ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 3330|回复: 3

[Essay] Essay Question: Is it appropriate to have multiple short-term goals.

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-9-11 10:53:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hi All, I was wondering if in the short-term career goal question, can I put in multiple goals, given all these goals will lead to the realization of the long-term goals. For example if my long-term goal is to work in PE first and then set up my own fund, can I have my short-term goal as
1. investment banker in IBD.
2. principle investment department in a bank
3. investment analyst in one of the top PE.

My thinking is that having multiple but closely related short-term goals shows your flexibility, your knowledge in the industry and your goals are well-thoughted. However my concern is that it may leave a lack-of-focus impression.

Please shed some lights.
发表于 2010-9-13 01:18:03 | 显示全部楼层
Hey there!  I would be happy to help you think through this question my friend—the short answer is that NO, you will need just one short term goal.  Schools need clarity at all costs—if you show them that you are not targeted in your approach to your career, they will question your focus and commitment to your goals.  So you will want just ONE goal for sure.  Now, there is one instance where it is okay to allude to a second goal—as a BACKUP plan.  Schools know how hard it is to get jobs these days—they worry about this quite a bit.  So the one instance where you can allude to a second goal is as a backup plan.  “If I have trouble getting a job in this field, I can also look into THAT field where it will be easier for me to get a job, given my experience.  Either position would ready me for my long-term goal.”  This is the ONLY instance where a second short term goal would work my friend.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder,
jfrank@mba2005.hbs.edu
发表于 2011-10-5 11:56:47 | 显示全部楼层
对我现在思索的问题很有用处。谢谢jonfrank
发表于 2011-10-5 14:03:00 | 显示全部楼层
Just make a choice. They're not worried that you can't get the job (within reason- and all your choices look fine). They're more concerned about why you think that's the choice for you.

They're looking to understand how you think and make a decision, not how many options you can generate.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 04:20
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部