搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 3783|回复: 9

[求助]先申请master,以后在读相同专业的phd

[复制链接]
发表于 2005-2-7 20:45:00 | 显示全部楼层

[求助]先申请master,以后在读相同专业的phd

听说PHD都是同时授Master和doctor两个学位。

要是先申请到了某个专业的master,毕业了再申请相同专业的phd,能申请到好学校的PHD吗?

我愚钝的问题请各位牛人指教!

发表于 2005-2-7 20:49:00 | 显示全部楼层
要看去哪个国家的,你去哪个国家呢?
发表于 2005-2-7 20:56:00 | 显示全部楼层

一般来是ph.d都是学制5年+1年的延期

大概在2年到3年的时候有个qualification test

一般是分paper和oral两部分,一共有2次机会

如果qualify没过,就给你一个master degree让你走人

如果pass 了,才算是正式ph.d 学生

据我所知(如果错了,请大家更正)。美国并不象国内似的

可以读完一个master,然后再换一个学校,读master之后的2-3年,然后拿个学位

美国的ph.d program就是5年制的。但是由于美国是学分制度,很多大学的学分是互相承认的,特别是公立学校。

所以你在别的学校学master所修的credit是可以transfer到新的学校的。这样客观上达成一个结果

就是你可以再学2-3年内,修完所有的学分,然后毕业。

我见很多这样的例子,都是在一个学校读2年,拿个master学位;然后换到另一个学校,再读2-3年

毕业,拿的是ph.d degree.

发表于 2005-2-7 22:30:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用colacat在2005-2-7 20:56:00的发言:

毕业,拿的是ph.d degree.

A lot of schools, usually top schools can not transfer credits from other schools. They require you to study for another 5+ years.

But sometims it is open to argue with the school.

发表于 2005-2-8 00:35:00 | 显示全部楼层

Just another comment, not every university will give you a master before you get a PhD, because they are afraid that you will transfer to other university or look for job after you get a master.

发表于 2005-2-8 02:10:00 | 显示全部楼层

可以读完一个master,然后再换一个学校,读master之后的2-3年,然后拿个学位

毕业,拿的是ph.d degree.

那为什么要换一个学校呢?在同学校内不可这样转吗?

发表于 2005-2-15 09:55:00 | 显示全部楼层

Note: what I am talking about only allpies to FINANCE and ACC PHD, I dont know the information on the other majors in B-school.  And please correct me if I am wrong.

most of the finance PHD programs, some accounting PHD programs, require ECON minor, which means you need take 5-6 doctoral ECON courses, and they may even ask you to take ECON COMprehensive. in this case, if the school only waives the ECON courses for the incoming transferring student with ECON master, but not the ECON COM, it doesnt make any sense. you do have to retake those ECON courses, which probably costs you 1.5 to 2 years. Plus, the master level ECON courses are much much easier than doctoral level ECON courses. Loosely speaking, the master level ECON in US equals to under level ECON in China; the doctoral level in US is harder than same level in China. You do have the right to bargain with your new school, but my guess is unless you hold a ECON DR, you can't waive.

Typically, the other core courses of the PHD program are 4 seminars, which are actually paper discussion in some specific fields, and term papers, and sometimes final exams. Its totally impossible to waive such kind of seminars.

Lastly, in US, the master education and PHD education in B-School are in different tracks. I seldomly see person can get a master degree when he is doing PHD work, either PHD, or nothing. there might be such cases in science major, but not in B-school.

发表于 2005-2-15 13:58:00 | 显示全部楼层

For doctoral studies, Masters are just awarded as a kind of formality, except for MBA (professional degrees). To some degree, having a research Masters degree (MS) may help your application in case that you considerably improve your credentials rather than only earning a degree. Generally speaking, this kind of degree is not separately available in most B-schools, except for MIS-related majors. However, if you drop out from a phd program, you can always end up with getting such a degree. So, if you are not applying for a masters in MIS, do NOT count on too much getting such a degree in b-school to increase your chance. But you can still consider some related MA/MS degrees. Lastly, keep one thing in mind- having MS degrees (no matter how many you may have) does not reduce the time for your phd degree. Hope this helps.

楼主| 发表于 2005-2-16 20:05:00 | 显示全部楼层
很谢谢大家提供的信息。我去美国的。
 楼主| 发表于 2005-2-16 20:16:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复:(Brettthompson)For doctoral studies, Maste...

谢谢Brettthompson

你的意思是不是:除非显著地提高申请PHD的其它方面的实力,否则光拿个相关专业的硕士(管理信息系统的硕士除外)对申请博并无多大帮助?

还有,“Masters are just awarded as a kind of formality, except for MBA (professional degrees). ”professional degree是什么东东?

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:49
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部