返回列表 发新帖
查看: 1662|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

mgmt job market上有一位教授想要就Asians/Asian Americans在美国被歧视一事呼吁一篇essay或者editor

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2021-1-31 02:49:25 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
大家应该都知道mgmt有一个每年流传下来的google sheet。这应该是一位刚入职不久的教授。据他所说,这位的妻子是亚洲人,所以她在学术界收到了很多歧视。最近看到了一个帖子,有感而发,问了一个问题,然后收到了很多Asians和Asian Americans的关于自己如何在job market上被歧视以及一些department里面如何歧视亚洲人的回复。考虑到这种亚洲人在学术界被marginalized和歧视的现象很少被主流商科教授们意识或者重视到,这位(据他所说)正在联系一些朋友看是否能发布一篇essay或者editorial,呼吁大家的关注和改变。

在此分享一些Asian Americans/Asians被歧视的经历和想法,希望能够让大家警醒:我们黄种人是几乎不可能能够被白人主导的学术界接受的,更别说完全融入。不管是Asians还是Asian Americans都会被歧视,而唯一保证我们和我们的同胞的利益不被侵蚀的唯一办法是自救,是集合起来。

“URM and white students in my entire business school get benefits that the Asian students do not. For example, there were instances when Asian students failed comps and were not given the opportunity to retake them even though non-Asian students who failed comps once were given the opportunity. Also, one URM student was admitted into their program (not Management) with a GMAT score almost 200 points lower than one of the Asian applicants who interviewed. There's way worse stuff that I cannot go into detail about”

“Struggled to get mentorship; been told by ex advisor that I cannot do a type of research because of my ethnicity/gender. My experience is that Asians/Asian Americans are marginalized generally but there isn't enough discussion about it in diversity efforts. Somehow it seems "acceptable" to be discriminatory towards Asians”

“^ If I may add. I attended several diversity and inclusion discussions at my school. All of them either never bring up Asians or spend maybe 1% of the time acknowledging our existence. I stopped attending after repeatedly feeling marginalized.”

"As an Asian (not Asian American) who always use internal attribution for unfavorable situations ("must have been my verbal English" even though my verbal English is relatively good) and use external attribution for favorable situations ("I am so lucky"), I feel alright.... But maybe that's one reason why discrimination towards Asians/AAs is not taken seriously: many people like me but who actually recieved discrinimation get over it thinking it's their fault. Even though I still don't see myself as being discriminated, I've seen SCMs reluctant to bring in Asian or AA candidates (for both faculty and doctoral students) simply because Asians/AAs are already "overrepresented" in the department, even though the Asian/AA candidates are qualified"

"I am an Asian woman on the market, haven't got job yet, one of my committee members (I should mention this person is very nice to me and is a great mentor) is from a school that has a postdoc opening focusing on "underrepresented group" I emailed and asked for details, that person was like "er....we are focusing on under represented group..." Lol I guess asian women are never under represented."

"Simply put, no, they don't care. As long as you look like an Asian, it's totally irrelevant whether you're from China/SG/HK/Taiwan/Korea/Vietnam; whether you're born in the U.S. or not; whether you're half Asian half white or not; and so on. It doesn't matter. As long as you look like an Asian, those people will see you as an Asian, and you're discriminated, period."

"@Q - AP here. I have witnessed what you are saying many times. We once brought in an Asian American who was very American. He/She performed really well at the talk and interview, but I heard people on the SC say things like "well he/she must not be that good in methods then because he/she is so American"; Also heard, "this person is so loud. It must be fake.". Although I am not sure, if this person was White, he/she would not have been considered "loud" or "fake". This person was quite authentic but since Asians are known to be more timid, they attributed that this person is being fake. I was an assistant prof at the time, so I didn't say much (yes, I regret I didn't say anything). The person did not end up getting the job and we picked someone who was not as qualified as the Asian American. BTW, I'm at a top R1. Oh, to add on, the SC was made up of people who were both Asian and American and both groups were saying things about this Asian American candidate that had nothing to do with his/her qualifications."

"^^Y here. Z you're reading my mind. Now since you brought it up again let me put my two cents. It's very unrealistic to think that American Asians in general will be accepted by the White community as "White" and "American." I didn't reply to the second poster in Y's comment because I knew what I was going to say would have hurt his/her feelings and would have started an argument. The thing is, let's face it, American Asians almost receive the same amount of discrimination as any Asian not born in the U.S. in general. Why? Because people judge by how we look. Few White people honestly believe that Asian Americans are Americans when they look so much like Asians. On the very opposite, as long as you look like a White, you will receive the privilege of being a White and no one cares about your true origin. Unfair? Yes! But it's this how the world works? Most of use are already hugely advantaged compared with the real poor people. And what I feel especially sad about X' and the second poster's comments is that they identify so hard with an identity that few of people surrounding them really feel the same way, and overlook their true allies. To all the Asian Americans who have made to this comment: have some conversations with your parents or older Asian Americans. "

OP,即那位教授的最新comment:
[OP here] I am making progress putting together a diverse team to either push for an essay at AMLE or to potentially push for a special issue on the topic (another person, who is both African-American and Asian-American, suggested that there was too much to unpack for just an essay). Once it has momentum, I hope to step back from it and let others with greater personal legitimacy drive the discussion (i.e., I don't think this effort should be lead by someone who has personally experienced very little marginalization).

That said, this is an important topic to me for a lot of reasons, and I would like to personally continue this dialogue, both here and in other mediums. It's important because of my own multicultural household: Anglo-Hispanic-Asian. But this is also important to me as a URM that wants to work to improve URM representation in the Academy and in the US in general. Speaking soley for myself, for that, I think it is important to have the buy-in of other minority groups in the Academy (and in the US in general). And for that, the conversation we are having right now is necessary, as is me doing a lot of listening and hopefully answering questions.

Thank you for continuing to participate and continuing to share. I would really like to hear more and continue this discussion. I set up mr77dp83tz83(在) gmail.com as dummy email, because I don't want to share my identity on a public forum. If anyone wants to continue this conversation, provide feedback on my perspective on this, or give suggestions with regards to the hopeful AMLE essay, please email me, and I'll respond with my institutional email."

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TJA_SMhd7KBEC2wJsaGDvMEl2lMVFMN8H89ZvWWP_cc/edit#gid=0
link是这个,Catharsis的第二个post。希望各位可以看一下,分享给同是华人/亚洲人的同胞们,特别是已经在学术界有一些话语权的华人/亚洲人教授们。诚心希望这个话题能引起关注和重视,不仅仅是为了自己,更是为了千千万万的正在以及未来会在学术界遇到歧视的同胞们。最后很可能情况不会改善,但是如果改善了呢?

求大家将这个信息散布给更多的Asians/Asian Americans!!!

ps 分享已经得到OP的许可

收藏收藏1 收藏收藏1
沙发
发表于 2021-1-31 14:42:18 | 只看该作者
非常有意义的讨论,对asian和aa的歧视确实应该受到更多的关注。所幸现在开始有些学者关注该问题,jackson lu做了些asian leadership的研究,有兴趣的同学可以去翻一下。
板凳
发表于 2021-1-31 23:04:37 发自 iPhone | 只看该作者
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 16:48
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部