[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-10-14 17:15:37 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
更新了一篇计划书,求斧正:
计划书: http://linkd.in/1xMPOfB

如果点不开,可以试试这个地址:http://www.maxwellzhou.com/?p=871
简要背景:
国内TOP10本科实验班转学美国State Flagship,本科GPA 3.75/4,托福免考,GRE很高但是要过期了,在准备明年GMAT(昨天裸考了一下Prep,在句子改错基本都是瞎蒙的情况下有710,还挺提高自信的)
毕业直接到HYP之一读研,然后现在在硅谷FLG之一工作,做互联网工程师,收入很高,跟HWS的MBA毕业收入一样,工作内容也很喜欢,但是还是想读个MBA。其实主要是在HYP接触了很多MBA和这方面的气氛,非常想回国做管理咨询(感谢大家给我的建议,也在考虑回硅谷做[size=13.63636302948px]PM的可能性,很有可能会在PS里言不由衷一下)。
现在工作不到一年,计划两年后申请2016 R1/R2,class of 2019。
问题来了:
1. 两年后的application package里,如果是同一家公司的senior engineer,背景是不是会比较弱?有什么好的建议提升吗?比如跳槽,去小公司,转产品,做startup/side project?
2. 2016申请的时候,两年半工作经验会不会太短了?有没有必要等到2017申请?(我的中期职业规划是MBB做MC,所以多一年的工程师经验帮助不大,就怕学校不喜欢)

P.S. 现在公司可以给办绿卡,但是我决定直接放弃了,因为我不想到时候File 140了影响F1身份,有过来人知道这点吗?

Also, how could I contribute to social activities (I'm participating Toastmasters now, maybe this counts)? Any suggestions?
收藏收藏3 收藏收藏3
沙发
发表于 2014-10-14 21:20:08 | 只看该作者
楼主hello,我觉得基本上你明年申都有可能申到H和S。
我研究申请这么久,我觉得最重要的是:你在某个行业是否足够优秀,你这个人是否足够优秀,你是否做了足够优秀的事情,是否做了睿智的选择,合理安排自己的人生,是否有梦想,有社会责任感,是否全力追求自己的梦想,是否会成为一个领袖。所以是否要跳槽你自己可以评估。我认为如果你把engineer做到足够优秀,并且多一些business exposure也够了。
以楼主的背景,2年经验都差不多了,况且学校看的是你入学时候的经验年数,那时候也三年了。
另外如果楼主真的想做MC的话,现在都可以想办法申国内MBB的analyst职位,基本上够smart都没问题。
板凳
发表于 2014-10-14 22:58:10 | 只看该作者
gooloobaby 发表于 2014-10-14 21:20
我研究申请这么久,我觉得最重要的是:你在某个行业是 ...

我觉得你说的真好,这些问题想清楚了其实也是对自己的交代。
地板
发表于 2014-10-14 23:18:50 | 只看该作者
It doesn't matter whether you have business exposure. Software engineer at FLGT are hot these days even in business school. You need to have business sense tho.

You just need some evident to show your leadership potential (mentor junior engineer/interns, lead projects, organize social activities etc). If you can kill the essay, you have a shot at H/S and almost certain to get at least one M7.

Don't change job to startup unless it is well-known and hot (you don't know the future of an early stage startup). Try to get promoted to senior before applying but don't underestimate the difficulties. I know only a handful of people got fast-track to senior in 2-3 years. Try to engage/lead some products with significant/quantifiable contribution to company's profit/growth (this prove your business sense and incentive)

Offline try to organize some startup/networking events or groups. Connect Chinese money/talent with silicon valley money/talent is also a good step not only improve your bschool chance but also your future career.

My 2 cents on career goal: I don't think MBB is the best post-MBA career for you but that's your decision anyway. However, I suggest you don't write that as bschool essay. Use something that easier to connect ur whole story like found your own startup or become lead PM in FLGT or even VC. Consulting is proved to be useless in high tech area due to lack of passion and vision. My favorite story:

"In the early 1980s AT&T asked McKinsey to estimate how many cellular phones would be in use in the world at the turn of the century. The consultancy noted all the problems with the new devices—the handsets were absurdly heavy, the batteries kept running out, the coverage was patchy and the cost per minute was exorbitant—and concluded that the total market would be about 900,000. At the time this persuaded AT&T to pull out of the market, although it changed its mind later."

5#
发表于 2014-10-14 23:31:00 | 只看该作者
btw, unless you are 100% sure to go back to China, don't give up green card application. you may change your mind later. Green card is also a plus for bschool application.

But if you start ur green card application now and don't get it before bschool start, u may not be able to leave US during school years (transfer status in US is fine, apply f1 visa outside US is risky) so it is a trade-off.
6#
发表于 2014-10-15 00:14:05 | 只看该作者
P.S. 现在公司可以给办绿卡,但是我决定直接放弃了,因为我不想到时候File 140了影响F1身份,有过来人知道这点吗?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
140和F1不冲突吧,如果在美国国内转身份的话,如果以后还是想要绿卡的话以目前的排期,建议还是至少弄一个140有个PD,具体还得上mit咨询
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-15 03:52:10 | 只看该作者
gooloobaby 发表于 2014-10-14 21:20
我研究申请这么久,我觉得最重要的是:你在某个行业是 ...

gooloobaby谢谢你的回复,说的特别好!非常认同你对于申请的理解。我会认真做好现在的工作,把GMAT考高一点,两年后冲刺一下M7!
8#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-15 05:05:20 | 只看该作者
diablo2man 发表于 2014-10-14 23:18
It doesn't matter whether you have business exposure. Software engineer at FLGT are hot these days e ...

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah many people told me you have other ppl's dream job and this is the perfect first fulltime out of campus. So probably will stay at the same company till MBA.

For the career goal, I see what you're saying and I'll definitely try and explore options in this area.

Best,
Max
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-15 13:10:38 | 只看该作者
还有一个一直困扰我的问题是,考虑到我的目标,现阶段是应该多和美国人social还是加深中国人的朋友圈?我现在不在硅谷,工作和租房都在三藩城里,平时的社交主要是和美国年轻人玩闹,很怕耽误了本来可以用来加强背景的时间。为此我经常提前定好时间开车去南湾、斯坦福附近约朋友出来坐坐。前辈们说说我应该怎么取舍?
10#
发表于 2014-10-15 14:51:10 | 只看该作者
maxchasedream 发表于 2014-10-15 05:05
Thank you for the kind words! Yeah many people told me you have other ppl's dream job and this is  ...

楼主是青年才俊,这么早就开始规划着实是好事;我最初工作的两年除了工作和玩几乎啥也没干,连工作都没好好干,现在看来很是懊悔;很多东西是要经过思考和一定阅历之后才能够体悟的;而最好的方式是早点开始思考,早点增加阅历;我会建议楼主如果有时间,且确确实实想申请商学院,现在就拿几个想去的学校,开始研究申请中的几大元素,essay,简历,leadership potential,以及课外活动,楼主是聪明人,相信研究之后就会知道该怎么做;如果真的有空,我都建议你随便投一个不想去的学校开始练手,只有付出了,才会在最短时间内有真正的体悟‘;就比如我现在是投一家就对申请又更深的感悟,很多东西之前前辈分享给我,我都没有办法真正吸收,直到真正写了essay,提交了申请之后才有实质的转变。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 10:56
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部