ChaseDream
搜索
12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 8632|回复: 15
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[Essay] 写作“Why School”文书的方法 The answer to "HOW DO I WRITE THE “WHY SCHOOL X” ESSAY?

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2015-3-13 16:07:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
People always ask this kind of question: How do I answer the MBA essay question,“Why Wharton?” or “Why Booth? ” or “Why School X?” How do I answer this question differently than everybody else?

Ahhhhh! An excellent question. Think of it this way—how do you “prove” to a girl you love her? (Or to a guy you love him?) By saying “I love you”??? Nah. That only works on TV (although it does help!) But when you say it in the right way, it will be believed.

What is the right way? When you REALLY DO love the school, you know the school inside out and are really excited about the possibilities it will open up. (Kind of like real love.)

Real love ain’t surface-y. It’s not all about looks and prestige and reputation. Real love involves a deep understanding and a personal and specific connection to what makes the school special TO YOU.

So if you haven’t already, you gotta do your research. Find out everything you can about that school that is right for YOU and YOUR goals, and will HELP you achieve your goals. Keep your own personal background and pursuits in mind here. Because that school you want, it doesn’t have to be everybody’s soul mate, but in this essay it has to be yours:

•   What are some of the centers on campus that relate to your goals? What initiatives, events, and research happens there that will benefit you?
  •   What are some special events the school puts together that relate to your goals? Conferences? Visiting professionals? Talks?
  •   Are there clubs that specifically match what you’re working on?
  •   Professors whose work you admire, classes you’re dying to take?
  •   Something about their study abroad or other travel opportunities that speaks to your specific interests?

And then take it one step further: actually reach out to people in those groups/classes/etc. Visit the school and talk topeople, sit in on a class, visit with the AdCom. Get as much specific info as you can so you can put it all in your essay and really make it convincing. If you’re writing a love poem to your sweet heart, do you write about their “brownhair” or their “hair the color of roasted chestnuts”? (Ok, both of those are cheesy and cliche, but you get the idea. One is generic, the other shows you are so into them that you not only noticed their hair was brown, but you noticed the exact shade.)

AdComs need to be wooed a little in that way. So when you get all that specific information that proves why you two are perfect together, you can gush about all of it in your application. Explain to the school how, without a doubt, this is the best school for you and you’re the best guy or gal for that school.

If you have any questions about your own MBA applications, ask them in the comments or send me a private message. I'm happy to help!

收藏收藏55 收藏收藏55
沙发
发表于 2015-3-13 21:50:31 | 只看该作者
thanks for sharing.....
板凳
发表于 2015-3-28 18:37:10 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon, thanks for sharing. I am not sure whether it is appropriate to ask you questions here. But I think maybe your answers will be enlightening to some other guys so I am posting my questions here.

I am struggling to make choice among several schools.  I got offer from Tepper (20,000 per year), Olin ( 40,000 per year), PSU (full $$ + GA), Notre Dame (full $$ ) and vanderbilt (full $$).

I have been working in operations and supply chain for 8 years (6 years China and 2 years Hong Kong) and I hope to work in supply chain for product based company in USA after graduation.

I love Notre Dame most because of its reputation and culture. But there is no concentration in supply chain in ND and insufficient employment data in this function in 2014. I am not sure whether lacking concentration in my function will make a negative impact to find a job.

My second choice is PSU and Vandy. I know PSU is very strong at supply chain but I prefer Vandy because it is a private school with better ranking. I investigated the employment report and I found the job placement of supply chain is not bad in vandy but with smaller percentage compared with PSU.

Because of money issue, I  will probably give up Tepper and I have no feeling about Olin.  Considering my career goal and willing to working in USA, would you please give me some comments?  Thank you very much~
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2015-3-31 00:28:42 | 只看该作者
正能量Angela 发表于 2015-3-28 18:37
Hi Jon, thanks for sharing. I am not sure whether it is appropriate to ask you questions here. But I ...

Sure thing!
Well actually from what you  you have written, my advice would be that you go Tepper. From all the schools you got into, it is by far the best. It is in another league altogether from all the others, as a Tier 1 school. And this is reflected in the average salaries, which to take an example for Tepper is about 135K$ per year, and at Olin, the next best school it’s about 110K$, which means that in two years or working you have already made that money back. You got into a fantastic school, and unless you have reasons other than money for not going to Tepper, it seems to me to be the best choice.

Of course before you make your final decision, I would totally urge you to visit all the schools if you can,

Hope this helps,
Best,
Jon
5#
发表于 2015-3-31 23:28:19 | 只看该作者
JonFrank 发表于 2015-3-31 00:28
Sure thing!
Well actually from what you  you have written, my advice would be that you go Tepper.  ...

Thank you very much for your help~~
6#
发表于 2015-4-17 14:09:17 | 只看该作者
Thanks for sharing!
7#
发表于 2015-4-17 15:05:51 | 只看该作者
"When you REALLY DO love the school, you know the school inside out and are really excited about the possibilities it will open up."

- Exactly!
8#
发表于 2015-4-21 11:11:45 | 只看该作者
感谢分享!               
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2015-6-1 12:26:43 | 只看该作者
Do you know how to write "why school" essay?
10#
发表于 2015-9-21 21:24:54 | 只看该作者
文书好贴,收藏!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-24 06:41
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部