ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

正确答案: B

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 3205|回复: 5
打印 上一主题 下一主题

求教讨论PREP中一题

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-1-10 18:03:48 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
99.(29845-!-item-!-188;#058&004015)

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

(A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

(B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

(C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

(D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

(E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

答案是B,我选了A。看了答案也没有完全的理解,一下列一些Manhattan的解释,大家有自己的理解的欢迎补充补充,大家一起讨论一下。谢谢!

consensus is that you just can't have 'resulting from' after a comma.

you can have it as an adjective modifier, without a comma - as in the following sentence:
the flooding resulting from the abnormally strong storms had left six inches of standing water in the street.
note that the boldface is an adjective modifier, modifying 'flooding'.

it appears that on the gmat, as well as in standard written english in general, 'resulting from' after a comma is generally considered unacceptable.

--

choice b features the standard use of a prepositional phrase as an adverb modifier:
'(possibly) as a result of', like other prepositional phrases that follow commas, serves to modify the action of the preceding clause (i.e., were dwindling). this is totally standard usage, so make sure you know it.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

I think this is one of the reasons why (A) can be eliminated.
IDIOM = Suffering from a serious DISEASE (correct)
IDIOM = Suffering from a dwindling FOOD SUPPLY (incorrect)

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

GMAT answer is (B)

i'm not sure what your question is -- or even if you are asking a question, for that matter -- but this appears to be accurate. in fact, this is a point that was made earlier on the thread:
post3894.html#p3894

I admit that food supplies themselves cannot be the result of temparature increase but, in A it is "dwindling food supply", can this phrase indicates an ongoing process that the food supply is decreasing, which can be the result of the temparature increase?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
I think Ron may say that it's unacceptable to say that you suffer "from sleep", even though you do have the adjective "bad". The way to fix this is to say that you suffer from "sleeplessness", which is a noun but accurately describes the situation.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

A is wrong, because "resulting" seems to be modifying "a study of...".

Could this be a correct explanation?

it's really not clear what "resulting" is modifying, and that's a big part of the problem..

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

consensus is that you just can't have 'resulting from' after a comma.

you can have it as an adjective modifier, without a comma - as in the following sentence:
the flooding resulting from the abnormally strong storms had left six inches of standing water in the street.
note that the boldface is an adjective modifier, modifying 'flooding'.

it appears that on the gmat, as well as in standard written english in general, 'resulting from' after a comma is generally considered unacceptable.

--

choice b features the standard use of a prepositional phrase as an adverb modifier:
'(possibly) as a result of', like other prepositional phrases that follow commas, serves to modify the action of the preceding clause (i.e., were dwindling). this is totally standard usage, so make sure you know it.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

I think this is one of the reasons why (A) can be eliminated.
IDIOM = Suffering from a serious DISEASE (correct)
IDIOM = Suffering from a dwindling FOOD SUPPLY (incorrect)

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

GMAT answer is (B)

i'm not sure what your question is -- or even if you are asking a question, for that matter -- but this appears to be accurate. in fact, this is a point that was made earlier on the thread:
post3894.html#p3894

I admit that food supplies themselves cannot be the result of temparature increase but, in A it is "dwindling food supply", can this phrase indicates an ongoing process that the food supply is decreasing, which can be the result of the temparature increase?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
I think Ron may say that it's unacceptable to say that you suffer "from sleep", even though you do have the adjective "bad". The way to fix this is to say that you suffer from "sleeplessness", which is a noun but accurately describes the situation.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

A is wrong, because "resulting" seems to be modifying "a study of...".

Could this be a correct explanation?

it's really not clear what "resulting" is modifying, and that's a big part of the problem..

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
发表于 2013-1-10 18:55:41 | 只看该作者
个人拙见,    , resulting....     修饰有歧义,可以整句话或动词或者前面东东,。。。  如果说紧跟在修饰词后面,我觉得就不会有一起了
板凳
发表于 2013-1-10 21:05:43 | 只看该作者
resulting 跟A study修饰一起的话  不知所云。不加逗号 resulting 修饰的是 food supplies,而原意是修饰dwindling是起源于,而不是food suppliers 起源于。
C which 错误 太明显
D E that 一看就 太akward

B选项 a result 修饰前面整个句子,我觉得不是特别好,把result from 跟 dwindling food suppliers 放一起就完美了。
地板
发表于 2013-1-10 23:48:37 | 只看该作者
A和B的比较,A选项中的:首先,suffer from的应该是food supplies的下降,而不是下降的food supplies,result from的也应该是temperature的增加,而不是增加的temperature;除此之外,无论是suffer from还是result from都强调的是结果,因此应使用动作性名词(强调结果,一次性发生),而不是用ving(强调动作,且持续发生),所以suffer from ving与resulting from increasing都不是正确的使用。
5#
发表于 2013-1-10 23:55:34 | 只看该作者
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2013-1-11 10:00:19 | 只看该作者
多谢指教,明白了!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-28 03:26
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部