查看: 10995|回复: 20
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[读书的日子] PhD入学准备

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2007-6-5 08:00:00 | 只看该作者

PhD入学准备

本版一向潜水的人多,讨论的人少。我来挖个坑吧。

距离8月开学开始两三个月,除了腐败游玩探亲访友以外,未来的屁挨着地同志们有什么复习打算没?

俺们8月有个Math Camp,所以打算复习一下高数。。。想想上次学高数已经是大一时候的事情了,说实话还是很忐忑的。。。。

沙发
发表于 2007-6-5 10:20:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用ProfCPA在2007-6-5 8:00:00的发言:

本版一向潜水的人多,讨论的人少。我来挖个坑吧。

同意呀 数学很要紧的

不过觉得到那里重新学一遍应该不用很紧张的吧 走的时候带一些国内的数学书过去 到了那儿再看

最近忙完CFA的考试 觉得等于是把很多东西都复习了一遍 脑子里清楚很多了啊

板凳
发表于 2007-6-5 16:08:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用yession在2007-6-5 10:20:00的发言:

同意呀 数学很要紧的

不过觉得到那里重新学一遍应该不用很紧张的吧 走的时候带一些国内的数学书过去 到了那儿再看

最近忙完CFA的考试 觉得等于是把很多东西都复习了一遍 脑子里清楚很多了啊

I don't think it is a good strategy to review textbooks written in Chinese. I did this a couple of years ago. Then it took me ages, in some cases, to find  one-to-one mappings for the terms in Engilsh and in Chinese. If I were you, I would, instead, to download the notes for that Math Camp and read them before the course starts, i.e. try to get yourself acquainted with the mathematics written in English!!  I know it is a great pain as from the very beginning, however, it will pay you off at the end of the day.

By the way, I assume by 高数 you meant to say Calculus. For research in finance (maybe applied to accounting as well), Calculus does not help you a lot  . You need to start off with real analysis stuff (of course, this type of mathematics could be built on top of what you will have done in math camp. nevertheless, Calculus still does not help a lot. Linear algebra might be more valuable to you. Optimization theory is of great interest.)

地板
发表于 2007-6-5 20:44:00 | 只看该作者

I agree with you, lesliejy. Calculus is the basis of mathematical statistics, but it does not help you a lot in other area. Although I haven't had a chance to use linear algebra in my study yet, I heard it's important in microeconomics and econometrics.

If you have chosen your research area and know which faculty in your school is good in this area, you can use spare time to read his/her papers. Doing this will give you more chance to impress the faculty at the beginning of your academic career.

Lastly, if you are in China, eat more delicious Chinese food. You will miss it afterworth. 

5#
发表于 2007-6-5 20:51:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用stevewu在2007-6-5 20:44:00的发言:

I agree with you, lesliejy. Calculus is the basis of mathematical statistics, but it does not help you a lot in other area. Although I haven't had a chance to use linear algebra in my study yet, I heard it's important in microeconomics and econometrics.

If you have chosen your research area and know which faculty in your school is good in this area, you can use spare time to read his/her papers. Doing this will give you more chance to impress the faculty at the beginning of your academic career.

Lastly, if you are in China, eat more delicious Chinese food. You will miss it afterworth. 

yes, that is the point.

6#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-6-5 22:07:00 | 只看该作者

This thread is getting interesting Thanks to lesliejy and stevewu for your excellent points. Stevewu, how is your first experience? Anything you want to say for the future students?

I also heard linear algebra is very important in accounting. Any recomendation for textbook?

7#
发表于 2007-6-6 06:40:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用ProfCPA在2007-6-5 8:00:00的发言:

本版一向潜水的人多,讨论的人少。我来挖个坑吧。

It seems different unis got different orientation programs.

I come to US in August for a teaching assistantship training program. Don't know too much about the math preparation.

I've got no idea about Chinese 'Advanced Math' since we did not do it in the undergra. But I am not that worried, don't know why...... 

8#
发表于 2007-6-6 17:22:00 | 只看该作者
I'm also preparing for the PhD studies. Not sure whether there is going to be a maths camp (good idea for me to check that out), but I'm doing some light reading on stats (e.g. ANOVA).

Also, as stevewu mentioned, I'm doing some reading of relevant research papers (but I'm not restricting to those by faculty in my school). Speaking of which, what software is good for organize the readings? I have heard of Endnote, but haven't check out how it works. Currently I'm using a bibliography tool in www.gradjournal.com
9#
发表于 2007-6-7 03:40:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用ProfCPA在2007-6-5 22:07:00的发言:

I also heard linear algebra is very important in accounting. Any recomendation for textbook?

I personally like the books by Serge Lang.

10#
发表于 2007-6-8 09:47:00 | 只看该作者

For linear algebra, i think we can check the appendix of those econometrics textbooks.All of them list related math subfields, though quite brief.

BTW, for the software... do we have to get familiar with those during the summer, such as MATLAB, SAS, RATS etc? I just learned a little..

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 10:43
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部