打印 上一主题 下一主题

prep 33 不明白答案的结构,希望大牛指教。More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-12-5 14:32:36 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
prep一题,不明白答案的结构,希望大牛指教。
33. (26233-!-item-!-188;#058&002541)
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh
water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's
fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great
Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's
fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's
fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more
than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.  
以下为prep的注解

(A)
正确, 非限定定语从句which holds…就近修饰Lake Baikal; more than all the…作为20

percent of the world’s fresh water的同位语,意思清晰,结构简单   
(B) that引导限定性定语从句前面不用逗号隔开, 而此处去掉that从句并不影响原句的主要意思,
此应该用which引导的非限定性定语从句表明两者之间松散的逻辑关系,  但即使改为which引导的
非限定性定语从句,which也只能修饰fresh water仍然意思不对; has more than 300 rivers that
drain into it表达笨拙,不如A的结构简单
(C)  去掉插入语with more than 300…原句变成Siberia’s Lake Baikal it holds 20 percent… it多余.
后半句结构混乱.
(D) while作为连词表示当的时候或者表示转折,而原句并没有这种逻辑关系; which引导的非限
定性定语从句就近修饰fresh water,   而从逻辑上应该修饰20 percent of the world’s fresh water
(E)Baikal和北美5大湖直接进行比较,概念不对等,  应该是Baikal的水量和五大湖的水量进行比
句子结构: More than 300 rivers drain..., which holds… fresh water, more than…

疑问:more than all the North American Great Lakes combined,是什么结构,我认为不是同位语,同位语应该是N结构,此处为adj+介词+N结构,感觉更像是省略了which is。但是前句本来就是定语从句,再来一个定语从句修饰里面的N合适吗?
还有,E选项是否更合适,我觉得Baikal和北美5大湖作对比也可以。

收藏收藏2 收藏收藏2
沙发
发表于 2013-12-5 16:53:14 | 只看该作者

"more than all the…作为20percent of the world’s fresh water的同位语,意思清晰,结构简单" is wrong, because appositive phrase is a noun modifier, but here the phrase is an adverbal modifier.

From Ron:

neither “lake” nor “water” would be a legitimate referent for this modifier -- you couldn't say “the lake is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined”, but neither could you say “the water is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined”

this sentence will only make sense if the modifier is allowed to modify the preceding clause, which talks about holding water (because “holding more” actually makes sense).
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-5 21:36:53 | 只看该作者
soulwangh 发表于 2013-12-5 16:53
"more than all the…作为20percent of the world’s fresh water的同位语,意思清晰,结构简单" is wrong ...

Thank you so much.
还想请教一下:More than all the...是修饰动词hold所以状语吗?Adj+pron+N的状语结构可以帮忙举下例子吗?很少接触这样的结构~~
地板
发表于 2013-12-5 23:39:31 | 只看该作者
言子心 发表于 2013-12-5 21:36
Thank you so much.
还想请教一下:More than all the...是修饰动词hold所以状语吗?Adj+pron+N的状语结 ...

Yes,

My sister eats more than my mother.
My sister eats three chickens, more than(dose) my mother.

Dogs run faster than cats.
Dogs run 60km per hour, faster than(do) cat.

It is a common scenario. you just didn't recognize it.

In the following sentence, you can find the appositive phrase which serves as a noun modifier refering to a noun
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest.
5#
发表于 2013-12-30 21:22:02 | 只看该作者
同位语也不像,有人说是独立主格,但是查了下貌似也没形容词开头的呀,难道真如楼上所解释的?挺说得通的.....虽然一开始很纳闷,因为prep里是这样写的:
只有主谓,没有宾语的句子,因为没有宾语,只可能有主语比较,因而不需要重复do来确认这是一个可发出动作的主语,所以其比较形式如下:
I eat faster than you.注意与下句区别
I eat apple faster than you do

那you do应该补完是you eat apple吧?

然后楼上举得例子如果照这样,(我猜测)补完就是Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined (holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water). 不合逻辑,所以说补完到底要不要宾语也相同地补上?还是只要把助动词改成原动词就算补充完整啦?

6#
发表于 2013-12-30 21:29:31 | 只看该作者
soulwangh 发表于 2013-12-5 23:39
Yes,

My sister eats more than my mother.

问你一下~楼上的问题~~
7#
发表于 2013-12-31 15:40:21 | 只看该作者
SherlockedJohn 发表于 2013-12-30 21:29
问你一下~楼上的问题~~

Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined (holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water).

I don't think we can interpret the structure of the sentence this way.

I have 20 yuan.
I have more money than you (have).

When you want to have a more concise expression, you combine these two sentences together.

I have 20 yuan,more than (have) you.

Not
I have 20 yuan,more than you (have 20 yuan).
8#
发表于 2014-6-6 16:04:09 | 只看该作者
soulwangh 发表于 2013-12-31 15:40
Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North America ...

谢谢楼上的解答~~
9#
发表于 2015-6-23 13:36:30 | 只看该作者
soul的回答太赞了
10#
发表于 2016-10-10 17:38:32 | 只看该作者
作为同位语修饰是对的  RON解释:
The first is an appositive modifier; these modifiers have considerable flexibility, and can be taken to refer either to a noun or to an entire clause. if you interpret the a positive in this sentence is referring to the entire preceding clause -- i.e., lake baikal does something to a greater extent than all those other lakes do -- then it's a legitimate interpretation.
examples (both correct):
the plover gets its food by cleaning the mouth of the alligator, a reptile that could devour it at any time.
--> in this example, the appositive "a reptile" just modifies the alligator.
the plover gets its food by cleaning the mouth of the alligator, a relationship that benefits both animals.
--> in this example, the appositive "a relationship" is modifying the entire preceding clause, which describes the relationship between the plover and the alligator.

"more than all the North American Great Lakes combined" is actually a MODIFIER of "20% of the world's fresh water", which is WITHIN the first MODIFIER. therefore, it's a SUB-modifier, so to speak.

a) you can view this correctly as a comparison involving the extent of the word "hold".
i.e., lake baikal holds ... more than all the great lakes combined.
(in the same way as you'd write i wrote a longer paper than my brother --> this would be considered a valid construction, since it's unambiguous)

i would certainly like the sentence better if it were written as "... more than DO all the great lakes combined", but, hey, nobody's perfect. there are definitely correct answers that are worse than this one.

(b) it's like that in all of the answer choices anyway, so there's not really a recognition problem here anyway. (but i can still see why you're asking about it, though)
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 23:57
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部