打印 上一主题 下一主题

再问Prep 12

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2007-7-18 13:26:00 | 只看该作者

今天无意又看到这题,看看以前的理解真是。。唉。。不提了

现在的想法是这样的

12. The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as ,这里the other infection 或者 other infections才对由于后面是measles和yaws,所以the不对,one... the other....这里,theother的使用有问题

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not
eradication, of such infections like 这里such as,like不能做举例

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not
eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps
eradication, of other infections such as 这里possiblility的使用错误,something considered a previous possiblity,应改为something someone consider possible,of的修饰对象不存在了

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible -- better
control and possibly eradication of infections like这里possiblity和possible重复意思,like不能做举例,of应该跟在control后

12. The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as ,这里the other infection 或者 other infections才对由于后面是measles和yaws,所以the不对,one... the other....这里,theother的使用有问题

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not
eradication, of such infections like 这里such as,like不能做举例

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not
eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps
eradication, of other infections such as 这里possiblility的使用错误,something considered a previous possiblity,应改为something someone consider possible,of的修饰对象不存在了

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible -- better
control and possibly eradication of infections like这里possiblity和possible重复意思,like不能做举例,of应该跟在control后

12#
发表于 2011-9-5 19:50:18 | 只看该作者
possibility用法是什么啊,是不是有possible, 就不选possibility?
13#
发表于 2012-7-21 23:01:53 | 只看该作者

Mahattan GMAT 上面看到的神回答,一下就懂了,太佩服那个叫Ron的了!

There are 2 problems with A.
- Major problem is "THE other infections." THE is too definitive here, carrying the connotation of "every single one of the other infections."
* THE is also incompatible with "such as":
- Correct: I never read this book, but I read the other books on the shelf.
- Correct: I never read this book, but I read other books on the shelf, such as "Right Hand, Left Hand" and "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."
- Incorrect: I never read this book, but I read the other books on the shelf, such as "Right Hand, Left Hand" and "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."
- Minor problem is "what they had not..." vs. "something they had not..." The "what" construction is awfully strong, suggesting that this was THE ONE THING they hadn't thought possible.
* As an analogy, compare the meanings of "I want to do what I love for a living" and "I want to do something I love for a living." The first suggests that the speaker has one particular field in mind; the second doesn't.
14#
发表于 2012-7-21 23:10:44 | 只看该作者
谢谢!我本来也给选成A了,看来我要注意呢!!
15#
发表于 2012-7-22 22:48:53 | 只看该作者
好细的考点,彻底学习了
16#
发表于 2012-9-17 15:33:59 | 只看该作者
学习了~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-10-28 04:26
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部