them.
18#
发表于 2011-3-17 03:39:04 | 只看该作者
R,
Actually I absolutely agree with your comment. For ppl who are interested in working for Investment Banks, a two year program with internship definitely has advantage over us. However, I think we are discussing two different subjects here.

1. To answer Rabbit's question, after talking to the major banks during their recruitment at Columbia in September/October, the feedback we have received is that most of the IBDs do not plan to expand their real estate division any time soon. Blackrock, GS are shrinking their size. That's why I said if Rabbit's primary goal is to stay in US after graduation, I would not recommand her to study real estate at this moment simply because of the market conditions. A degree in the broader finance area will likely give international students a better shot to land a job at major banks with H1B sponsorship.
2. But if someone's goal is to work for an IBD/consulting firm (regardless in which country), then yes, Cornell's program with internship will yield a better chance for people to land a job in these sectors simply bcos of their recruiting cycle are in tune with Cornell's summer internship. That's the nature of a two year program.

However, for a PE/fund/developer job, I don't see an absolute advantage in doing an internship. They don't recruit as regularly as IBs at the begining of the fall semester. And you certainly see people get into these firms without a prior internship. Also FYI, some of my classmates have worked part time for funds/developers during the year, and they havn't received a full time job offer from their employers. So I guess it's different from firm to firm once you start looking outside of IBs.
19#
发表于 2011-3-19 12:07:14 | 只看该作者
Lovejiujiu说的很对,不过真的要想好自己要什么。
20#
发表于 2011-3-20 21:50:37 | 只看该作者
有关课本,Equn介绍了几本,也都是我们在用的。其他的我觉得可以等等,我个人认为今年他不应该再让大家读那么多本了。早买用不着怪费钱的。
To Sunflower, elective fail了问题不大,因为通常the number of electives we take都比学校要求的多不少。但如果你fail了core class就麻烦了。好好学就好了。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 07:25
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部