ChaseDream
搜索
12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 7080|回复: 10
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Ph.D. finance, Rutgers(NJ) Vs. Temple(PA)

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2005-5-4 04:07:00 | 只看该作者

Ph.D. finance, Rutgers(NJ) Vs. Temple(PA)

I am accepted by the Ph.D. finance program at Rutgers University(NJ) and Temple University(PA). Both schools did not give me any funding. Chance to get funding within 4 years at both schools is very low (Rutgers-less than 5%, Temple-less than 20%). After my calculation (4 years' tuition and living cost), if I choose to go to Rutgers, I have to pay about US$48,000 or US$80,000 more. Rutgers ranking in business Ph.D. research is better than Temple. But does it worth paying additional money? Which school should I choose? Is Rutgers substantially better than Temple in terms of seeking a teaching job in the U.S. after graduation?

沙发
发表于 2005-5-4 05:29:00 | 只看该作者
Studying Ph.d without financial support is really painful. You are not
sure you can graduate within 4 years.  Do think about it before
jumping into it unless you are very richful and really interested in
research.

板凳
发表于 2005-5-4 09:14:00 | 只看该作者
finance PhD without money? First heard of such programs...
地板
发表于 2005-5-4 11:41:00 | 只看该作者
还是恭喜你了!
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2005-5-4 12:01:00 | 只看该作者

Thanks for your response.

Some schools give scholarships to all accepted students. Other schools give scholarships to some of the accepted students. So, it is not unusual for Ph.D. finance students to pay his/her tuition and/or cost of living. The schools I refer to is ranked 1-200. The better the ranking, the better the support. Whether one can get funding depends on his/her credentials.

6#
发表于 2005-5-4 13:43:00 | 只看该作者
Well, I agree with iambird: only if you're rich enough may you want tostudy phd without funding! But in that case you'll not care about theadditional cost of attending Rutgers. But I guess even Rutgers can notbe ranked within top 40 programs so if I were you I would probably notgo to any of these two unless they agree to give support starting fromsecond year (conditional on good performance). The normal length ofstudy for finance phd these days is 5 years and many people spent 6 or7 years. It's up to you, though.  Good luck!
7#
发表于 2005-5-4 17:28:00 | 只看该作者

请教楼主

全部费用才4.8-8w usd?

8#
 楼主| 发表于 2005-5-5 02:06:00 | 只看该作者

Reply to imbird and luckocean: I am not rich at all. If I decide to go, I have to draw a loan probably. Rutgers requires self-support students (students accepted without funding) to pay 4 years tuition by themselves. Temple said new students can apply scholarship starting from the second year but there is no guarantee.

Reply to mablechen: Thank you.

Reply to eternalwind: already replied.

Reply to rings: Rutger's total cost is 48k or 80k "MORE" than Temple's total cost. This calculation is based on no funding from both schools for four years . Rutger's four year tuition plus living cost is about 145K. Temple's four year tuition plus living cost is about 85K.

9#
发表于 2005-5-5 02:16:00 | 只看该作者

PhD of finance without funding? That's really refreshing. hehe. So far as I know, for a decent program, the PhD students are all supported, at least by TA or RA.Anyway, if you don't worry about money, just go ahead. Another suggestion is go to Rutgers University. That's a better one.

10#
发表于 2005-5-5 13:31:00 | 只看该作者

It's true that some doctoral programs would admit students without financial aid. This is my personal experience:

Two months ago I wrote to a professor at Rutgers Univ., telling him that I was interested in their program and attaching my brief background with that email. He replied that though he was interested in me, the problem was that the program already extended three offers to qualified applicants (because it''s already late March and their deadline had passed more than one month). Thus though he still encouraged me to apply, he also reminded me that it's possible that I have to support myself if all thoses three 1st-round candidates accepted their offer, since Rutgers is a  public school and couldn't spare extra money for an additional student.

Though I did not apply Rutgers at last (because I got another's school offer several days later), the experience of corresponding with that professor told me that " IT IS COMPLETELY POSSIBLE FOR A PHD PROGRAM IN B-SCHOOL TO ADMIT STUDENTS WITHOUT FINANCIAL SUPPORT", depends on which kind of school does one apply.

It's usually true that schools will offer fellowship or TA/RA for inoming PhD students, especially in private schools and more prestigious public schools, but this is not saying that getting an admission from a school is equavalent to getting money from them.

To Chopin1241:

If I were you, I would go to the place where I have greater probablity of getting financial aid from the second year. If you could get money from Temple, then the cost gap between these two schools would be much wider than 48,000 or $80,000. Moreover, though Rutgers is certainly better in terms of ranking, I don't think it worh so much money. Temple is quite prestigious in the field of international business studies (their one-year master's program in interntaional business is famous both domestically and globally); though I am not sure whether they have any faculty specialized in international finance, probably you can try to see if you can take advantage of this part, if you are also interested in internatioanl dynamics.

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-5-5 13:34:22编辑过]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 21:03
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部