返回列表 发新帖
楼主: weiyu
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[SC总结] [分享]CD修饰歧意问题总结

[精华] [复制链接]
11#
发表于 2005-6-21 11:58:00 | 只看该作者

Tianwan的解释:

I do not think A, because B 的意思只有:因为B,所以不认为AI don't think A and the reason is B)

I do not think A because B的意思可能是:因为B,所以不认为A (I don't think A and the reason is B)or 不是因为B才认为A(I think A and the reason is not B),一般取后者。

逗号很关键,没有逗号会引起歧义,书面语中一般取后者,口语中根据重音决定。

结论:because的优选结构是because A, BB, because A; 不用B because A(强调歧意)

我有一个疑问:为什么I do not thing A,because B;当两个句子中间有逗号分割的时候,不会产生歧义呢?

12#
发表于 2005-6-21 12:47:00 | 只看该作者

Tianwan的解释:

I do not think A, because B 的意思只有:因为B,所以不认为AI don't think A and the reason is B)

I do not think A because B的意思可能是:因为B,所以不认为A (I don't think A and the reason is B)or 不是因为B才认为A(I think A and the reason is not B),一般取后者。

逗号很关键,没有逗号会引起歧义,书面语中一般取后者,口语中根据重音决定。

结论:because的优选结构是because A, BB, because A; 不用B because A(强调歧意)

在OG例查了一下关于有because用法的题,

215. Parliament did not accord full refugee benefits to twelve of the recent immigrants because it believed that to do it rewards them for entering the country illegally.

(A) to do it rewards

(B) doing it rewards

(C) to do this would reward

(D) doing so would reward(D)

(E) to do it would reward

这句话如果按照I do not think A because B中第二种意思来翻译,应该是:国会给予最近的12个移民难民的优惠政策(A),不是(NOT)因为相信这样做会使他们合法入境(B)。

我认为这样翻译严重的扭曲了原文的含义;正确的翻译应该是:国会没有给予最近的12个移民难民的优惠政策,是因为相信这样做会使移民们合法入境。

如果上题的句子被ETS认为是正确的话,那么: I did not think A because B的结构就是可以接受的,也是不会产生歧义的,这种结构的意思应该被正常的理解为:因为B,所以不认为A;

再看longman中because的例句:

used when you are giving the reason for something

We didn't enjoy the day because the weather was so awful. --我想这句话的正确翻译应该也是:由于天气太糟糕,我们今天过得不太好;

Mark couldn't come because he had to work.

---from longman

也看了上面的问题,关于原因状语的位置,现在也感到有些迷惑,

请NN们指点

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-6-21 12:51:19编辑过]
13#
发表于 2005-6-21 14:27:00 | 只看该作者

状语的位置我还是不太清楚

似乎不是放在句首比较不容易歧义

nn救救我

14#
发表于 2005-9-16 11:58:00 | 只看该作者

关于状语从句的修饰歧义问题,我的理解是:

看原文A的修饰对象,一般不能改变。状语要紧跟修饰对象,状语放在句首一般修饰整个句子意思。

欢迎指正。

15#
发表于 2005-11-7 03:31:00 | 只看该作者
好贴!
16#
发表于 2006-2-10 04:07:00 | 只看该作者

109. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A)  that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are

(B)  that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills

(C)  to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are

(D)  to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills

(E)   to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

Require of sb that,

Require sb to do sth.

So it will be between A and B.

Now it becomes difficult. In American English, it prefers omitting the " should", which give the choice A an edge. In addition, we see  the usage of "jobs" in A, but "a job" in B. Therefore, I think A is better.

However, the "that are" in A is kind of wordy and it kind of modifying "skill". Very confusing in this issue.

17#
发表于 2006-5-5 03:38:00 | 只看该作者

好贴啊!

18#
发表于 2006-6-9 15:52:00 | 只看该作者

remona9tMM,我觉得你有可能弄混了tianwan的意思:

这里会产生歧义是因为这句话有可能等于I do not think A, because B;也有可能是think用法中否定词提前的缘故;

但是,215. Parliament did not accord full refugee benefits to twelve of the recent immigrants because it believed that to do it rewards them for entering the country illegally.就不存在这种歧义我认为.

一家之言...

19#
发表于 2006-8-31 20:02:00 | 只看该作者
好贴
20#
发表于 2006-11-8 00:20:00 | 只看该作者
181.Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.
(A) relations between nations that illustrates
(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates
(C) relations between nations that illustrate
(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate
(E) relations of nations that illustrates

我真的感到很奇怪,GMAT不考语法,不是说你连英文的习惯表达都不需要懂,而这种错误观点几乎达到了这样一种程度:似乎连最基本的英文都不需要懂就可以考GMAT,其实经常阅读美国报刊文章的人都经常会读到下面这样的句子:

Some of the series' episodes illustrate that it is quite normal for people to be unsure or afraid in situations that they can't handle on their own.

episode经常和动词illustrate搭配,而episode本身有下面两个含义:

1、You can refer to an event or a short period of time as an episode if you want to suggest that it is important or unusual, or has some particular quality.
2、An episode of something such as a series on radio or television or a story in a magazine is one of the separate parts in which it is broadcast or published.

看完上面这段话,大家在看前面那个题就应该知道illustrate动作的发出者是谁了吧,正是episode,而且这句话大家可以把它翻译成很通畅的中文: Dr. Sayre在他的演讲中讲述了一些有关国家关系的鲜为人知的事件用来说明那些没有得到公众支持的盟约和协约出了什么问题?

GMAT虽然不考英语,但是并不意味着英文功底完全不需要!!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-10 22:36
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部