返回列表 发新帖
查看: 7857|回复: 25
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[原创]decline & withdraw (marketing)

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2008-3-19 20:21:00 | 只看该作者

[原创]decline & withdraw (marketing)

dear all, I am going to write letters to decline offers from the following schools:
minnesota, rochester, ubc, uiuc, purdue

withdraw: columbia, wustl, ucla. hkust

(rejected by chicago, wisconsin and nyu already..)

Wish all of you all the best! And everyone gets a good offer!

And happy Easter!

沙发
发表于 2008-3-19 21:37:00 | 只看该作者

may i ask where are u going?

板凳
发表于 2008-3-19 21:41:00 | 只看该作者
hehe, what offer will you accept???
地板
发表于 2008-3-19 21:46:00 | 只看该作者
super strong a.
5#
发表于 2008-3-19 22:15:00 | 只看该作者

好强啊,赞人品!

Thanks!

6#
发表于 2008-3-20 02:46:00 | 只看该作者

Where are you gonna pursue ur ph.D studies

7#
发表于 2008-3-20 02:54:00 | 只看该作者
申Marketing的人多强悍……
前有ttfan拿了both NYU & Columbia,现在又有lz withdraw from columbia ucla, declined n所。。
pfpf!
8#
发表于 2008-3-20 03:04:00 | 只看该作者
which offer you have already taken? anyway, thank you for sharing....
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-3-20 04:27:00 | 只看该作者

thanks everyone. i am going to northwestern.. because I am interested in empirical I.O. (Industrial Organization),  and NW gets the best team in I.O.. although the stipend is not the highest among all school, it does not entail any work in first year.  so i am quite happy about it.

I want to write something to share my experience although I think I am just lucky... but I am now travelling and no chinese input here.. to be short, my experience is:

my background:
- UG and Master in HK
- ranked 1st in UG, but not really very good in Master.
- major in economics, minor in maths
- Math coursework: multivariate calculus, statistics, algebra, real analysis
- Econ coursework: graduate level of micro-,macrotheory, advanced econometrics, industrial organization, time series

Work experience:
- 3 years in a leading european investment bank as an economist (i think this is very irrelevant to marketing program, but some programs told me that they wanna have ppl from diversified background. so they dont mind my lack of marketing experience. in fact i think many programs love students with economics and math background. in interviews, many prof. asked about my job and duties, i think it is a good chance for us to try to sell ourselves and show our strenghts when answering the question)

My experience:
- letters are very very very important. Without good letters, i think it is difficult to have interviews. Without interviews, it will be more difficult to get offer. Some interviewers told me that they are very interested in my profile because i have very good letters and courseworks. One professor told me that he writes in the letter, saying that he think my research potential can match his former students who are now studying marketing or economics in some very good schools such as ucla, chicago...etc. Another professor taught me econometrics. He has pointed that my econometrics is good and ranked 2nd out of a big class in my master year (i think he is too generous, i think i ranked much lower than 2nd). 

- GMAT is very very very unimportant. I just got 710 and my Q is very low. But no one cares. in fact I think my coursework in maths can prove that i m okay with mathematics.

- TOEFL.. I got 112/120. I dont know if it is important or not. i think it is like a minimum. U have to get 100 or 110 in order to get into some schools.

- Work experience: i think it is neither positive nor negative in application. I am lucky that my previous job is quite quantitative and stressful. So I use it to prove that I am comfortable with maths and stress.

- PS: this is VERY IMPORTANT i guess. A good PS can tell good stories and make people interested in you. In my PS, I talked about how and why I changed from Econ to Marketing. I explained why I did not go to PhD directly but worked for a few years. I also told people my research interest and why I think I can do well in these..   Actually I paid $$$ to an overseas agent to proof read my statement. It makes my whole statement MUCH better and i think the money is well spent.

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-3-20 4:32:44编辑过]
10#
发表于 2008-3-20 10:02:00 | 只看该作者

恭喜恭喜!

要像LZ看齐了!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 23:46
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部