打印 上一主题 下一主题

[在读分享] 2007级CKGSB(长江商学院)MBA班级日志贴

[复制链接]
141#
发表于 2008-8-31 21:34:00 | 只看该作者

<42th week>

CDC in Darden

Hi Career and Academic Team,

This afternoon I attended the Second Year Welcome-back ceremony on which Dean Bob Bruner officially welcomed SY students back and update them on the State of the School. Everette Fortner, the CDC (Career
                        Development
                        Center
) officer, updated students on the latest developments in CDC.

Hereby I’d like to share with you some of their insights. The Dean asked the SY students to Get over it, Get used to it and Get out with it, which basically means they shall keep carrying out their commitment to class (since teaching is Darden is highly case-centered and student-oriented, without full preparation for the class and hot discussion the class could deliver little value to the students) although just coming back from a wonderful summer intern (for most of them) and some may already got a job offer and would be prone to wash their hands and take a back seat.

In terms of internal information system management, they have an integrated platform called “Darden Portal” on which you could find almost everything that would be useful for your MBA life at Darden. Career development, the core part, appears as “My Career” and you would see updates about the career advice and your job hunting progress. They also have an events calendar appears just below the headline. That’s a better way to update students about recent events compared with sending emails. Maybe we could ask our IT to work towards that direction (currently BB and career board are still seperated).

Their 2010 intakes range from 22 to 34. 22! These guys must be phenomenal. I talked to some SY students, one of them told me he had a classmate who is about that type and she inherited family business and therefore brings unique value to the class.

Their major areas are Consulting, General Mgt/strategy, Investment Banking/Financing, accounting for over 50%.

CDC presented their mission & tasks in a top-down method: Darden Mission >>CDC Mission >>CDC Main Things. Their principle is “Mindful of your situation and challenges”. Their major progress over the summer includes:

(1)    Hired additional part-time career consulting professionals based on previous feedback;

(2)    Visit more companies, enlarged the recruiting pool (expanded geographically across the USA) and solidified the on-ground recruitment;

(3)    Prepared case interview workshops for consulting interview;

(4)    Empowered the Wiki—a sharing tool for useful skills sharing;

(5)    Beefed up the Career Discovery program to help students find what job actually entails and added some niche jobs to the selection pool.

Hope this piece of information is useful to you.

Kind regards,

卢嘉为

Gary Lu (Jiawei) | 07MBA

142#
发表于 2008-9-8 20:28:00 | 只看该作者

<43 week>

My job hunting in CK by Jeff LI

In August, I was very lucky to get my first offer from the company that was my first priority on the “Career Wish List”, on which Career Development Centre (CMC) asked each student to write down the company he/she want to join and CMC would create relationship with the targeted companies for coming job hunting season.

The company is not a top firm but it is what I want, as it is in PE/VC industry, has strong capital and industrial background and more important is that I may go back the city to work and live with my family. All these provide the room for a fresh MBA without finance background to be a qualified investment manager especially when hot money is flowing into Chinese PE/VC industry and the evaluated value of targeted company is increasing rapidly.

I must say thanks to CK for this offer as this platform provided me a lot of guide and help for my industry and company selection, internship opportunity and recruiting process. When I began my MBA program, I planned to go back to auto parts company to work as a BD or marketing strategy manager. During the communication with alumni, classmates, CMC and professors, I found PE/VC industry can be the other alternative for me as I am very interested in marketing research, business model analysis and some were part of my pre-MBA job. Also I care about the role of people the business. These are all what PE/VC requires.

In March, Academic Department organized a company visit with MBA students from UC Berkeley. After visited Delphi and AMD, we got a chance to visit local venture capital group and some high-tech park. That experience provided me another perspective to know this city though I have lived for several years in this city. The venture capital group has created complete financing system and managed the money up to RMB 8 billions and is experiencing fast expansion. From then on I have begun to pay attention to this company and put it on my job searching list. I should thank one of my classmates, Doctor Jay, who has good network with the local officer. It is his effort that added the visiting schedule for us and for such a visit I knew this venture capital group more.

The internship plays key role on job transfer for the MBA student. When I began to design my intern plan, I was very fortunate to get the opportunity from an EMBA who was in the same team with me when we had outward training last October in Beijing. He recommended me to interview with another Management Director of his firm, Mxx. I enjoyed the two months intern from June to July in M company. I conducted a marketing research project independently with the coach of an investment manager and had meeting with MD per 2 or 3 weeks. During these days I had known how VC works and the process of an investment from business plan, industry analysis, term sheet, due diligence and so on. Without the kind recommendation of the EMBA, it is impossible for me to know VC industry so well and the experience helped me a lot when I was interviewed for the offer in hand.

In August I began to communicate with CMC for the possibility of this company. Randy contacted with HR team of this company and it opened some positions for our classmates. Randy reviewed my resume carefully, provided me good ideas to polish the resume and suggested me writing a specialized cover letter. The working efficiency surprised Randy and me, three rounds interviews by hiring manager, investment director, HR director and Vice GM were all finished within one week and after that was package negotiation and health check. I had to work for the whole week to prepare for round by round consecutive interview. My classmates gave me many advices such as resume polishing, interview skill and even a classmate provided me PPT template for interview use. At the end of August I got this offer and after National holiday I will restart my career.

When I recall what happened in August, I always think I am so lucky to get this offer. However, I believe in the future when I recall what happed during one-year study in CKMBA, I will think I am so lucky to be with these classmates, alumni, staffs and professors together in CK.

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-9-8 20:31:54编辑过]
143#
发表于 2008-9-16 19:02:00 | 只看该作者

<44 week>

Mid-Autumn Festival Invitation by Jay WANG

亲爱的,

在月亮升起的时候,我们既思念远方的亲人,又为即将到来的离别伤感。在天各一方的日子里,我该如何面对思念。思念你的好,和你淡淡的味道。

在花好月圆之际,让我们倾诉并一起畅想-----, 特邀您共度 09/14 的晚上。

On behalf of Rick, Myron, Jay, Eric, Jessica,Cate,Great, we invite you to join us with the rising full moon on 09/14, doormitary kitchen, self service cooking----

Jay

VSAP Please!

144#
发表于 2008-10-4 16:14:00 | 只看该作者

<45week>by Robert LI

读mba前的一份工作,曾有一段时间在福建。 Module 5和Module 6之间有了半周的间隙,遂决定回去度一个周末。

特意选了厦大附近住,离两年前住的地方很近,还是可以看到演武大桥的那片海。第一天吃饭的地方选择了熟悉的陶然居,同一道麻辣田螺,味道没有变,心情却两样:两年前的厦门带给我的印象是新生活的新奇。如今的厦门,是故地重游的闲适。

饭后用拖鞋踩着夕阳走进厦门大学,想起左边是去过两次的校史馆,右边是常踢球的操场。一直都认为厦大的美是自然风光胜于人文建筑,绕过以“芙蓉+数字”命名的各个宿舍楼后,天色慢慢暗下来。沿着小路走到湖边,面前是一栋精致的红砖建筑,借着一盏路灯的光亮看清那宁静的长廊和白色的栏杆,长廊上随意晾的衣物让这栋宿舍的更有生气。

我看见了那个在路灯下的报摊。

我突然忆起两年前的一个黄昏,我也经过这里,在同一个路灯下碰到这个不大不小的报摊。当时我想买一本三联周刊回家看,只是莫名的迟疑后,我离开了,给自己的理由是:下次路过再买。

似乎就是那个晚上,接到通知下周就调动去浙江。随后的几天在纷繁的工作交接和行李打包中完结,买一本杂志的小事自然也不再记起。

直到两年后的今天,在同样的时间,同样的地点,我带着不一样的心境看到了熟悉的一幕。真正想做的事,一旦迟疑而找理由以后再做,也许一晃就是两年,二十年或再也不会做。

那晚我买了一份迟到两年的杂志。

还好,这只是一本杂志。

145#
发表于 2017-2-3 17:36:28 | 只看该作者
lanseb8ma 发表于 2007-12-8 09:37
&lt;5th week&gt; Presented by Lynn Caoast Day of ME:I had never expected the first month studying in CK  ...

很赞很真实
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-24 02:15
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部