[咨询答疑] ..

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2018-3-31 04:49:20 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

收藏收藏2 收藏收藏2
沙发
发表于 2018-3-31 05:27:03 | 只看该作者
你也可以说Strategy是兼顾Quant和CB的方法。Quant和CB都可以是包括consumer choice和firm strategy两方面的(methodological wise categorization),而Strategy我觉得更多地侧重firm strategy (topic wise categorization),因此没有规定说必须要用psychological还是使用Analytical modeling还是Empirical/experimental modeling,完全看你自己了。

我觉得不必要太在乎这个categorization,你看看你program的training是不是有solid的经济系Micro和Metric sequence,然后看看faculty现在的working paper用的方法是不是你满意的,看看经济系有没有对头的老师可以做你的committee member,就有个大致概念了。不是说发在JM和JMR上就一定不够quant了,很多老师和院系发期刊可能会有些自己的口味的,重要的是是不是top journal以及内容是不是你满意的quant方法。同时,好的paper首先是topic吸引人,使用什么方法必须要量体裁衣,如果OLS可以的话何必用BLP, 如果reduced form可以的话为什么要用Structural?

上Job market的时候还是得看你推荐信看你publication看你JMP而不是你做的是不是Strategy的topic,你要是担心的话, 研究方向写Quant不要写Strategy就可以了。

最后的最后,不要看EJMR!不要看EJMR!不要看EJMR!
板凳
发表于 2018-3-31 05:59:47 | 只看该作者
First of all, yes, most top research schools don't have a specific strategy track. There're four top 20-30 departments with an established marketing strategy phd track are: UT Austin, UNC, Penn State and Indiana. I heard UNC was merging their quant and strategy tracks. The general trend is that marketing strategy research becomes more quantitative, with more sophisticated methods.

Secondly, you will definatley have a chance to be placed at an R1 (3/0) research school if you do marketing strategy research. I don't even think the chances are thinner than quant students. Marketing strategy has a really good job market in the past two years. It's a market with very small supply and an okay/stable demand. Last year there might be only 4 candidates from tranditionally good strategy program on the market. Iowa State took one sales candidate before the market starts. Indiana took one. Georgia Tech took the rest two. Some other good schools like Missouri, Arkansas, San Diego State didn't even fill up their strategy positions. Also, a LOT of schools, including some really good flagship state schools, now are trying to hire sales scholars who can develop and teach professtional sales classess. Sales is a niche market with probably 1:10 supply demand ratio... The only disadvantage about strategy market could be the fact that many schools hiring strategy candidates are in small towns...

Finally, you could position yourself as quant if your methods are sophisticated enough, not necessarily structural model. If you use deep learning or Bayesian methods to solve firm-level managerial relevant questions, you could consider to either say yourself as quant or strategy.
Btw, EJMR is full of trollers, jerks and losers. Some rumors are true but never take them too seriously.

地板
 楼主| 发表于 2018-3-31 14:02:40 | 只看该作者
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-3-31 14:06:55 | 只看该作者
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-3-31 14:08:02 | 只看该作者
7#
发表于 2018-3-31 16:33:47 | 只看该作者
Marketing的job market我不是很清楚,但如果你做firm decision并且quant的方法对得上你申请的学校的口味,那完全没有问题的。所以主要还是看recruit committee(或者说,那个系)想要什么样的quant。

总之,路都是敞开着,但具体情况还得4,5年后看,现在考虑具体的太早了。
8#
发表于 2018-3-31 16:37:25 | 只看该作者
skymarketing 发表于 2018-3-31 14:06
Thanks for the informative reply. I guess I will figure where do I fit after I enter my program... ...

Missouri is a very typical strategy program. I don't think they're even close to quant. But they have a very good reputation. If you're going to Missouri, you could do sales research with Lisa Scheer.

Some strategy programs are more quant-hybrid, like GSU, UNC and PSU
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-3-31 20:27:35 | 只看该作者
10#
发表于 2018-3-31 23:29:50 | 只看该作者
skymarketing 发表于 2018-3-31 20:27
Thanks a lot for clarifying...

Yes, Missouri marketing phd placements look decent given the overa ...

我插一脚,我不觉得quant和strategy是mutually exclusive的分类。你做得东西绝对可以即符合quant又符合strategy,当然可以说自己又是quant又是strategy。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 02:57
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部