ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 2565|回复: 1

[申请总结] 怎么选择推荐人

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-6-14 03:05:42 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Let's start by defining what a Letter of Reference(LOR) is: Letters of reference are qualitative accounts of your intellectual and professionalcapacity, as well as your personal character. Admission committees hope to discover specificdescriptions and examples illustrating your potential to succeed in graduateschool and making a significant difference in the world. Therefore,select individuals whom you’ve established a meaningful rapport with, and whowill take the time to write thorough, detailed letters with concrete examplesand anecdotes.
推荐信中需要展示你的职业才能和你的个人性格。 最好有生动的实例来支持。 所以找的推荐人最好是了解你的。
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:07 pm
For many prospective students, however, letters ofreference represent one the biggest challenges (and stressors) in theapplication process. Often times, they are difficult and very time consuming toobtain--applicants, for example, will often find themselves having toconstantly remind their references to submit their letters of reference, whichcan be an awkward experience and produce anxiety. They are also part of theapplication process over which applicants have the least control of; and, sinceapplicants have little control over LORs, they often tend to dedicate littletime planning LORs, resulting in bland recommendations. Lastly, it is easy forapplicants to take a "out of sight, out of mind” attitude sinceprospective students will never see their letters of recommendation, which canlead to dire consequences.
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:10 pm
But, this doesn’t mean that students can’t take somepreventive steps to influence the quality and impact of their LORs. In the nextfew entries, I will try to provide some general guidelines on how to prep yourrecommenders and tips on how to obtain effective letters from recommenders.
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:12 pm
As I mentioned earlier, the first step is securing effective and meaningful LORsis selecting individuals who can provide specific, concrete examples of yourachievements and personal qualities. These anecdotal examples providecredibility to the letter of reference (and your relationship with yourrecommender) and strengthen your case for admission. They also stand outthe most in the admission process. Therefore, make sure to choose individualswho have had significant direct involvement with you within the last few yearsor so.
选择推荐人的时候要选择熟悉你的, 能写出生动实例的人。
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:15 pm
Once you have identified who these recommenders will be, it is very important that you sitdown and explain to them your professional and academic aspirations. Believe me, supervisors,professors, and peers, love to hear about your goals and ambitions, and areoften honored (and humbled) that you chose them to write you a letter. Itdemonstrates that you esteem and respect their opinion and relationship withthem.
一旦确认谁做你的推荐人, 需要让推荐人知道你进一步学习的期望以及整个推荐信怎么递交的过程, 因为很多推荐人不熟悉美国大学的推荐信递交过程, 你还是需要提早解释。
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:17 pm
In fact, if you have the financial resources, I wouldsuggest going beyond setting up an appointment in their offices. Instead, takeyour future recommenders out for a cup of coffee or dinner to express yourintentions.  

More importantly, convey to your recommenders how pursuing an MBA orManagement degree will benefit the company or organization. Explain to them howyour academic pursuits and an increase in knowledge will help in the futuresuccess of the company. Many recommenders will view this as a token of loyaltyand maturity.
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:21 pm
Furthermore, make sure to explain to your recommenders the process ofsubmitting a letter of reference. For many recommenders, especiallythose who might not be familiar with online technology, this is the moststressful part about submitting a letter on your behalf. Let them know what toexpect and try to assuage their concerns. Let them know that you are alwaysavailable to help, as well.
Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:23 pm
Another topicto discuss with your recommender is a timeframe. As general rule of thumb, I always tell students togive their recommenders two weeks lead-time to submit their letters, and followup with them then. If your recommenders have not submitted their letters bythen, simply (and politely) remind them and let them know that you will checkback with them next week (i.e. the third week).  
还有很重要就是时间问题。 因为推荐信需要推荐人递交, 所以提早告诉推荐人学校申请截止时期也很重要, 时不时提醒一下也是需要的。

If for some reason yourrecommender has not sent his LOR by the third week, my advise to students is tostarts looking for an alternative recommender.
Now, most institutions require three (3) letters ofreference. Other universities only require two (2). Make sure to verify withyour institution. Moreover, letters of reference should not exceed more thantwo (2) pages, maximum 3 pages for some universities, 12pt font.  

Moreover, LORs can come from either professional or academic sources,such professors or academic mentors. Most business schools, however, advisethat you submit two (2) letters from work supervisors and one (1) from aprofessional colleague or peer.

楼主| 发表于 2013-6-16 00:04:26 | 显示全部楼层
顶起来。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-28 18:44
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部