ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 19067|回复: 52

【分享】【如何写简历】简历中的“错误” - Resume Mistakes(听说标题要长)

[精华]   [复制链接]
发表于 2012-11-12 05:27:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
实际上这篇文章是针对college students如何写简历来break into investment banking的,但是绝大部分“错误”都适用于申请商学院Master以及找类似工作的resume writing.

熟悉M&I或者investment banking resume writing的大牛们可以选择性忽略此文章。其他同学各取所取。(虽然是英文,但是请耐心读完,会有收获)

LZ已将最常见问题加粗并underline

Cheers
------------------------------
Fluent in English?
I assume the answer is “yes” if you’re reading this right now.
But I’m not asking you a question – I’m quoting one of the most common mistakes I’ve seen on investment banking resumes.
It’s not just listing “Fluent in English” on a resume written in English that’s problematic, though – you get lots of other mistakeswhen you try to be “creative.”
In some industries (technology, advertising), creativity is great and there are no hard-and-fast rules.
But finance is old-school and typically 10-20 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to hiring, so throw your creativity out the window if you want to be a banker.

Here’s a list of everything you should stop doing right now if you want to break in:

Got Pages?
If you’ve got more than 1 page, I’ll tell you one thing you don’t got: any job offers.
If 20-year veteran CEOs can condense their experience into 1 page, what’s stopping you?
Most things don’t matter.

What are your 2-3 key work experiences? Where’d you go to school and how’d you do? What are the 2 best projects to talk about in interviews?
Think about all your experience and apply the MAX functionin Excel to it. Your resume should not be the AVERAGE of your experience, butrather the absolute most impressive items you can name.
Exception: Australia. There are a couple other regions where 2+ page resumes are acceptable, but Australia is the keyexception.
There, it’s acceptable to have 2-3 pages for entry-level positions because they don’t mind reading through everything – but if you’reapplying elsewhere in the world, keep it to 1 page.

Pretending to Be Picasso
No matter how “artistic” you are, resist the urge to color your resume, use different font colors, add pictures, or make it look “cool.”
Similarly, don’t put a photo of yourself on there – even if you’re a supermodel.
Exception: In some regions (parts of Asia) pictures are common – just be careful and do your own research first.
But if you’re in the US or Europe, keep photos off – and no matter where you are, pink font colors and clip art are always horrible ideas.

A Little TOO Much Information
Where did you go to school and how did you do? What are the 2-3 key work experiences you want everyone to know about? What are a few interesting tidbits about yourself?
That’s all your resume needs to do.

So, please look at your resume right now and cut out thefollowing:
    Those     5-10 resume-padding activities where you did nothing.
  • Your     4-line description for “Relevant Coursework.”
  • Your     marital status or measurements.
    Less is more.

A Forgettable Name
    No, I’m not making fun of you if your name is “John Smith.”
    And I’m not suggesting that you change your name to Don Draper.
    But when a banker reads your resume, will he remember yourNAME?
    Chances are “no” if it’s the same font size as everything else on the page.
    Make your name at the top of your resume twice the font size of everything else there. If you use 12-point font, use 24-point font for your name.

Objective: Failure
    You’re applying to an investment bank, do you think someonereading your resume will wonder why you’re applying?
    Your “objective” is simple: get an investment banking job.
    So please don’t include an Objective line on your resume.
    Maybe if you’re a 10-15 year veteran of another industry and you’re changing careers right now, you could include it – but otherwise keep it off.

Spacing & Alignment
    Please make sure that your company and position names are left-aligned and that your dates and locations are right-aligned – and do itthe real way instead of just hitting the space bar a bunch of times.
    Also make sure you use single-spacing throughout and thatyou actually insert a space between different work experience entries and between different sections.
    You can checkout exactly how to set everything up in this template.
    Anything else just looks sloppy.

Too Much Text
    Your resume is NOT an essay, and you should not be writing paragraphs or huge blocks of text.
    You need to use bullets rather than paragraphs, and you needto keep these bullets short.
    1-2 lines is ideal, 3 is fine but pushing it, and when yougo over 3-4 lines you get into paragraph territory.
    Bankers reading your resume are scanning for highlights, andif you write an essay rather than a resume, they’ll never be able to tell what’simportant.

No Numbers
    As a corollary to the point above, you want to include as many numbers as possible on your resume.
      “Led team of five to optimize ad spending by fifty percent”
  • “Led team of 5 to optimize ad spending by 50%”
    Which one stands out more? Which one will catch bankers’attention more?
    Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Rocket Science
    “Introduced carbocyanide-78 into dwysterfloculation toassess quantum flux capacitor superposition potential”
    Ok, I made up some of those words – but that was intentional.
    99% of people do not understand scientific, economic, orpolitical jargon, so please do not include it on your resume.
    The other problem is that writing a sentence like the one above makes you seem like a science nerd rather than a financier.
    Yes, smart is good – but nerdy is bad. Keep the jargon to a minimum and focus on simple, easily-explainable results.
    Exception: Banking and finance jargon is fine to include because bankers know this stuff.
    “Created Sum-of-the-Parts Valuation and DCF to account for changes in deferred tax liabilities and NOLs and properly reflect company’s value” would not make sense to anyone outside finance, but this type of jargon is fine for finance / investment banking jobs.

No Interests
    I don’t care how boring you are, you must have some interestsor hobbies, right? Right?
    If not, it raises serious questions over how personable you are and whether or not you’d pass the “airport test.”
    Yes, you do have to reduce your Work Experience space toinclude 1-2 lines on your hobbies and interests, but it’s well worth it.
    Exception: If you’re at the MBA-level or beyond, feel free to leave this section out.

Mispelled Words
    Did you catch the intentional typo here? If not, then you might suck at spelling and proofreading.
    Please, please, please do NOT let your resume contains pelling or grammatical errors – bankers can catch them in about 2 seconds, andthose mistakes make you fail the “attention to detail” test automatically.
    Two solutions to fixing typos:
      Print out your resume, let it sit for a day, and then comb through it looking for mistakes.
  • Get a friend or family member to review it and look for typos.

Out-of-Date Contact Information
    Ok, so you went through dozens of investment banking interviews and now you finally have a job offer lined up.
    The Managing Director goes to call you… and he gets thewrong number!
    I learned this lesson the hard way: I had listed my “home”contact information on my resume when I was applying for jobs, and investmentbanks and hedge funds kept calling my family in New Jersey to notify me that Igot offers.
    And this was long before the Jersey Shore phenomenon, so it’s not like my family could have even introduced them to “The Situation”for entertainment value.
    Please make sure your name, phone number, email address, and physical address are correct and that you can actually be reached on each one.

High School Valedictorian
    After your 1st year in university, no one cares what you didin high school anymore. So even if you were valedictorian and an all-starathlete, keep that off your resume.
    Exception: In the UK and a few other regions,it’s common to list secondary schools and A-Levels results even at the university level – so you can get away with it there.

Fluent in English / Proficient in Word
    If your resume is in English I would hope you’re “fluent in English.”
    Similarly, if you can breathe oxygen, I would hope that you know how to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and countless other common programs.
    Don’t waste space with these meaningless skills – you only have 1 page to make a strong first impression, so don’t squander your chances with irrelevant information.
    If you are fluent in a non-English language and your resume is in English, just make an entry at the bottom for “Native speaker of [Language]” or “Fluent in [Language].”
    ----------------------
    原文:http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/resume-mistakes/
  • 发表于 2012-11-12 06:53:14 | 显示全部楼层
    Fluent in English看情况吧,在美国投简历肯定要删的,投HK还是留着比较好
    发表于 2012-11-12 08:30:25 | 显示全部楼层
    :)谢谢斑竹。
    发表于 2012-11-12 08:35:10 | 显示全部楼层
    先顶再看!
    发表于 2012-11-12 08:48:17 | 显示全部楼层
    谢谢版主,对于简历是很好的借鉴,虽然有一些还用不上,但是提前心里有个正确的概念是好事。
    发表于 2012-11-12 10:39:51 | 显示全部楼层
    赶紧把简历上的错误改过来……谢谢楼主~~
    发表于 2012-11-12 10:53:55 | 显示全部楼层
    学习了~
    发表于 2012-11-12 12:37:50 | 显示全部楼层
    个人觉得leadership activity至少写一个专业有关的,不要都是社团活动
    发表于 2012-11-12 13:17:20 | 显示全部楼层
    跪谢空哥~!
    发表于 2012-11-12 14:44:03 | 显示全部楼层
    要是早有这份资料,当初就不会那么抓狂了!
    您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 21:56
    京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部