返回列表 发新帖
查看: 308054|回复: 332
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Briefing of 30 Top Business Schools

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2005-8-13 13:15:00 | 只看该作者

Briefing of 30 Top Business Schools

Recently  I am reading "Your MBA Game Plan". It is quite well written, and it provides a lot of information. There is one section in the book that introduces the differences among all the top schools. I try to transfer some of the information to CD so you all can take a look at. Credits are given to the authors of the book: Omari Bouknight & Scott Shrum. Please do not use the following excerpt for any business purposes. And Mr. Zeros please erase this message if copyright is concerned.

It is very difficult to scan the book. So I have to type the entire passage from scratch. It is impossible for me to finish all 30 schools in a short period of time since I myself am in the application process too. So I will do one school each time. Response which schools you want to read first. I will work on the school that gets the most responses. Certainly if someone here has the same book and would like to share the excerpts, you are more than welcome to add the schools.

Please pardon my typos. I type it, not just copy and paste.

1. Columbia: Since all of my NYC CDER friends are applying Columbia,  except for my self, I will start with this one first. (2nd Floor)

2. TUCK: My most favourite school. TUCK rockSSSSSS!!! (9th Floor)

3. DUKE: I think it is the most underrated school. (16th Floor)

4. MIT (17th Floor)

5. Michigan (25th Floor)

6. NYU (26th Floor)

7. UT Austin (32nd Floor)

8. Harvard (33rd Floor) ------> The King

9.Stanford (42nd Floor) -------> The Queen

10.Anderson(46th Floor)

11.Berkely (47th)

12.Kellogg (53rd)

13.Wharton (58th)

14.Chicago (64th)

15.Indiana (65th)

16.INSEAD (71st)

17.LBS (73rd)

18.Darden (77th)

19.Broad (78th)

20.Ivey (84th)

21.Cornell (85th)

22. Emory (88th)

23. CMU (89th)

24. Yale (90th)

25. UNC (91st)

26. USC (92nd)

27. Rochester (93rd)

28. Owen (95th)

29. Purdue (98th)

30. Maryland (99th)

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2005-8-13 13:17:00 | 只看该作者

Columbia

Make no mistake, Columbia is a finance school above all else. Students rave about the school’s finance faculty and the access that they have to top Wall Street executives. The alumni network doesn’t hurt either – nearly every Wall Street firm is stacked with Columbia alumni. The result is that most finance-minded applicants consider Columbia. If you are one of them, you will need to especially focus on differentiating yourself from a large pool of similar-sounding applicants. Therefore, start thinking now about what makes you different from the rest of the investment bankers (and aspiring bankers) who apply to Columbia.

As you might expect, Columbia’s core curriculum is heavy in finance and related courses. First-years take required courses in Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, and Global Economics. Among others. Non-finance topics such as Marketing and Strategy, however, are studied in half-term courses. While these courses are also strong, be aware that much of your time will be spent on finance-related topics. Of course, you will there fore need to demonstrate an ability to handle a quantitative workload, ideally through your GMAT score and relavant work experience.

One academic area that Columbia emphasizes outside of finance is entrepreneurship. Some of the schools’ most popular electives include “Introduction ot Venturing” and “Launching New Ventures.” Entrepreneurship is also studied and pursued outside of the classroom. Launched in 1996, the Eugene Land Entrepreneurial Initiative Fund provides  seed capital ot worthy business plans crafted by Columbia students. The Fund acts less like a traditional business plan competition and more like a venture capital firm, taking an equity stake in any Columbia start-up with promise For students looking for a more conventional business plan competition, Columbia has joined forces with UC Berkeley’s Hass School of Business to run the Social Venture Competition, which provides seed money to promising start-ups whose goal is to have a positive social impact. The bottom line is that if you are interested in an MBA for entrepreneurial reasons, let the Columbia admissions committee hear about it in your essays and your interview.

Columbia also emphasizes that international aspect of its curriculum. Each semester, the schools’ Chazen Institute of International Business offers fellowships to up to four students for their in advancing Columbia’s global approach both inside and outside of the school. The Chazen Institute also runs an exchange program the gives students the opportunity to study abroad at one of 22 partner schools, as well as participate in international study tours. Keep this in mind as you craft your story for why you will fit in at Columbia.

Although they acknowledge that their peers are competitive, students and grads emphasize that Columbia is not cutthroat environment. Most consider Columbia to be a competitive but respectful and helpful community.  Students spend their entire first year in the same cluster of 6 0students, taking their core classes together. Like other schools, Columbia encourages cooperation and trust within these clusters. As such, you will need to demonstrate the ability to get along with your peers. Also, like other schools in big cities, Columbia sometimes has to battle the reputation that its students spend less time on campus with each other. Demonstrating your enthusiasm for the program and a willingness to get involved in extracurricular activities will help show that you don’t fit this stereotype.

Columbia’s other departments aren’t as well known as its finance department, and some grads have commented that these other departments take a backseat to finance. However, the school’s administration has a reputation for going out of its way to respond to students’ concerns. If you are interested in an area outside of finance, particularly something as far as removed such as organizational behavior or nonprofit management, Columbia may be worth a look. Your interest outside of finance alone will help you stand out, provided that you can prove that you have the quantitative skills and business acumen to learn alongside the finance crowd.

板凳
发表于 2005-8-13 13:35:00 | 只看该作者

ding!

地板
发表于 2005-8-13 15:30:00 | 只看该作者
好文!下面来个NYU Stern如何?
5#
发表于 2005-8-13 23:34:00 | 只看该作者

how about tuck?

thank louzhu anyway even if other schools come first.

6#
发表于 2005-8-14 13:39:00 | 只看该作者
yup, i also want to read about tuck.

btw,eeyupyup,GREAT WORK

7#
发表于 2005-8-14 18:31:00 | 只看该作者
thanks for your great work!!!
8#
发表于 2005-8-16 05:08:00 | 只看该作者

[glow=500,#88E7FF,8]

期待下文!

Thanks, eeyupyup!

[/glow]

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-16 5:12:47编辑过]
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2005-8-17 06:49:00 | 只看该作者

Tuck

Think Small. Think intimate. Think great outdoors. That’s exactly what life at Tuck is all about. The country’s first graduate school of business offers one of the smallest programs among the top 30 schools, with fewer than 250 students in each class. The small class size – coupled with the school’s location in rural Hanover, New Hampshire – results in a close-knit community in which everyone knows everyone else.

Academically, Tuck’s MBA program focuses on turning out competent general managers. Most of the first year curriculum consists of core courses in the main management disciplines, with the second year left open for electives. No specific majors are offered. First year students complete most of their coursework in the same study group, which Tuck emphasizes as a way for students to grow closer and develop their teamwork skills. More than the average top program, Tuck is looking for students who demonstrate strong teamwork skills, so make sure that this is a main theme in your Tuck application.

Tuck is also serious about leadership, and one unique part of the first year experience is the Tuck Leadership Forum, which runs throughout the first year. The Forum is a series of mini-courses in topics such as management communication and entrepreneurial management, al designed to help improve students’ leadership skills. Students then complete a team project, such as creating a business plan or doing consulting work for an existing business. The program also provides students with a chance to work closely with faculty and plug into Tuck’s alumni network while still in school.

Speaking of the alumni, what Tuck lacks in size is made up for in devotion. Tuck’s alumni have been described by some as fierce in their loyalty to the school and to each other. Tuck touts its alumni’s 60 percent plus annual giving rate as further evidence of this dedication. While the school may not have alum in every company, Tuck students are known to get good results from the alumni they do call upon. In your own application, make sure that you can provide convincing proof that you, too, will be active alum, preferably by demonstrating loyalty to your undergraduate school.

Tuck’s remote location means that it is not for everyone. Some applicants, especially those with spouses, often find it difficult to relocate to Hanover. To its credit, Tuck goes out of its way to make the transition a smooth one, often providing spouses and partners with fulltime work around campus. Still, only slightly more than half of Tuck’s admitted applicants actually enroll in the program. This means two things for you: 1 Make sure that you really want to attend Tuck before you apply. It’s a great school, but its size and location sometimes turn people off. Save yourself a lot of time if your think these aspects of the program will be a problem for you. 2. Even more importantly, you really need d to demonstrate why Tuck is for you. Tuck’s students tend to be passionate about their school, and you need to demonstrate this same passion in your application. Visiting the school – especially for your interview – can go a long way toward helping you make your case. Also, think about applying in Tuck’s Early Action round if you are sure that Tuck is where you want to be. This relatively new program is a great chance for you to show your commitment to the school.

Tuck isn’t the household name that Stanford and Harvard are, but its general management program is known to be one of the best in the country. Tuck graduates have a strong reputation in consulting and financial services, particularly on the East Coast, where nearly two-thirds of its graduates end up living after school. If you are considering a career in general management, or are interested in consulting or banking, don’t overlook Tuck. If you can demonstrate that the school’s environment is right for you, and make a case for why the general management approach is what you want out of business school, then Tuck will give your application strong consideration

10#
发表于 2005-8-17 10:39:00 | 只看该作者

好人啊

能不能麻烦贴一下michigan呢?

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 14:57
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部