查看: 6469|回复: 16

背景(本科上海交大,低GPA,gmat760),求牛牛们帮忙分析申请策略

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-7-20 13:00:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
各位牛牛们好,我目前本科毕业工作三年,之前没怎么接触过留学申请,所以比较迷茫,求一些建议。
关于背景:本科是SJTU Computer Science,GPA较低(3出头)。
毕业之后在IBM做了一年IT咨询,目前在四大做了两年内控和并购相关的咨询(做了不少互联网行业的并购尽调等,在公司内部属于top员工)。
一二级市场投资均有涉及,对了,CICPA已基本通过,所以Accounting这块应该算基础不错了,对互联网行业领域也算有些认知,因为圈子还是程序员较多。
GMAT 760,托福还没考,英语基础较差,目标应该105以上或110左右。个人认为比较特殊的是TMT加财务金融的复合背景,不知道能否以这个作为亮点,因为在接触互联网行业并购的过程中觉得这个背景还是非常有用的(互联网行业业务理解+前景发展预测+财务尽调model等)。
方向:想去美国,未来职业方向想做并购或一级市场投资或合作创业。
目前还没开始申请和选择学校。
想求一些院校选择和申请过程的建议,非常感谢!

发表于 2017-7-20 15:32:45 | 显示全部楼层
楼主的背景还是很不错的,但涉及转行,还是要花时间把目标院校调研下。
传送下版上对择校的精华帖:http://forum.chasedream.com/thread-1302511-1-1.html

申请过程:尽量赶早,R1, R2申请,能有机会获得奖学金,后面的轮次基本没可能
                 好好准备ESSAY, 推荐信,和CV。

希望能对楼主有所帮助

楼主| 发表于 2017-7-20 16:06:37 | 显示全部楼层
Fiona09 发表于 2017-7-20 15:32
楼主的背景还是很不错的,但涉及转行,还是要花时间把目标院校调研下。
传送下版上对择校的精华帖:http:// ...

多谢多谢~择校这块,除了直接去挖校友和官网外,还有什么可以比较深刻了解学校是否适合自己的方法吗?
发表于 2017-7-21 09:43:36 | 显示全部楼层
Dear friend,
Thanks so much for writing!
Okay so let’s jump in and have a look at your profile.

Strengths:
- GMAT
- Two brand name employers
- TOEFL?

Weaknesses
- IT Candidate
- No name school
- So-so GPA

Actually if you would like to give you a  full-on evaluation I would need a LOT more info from you - titles, promotions, greatest achievements, volunteer work, sports, community service, religious involvement, leadership.. etc. before I can give you a real evaluation.

For now, very roughly, I would say your background will put you in the range of 5-15 in the US if that is your goal.

Feel free to revert to me with more detail, and I will gladly advise you further,

Best,
Jon Frank
 楼主| 发表于 2017-7-21 10:09:59 | 显示全部楼层
JonFrank 发表于 2017-7-21 09:43
Dear friend,
Thanks so much for writing!
Okay so let’s jump in and have a look at your profile.

Hi Jon,
Thanks a lot for your response.

About my school, it's a top 5 university in China and located in Shanghai, many of my classmates or schoolmates are in HBS/Standford/CMU(IT)/… or in Goldman Sachs/Google/… . In a word, it's only next to Peking and Tsinghua University in China.

About IT Candidate, i know it will be hard to compete with students with financial degree. But is it possible to become one of my unique points or something different? You know although i learned CS, but i got CICPA and participated in some TMT M&A transactions during work, could it possibly explain my career path and effort?

About GPA, that's a weak point definately :(

And i didn't have any social activity such as volunteer work or something, will it matter a lot?

Thanks again!

发表于 2017-7-21 16:24:27 | 显示全部楼层
sensitive 发表于 2017-7-21 10:09
Hi Jon,
Thanks a lot for your response.

Hello there,
Thanks for the information about the school! I will keep in noted

I think at this point the biggest question will be: What is your story? what is unique about you? How are you better or different than other candidates?
Sure, having M&A transaction work is great, but still it’s not that which will fundamentally change your profile.

The thing we are looking for here - a new angle.

As for lack of volunteer work, it’s not the end of the world, but it’s better to have some. I gives a broader sense of character and shows that you know how to give back!

I hope this helps.
If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate.

Best,
Jon Frank
发表于 2017-7-22 23:35:16 | 显示全部楼层
JonFrank 发表于 2017-7-21 16:24
Hello there,
Thanks for the information about the school! I will keep in noted

Hi Jon,
I know B school value candidate who have passion to serve the community. While my volunteer experience is not for a NGO or charity, it's kind of like Part-time job. Do you think it's worthy to mention in my resume or essay? E.g., volunteer for several sports competition like ATP/F1/Golf as hospitality;  translator for a musical in back stage, etc.

Much appreciate your advice!

Best,
Pinky
发表于 2017-7-25 09:56:05 | 显示全部楼层
pinky_song 发表于 2017-7-22 23:35
Hi Jon,
I know B school value candidate who have passion to serve the community. While my voluntee ...

Hello there,

Good to hear from you.

Could you give me a bit more detail about what you are doing and your question. It wasn’t entirely clear. Do you mean to say that you do a lot of hours, and that is why it’s like a part-time job? Or do you mean to say you are being paid for it?

In general, any type of volunteer work or NGO work can be beneficial to your profile.

If you get back to me with more detail, I shall be better in place to advise you.

All the best,
Jon Frank
发表于 2017-7-25 10:59:33 | 显示全部楼层
JonFrank 发表于 2017-7-25 09:56
Hello there,

Good to hear from you.

Hi Jon,
    Thanks for your reply. Well, to be more specific, I did 10+ volunteer works when I was in college, mostly as a translator to a musical or an exhibition, and hospitality for some huge sports events. But I think these are more like a Part-time job instead of traditional volunteer activities. Get paid is a part of the reason, on the other hand, there's no leadership in this kind of story.  
     So i'm wondering if it is worthwhile to be mentioned in my essay or resume. There're several unique experience indeed, but I'm not sure whether it's a highlight point or not.

Best,
Pinky
发表于 2017-7-25 16:36:07 | 显示全部楼层
申请的时候还是在四大的pool里面,每个人都有自己的故事,关键还是怎么去说自己未来的career goal。大部分big 4读MBA的都会希望未来通过自己的财务背景做IB或者PE,所以很容易撞车。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:49
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部