Boston University & Northwestern Kellogg Marketing (CB) PhD 面经

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2018-2-3 17:29:14 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Northwestern Kellogg
01/23 02:30am

1 Discuss one current paper that interests you
2 If Amazon contacts you now and gives you all the resources you need, what idea would you like to work on?

Boston University Questrom02/02 9pm

Research project experience
How to cope with failure in experiments
Why PhD
Research interest
Why BU Questrom
Why research
How was your exchange experience in the states

收藏收藏19 收藏收藏19
沙发
发表于 2018-2-3 19:02:44 | 只看该作者
LZ加油....看来你Kellogg面试困难的原因果然是因为是MKT CB啊..
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2018-2-4 09:27:47 | 只看该作者
ttee1996 发表于 2018-2-3 19:02
LZ加油....看来你Kellogg面试困难的原因果然是因为是MKT CB啊..

谢谢w 你也加油!话说Kellogg有给你回音么?
地板
发表于 2018-2-4 12:24:32 来自手机 | 只看该作者
naikolily 发表于 2018-2-4 09:27
谢谢w 你也加油!话说Kellogg有给你回音么?

我也没,估计下周出吧
5#
发表于 2018-2-4 21:42:50 | 只看该作者
做quant的飘过。没想到西北面的东西还挺难的,LZ好运!!
6#
发表于 2018-2-6 03:58:41 | 只看该作者
Hi LZ, if you do not mind, may I ask if you can share a bit info of your profile, please?
7#
发表于 2018-2-6 08:00:15 | 只看该作者
Kellogg is a very harsh program, don't get too upset. It could even be a good thing if you fail to get in.

As for programs like BU, their brand names won't help much on the job market but it won't hurt your chances either. I would say only candidates from top private schools and Berkeley have privileges on the job market. Not many differences among the rest.

If you haven't made up your mind on doing a CB phd, think twice. The job market for CB is systematicly tough (the worst job market in the B-school). Getting an A publication before the job market is becoming more and more difficult unless you have something under review before entering the program. But schools are still raising their bars. Teaching is also very important if you want to land in a US research school. Your success on the job market is highly depended on how well you can communicate. For Chinese students, it could even matter more than your research. If you don't think you're fully prepared for all of them, doing a master or working for a while could be good options.
8#
发表于 2018-2-6 08:13:59 | 只看该作者
zjq407 发表于 2018-2-6 08:00
Kellogg is a very harsh program, don't get too upset. It could even be a good thing if you fail to g ...

Good day mate, Thank you very much for your valuable information.

If you don't mind, could you please tell a little more about the job market for other fields (e.g., industrial relations and organization theory)? My current major is HR, but my interest is Organization Theory. A senior PhD candidate told me HR and IR would not be fairly promising in Business Schools and he suggested me not to apply to HR & IR programs if I want to land a job in Business Schools 5 years later. Would you mind telling me if it is true?

9#
 楼主| 发表于 2018-2-6 09:27:57 | 只看该作者
zjq407 发表于 2018-2-6 08:00
Kellogg is a very harsh program, don't get too upset. It could even be a good thing if you fail to g ...

谢谢详细的回复和信息!
我确实能够从Kellogg面试的氛围中感受到他们的harsh,sigh,感觉里面的phd应该挺苦逼的……而且曾经哪里看到过rumor说他们是为数不多可能会中途踢人的项目?也不知道准确性~
Top private school指的是top10 tier的吗?是不是就是Stanford, Duke, Yale, Wharton, Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, USC Marshall (?), Harvard?我不确定还有没有别的?这些项目如果好好认认真真跟着导师读,是不是哪怕出不来A-publication也还是可能在美国找到教职的?
Teaching那点我觉得说的很中肯,我个人是英语口语没有任何问题,就是临场反应有时不大好,中文表达有时候都说不大出来,教课、communicate什么的我不大敢确定能不能锻炼出来。
总之,非常谢谢!看你过去的帖子好象快上job market了,加油哦!w
10#
发表于 2018-2-6 10:42:45 | 只看该作者
naikolily 发表于 2018-2-6 09:27
谢谢详细的回复和信息!
我确实能够从Kellogg面试的氛围中感受到他们的harsh,sigh,感觉里面的phd应该挺 ...

Every year, there're students dropping out from Kellogg phd programs--it's a fact not a rumor...

In my opinion, if you can graduate from those top programs (USC might not be, NYU is), you would have much higher chance to find a job in good Asian schools. But still, it cannot guarantee your academic job in the US, even if you have A publication(s).

US job market is way more complicated. Many factors would play a role--research fit, teaching needs, connections, timing, diversity concern... Top 30 research schools have really high bars for CB candidates now. You often need to have high quality A publications with interesting and promising topics. Top private schools would also question your ability to teach MBA if you have no working experience or you're a non-native speaker. Several top schools are hiring CB candidates every year but they often end up getting no one or advanced AP.

Lower ranked research schools (after t50) and balanced schools often care more about what you can teach. They want people to teach marketing analytics, digital marketing and sales classes. So that's why our quant and managerial friends have way better job market than us.

I'm not discouraging you. But I guess you don't have much exposure of this career yet. I highly suggest you to have more preparation before stepping into this career--doing a master, finding a full-time RA or even working in some marketing analytics firms. They will benefit you in the long run.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 19:05
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部