查看: 5736|回复: 11
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Duke Q&A Part 3: Health Sector Management

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2003-9-21 12:06:00 | 只看该作者

Duke Q&A Part 3: Health Sector Management

October 8, 2002
Mary Pat Lancelotta (New York):  Are there many students in the HSM Program that do not have a professional background in healthcare or biotech? Are applicants without this background at a disadvantage to students that do from an admissions perspective?  
Stephen :  Sure there are people that don't have healthcare bckgrounds. They really don't have a disadvantage. Our bootcamp takes care of that.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennifer (San Francisco):  Are you a current student?  
Stephen:  Yes I'm a current student. 2nd Year  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carolyn Glabe (Boston):  What type of experience in healthcare did you have prior to starting the HSM program? Do you feel that there is a minimum amount of experience necessary?  
Stephen:  I had project management in Medical Devices. There is really no requirement for the program, but you will have an experiential appreciation for the market if you have worked in the industry.  

Karen (Houston):  Hi Stephen. I was wondering if you could talk about the collaboration of students in the HSM program with local pharmaceutical companies? Are students given opportunities such as this?  
Stephen:  This summer I wrote up a case on Lilly and the launch of Sarafem. These are pretty much the norm in the program.  

Robyn Eckermann (Los Angeles):  Hello. My name is Robyn Eckermann. I am currently in health care consulting and am pursing an MBA to assist me in acheiving a career in hospital/health system administration. What types of careers are the majority of your classmates pursuing?  
Stephen:  They range. Obviously, pharma, med device, payor and provider companies appreciate the HSM concentration. Strategy firms are looking for generalists. Smaller pharma consulting firms appreciate the HSM concentration as well.  

Dan (New York):  Hello Stephen. How many students are currently enrolled in the HSM program?  
Stephen:  We have about 60 students enrolled across both classes, 03 and 04  

Mary Pat Lancelotta (New York):  From a student's perspective, what do you think is the advantage of specializing within your MBA curriculum, as opposed to focusing on general management and obtaining industry-related experience during an internship or through a club?  
Stephen:  Tough question! Short answer: you come out with a marketing tool for yourself to use on some of the companies that you might target, while reserving the general education you get anyway at tin the program. It is really a no-lose situation.  

Ashish (Philadelphia):  rior to B School, did you work in the healthcare industry and if so, in what capacity?  
Stephen:  I was a project manager in medical devices. Lots of fun!  

Robyn Eckermann (Los Angeles):  How flexible is the job market for HSM students in terms of geography? In other words, are most opportunities concentrated around the Research Triangle?  
Stephen:  The job market is somewhat concentrated in the east coast corridor. Amgen, Guidant, and Neurocrine Biosciences are among the west coast companies that recruit here. We don't see much from Minneapolis. But our west coast and mid-west presence is growing. We have several west coast trips supported by the program each year to encourage those companies that don't come on campus to look at our students.  

Shaily (Atlanta):  Stephen, what do you think the advantages are with getting a MBA with a concentration in HSM vs actually getting a masters in health management?  
Stephen:  The distinction is really between hospital adminstration v. a broader health industry overview. I'm a believer that the entire industry is going to be going through a huge transformation. Which means that there will be opportunities for companies and regulators to exploit.  

Carolyn Glabe (Boston):  Folllowing up on Robyn's question, what sorts of professional experiences focusing on payer / providers (rather than pharma and devices) are facilitated by the program / university?  
Stephen:  Our introductory classes focus on understanding the fundamentals of health economics and understanding the premiums patients are willing to pay for care. On the professional side, our students have gone to work for companies like Tenet and Cigna, huge supporters of the program.  

Robyn Eckermann (Los Angeles):  What are the backgrounds of your HSM professors and how accessible were they?  
Stephen:  Our newest professor, Ahmed Khwaja came from Wharton where he taught health economics. Other professors have experience in hospital adminstration and strategy.  

Jennifer (San Francisco):  You said strategy firms are looking for generalists. For people who may want to join strategy firms, do you think the HSM concentration puts them at a disadvantage (even though they do have the general MBA as well)?  
Stephen:  Depends on how you use it. Some offices may favor the knowledge in later interview rounds. But in first round interviews HSM won't be a factor.  

Mary Pat Lancelotta (New York):  Are there any "sacrifices" that you personally feel you have made in terms of the general curriculum because of the additional coursework for the HSM program?  
Stephen:  There are some classes that you may have to give up. But I don't feel like I have missed much.  

Shaily (Atlanta):  In your class, what would you say is the percentage of students that actually had a healthcare background before coming to Fuqua?  
Stephen:  robably 75%.  

Sam (Los Angeles):  I understand that the classes required for HSM are taken through the use of six elective courses. Do you feel that having such a high concentration of HSM related courses detracts heavily from the general MBA courses/program?  
Stephen:  Two of the courses offered are not even during the terms that you would normally take your regular MBA classes. The impact is minimal.  

bigk (Houston):  What kind of work study opportunities are there, that's related to healthcare, for HSM students while they are at Fuqua?  
Stephen:  Mentored Internships (for credit or pay) are open to HSM students and others in local healthcare firms.  

bigk (Houston):  Are there many consulting or investment banking firms trying to recruit HSM students who also have practical backgrounds in medicine or biomedical science, i.e. students with M.D. and Ph.D?  
Stephen:  There are a few companies that did hire interns last year with Medical/healthcare backgrounds.  

Mary Pat Lancelotta (New York):  Do you have much interaction with the medical school or public health school?  
Stephen:  The interaction mainly comes from the MD/MBA's ad les from the school. Although there are opportunities around campus for that if you are inerested.  

Dan (New York):  What is the greatest strength of the HSM program?  
Matt:   I think that it is the people. We have a very diverse and involved student body that serves as an excellent resource.  

Karen (Houston):  About what percentage of the students in the HSM program are interested in healthcare, vs. pharma management? Is the program particularly well suited for one of these?  
Matt:  The student body is equally interested in payor/provider and pharma management. If you are inerested in either, there are resources and classes that address both  

Jennifer (San Francisco):  What type of work/projects do you usually do at these "healthcare firms"?  
Matt:  The projects include a range of strategy and finance assessments. Two examples: last year I did a marketing strategy with other students for a local pharma startup. This year there is a group that is working with DCRI (Duke Clinical Research Institute) to see how they can improve capital flow to the hospital.  

bigk (Houston):  Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on the "Mentored Internships" just a little bit?  
Matt:  These projects are Fuqua-wide, but we take advantage our proximity to the med center and to RTP. Local firms (including VC firms) come to fuqua to find talent that can work there during the school year (about 8 hours/wk). In some cases our students have turned these 'classes' into internships and f/t offers  

Jennifer (San Francisco):  If someone decided to get an MBA with an HSM concentration and then decided to do a career switch, do you think that person would have trouble getting a job that is NOT healthcare related?  
Matt:  Not if they don't put it on their resume.  

Shaily (Atlanta):  ersonally, how has your experience been at Fuqua in terms of the health sector mgmt concentration...do you feel that it is preparing you with the adequate tools needed in order to succeed?  
Matt:  Absolutely, the classes have broadened my understanding of healthcare and the people in the program have taught me tons as well.  

Karen (Houston):  I am interviewing in november and would like to speak with someone from the HSM program while on campus. Should I call to set that up, or will I be contacted if I have expressed interest in the program?  
Matt:  The Asssitant Program Director is Nichole Berke. She is the best person to start with. Her number is:919-660-8084  

Jennifer (San Francisco):  Do most HSM graduates tend to accept offers on the East Coast after graduation? What is your estimate of the percentage of students who decide to move to the West Coast?  
Matt:  I am a west coaster and am considering offers from both coasts. Obviously, there is more pharma on the east but if you want to go west, you can.  

Robyn Eckermann (Los Angeles):  What made the two of you choose Duke's HSM program over health care concentrations/joint degrees available at other b-schools?  
Matt:  The culture at Duke was the best fit for me. The team atmosphere and the general focus of the degree interested me. I did not want to be specialized too much, which was my impression of the other top programs  

Jennifer (San Francisco):  Thanks - I like your response about not putting in on the resume...  
Matt:  I agree with that, It is optional after all.  

Mary Pat Lancelotta (New York):  How much does your coursework (or CAN your coursework) cover broader policy issues, such as the merits of the US healthcare system vs. socialized medicine?  
Matt:  We cover that at in our Healthcare Econcomics class and we bring in speakers to talk on specific topics. Our focus is to understand the policy implications enough to make sound busines decisions.  

Dan (New York):  What percent of the current participants in the HSM program were able to intern in the health care industry this past summer?  
Matt:  It was awfully close to 100%. The people who did not intern in Healthcare, chose not to seek out healthcare summer opportunities  

Shaily (Atlanta):  Is there only a certain number of students accepted for the HSM concentration?  
Stephen:  The only "downside" that some people think exists, is the requirement to fulfill a certain number of HSM classes in your second year. This could take away other elective choices. However, most of us don't view it as a limitation because the HSM classes are the classes that we want to be taking.  

Ashish (Philadelphia):  What, if any, is the downside of specializing in HSM as opposed to obtaining the general MBA? What do you perceive to be the weakness(es) in the HSM curriculum?  
Stephen:  We commissioned a curriculum committee to find the strengths of our program relative to our peers. After interviewing faculty and examining the continuity of our curriculum now and in the future, we decided how best to position our program. A focus on fundamentals would give our students the flexibility within the healthcare industry going forward and thus we have encouraged our professors to develop their curriculum to that effect. Our analysis does not rank our program compared to our peers.  

Robyn Eckermann (Los Angeles):  Stephen, can you elaborate on your comment regarding the benchmarking you did against other schools? Are you stating that Fuqua offers more/better fundamentals or that Fuqua HSM stands out because they do not force a particular perspective on students?  
Stephen:  We commissioned a curriculum committee to find the strengths of our program relative to our peers. After interviewing faculty and examining the continuity of our curriculum now and in the future, we decided how best to position our program. A focus on fundamentals would give our students the flexibility within the healthcare industry going forward and thus we have encouraged our professors to develop their curriculum to that effect. Our analysis does not rank our program compared to our peers.  

Karen (Houston):  Do most job offers come from mentored internships? Did you say that 2 of the HSM-specific courses are offered in the summer? Does this impact your ability to obtain quality internships? Sorry, lots of questions   
Stephen:  No to the first question. Most are from on-campus interviews. second question: The bootcamp in the summer before you start and gate trips to washington DC during our winter break do not interfere with your internships.  

Dan (Arlington):  How responsive is the administration to new course suggestions from the student body?  
Stephen:  Extremely. That is one of the reasons I chose this program. It's size allows the students to have a significant impact and there is a sense that it is growing to meet the demands in the market. Our advisory board is one example.  

Edna (Tel-Aviv):  Hi again - how many international students participate in the HSM program? Thanks.  
Stephen:   I don't have exact numbers, but it is close to 20% of our HSM classmates are int'l.  

Edna (Tel-Aviv):  Hi Matt - Can you elaborate more on the bootcamp?  
Matt:  The bootcamp is 5 days of an overview of the US healthcare system. The couse is taught by a washington insider who brings all of the various perspectives I talked about before into the classroom  

bigk (Houston):  Could someone in HSM with background in medicine/science start an informal class (say 1hr/week) that teaches HSM classmates basics of current topics in scientific research? Or, would you just sit in a medical school class to gain these types of knowledge? Are there enough interests among HSM students for learning basic science when/if they have some extra time?  
Stephen:  That sounds like a great idea. We would be happy to entertain. But all classes have to go through the curriculum committee. Definitely a showing of TEAM FUQUA!!  

Dan (New York):  What kind of out-of-the-classroom activities does the Program provide (guest lectures, clubs, etc)?  
Matt:  The activities range from our seminar series, in which people from industry speak to the class about business challenges. Additionally, the Healthcare Club is a very active club that brings together HSM and non-HSM people that are interested in Healthcare careers. Fuqua is very student driven, so that if there are activities that interest you, there is ample support to make them happen.  

Shaily (Atlanta):  One last question...how many people graduating have received job offers?  
Matt:  I would contact the career service office for that type of data.  
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:11:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 4: Student Life - all work or some play?
October 30, 2002
Kristin (El Porvenir):  Hi Beth! I guess I'll start by asking an easy question. What's your favorite thing to do at Duke when you're not studying?  
Beth:  Well, at the risk of giving a vague answer - one of the best things is just hanging out with other Fuqua students. The casual social atmosphere here is perfect for getting to know each other well.  

Andy (Columbus):  To both of you: Realizing the rigors of a two year program, do you find that students and faculty maintain a quality balance between school and family responsibilities?  
Beth:  I think so. There are definitely times when either school work or family obligations take priority, but there's a respect for balance... and for making the most of the experience.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Could you talk about housing? How difficult is it to find? cost? do some students buy instead of rent?  
Andrew:  Housing is easy to find, cheap and nice. Most of us live in apartment complexes with pools and tennis courts. Rents run in the $650 - $900 range for a two bedroom. Some married couples and other who are interested have rented/purchased houses.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  Beth / Andrew: I'm wondering if you could describe a typical day in the life of a first year student? I know - kind of an open ended question. I'm trying to compare Duke to other schools like UVA who's students are working from 8am to 11pm. Thanks!  
Beth:  Let's see... our classes are scheduled in two hour and fifteen minute blocks, most people have one or two classes a day during their first year. Between class time is a great time for studying, researching companies and catching up with friends. People have flexibility in how they schedule their time. Team meetings are usually held during the day or early evenings. But there were times when I didn't get to school until late morning or early afternoon.  

Jason (Dallas):  I have been talking to several friends and co-workers about receiving an MBA. Recently, a co-worker provided some very good insight about the tremendous knowledge and value received from fellow MBA students. From your personal experiences, what are the approximate breakdown of the student body by age (Recent grads, 2-5 years experience, 5+ years experience)?  
Andrew:  I am sure you can get exact details from the admissions office or a brochure. I would guess that the 'average' student at Duke has 4 -5 years experience. People range in age from mid-twenties to early thirties. Experience is the key thing. All of my classmates have been successful in their jobs and are interesting people who have done interesting things.  

Stephen Seabolt (Atlanta):  Do Fuqua students feel like they're a part of the larger Duke community, or is your involvement primarily within Fuqua?  
Beth:  We're very involved with basketball at Duke through the graduate and professional student organization. Fuqua has representatives on that council who keep us pretty well informed. But one's time is mostly taken up with school.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  If you could change one thing about your experience so far, what would it be?  
Beth:  I don't know that I would change much. My perspective going into school was to take advantage of the many aspects of the experience: speakers, classes, etc... and I think I've done that pretty well.  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Hi, Beth. I am very interested in Fuqua school and intend to apply for the 2nd round. My career interest is in Investment-banking. I wonder do you have students organizations like Investment-banking clubs in Fuqua. And what are their activities about, can they make Fuqua graduates better prepared for getting a job in the I-banks? Thank you  
Andrew:  I worked at an investment bank this summer and can say that Duke does a great job at brining all of the top banks to campus. We had 10 - 12 Wall St. firms last year along with regional players. All of the firms come down for cocktail parties and for interview preparation sessions. Second year students also work with first year students to ensure first years are prepared. There is no doubt that Fuqua brings the top banks down.  

Mark Haubry (Indianapolis):  What has been the biggest transition from working life to student life?  
Beth:  Not having a paycheck! Also, there is a certain lack of control over one's schedule that was a bit of a surprise. So many things are scheduled and important to attend, but not scheduled by you... so there's a lot of working your time into school and activity schedules.  

Jason (Dallas):  How many hours per week do you spend on classwork (class, studying, homework)? First year? Second year?  
Andrew:  This is a difficult question to answer. As you may know, each of our classes runs 2 hours with a 15 minute break in the middle. They meet twice a week. I would say that you need one hour to prepare for each hour of class. Although some first years spend more than this in the beginning. The first year core curriculum is well designed. Assignments are rarely due on the same day for multiple classes. Once second year rolls around, most are pretty good at managing their schedules and have time for class, social life (golf for me), and for interviews.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  What was most intimidating or humbling about your first year?  
Beth:  I was a bit humbled by just how smart my classmates are... sometimes that can feel intimidating. However, people are very helpful and I've found we all have varying strengths in different areas... so I'm mostly over that!  

Andy (Columbus):  I am a married applicant, and am interested in the activities of the spouse club. What sort of activities to they have, and have either of you (or your spouses) participated? Is there support for spouses in search of jobs?  
Andrew:  I just got married last week and my fiancee moved up here in Aug. Spouses are an important part of the Fuqua community. My wife has met many spouses and made some lifelong friends already.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  How often do you get a chance to interact w/ the faculty outside of the classroom? Are they involved in any of the extracurricular activities or clubs?  
Beth:  The faculty is very approachable, but the amount of interaction is really driven by the individual student. Some of my classmates spend tons of time talking to and working with the faculty members because they have specific areas of interest that match the faculty member's research/background. We do have a series of lectures given by the faculty members on their research efforts. The clubs are primarily student run.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  How often do you get a chance to interact w/ the faculty outside of the classroom? Are they involved in any of the extracurricular activities or clubs?  
Andrew:  Faculty are involved in seminars and class work. Some come to FuquaFridays -- free beer, food and socializing every Friday night. I have never had a problem speaking with or working with a Faculty member. They go out of the way to help you out.  

Andy (Columbus):  Is there an outdoor club at Fuqua, and if so how active is it?  
Beth:  There is an Outdoor Club. Members plan rafting trips, bicycle rides, etc. It wasn't too active last year, but seems to be more so this year.  

Jason (Dallas):  My wife currently works in IT, and would be looking to find a new job if I was to attend Fuqua. I'm not too terribly familiar with the area there - is there a larger metropolitan area close by?  
Beth:  The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is home to about 1 million people, and we're close to Research Triangle Park, which is a good source of opportunities.  

Andy (Columbus):  Do the students typically engage in "pickup" games like football, softball, etc?  
Andrew:  YES. There are intramural leagues for most sports, people also go to the gym to play basketball every day; many play golf too. Generally, there is always something social to do at Fuqua whether it is athletic or social. The hardest part of school is managing social life, interviews and academics.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  What are your plans after Fuqua?  
Andrew:  Investment banking/ private equity. I am currently interviewing in NY and looking at some regional players.  

Andy (Columbus):  Can you compare/contrast the student life at Fuqua with other programs to which you applied?  
Beth:  My opinion is that student life is much more active here from an organizational standpoint (clubs and activities)... but I've not actually attended the other programs, so please check with students at the others as well!  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Do you have music organizations, or festivals, in Fuqua? If you do, do students in Fuqua have time to participate them?  
Beth:  Fuqua Unplugged is a music club here. We put on various events, so far we've held a coffeehouse night and also had a major folk music event with students from other graduate schools playing as well. I know of at least one student here who sings in a Duke chorale group.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  How do you feel the international opportunities at Fuqua compare to other schools? What, in your opinion, sets Fuqua apart?  
Andrew:   There are tons of international opportunities. Because our terms are only six weeks long a small section of the population goes abroad for six weeks second year. A larger portion of students go on GATE trips for academic credit. This year, SE Asia, Australia/ New Zealand, E. Asia, Eastern Europe, and others were offered. I have also made friends from people all over the world. Approx. 1/3 of our students are international and many others have worked abroad.  

Stephen Seabolt (Atlanta):  Any thoughts on the competition among students at Fuqua, in academics or in the job hunt? Is there competition among project teams, or more of a friendly rivalry?  
Beth:  Competitive with ourselves, not with each other. I was really impressed with how much we helped one another prepare for jobs last year. (internships). Rivalry is minimal, unless a class is designed to have competition as part of the exercise.  

Andy (Columbus):  I've read a good bit about internships/jobs in NY. Can you speak to internship/post-grad opportunities in the southeast?  
Andrew:  Atlanta is a popular destination. Consulting firms often recruit for SE offices as do major corporations. I would say about 1/4 of our students end up in the SE and 1/4 end up in the NE. The rest go international or across the US.  

Andy (Columbus):  I've read a good bit about internships/jobs in NY. Can you speak to internship/post-grad opportunities in the southeast?  
Beth:  Well, most of our students don't stay in the southeast, but we do have access to the greater Raleigh area, as well as fairly close proximity to DC and Atlanta, so many people go to those areas. The Career Management Center could give you a more detailed answer.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  Can you comment on some of the friendships that you've formed over your experience? Do you feel that you'll walk away from Duke with a strong network of fellow MBAs to lean upon / support?  
Andrew:  As I mentioned earlier I got on Oct. 19. Several of my Duke friends were at my wedding -- they are some of my best friends. There is no doubt in my mind that I will carry the friends I have made at Fuqua for a long time. This type of feeling is common.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  Can you comment on some of the friendships that you've formed over your experience? Do you feel that you'll walk away from Duke with a strong network of fellow MBAs to lean upon / support?  
Beth:  Absolutely! That's really what I am most awed by... the diversity of people I've become good friends with so far... I have always worked with people from around the world, but now count many international students as close friends. Also, I've had great experiences when contacting alumni for information about careers. We truly do have a close Fuqua network and I'm very happy about this aspect of my bschool choice.  

Jason (Dallas):  How's the student rec center/gym? Is it pretty new? Can spouses utilize it?  
Andrew:  Spouses can use the gym and it is very nice. The weather is usually beautiful down here and there is a 3 - 4 mile trail around the golf course (across the street from Fuqua). I run it with friends several times a week.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Can you describe orientation?  
Beth:  Oh boy. Orientation here is a fun-filled, action-packed week designed to help students feel knowledgeable about the school, comfortable with one another and enthused about Fuqua. I was on the Orientation Committee... the week is planned and run by second-year students.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  What's it like living in Raleigh? Or, is most of your time spent at Fuqua?  
Beth:  Most students live in Durham. Prices are reasonable, one needs a car. It's a suburban area for the most part, good weather, lots of trees. I like it.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  What's it like living in Raleigh? Or, is most of your time spent at Fuqua?  
Andrew:  Raleigh is about 35 minutes away. Durham is a nice town. It is not NY, but as New Yorker I like that. Being out of the city has allowed me to make some great friendships. There are good restaurants in Durham and neighboring Chapel Hill. The quality of life down here, I believe, is unmatched by any of the top schools.  

Brendan Farley (Baltimore):  My questions are all done! I want to thank the two of you for taking time out of your busy schedules to help. I look forward to visiting Duke next week!  
Andrew:  Good Luck!  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Compared with other top schools, does Fuqua's curriculum has a focus on quantitative analysis? And does this present a problem for the entering students?  
Beth:  Most classes have a quantitative component, which can be a bit challenging if it is not your personal strength. However, if you take advantage of the math review that's offered just before orientation and also get help from the tutors whenever you have questions, it's quite manageable. (My background is not terribly quant-focused.)  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  What kind of excursions do students go on during their time off? What are some popular road trips? day trips? spring break destinations?  
Beth:  I'm waiting to have time to take some. ;-) Seriously, people go to DC, or the mountains of WV (rafting), or NC (a few hours away), or Ashville, NC. Last spring break I went to London with a classmate.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  Beth, you mentioned that one needs a car. Do most students have cars instead of relying on buses? Is their student transportation?  
Beth:  Absolutely. A few people live close enough to ride bikes but the best housing is not right next to campus. You can ride a bus on campus, but most people walk from the parking lot to class.  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Compared with other top schools, does Fuqua's curriculium has a focus on quantitative analysis? And does this present a problem for the entering students?  
Andrew:  This is a difficult question, because I have not attended other schools. I would say all MBA programs are quantitative -- that is the nature of the degree. Quantitative backgrounds vary significantly, there are some engineers and others with little to no quant background at all. Professors, teaching assistants, free tutors, and peers will go out of their way to ensure that everyone gets it. Duke offers a math camp for those who feel they need it before school starts. I am really amazed at the amount of quantitative learning I and my classmates have done over the last year and a quarter. Those with little math backgrounds can now run regressions, create pro-forma analysis and understand financial statements.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  Can the fact that someone's background isn't "quant-focused" hinder their chances for admission?  
Beth:  Hmm. That's a good question, one I won't claim to know all the answers to... I think it is less important to have the background than to show (via GMAT, prior classwork, etc.) ability to do the work. We do have a number of students who do not come from what one might call a quant background, the school tries to select a balanced class, so I would not let it stop you from applying.  

Jason (Dallas):  Andrew, How important is getting your application in the first round. I actually just got married on October 19th as well, and unfortunately haven't had the chance to complete my application. Is round two considered "late"?  
Beth:  This is Beth, but if you can't get in round one, round 2 is fine. Any later than that is going to be a bit less favorable, from what I hear. Congrats on your marriage!  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  Can the fact that someone's background isn't "quant-focused" hinder their chances for admission?  
Andrew:  I don't think so. I would demonstrate in any way you can that you can do the quant work. This may be in the form of good GMAT scores, essays or recommendations. The first step to being accepted is demonstrating the aptitude to do the work.  

Stephen (Atlanta):  Just how tough is it to get tickets to watch Coach K's 'kids' at Cameron?  
Beth:  Duke graduate students campout for a weekend each fall for the chance to buy season tickets. Fuqua students typically camp in groups to pool their odds... so you will almost definitely be able to attend some games. Also, it's possible to pick up tickets on days when people here are busy with exams or recruiting activities.  

Stephen (Atlanta):  Just how tough is it to get tickets to watch Coach K's 'kids' at Cameron?  
Andrew:  A large majority of Fuqua participates in graduate basketball camp-out. We normally form groups, rent trailers and camp-out/ tailgate for 36 hours over one weekend. Camp-out is voluntary but a ton of fun. I highly recommend it. Those who finish camp-out are put in the season ticket lottery. Winners share their tickets with the rest of the group.  

Jason (Dallas):  I come from an engineering background w/ little to no classroom experience in accounting, finance, and business. Would this be looked upon negatively?  
Beth:  Wouldn't think so, what's more important is articulating why you now want to develop knowledge in those areas.  

Jason (Dallas):  I come from an engineering background w/ little to no classroom experience in accounting, finance, and business. Would this be looked upon negatively?  
Andrew:  No. Fuqua is looking for smart people. A lack of an accounting, finance or business experience will not hurt you. There are many engineers in our class. Your background will certainly help you in quant classes such as finance, statistics, and decision models.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  Any idea how heavily the GMAT is weighed in the admission process? Is their a "cut off" score?  
Andrew:  There is not cut off score, but clearly a good score helps. There are members of our class who overcame a poor GMAT performance.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  Any idea how heavily the GMAT is weighed in the admission process? Is their a "cut off" score?  
Beth:  We use a model that looks at ALL aspects of an applicant's qualifications. There is a range of GMAT scores posted on the Web site, I'd look at that to see whether your scores might be a concern. Not aware of a "cutoff" score.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Could you talk about art-related activities and venues? live theater? museums? What is available at Duke and the surrounding area?  
Beth:  Sorry, I'm not the best person to answer that for you. There are theaters around Raleigh and one that I'm aware of in Durham, major (and minor) performers tour this area. Trianglecitysearch.com has some good information if you want more specifics.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Andrew, I believe you mention that you golf. Could you describe the course(s) and what classes are available?  
Andrew:  I gotta run, but I could not leave this one alone. Many students play at the course across the street -- The Washington Duke. We have a reduced fee 3 or four days a week. Golf pros often put fliers in our lockers for lessons. I have not taken them, but I have heard good things. Obviously, this is not part of the Fuqua curriculum.  

Stephen (Atlanta):  It would seem critical that you get along well with your teammates, since I assume you spend a good amount of time together. How are the various project teams formed?  
Andrew:  Most professors allow us to select our own teams. Early on in the core, teams are assigned. Problems within a team are rare. People understand you have interviews, family obligations and so forth.  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Do current Fuqua students have lots of opportunities to contact with alumni? And does Fuqua has a big alumni networking in Asia (market for my future career).  
Beth:  For the Asia part of your question, please contact the Asian Business Club (you can find links from the Fuqua site) because they will be much better qualified (and happy) to help answer your question. My sense is opportunities/the network are good there, though. We see alums here for recruiting and some school events, they have been great to work with via e-mail and phone as well.  

Jason (Dallas):  That's all I have. Thank you both for your time. I look forward to visiting soon!  
Beth:  Thanks for joining us -hope you have a great time here on your visit!  

Jiangze Bian (Miami):  Many thanks to Beth and Andrew. My questions are over. I hope to meet you on my visiting Fuqua next month.  
Beth:  You're welcome! Enjoy your visit. You may very well see us around, if so, please introduce yourself.  

Kristin (El Porvenir):  That's all for me as well. Again, thank you for your time Beth and Andrew!   
Beth:  You're welcome... thanks for the questions!  
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:13:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 5: The Big Three - Consulting, Finance, Marketing.
November 12, 2002
Matt (Boston):  Hello. On a percentage basis how are Fuqua students spread over these three concentrations? I assume consulting and finance are falling off a little bit with the economy, are jobs in marketing still strong? Thanks in advance.  
Mike (Marketing):  With regards to marketing, things are still very strong. A great group of companies is still coming to campus for both internships and fulltime positions.  

Matt (Boston):  Hello. On a percentage basis how are Fuqua students spread over these three concentrations? I assume consulting and finance are falling off a little bit with the economy, are jobs in marketing still strong? Thanks in advance.  
Dave (Consulting):  Matt, hiring at consulting firms is down. Many consulting firms hired more MBAs than they needed in 2001. We expect the hiring numbers to increase over the next two years.  

Sam (New York):  Can you folks speak about the ground work you had to do in order to land the internships.  
Mike (Marketing):  Fuqua opens a lot of doors, but there is still a lot of work that students have to do to land internships. The first step is to attend the company's info session (with freed food, drinks, and gifts of course!) From there, students can research the company on their own, talk to contacts they made at the presentation, e-mail alumni, or talk to second year students who interned there the year before. Then, there are also trips to visit companies over Fall and Winter breaks.  

Amy Woehr (Finance):  The stats from internships for our class were approx: 32% finance (ALL types - corp finance, investment banking, S&T, private equity, etc) 28% marketing 10% consulting (higher in previous years) 9% strategy, business planning, business dev the rest...other such as general management, real estate, law.  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Dave, I like to learn that, as you worked for Mckinsey as a consultant, usually what kind of problems the customers brought to you?  
Dave (Consulting):  At McKinsey, the client issues are very diverse. I personally worked on growth and channel strategies for my client. Other issues include competitive response, post-merger management, sales force effectiveness, and turnarounds.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  I realize that all of you are still in the program, but do you regret the decision to leave your careers to pursue an MBA at Fuqua? What has been the biggest "eye-opening" experience that you have had to date?  
Mike (Marketing):  I love Fuqua, and I am so happy that I came back to school. I do not regret leaving my previous job at all. It was definitely a great choice. I think the most eye opening experience has been that the work does not stop when you arrive here. There is so much going on with the career search, classes, and social events that I am constantly busy.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  I realize that all of you are still in the program, but do you regret the decision to leave your careers to pursue an MBA at Fuqua? What has been the biggest "eye-opening" experience that you have had to date?  
Dave (Consulting):  If you posted a question for me, could you please repost it? The marketing guy deleted all my questions. Thanks.  

Julie Young:  Hi Mike - I am also an engineer and am thinking about pursuing an MBA in marketing... how did you decide to pursue marketing and how did you know that this field was right for you? How do you like it so far?  
Mike (Marketing):  I enjoyed engineering, but I wanted something more externally focused and that gave me an overall view of the company. That is why I came back. I knew the field was right for me, because I talked to a few people before applying, and I also took a night class in marketing. So far, it has been great. The Marketing Club holds a number of events to help career changers learn about the field and show all the different opportunities available.  

Jie Zhou:  Dave, I have another question. As a second-year MBA student, how do you feel about the consulting industry this year?  
Dave (Consulting):  We feel confident that there will be more offers available this year. We expect internship hiring to approach normal levels and full-time hires to reach normal levels at the top firms. Some good firms have weathered the storm very well.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  Amy, Do you think it would be beneficial to pursue the JD/MBA path if you wanted to concentrate on Corporate Finance?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  Jeff, that's tough to answer because Corporate Finance is very broad. I do not think it is necessary but there is probably some benefit. If you want to be involved in more complex business transactions (M&A, developing partnerships) understanding the legal work may be helpful. As a corporate finance specialist you would have lawyers working with you on any large transaction. I would only pursue it if it is off high interest to you.  

lorena aza (lima):  Which are the biggest differentiators you can mention of the marketing program in duke, from those in other universities?  
Mike (Marketing):  This is very tough to answer, since I am not too familiar with other MBA programs focus on Marketing. I can tell you that at Duke, there are great marketing professors, a ton of top notch companies recruiting, and a bunch of Marketing Club events throughout the year.  

Matt (St. Louis):  Dave - Are the major Consulting firms still coming to campus for info sessions and interviews? Can you give a list of consulting companies that visited over the past year?  
Dave (Consulting):  I have personally interviewed with Deloitte, DiamondCluster, AT Kearney, Booz Allen Hamilton, Bain, BCG, and McKinsey. A number of other specialty firms have visited as well. I can't remember all those names off the top of my head.  

Jeffrey Cook (Washington, DC):  Dave - I am interested in consulting - particularly strategy. Could you comment on your likes and dislikes of your summer experience at McKinsey  
Dave (Consulting):  Jeffrey, my McKinsey experience was excellent. I enjoyed working with talented people on exciting and impactful projects. As expected, the workload is high and really challenges your ability to balance work and non-work activities.  

NorthShore (Twin Cities, MN):  Is there any way to make this a "live" refresh rather than me having to hit refresh every 15 seconds?  
Administrator:  Unfortunately the auto refresh doesn't work on all browsers ... like IE6. If you find your browser is not updating, you will have no choice but to click the refresh button located on the upper right portion of the screen. Sorry   

Amit Garg (Cary):  Dave, how good is Fuqua in Consulting (compared to other top schools) and are there any heavyweight professors in this field? Do you have any high-tech companies coming for recruitment (high-tech consulting)?  
Dave (Consulting):  Amit, all of the larger firms allow you to specialize in high tech fields. Because I looked specifically at strategy work, I may not have all the information on high-tech consulting. I do know that Deloitte, AT Kearney and DiamondCluster all handle a large proportion of high-tech work.  

Stephen (Atlanta):  A mktg question for Mike : based on the first year curriculum at Fuqua, did you feel as prepared for the summer internship as interns from other schools?  
Mike (Marketing):  Oh yeah. The first year core courses that came into play for my summer were Marketing (of course), and also Finance and Management Communications. In term 4, I was able to pick some electives, and they have choices available for whatever field you are entering. I took Marketing Intelligence and Intro to Strategy. As compared to the other interns, I thought I was very well prepared, and I had seen most of the stuff that was thrown at me in my 1st year.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  Dave, I just had a general question....I guess Marketing guys are the same in all areas of the country....I realize that all of you are still in the program, but do you regret the decision to leave your careers to pursue an MBA at Fuqua? What has been the biggest "eye-opening" experience that you have had to date?  
Dave (Consulting):  Jeff, I have absolutely no regrets about leaving my career. Fuqua offers a great deal of benefits outside of academics and recruiting. We're surrounded by hundreds of friends with tons of options for social interaction. I'm always reminding myself that being busy at school is much more enjoyable than being busy at work. Eye-Opener: I love to hear the stories about my classmates life experiences. Pretty much everyone has some amazing story to tell.  

Raghav (Reston):  I was wondering if you could tell me about the new courses that have been made part of the curriculum that you think will be of extra importance to you in your careers?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  There have been some new/revised classes that I think are beneficial to a career in finance: Venture Capital/Private Equity; Fixed Income and Risk Management (aka Advanced Derivatives); Regulatory Environment of Investment Banking to name a few. The traditional roster of finance and accounting courses are also strong. I think you can view them from Fuqua's main web page. Be sure to check under finance and accounting as things like Valuation and Financial Statement Analysis are under accounting because they are applied accounting.  

Jeffrey Cook (Washington, DC):  How prepared and knowleadgable did each of you feel during your summer internship in comparison to peers you met from other top schools? Was Fuqua able to provide and distinct advantages?  
Mike (Marketing):  I felt very prepared and knowledgeable at FedEx. Besides the typical business classes we took here at Fuqua, we also took a class on computer skills, which really did come up big. Also, we took two classes on presentation. One solo, and the other in a team. Since the majority of internships end with a big presentation to senior management, this was a great class. We even have executives come in to listen to make it as real-life as possible!  

Matt (Boston):  Dave, how does your consulting classwork differ from that of your peers? What courses does Fuqua offer with this focus?  
Dave (Consulting):  I have taken a general management track at Fuqua. We have several electives that prospective consultants take. The list includes: Market Intelligence, Foundations of Strategy, Business Dynamics, Pricing Strategy, Managing Change, Restructuring. Although we have several options tailored to consulting, I think you can fill your consulting tool box by studying the standard course load.  

NorthShore (Twin Cities, MN):  What percentage of the class do you suppose is interested in "The Big Three"? Are there non-traditional students out there, perhaps an MD or entrepreneur looking to acquire a general management background?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  The first question I answered gives all the stats for each large area of interest. There is a sizeable group of students coming from non-traditional backgrounds. We have several MDs because Fuqua has a strong Health Sector Management program. There are also some entrepreneurs and certainly a lot of people coming from small firms and non-profits. We also have some lawyers and joint degree students for JD/MBAs, MD/MBAs, Public Policy/MBA, etc.  

Matt (St. Louis):  Dave - What type of clubs or extracurricular activities would you recommend in preparation for a consulting career?  
Dave (Consulting):  Matt, any activity that tests your leadership abilities and allows you to make a meaningful impact on the school or any other organization will enhance your consulting skills. Among other activities, I work with the Duke New Venture Clinic to launch new business spin offs from the University and I am a co-captain of the Fuqua ice hockey team.  

NorthShore (Twin Cities, MN):  What percentage of the class do you suppose is interested in "The Big Three"? Are there non-traditional students out there, perhaps an MD or entrepreneur looking to acquire a general management background?  
Mike (Marketing):  There are a ton of opportunities outside of the "Big 3." Not for profit, General Management, and entrepreneurship are all gaining strength. With regards to not-for-profit, there are some clubs very involved in that field (Net Impact, CASE, and Community Involvement.) There are also career fairs held in the region and a new program in effect where students can sit on the board for a local non-profit. With general management, there is a Symposium on campus, a club, and an increasing number of companies recruiting people in leadership development programs to become managers within 5 years. Finally with entrepreneurship, there is a Startup challenge, a club, and a program to get involved in local start-ups.  

Jie Zhou:  Dave, were you a consultant before joining Fuqua? For those top consulting firms, do you know anything about their strategic consulting in fine chemical and pharmaceutical industry? (sorry, too many questions)  
Dave (Consulting):  Before Fuqua, I worked for a pharmaceutical company in Research Triangle Park. Most of my functional experience was in financial systems. I know that quite a few general firms have expertise in pharma consulting. We also have specialty firms that come to campus because of our Health Sector Management concentration at Fuqua.  

lorena aza (lima):  Mike, thanks for your answer. Since I'm interested in pursuing a future in High-tech marketing, which do you think are the big advantages that Fuqua has (location, faculty, recruiters, alumni, etc). Thanks!  
Mike (Marketing):  High-tech is popular here at Fuqua. There is an event called e-vision held every year, where companies come in to talk about the latest in high-tech. There is also a club, and a good number of big players in high-tech come here to recruit. I do know of some people who are getting class credit for interning during the school year with local high-tech firms too.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  Did any of you consider the Executive Program vs. the full-time program and if so, what made you decide on the Full Time program? What is honest opinion of the executive program there on campus?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  I considered executive programs in general. You need significant work experience for an executive program. I had six years experience and would have waited longer for the executive programs. My main reason for coming to school full-time was that I wanted the full-time experience. As a full-time student you are immersed in campus life and people at all times and I believe one of the best elements of a MBA program is getting to know your classmates. That said, Fuqua's executive programs are a bit unique. They are very highly regarded, have a fairly large class size, and spend a lot of time on campus. When they are here they stay in the Thomas Center that is connected to Fuqua. Their class is very close. The opinion of the program is high, but the only downside is that there is not a lot of interaction between the students in the two programs. The executive students are very busy when they are on campus.  

Matt (St. Louis):  Dave - Are there any specific changes in the curriculum or job search process that you anticipate occurring over the next two years in order to address the challenging economy?  
Dave (Consulting):  Matt, we are constantly working with the faculty to make sure our course work matches the needs of consulting firms. The school is very open to student input and is dedicated to continually improving the competitiveness of Fuqua students in the job market. We have had about half a dozen new classes and seminars geared at consulting-specific issues over the last year.  

Jenny (Washington DC):  Amy - do you think a JD is necessary to do M&A work? Will a top firm still hire an MBA without a JD to do M&A work? Also, what does the market look like for those who wish to pursue a career in M&A work?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  A JD is not at all necessary to do M&A work. I would guess there are very few with a JD. As an M&A specialist you would be paired with a lawyer as necessary. As for the market for M&A....the large investment banks still come to campus and are actively recruiting. They are hiring less than they used to but that is only temporary due to market conditions. The job search in any fields is more intensive than a few years ago and requires dedicated effort. The clubs, faculty, career office and second-years on campus provide a lot of guidance so that you are not on your own.  

NorthShore (Twin Cities, MN):  Mike, What is the name of that new program where students can sit on a board for the local non-profit? Is there a URL? I'd be interested to see the non-profits that are participating in the program -- cool!  
Mike (Marketing):  Sorry, but I do not know the name. I tried to find it quickly, but could not. I think it is a part of CASE, which is a new program towards social entrepreneurship. I could not participate, because I will be in Paris for term 3, and it is a year long engagement.  

Jenny (Washington DC):  Dave - Does the New Venture Clinic launch new business spins offs from the business plan competitions? Can you elaborate on what you mean by spin offs from the University?  
Dave (Consulting):  Jenny, the New Venture Clinic is separate from the Duke Start Up Challenge, which also works to provide exposure and funding for university spawned ideas. The New Venture Clinic identifies a number of promising proprietary technologies and builds a business around the technology to help the company win venture funding or reach independence. The New Venture Clinic works in partnership with the Duke Office of Science and Technology.  

Matt (Boston):  With your second year classes, how have the teams changed? Are teams still required for some second year classes?  
Mike (Marketing):  A lot of the course work is designed around working in teams, so it is still a big part of the curriculum. I think 2nd years are better at working in teams, so things tend to run smoother than in the 1st year.  

Jeff Swindell (Orlando):  Are there any strong Entrepreneurial Courses offered?  
Dave (Consulting):  Strong Entrepreneurial Courses: Duke New Venture Clinic Evaluating Entrepreneurial Opportunities Social Entrepreneurship Real Estate Entrepreneurship (New) Building a Small Business  

Stephen (Atlanta):  Are there a lot of students who come to Fuqua with their mind set on Finance, only to realize that they want to focus on an entirely different discipline? Do a lot of students also change their mind after the internship?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  In this economy it is best to have an idea of what you want when you get here. If you want to pursue a couple of areas of interest from the beginning you just have to set your mind to it and go for it. It takes a lot of work, but can be done. The "big three" require dedicated effort all fall during your FY. Interviews are in January and resume drops are in Nov/Dec. By the time you drop resumes you will have met company reps several times on campus. If you pursue finance and change your mind in, let's say, December, you will most likely have to pursue an independent job search. This happens with students interested in more unique opportunities like strategy, business development and niche areas of finance such as private equity or investment management. Yes, students change there mind after internships. That's fine, but just requires more work in your SY.  

lorena aza (lima):  Mike, trying to follow the same line of the question I asked, how is the situation for international students in high tech marketing now?  
Mike (Marketing):  Interesting question, because I know for a fact that one of the big recruiters for high-tech marketing interviewed a lot of internationals. Also, the local internship is open to everyone.  

Jeffrey Cook (Washington, DC):  With so many folks choosing Finance and Marketing (32% and 28%) - Have you ever had issues in signing up for a particular class you are interested in?  
Mike (Marketing):  When there is a high demand for a class, professors tend to open up new sections, so that everyone gets what they are hoping for. It may take a few weeks, but they are very accommodating.  

Raghav (Reston):  Dave, I was wondering if you are a member of the consulting club? from your experience what kind of access does it offer to resources in some of the consulting companies?  
Dave (Consulting):  I am a member of the Consulting Club. We have a great deal of interaction with people at a large number of firms. We have alumni at every firm (as far as I know) and they are happy to open their doors and show us around. I have had the opportunity to meet dozens (~100) of consultants/partners at firms across the country.  

Jeffrey Cook (Washington, DC):  With so many folks choosing Finance and Marketing (32% and 28%) - Have you ever had issues in signing up for a particular class you are interested in?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  I haven't had any problems. Enrollment starts at a well publicized time. If you log on and enroll immediately (you know in advance what you want), you should get what you want. There are waiting lists, but the administration is also good about opening up additional sections for classes in demand.  

Brian (Orlando, Florida):  Good Afternoon. Mike - it appears Fuqua offers a strong selection of marketing electives (from classical brand management, CRM, etc). Any personal favorites or ones that you feel have made you better prepared?  
Mike (Marketing):  I am in my 3rd term of being able to choose electives, and one thing I have found is that regardless of whether or not I like a course, I am definitely learning some important stuff that has been applicable in my internship as well as interviews. Some of the more popular courses have been Market Intelligence, Product Management, and High Technology Marketing.  

Julie Young:  What qualities of the Fuqua program attracted you each to Fuqua? What set Fuqua apart from the other MBA programs you considered?  
Mike (Marketing):  Fuqua is great. It really came down to fit for me. The program is top-notch, and as great group of companies comes to recruit, but it is the little things that brought me in. One, I am engaged, and Fuqua has an awesome situation for partners, where my fiance plays football with the school, played on my basketball team, comes to Marketing sessions with companies, and probably knows more of my classmates than me. Also, there is a great atmosphere here outside of the classroom with Fuqua Fridays, and all the different social events from Holiday parties to intramurals.  

Julie Young:  What qualities of the Fuqua program attracted you each to Fuqua? What set Fuqua apart from the other MBA programs you considered?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  I chose Fuqua because of the team environment and school culture. The Durham location isolates us and creates a very strong student body and social life. I also like the broad focus of the school. We are not just a marketing school or just a finance school. We are strong in all major categories. Check you the new Business Week article. We rank high in all categories. Lastly, it is highly student run. The clubs and programs like Admissions Fellows, Career Fellows, and Executive Fellows contribute a lot of campus life.  

Jie Zhou:  Dave, thank you for your answers. I am interested in pursuing my post-MBA career in strategic consulting for pharmaceutical or biotech industry. what do you think that Fuqua's program would help me reach the goal?  
Dave (Consulting):  Fuqua will definitely give you the resources and the opportunity to meet your career goals. We have an exceptionally large number of opportunities for people who are interested in careers in pharma and biotech. Our Health Sector Management concentration and close proximity to Research Triangle Park help attract health care firms.  

Federico Robin Delfino (Capital):  Hello, I have just arrived (I'm sorry). This Q is to anyone: did anyone took part of any exchange? How much does Fuqua pushes you to join this? Does it interfere with "recruiting season"?  
Mike (Marketing):  I have not yet gone on exchange yet, but I will be in term 3 to Paris! There is no "push" to do this. Most people just have an interest, and there are a ton of different locations available to fit different goals. Traditional recruiting is in the fall, so if you go in the winter or spring you can avoid recruiting conflicts, but even if you go away in the fall you will still find a job, it might just be more of a self-search.  

Jenny (Washington DC):  Is it possible to request to sit in a particular kind of class (e.g., finance) for your class visit?  
Mike (Marketing):  When you come to visit, there will be a choice of classes to sign up for. Usually 3 to choose from, but it is pretty much dependent on when you come for what those choices will be. There is a mix of electives and core classes.  

Federico Robin Delfino (Capital):  Hello, I have just arrived (I'm sorry). This Q is to anyone: did anyone took part of any exchange? How much does Fuqua pushes you to join this? Does it interfere with "recruiting season"?  
Dave (Consulting):  I haven't taken part in an exchange, but I have completed a Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE). We studied Vietnam, Thailand and Hong Kong for six weeks before visiting the countries. In addition to having a great time with my friends, we visited companies, schools and government offices in each of the locations. I consider my GATE experience one of the highlights of my Fuqua career.  

Luke (New York):  Hello there. I'm an international prospective student. Would you please tell me what is the upper limit of loan to international student without us co-signer. Thanks a lot.  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  I'm sorry, we don't know the answer to that. Please contact the financial aid office. The email below should work, if not you can find them through our main web site. finaid-info@fuqua.duke.edu  

Luke (New York):  I'm a Chinese and would like to go back to China after graduation to do strategic consulting. Do you think Fuqua's program can not only give me the knowledge and skills necessary for a competent strategic consultant in Chinese market, but also facilitate my transition? Currently I am an public accountant. Thanks.  
Dave (Consulting):  Because I have only looked at domestic firms, I may not be qualified to answer your question. However, we have placed a large number of students in international consulting positions over the years. We have the resources to build a consulting tool kit to help you switch careers. I came to school with a background in accounting/finance and switched to consulting successfully.  

Luke (New York):  In which way can Fuqua help an international student locate an consulting job in his home country.  
Dave (Consulting):  We have alumni contacts in consulting firms around the world. We can help you contact these people to learn the specific actions you need to take to locate a job in your home country.  

Federico Robin Delfino (Capital):  Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to joining the GATE experience. Regarding Big Three, I have an I-Banking background, but I'm now interested in Media & Entertainment, perhaps as a finance associate. Although I have experience through several deals in the industry, I believe GATE and a suitable summer job will help me insert myself into it. Fuqua is very well known for these Big Three and I'm looking for a well-rounded general management program, but how will the program help me insert myself into the industry?  
Amy Woehr (Finance):  We have Sports and Entertainment Business Association that is making a trip to NYC to visit relevant firms. The club has expanded their effort to increase the number of Fuqua connections in this industry. You can find contact information for the club presidents on our web site under Fuqua Community / Student Life Web Site. Additionally, there is a strong alumni database that can help you with the career search once you are here.  

lorena aza (lima):  lease Mike, can you give me a closer perception about the Marketing Practicum? how does it work, is it worthy? Thanks!  
Mike (Marketing):  Unfortunately, I have not taken this class. There is a good summary available under the Duke MBA daytime course page though. http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/courses/mba/term3.htm  

Matt (Boston):  Thanks to the three of you for your time. Maybe with some luck I'll be in your shoes in a couple of years. Take care.  
Dave (Consulting):  lease come down for a visit and look us up if you get a chance. Good luck.  

Luke (New York):  Does every student has the opportunity to participate the Student Consulting Practicum and Strategic Planning Practicum?  
Dave (Consulting):  Quite simply, yes. Every student can participate in any program at the school. All you have to do is sign up.  
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:15:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 6: Women in Business
November 25, 2002
Suman (Ann Arbor):  Hi Erin and Chiniqua, Which companies are the top recruiters of women at Fuqua?  
Erin :  Suman, a lot of companies that recruit on campus actually also have specific events to encourage women to interview with them or to simply provide more information about their industry/firm. For example, Goldman Sachs has a brunch for any women interested in banking and they bring several top female execs to speak with Fuqua women.  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  Hi Erin and Chiniqua, Which companies are the top recruiters of women at Fuqua?  
Chinikqua:  Depends on the industry. Many women are interested in marketing and all the top marketing companies (J&J, P&G, General Mills) recruit at Fuqua. There are other industries however that take particular interest in women. Do you have any specific companies in mind?  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  What do you feel sets Fuqua apart, from other top business schools, for women?  
Chinikqua:  The Team Fuqua concept is great for both everyone. Specifically as it relates to women, it offers a very collaborative and open environment for everyone to contribute and express themselves. In addition, Fuqua has valuable resources for women with the Duke community as a whole.  

Oksana (Minsk):  In your opinion, what the adcom is looking for in a businesswoman as a prospective MBA applicant?  
Chinikqua:  The standard MBA requirements. Leadership, commitment, well-rounded individuals with a strong educational background. Fuqua is a student run school and we like applicants that contribute to the student activities.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  What financial aid opportunities are there for women at Fuqua?  
Chinikqua:  Financial aid is available for all applicants. There are some specific female scholarships that are awarded based on certain criteria but you do not have to apply directly. It is based off of your application.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Hi. I would be interested in hearing about your association for women in business. How do students contribute to it and what opportunities does it offer in return?  
Erin :  Kristine - Chinikqua and I are both active members in AWIB here at Fuqua...anyone (yes, even guys!) can join and most Fuqua women participate in one way or another. As with all clubs at Fuqua, students run everything in AWIB, though we have lots of support from the administration. We have several cabinets that work together - we bring top-notch female speakers to school, the second years put on workshops for first years (industry info, networking tips, etc.), plan social events, work with admissions to increase the # of females at school, etc... It's a great networking opportunity for us, as well as fun.  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  Thank You. Chinikqua, I am interested in hi-tech companies and consulting companies.  
Chinikqua:  As far as hi-tech, IBM, Bellsouth, Dell, Microsoft, Teradata, Agilent and many others. As far as consulting, Bain, Accenture, Scott Madden, Deloitte, McKensey, Booz (resume drop). Not an all inclusive list but those are the ones that come to mind.  

Oksana (Minsk):  What qualities are appreciated in businesswoman?  
Erin :  Oksana - I think that both the adcom and recruiters are looking for similar types of qualities such as leadership abilities, analytical skills, etc. I also think that Fuqua wants to attract people who are well-rounded and passionate about what they do either professionally or in their personal life.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  How would you characterize the experience of being a woman in business school, particularly at Fuqua?  
Chinikqua:  For me, the experience at Fuqua being a women is no different than being a female in business. You are always careful to balance confidence and arrogance when demonstrating yourself and your skills. I would say that the communal environment or work and play allows you to get to know people better than getting to know people at a firm. This level of comfort allows you to be less guarded over the male/female thing and generally work with people on a personal level. I do not feel that I am treated differently as a female and I do think people go out of there way to be inclusive.  

Oksana (Minsk):  Thank you Chinikqua. Focusing on what facts can become the strongest points in the application package?  
Chinikqua:  Know why you want to attend Fuqua (ie what sets it apart from other b-schools) and why you want to come back to b-school. also, know your strengths and weakness and outline a plan to fix your weakness.  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  Are you career changers and did the Summer internships help?  
Chinikqua:  I am not a true career changer. I am changing industries. The summer internship is a critical component to changing careers. Admittedly, in this economy it is hard to switch but not impossible. you just have to be thorough and focused.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  How would you characterize the experience of being a woman in business school, particularly at Fuqua?  
Erin :  rior to Fuqua I worked for a consulting firm where I was fortunate enough to work with a lot of terrific women on a daily basis...when we got here we learned that our class ('03) only had 30% women and I was a bit apprehensive about how that was going to work out. During my first year the majority of my teams were assigned, and I was always the only female on the team, which was just such a change from what I was used to at work. However, Fuqua's smaller size and smallish-town location makes for a real community, so that helps everyone feel like simply a first year or a second year, rather than a female or male student. I guess what I'm saying is that you get over it fairly quickly and just concentrate on making friends and getting your work done!  

Deanne Kissinger (Charlotte):  Hi Erin and Chinikqua! I've read that most b-schools have an average female population of approximately 30%...is it the same at Duke?  
Chinikqua:  The 2003 class is 30% women and 2003 class is 34%. We had a great year with the class of 2002 at 45%. As much as I would like to see it go back to those numbers, I am not sure if or when it will happen. I am not sure about the statistics for Duke.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Why did both of you choose Fuqua over other schools? Has it met your expectations so far? Any regrets?  
Chinikqua:  Fuqua was my number one choice. I have absolutely no regrets. The b-school and Fuqua in general has exceeded my expectations. People ask me all the time the one thing that I would change. Last year, I could at least complain about the food but with the new student center, we have gourmet food available to us. Now, I have to come up with a new issue. I am still thinking about it.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  Why did both of you choose Fuqua over other schools? Has it met your expectations so far? Any regrets?  
Erin :  I chose Duke for a couple of reasons... I really like the smaller size of the school because I think it creates a community feeling where you know just about everyone. I also like the fact that we have a mixture of case/lecture, which is a more effective method of learning for me (I did almost all case my last 2 years of undergrad), and I appreciate that people can exempt out of core classes here. The professors have been great so far. I also like the fact that people here are very much willing to help each other out, personally and professionally. I have seen so many people help each other study, or provide networking contacts, or even just offer to babysit...it's really a great feeling of everyone working together. Plus, we have some fun here too. No Wednesday classes so lots of people go out on Tuesday nights, and pretty much the whole school shows up to Fuqua Fridays.  

Deanne Kissinger (Charlotte):  It is very difficult to get into top b-schools, what do you think set you apart from the rest of the applicants?  
Chinikqua:  We all have a variety of internee educational and strong job related experience. I personally feel that my commitments outside of work contributed to my acceptance here. I participated in sports and clubs outside of school. I also think well-rounded people have an advantage. Grades and gmat scores are just the basic for being considered. Also, being confidence and being able to articulate and know who you are and what you really want help.  

Deanne Kissinger (Charlotte):  It is very difficult to get into top b-schools, what do you think set you apart from the rest of the applicants?  
Erin :  lus, the Fuqua MBA will be Chinikqua's THIRD Duke degree...she definitely bleeds Blue Devil blue.  

Oksana (Minsk):  Than you Erin. Focusing on what facts can become the strongest points in the application package?  
Erin :  It just depends on what you would like to highlight, what you think you are able to bring to Duke that would enrich the community. This could be anything - specific professional knowledge you have, a different viewpoint because of your cultural background, your volunteer experiences, whatever. I would just recommend highlight some items that you feel best describe you and how you are unique.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  In what ways is Fuqua helping you develop better leadership skills?  
Chinikqua:  Besides class teams, there is significant opportunity to assume leadership roles in clubs students cabinets, and school activities such as MBA games, corporate boards, etc. Also, with our first annual leadership conference last year, we have also added a leadership classes to the curriculum.  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  What percentage of women have children? Are there good daycare centers and preschools near campus?  
Erin :  Actually, as far as I know, there are very few women who have children...I can only think of a handful off the top of my head. There are many, many guys who have kids, so there are always kids running around school events! The Fuqua Partners Association is very active, and they organize lots of different events for families throughout the year, including play groups and outings. I don't know much about the preschool/daycare situation, but I would guess the partners group would be happy to provide info (check the website).  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  You mentioned the Partners Assoc. What about those without families/spouses? What is life like for singles? And do married/singles intermingle?  
Chinikqua:  Single people make 50-60% of the student body. It seems like a lot of people get engaged during this time in their lives so the single population declines. Single life is great from the standpoint of flexibility. Married people or people with family have other considerations that may (depending on the person) prevent them from participating in all the activities that may interest them. most of them say that there is a trade off. married and singles do intermingle. there is not that much of a distinction. i personally hang out with more single people but i like to meet the families of my classmates at various activities.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  You mentioned the Partners Assoc. What about those without families/spouses? What is life like for singles? And do married/singles intermingle?  
Erin :  Even within a such a small community, certain cliques obviously develop. Very generally speaking, a lot of the students with families hang out together and the married without kids/singles group together a bit more. However, almost everyone attends Fuqua Fridays (with kids, dogs) and we all mingle at the end of each week.  

Suman (Ann Arbor):  What are the most common professional backgrounds of the women - in terms of industry and nature of the job?  
Erin :  That's difficult to say - there is incredible diversity within the entire student population and that holds true for the women as well. There are women from finance, consulting, general mgmt, marketing, technology, pretty much any industry or job type you can imagine.  

Oksana (Minsk):  Thank you Erin and Chinikqua for the answers.  
Chinikqua:  you are welcome. thanks for participating.  

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:16:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 7: We Are the World--International students abound at Fuqua. Talk to them.
December 11, 2002
Adam (Orem):  For both of you - What were your reasons for getting an MBA, why the United States, and why Duke?  
Jan:  Adam, Hi. I had 7 yrs work experience as an engineer in IT doing marketing, sales and all kinds of stuff. Time to move on. Why the US? The best place to do it I think. Most global HQ's are here. Answer 3 coming....  

Matt (Amsterdam):  Jan or Chandru, is it hard to keep up with the work as an international student?  
Chandru :  Initially its a bit hard -- but as terms roll on you would feel more comfortable. Its like with any new activity  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  What made you choose to come to the US and particularly to Fuqua?  
Chandru :  Jan just replied to that one -- hope that answers your question.  

Adam (Orem):  What do you mean by time to move on? Move on to what? Do your interests lie in other areas besides marketing/sales and out of engineering?  
Jan:  After 7 years in the industry, I had pretty much reached a ceiling. Had stopped learning and had to move to a pure sales role for promotion. Didn't want to do this... thought I didn't have the business tools to be as effective as I could be. Also, so too many engineers that had rolled into business positions that didn't really know how to handle it. If I do something I want to do it right! As for my interests. I did venture capital over the summer and really enjoyed that. Allows me to combine all my engineering skills and the cool b-school tools.  

Adam (Orem):  Chandru - Are you getting an MBA to move away from accounting and consulting or improve your skills and knowledge in those areas?  
Chandru :  I was looking for a break in investment banking -- and got my break for summer.  

lorena (lima):  Hi both. I wanted to know more about the career services, and how does Fuqua to orientate and guide internationals through the recruiting process. Thanks!  
Jan:  Iorena. I've been heavily involved with career services here. They do all they can to help international students. And we have a tough time in this economy... even more so than our American colleagues. But I believe that the extra attention we're given really helps us. All kinds of things from networking workshops, mock interviews to cold calling help.  

John Graham (Edinburgh):  Guys, what did you do for the summer? Did you have trouble finding a job?  
Chandru :  I interned with Merrill Lynch at London. Investment banks usually are the first ones to recruit on campus and I got recruited in the very first week. That said, international students did have difficulty in finding summer positions by and large.  

lorena (lima):  Chandru and Jan, which concentration are you pursuing, and how do you both see the High Tech Market. How about the RTP, do you have additional chances to get a job because of the nearby to the research center?  
Jan:  Lorena. I'm not really concentrating on anything. Since I'm interested in running my own company eventually. This flexibility is a nice thing at Fuqua, you can concentrate if you want, but don't have to. The high tech market... well... not sure there are nice words for it ;o) We're not doing too badly though: the companies that are hiring, do hire here. We've had Lucent, Microsoft, Siebel, TeraData, Avaya, Dell etc... recruiting here. The Triangle area definitely is a plus: there are many startups here. And some people do what's called a Mentored Study in Entrepreneurship. Then of course there's a lot of large established tech companies here: IBM, Nortel, SAS, Cisco...  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Hi, Jan and Chandru, as foreign students going to B-school, usually it is more beneficial for them to go to schools that are located in big, commercial city. However, Duke is located in a small and quiet city. Is there anything particular that attracted you to Duke?  
Chandru :  One of my key reasons for coming to Duke was that its in a small city. Students tend to mingle around more and its true that you can build stronger bonds. I would say that having spent a year and half here, its quite true. Also personally, I had spent all of my time working in a big city. It was this small city experience that attracted me to Duke.  

Kristine (Santa Clara):  how do international students bring their culture to Fuqua (activities, etc.)? and how do international students learn more about life in the US while at Fuqua?  
Jan:  Sharing of culture happens in the classroom as well as out of the classroom. Many classes are very interactive and you get many perspectives from the international students on how business is done in their respective cultures. In addition, a number of cases specifically deal with business in certain countries, which really allows the international students to share their experiences. Outside class, we have 5 or 6 international clubs, and most of their members are from the US. So at club events, you learn from each other. Then there's a really cool International Food Festival, during which international students cook food from their country. This is excellent fun! What restaurant serves food from 40 countries?  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Chandru, thank you for the answer. However, how do you adjust your way of life from big cities to a small one, as life there is not so convenient as that in big cities, particularly when it comes to looking for a job or internship?  
Jan:  Jiaqi, coming here from London, it was quite an adjustment... Instead of having 50 theaters, there are 2, instead of 15,000 restaurants there are 100. But it's fine after a while... you don't have time for it anyway! Plus the environment is what makes Fuqua what it is. We're a very close bunch and hang out a lot together. The Team Fuqua you read about is for real.  

lorena (lima):  For internationals, what kind of special job fairs has Fuqua organized as far?  
Chandru :  We have the career fairs in Orlando for all internationals, another one for the Latin Americans which has a very high participation rate. You will find quite a few internationals being successful in building networks at these fairs. In addition, Fuqua has organizing weeks in London and Weeks in Hong Kong this month.  

lorena (lima):  As most of us are potential students (I'm applying for 2nd round), do you know what kind of characteristics is the admissions committee looking for in each of the prospective students? thanks!  
Jan:  Lorena. We don't really answer specific admissions questions here...  

lorena (lima):  What about the alumni? do you have had an additional help coming from the alumni? Have you been part of any week in cities tour?  
Jan:  Lorena. I actually organized the Week in London tour last year. We got to see banks and general management companies. As a result we got some banks to run separate interview schedules for London for the first time. (they're usually tagged onto the NY schedule). It was a great experience. Both to run it and to be there. Made good contacts, met with alumni etc... Most things here are run and organized by students. So if you wanted a Week in Paris, you could make it happen!  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Jan, thank you for the answer. With regard to IMPACT, are the companies that pay you guys to go abroad mostly American companies, or also companies from other countries?  
Jan:  They're actually non-US companies that are trying to enter the US market. I know of a Jordanian company, and a Welsh company that people have helped.  

lorena (lima):  What about the alumni? do you have had an additional help coming from the alumni? Have you been part of any week in cities tour?  
Chandru :  I will take the alumni one, Jan will address the week in cities. Alumni network is quite strong at Fuqua. Most students have experienced a lot of support especially during these job market times. Being part of Fuqua opens the door to opportunities. Quite a few internships last year were a result of the strong alumni support. You can feel the commitment the alumni bring in. That clearly speaks volumes for the school.  

lorena (lima):  Yes, I spent 3 days there last october, and there I found what I was looking for. It really was useful experience! I was just trying to know more about the student-body, and what kind of common characteristics do you find in international Fuqua students. Have you noted any?  
Jan:  Apart from the fact that we all carry foreign passports, I don't see too many common factors. We're extremely diverse and come from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures. Pretty much a mirror of the US student population  

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-9-21 12:17:08编辑过]
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:19:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 8: Diversity Abounds at Fuqua Different points of view work together
January 28, 2003
Aaron Sanandres (New York):  Do you ever feel "out of the loop" given Fuqua's location? If not, how does Fuqua address this?  
Candice:  In reference to where? If you are speaking to New York or Chicago or the west coast, no I don't. Recruiters come from all over, so do my fellow classmates. Did I answer your question?  

Ashley Springer (Atlanta):  Hi. Thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions. What events does Team Fuqua hold to celebrate the diversity of the student body? How much direct involvement do the students have in planning and organizing these events? Have new diversity events been planned by students in the past few years?  
Chandra:  Welcome Ashley! We at Fuqua have arious Diversity events scheduled through out the year. Som events are run by the Diversity Cabinet directly and some by the clubs sch as the Black and Lational MBA Organization. Some of the key events include a Diversity Conference, a BLMBAO Conference, a Diversity Contest, workshops and many informal events including movie screenigs etc. These are fully conceived and organized the stuents.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Given the professional backgrounds represented in a typical Fuqua class, do you feel that there is ample exposure to NGO and governmental perspectives in class discussions and projects?  
Candice:  Depending on the class. In accounting, finance, and pharmaceutical strategy, a government perspective is critical. It affects how you can conduct business.  

Eli (Austin):  Hello Candice and Chandra, I have a general question: Fuqua’s diversity certainly looks great on paper, but some schools that have diverse student bodies are plagued with self-segregation problems - have your experiences lived up to the promised diversity, both inside and outside the classroom?  
Chandra:  Eli, That's a very good question an I am going to try an answer it as honestly as I can. Inevitably, there are som self-segregated groups, but as general rule, these are very minimal. This is mainly because o our firt year experience when we are assigned teams and you end up working with people from different backgrounds. This enables one to break the ice and move forward.  

Eli (Austin):  Hello Candice and Chandra, I have a general question: Fuqua’s diversity certainly looks great on paper, but some schools that have diverse student bodies are plagued with self-segregation problems - have your experiences lived up to the promised diversity, both inside and outside the classroom?  
Candice:  From my perspective, we do not have a self-segregation problem. I believe it's human nature to interact with people with similar backgrounds as yourself but that background includes ethnicity, professional experience, personal interest, status-single or married. You will find that everyone takes advantage of interacting with people that are different from them to learn and have fun.  

eddie martin (los angeles):  What are the responsibilities of the Diversity Cabinet?  
Chandra:  The Diversity Cabinet coordinates all diversity related events and activities at Fuqua. It works closely with various student run clubs, the administration and the student cabinet to ensure that diversity pervades all walks of Fuqua life. It also conducts various events through out the year.  

Jenny Fernandez (New York):  Hello everyone! How would you describe the cultural diversity at Fuqua?  
Candice:  We embrace all cultures here at Fuqua. We have various events that are reflective of this attitude. For example, Fuqua Friday's that focus on the Asian culture.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Are there any specific steps that the career services office is taking to help international students find internships/jobs given the tough market situation for F1 visa students?  
Chandra:  Yes. Many new contacts hve been identified at companies that previously did not come to campus, specific counselling provided to various students with respect to career path and a person is fully assigned to work with international students and help them in their job serach.  

Byung-Gun Park (Seoul):  Hi. This is Byung-Gun. Is there any special program for making the relationship between US and international students closer? I think that freqeunt contacts between two groups are important in terms of diversity.  
Candice:  Yes we do. We have the International Buddy program. In your first year, we pair international and american students together to make the transition easier for arriving to the US, and sharing different perspectives.  

Matt Williams (Memphis):  Thanks for being available to answer our questions. Which non-US country is most represented in the Fuqua student body?  
Chandra:  India, currently. but there are lots of other ethnicities and nationalities in here. No single country other than Amerians typically constitute more than 5%.  

Ramin Tabib (Murray Hill, NJ):  How about socially, do the minority groups get together on a regular basis? Would you say there is a strong cultural bond there?  
Candice:  Yes we do. We have clubs such as INDUS and BLMBAO-Black and Latino MBA Organization.  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  Candice and Chandra, it's nice to make your acquaintance. Does Fuqua group together in team projects individuals from various academic and professional backgrounds? How does Fuqua capitalize on diversity in the classroom?  
Chandra:  During the first year, people are assigned to groups - these groups are so designed to leverage on the various backgrounds in Fuqua. In the second year, people are generally free to choose their own teams.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Candice, thanks for bringing up the married vs. single perspective. Are there any programs, events etc. planned by the school to help spouses adjust?  
Candice:  Yes and it's a great program. It's called the Partners Program. The spouses of students get together and participate in various activities. They have a tight support network.  

Jason (Denver):  Could either of you comment on any specific negative experiences you've had w/regard to diversity and/or the self-segregation mentioned in a previous question? Also interested in postitive experiences...  
Chandra:  I am not aware of any specific negative experiences, except that those students who prefer to self segregte themselves normally end up missing on a great Fuqua experience. In terms of positive experiences, the close relationships that we hve established with people from vrious ethnicities and backgrounds speaks volumes...  

Jenny Fernandez (New York):  How would you describe Fuqua's culture in the classroom, in social settings and how does the student body interact with the outside community?  
Candice:  The classroom environment is very interactive, depending on the course. In most classes, the professors encourage the students to share their experiences that are related to the topic at hand. In social settings, we generally hang out in the same area. In this "hopping" city of Durham, we are dependent upon each other for entertainment. We interact with the outside community on a constant basis. From my experience, I participate, along with others at school, in raising money for the North Carolina Special Olympics. I specifically help by putting on a fashion show that involves the Fuqua community, Special Olympic athletes, local businesses, and Kenan-Flagler students. I also work with a local non-profit on marketing based projects.  

ross:  Hello guys, can you please talk about the international student experience at Duke. Does Durham location make any difference? How is it different from being in Boston, New York or Chicago?  
Chandra:  As an international student myself, I can assure you that I find Durham better, atleast during the 2 years of my education. This is mainly so because one is so hard pressed for time that I would rather not lose 2 hours on commuting. Also, Durhamand the triangle area offers a very active night life and is close to the mountains, beaches and the cities. You frequently get to visit the cities too.  

Byung-Gun Park (Seoul):  What is Fuqua's distinctive feature over other top schools in terms of diversity?  
Candice:  I would note our international representation which is 34% of our Class of 2003 !!!  

Jun (Los Angeles):  Can you describe the different perspectives you've been able to acquire as a result of a diverse student body?  
Candice:  Yes I can. For example in my pharma. strategy class, I learned how marketing differs in various countries and the issues/taboos that surround it. We had medical professionals from Greece, India, and Korea in our class.  

Simon Frisch (Atlanta, GA):  I am familiar with Fuqua Partners, but beyond a club, to what extent are married couples included in the Fuqua culture? When organizing these fun diversity events you speak of, are spouses always invited? Have you ever felt like someone's spouse was too involved in a Fuqua event?  
Chandra:  Fuqua partners are involved in almost all walks of a student's life - expect those arduous team meetings that run into the wee hours of the morning.....Fo most social events, Fuqua partners are invited. Also, the partners community is pretty strong here and normally they en up having various events of their own.  

Aaron Sanandres (New York):  I've heard a lot about Fuqua's empahsis on teaming -- do you find that this stiffles the entrepreneurial spirit (or individualism) at Fuqua? If not, how does Fuqua maintain this balance?  
Candice:  Not at all. There are several opportunities to show your entrepreneurial spirit here. In the team environment, your individual contribution is critical. Dean Breeden not only emphasizes a team environment but also individuality.  

Eli (Austin):  Thank you for your candid answers! Following up, would you please elaborate on the assigned team structure during the first year? Are these teams fixed for the whole year? Are these teams related to the ILE’s?  
Candice:  No the team is not fixed. You will generally work that team for the first two terms, unless someone has exempted from a course, which will change the team. You will have the opportunity to select your own team for certain classes later in the year.  

kimtaka (Tokyo):  Hi Candice and Chandra, this is Takashi. My spouse want to participate in some activities in Fuqua. Can she play a positive role in such activities? Can you give some examples?  
Candice:  Yes she can !!! Back to the example I gave earlier, the North Carolina Special Olympics fundraiser- The Mosiac Fashion Show, has spouses participate as models and in the execution of the show.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Candice and Chandra: What are some tangible advantages that you have experienced in being exposed to the diverse Fuqua student community, in terms of professional insights, personal understanding etc?  
Chandra:  The real world out there in almost all cases requires us to work with people from a variety of backgrounds. Our experience at Fuqua is a very good base for this. Especially as more and more B-schools rely on cse learning where you are expected to solve real-life problems, an Olympic athlete and an Airforce pilot can contribute a lot to a typical engineer and a banker. Also, these tems enbles us to understand people as persons.  

Matt Williams (Memphis):  What aspect of diversity at Fuqua has suprised you the most?  
Candice:  Although we are a diverse community, it is quite eerie how we are all the same with our committment to the Fuqua community as a whole - the admissions process, clubs, the Durham community.  

Jun (Los Angeles):  Would you say that international students generally return to their countries or stay in the U.S.? I ask because I'm curious about the Fuqua alumni network's international presence ... I'm not with the INS, or anything ...  
Chandra:  Even if you are with the INS, a fact is a fact, ain't it :-). Many international students have traditionally managed to find jobs in the US. However, the %age of students returning to home countries last year was higher than before.  

eddie martin (los angeles):  Do you see diversity represented within the faculty at Fuqua? Relative to other schools, does Fuqua have a strong presence of woman/minority/international professors?  
Candice:  For example, we have 17 female professors and one African-American. Fuqua is making an effort to improve this number.  

CoolDude (Delhi, India):  The correct emphasis on diversity and effective teamwork are probably the differentiators that have pushed Fuqua to the Top 8. How do we go ahead from here? I mean, Wharton emphasizes internationalism, Kellogg stresses teamwork... (Other schools also emphasize on the SAME things...Stern calls itself the most international program, Tuck is synonymous with teamwork, and so on)...What will actually be the KEY DIFFERENTIATOR from the threshold level that Fuqua has contemporarily attainted?  
Candice:  I can not speak for the school, but from my view is our global focus. Our partnerships with other top international MBA programs as well as growing number in international alumni.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hello Candice and Chandra. I have a general question: Fuqua has a small class size (a group of around 340 individuals) and it values teamwork (¡§TEAM FUQUA¡¨). How do these qualities make Fuqua stand out among the top business schools?  
Chandra:  Many schools in the top normally promote a mixture of individual work and team work and Fuqua is no exception to that. However, with the emphasis on Team Fuqua, you do not see cut throat competition with my collegaue trying to get ahead at my expense. This creates great bonding and leads to long-lasting relationships and very good support from the alumni network.  

Simon Frisch (Atlanta, GA):  Is there an active Jewish community at Fuqua?  
Chandra:  Yes. there is a a Jewish Business Club and there are various community events held by the club besides various informal get togethers  

Aaron Sanandres (New York):  Sorry for the follow up, but I guess I was interested in how Dean Breeden promotes individualism at Fuqua. Thanks Candice.  
Chandra:  Aaron - during last term's address by the Dean to some of the Cabinet members, he said that this is an issue tht he wants to tackle head-on and is coming up with some initiatives. I am not very sure as to th exact nature of his initiatives, but can check with him, if you are interested.  

Daniel (Allen, TX):  Can you elaborate on whether Fuqua students have opportunities to travel to other countries to study and maybe intern?  
Candice:  We have several opportunities to travel abroad. We do this through our GATE - Global Academic Travel Experience-course; an exchange program and internships. The GATE course is a six-week course where we learn about specific countries' economy, culture, religion, business practices. We learn through speakers, group presentations,and actually visiting the country/countries for a two week period. In your second year, you can participate in an exchange program with other top MBA programs in several countries such as South Africa, Thailand, England.  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  Given that in today's environment professionals must be able to interact with individuals from a variety of business backgrounds: explaining issues, addressing concerns, and obtaining consensus, what experiences have you had that will foster this ability upon your graduation.  
Candice:  You have the opportunity to practice and refine this skill in most courses, especially those that have cases. More specifically, we have communication courses that assist in this area as well. They are core classes in your first year.  

Jun (Los Angeles):  Isn't Dean Breeden new? If so, can you comment on how the school has changed?  
Chandra:  Yes, Dean Breeden is new. However both Cnadice and I have only seen him at work and not the previous one - so it will be difficult for us to say how the school has changed. All I can say is that both the Deans want to see Fuqua among the elitest schools.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hello Candice and Chandra. Please comment on YOUR EXPERIENCES in the 2-week long ILE courses.  
Candice:  I will not go in depth about this experience because I would not want to ruin this awesome experience for others. I learned so much about my fellow classmates during this time. It really drove home the meaning of a team - how to contribute, how to depend, understanding, encouraging communication. You learn about so many other things as well but you must go through it to develop your own opinion.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  My Undergrad institution had separate minority career fairs to supplement the general ones, is there such a thing at Fuqua?  
Candice:  We do not have separate minority career fairs.  

kimtaka (Tokyo):  Thank you, Candice!  
Candice:  You are very welcome !  

CoolDude (Delhi, India):  In the present job market, internationals are having a relatively toughter times when it comes to finding the US job, post MBA. Managing and leveraging diversity at the school is all very fine, but does this not translate into an unreal hand-holding for 2 years? I mean, at the end of the 2 years, reality hits the international student when he realizes that he is at a relative disadvantage vis-a-vis his US counterparts. Some other schools (older ones) are delibrately keeping the students in sync with the reality. Do you feel that there should be a better balance between in-the-school and out-of-the-school comfort zone of the international student?  
Chandra:  Managing and promoting diversity at the school does not have to be out-of-sync with reality. Diversity is on-going while your education, background and training is what builds you up for your job. Your diverse experiences and viewpoints can help in this process. And just for your information, lot of international students have jobs.  

Ashley Springer (Atlanta):  Have either of you participated in the GATE program? If so, how do the diverse backgrounds of the students enhance the GATE experience?  
Candice:  Yes I have participated, it was one of the best experiences of my life. In this class you are learning more about that specific country, so if we had students that conducted business or visited that country we were able to get their perspective. In addition, we had exchange students and classmates from the various countries that provided information as well.  

Byung-Gun Park (Seoul):  3. I would like to know whether the exchange programs with other foreign schools are popular among Fuqua students. What percentage of students participate? How about the participation rate in the case of GATE program?  
Chandra:  Yes. Very much so. This year, around 50 students have gone on exchange and many more wanted to, but were unable to get their choice of schools. We normally have 34 students to a GATE class and there are 6 GATE offerings every year. I am sure you can do the calcultion.  

Ramin Tabib (Murray Hill, NJ):  Can you comment on how many american students are culturally diverse (backgrounds). Are there many Americans with international work experience?  
Candice:  I'm not sure with respect to what you are specifically looking for in that first question. If you want specific numbers, our website has a break-down of our class demographic. We have several American students that have international work experience - consultants, professional athletes, bankers....etc.  

Daniel (Allen, TX):  Will every Fuqua student have the opportunity to choose to travel abroad for study or internship?  
Chandra:  If they are interested - generally yes. However, if someone wants to be in a specific country or school tht might be more difficult.  

Larry (Silicon Valley):  In regards to the alumni network, I heard that Fuqua is pushing heavily for more involvement from alumni and pushing for "life long learning." What activities are Fuqua trying to promote to strengthen their alumni base?  
Candice:  We have several initiatives. We include them in the admissions process; we have liasons within our class with active alumni clubs; as well as alumni return from their respective companies to recruit current students.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Thanks for taking the time in answering our questions. I am VERY interested in the GATE program that provides fascinating and invaluable insights and experiences in foreign business environments. Please tell me more about it!  
Chandra:  You can go to the Fuqua course listings page and read bout the course. If you still have questions, pls shoot us an email.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Slightly off the topic, what kind of access do students have to faculty? Do you feel that you get adequate opportunity to interact with professors?  
Candice:  We have more than adequate access to faculty. Most faculty have an open door policy.  

Eli (Austin):  Based on your previous responses, I am confident that spouses are well-integrated into the Fuqua community. However, are there any social events or activities that are specifically oriented towards those students who are single?  
Candice:  We don't have single-based activities. We generally interact with each other, so marital status is not an issue.  

Sameer Narula (New Delhi):  Thank you Candice and Chandra, you have been very helpful and informative. Hope to see you at Fuqua.  
Candice:  You are welcome !! Good luck !!  

Aaron Sanandres (New York):  Thanks Candice and Chandra for taking the time today...perhaps I'll see you down in NC as I'm heading down for an interview this Thursday.  
Candice:  You are welcome ! !! Good luck !!  

Daniel (Allen, TX):  How closely do the different ethnic student clubs interact with each other? And how often do native students participate in their activities? Thanks  
Chandra:  Intercation among clubs is pretty much on a need basis - that is if two clubs want to co-host an event or the like. Last week, the Diversity Cabinet, the Gay Lesbian Straight alliance and the South Asian Business Club got together to screen a movie and provide some social interaction.  

CoolDude (Delhi):  Thanks Chandra... you guys are doing an amazing job   
Chandra:  Thank you.  

kimtaka (Tokyo):  Do you have something to keep in mind to enjoy the diversity?  
Candice:  It's part of our everyday Fuqua life. I don't know of any other environment that is as diverse as Fuqua !! I try to take advantage of this rare opportunity everyday !!  

Jun (Los Angeles):  Chandra, you're from India ... Is "CoolDude" a common name in India? What does it mean?  
Chandra:  CoolDude is not a name - it is a handle that person has chosen for himself.  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  Is particular focus given to emerging countries in the GATE course?  
Candice:  As most things at Fuqua, students have an input on the countries that the GATE course evolves around.  

Kriss Shin (Seoul):  What is the GATE program? Is this regular curriculum?  
Chandra:  ls refer to the Fuqua Course web page for details. If you still have any questions, you can email either of us.  

nikhil (new delhi):  I believe that expertise and perspectives from other disciplines add to the diversity of a program. what is the degree of interaction between students of other disciplines at Duke University and graduate students at Fuqua?  
Candice:  We have several opportunities to interact with other graduate students through the following activities: -First and foremost, you are Duke student, so you can take classes in the other graduate programs -We have a graduate school organization that has activities -We have a Duke Start-Up Challenge where various students can participate to start up a business  

Kriss Shin (Seoul):  I am truly interested in starting Business in Singapore. Does any exchange program in Fuqua could help me?  
Chandra:  Kriss - we have many entrepreneurial courses that give you a good foundation on this topic. You can also consider having an exchange program with a school in Singapore, though we currently have none set up.  
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:22:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 9ife in the Triangle
Find out what living in this part of the U.S. is really like.
February 12, 2003

Scott Starr (Chicago):  Do you have much time outside of your studies to enjoy NC and surrounding areas?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Hi Scott - This is Alexa. There is definitely time outside of studies to enjoy the many things that NC and the surrounding areas have to offer. Second year provides much more freedom, but, as long as you are committed to getting out there and exploring, there is time to see and do much.  

Brian (San Francisco):  What surprised you most about Durham when you moved there?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Brian - How is SF? I was in the Bay Area for 10 years prior to Fuqua. The thing that surprised me the most is this - for a non-metropolitan area, there are surpisingly many good places to eat, hang out, catch a professional sports game (hockey or AAA baseball), etc. It definitely is different than being in a city, but it is still enjoyable.  

Michal Petrzela (London):  Hi- I am wondering how much time you spend on campus, and also what you do off-campus socially?  
Alexa Constantinides:  First year, I spent quite a bit of time on campus - both involved in team meetings/school work as well as some of the bonding social activities (i.e. Fuqua Friday). My fiancee now lives in the area and we take advantage of lots of off-campus activities. Whether it is hiking on the trails out here, going to dinner/drinks in Chapel Hill, catching a Bulls game or meeting with friends for pool or bowling, you can find things away from Duke.  

Kelli (NYC):  Where do most Duke students live -- in Durham, or the surrounding towns, like Chapel Hill?  
Beth Fulton:  Most students live in Durham, off-campus, but within a few miles of Fuqua. A few people do live in or toward Chapel Hill. I think there are a handful of people in other area communities as well. (This is Beth, answering Van's questions until he arrives.)  

Will Reale (San Francisco):  Do most Fuqua students live in the same general area, or are they spread out?  
Beth Fulton:  Most students who rent are within about five apt. complexes. There are a few neighborhoods where other students often buy houses.  

Chris (Phoenix):  I've heard from a recent alum that the triangle is a little lacking in ethnic restaurants.  
Alexa Constantinides:  Depends what you are looking for as far as ethnic. Not as many indian restaurants or sushi bars as I might have liked, but there are lots of other good options. Mexican, Greek, Ethiopian, a few Thai places are available. They have also opened 3 new pan-Asian places so the selection is expanding.  

Michal Petrzela (London):  I am also curious about how much of the social activities tend to be organized by Duke, and how much is organized by students?  
Beth Fulton:  We have a regular Friday social gathering known as Fuqua Friday (school organizes). There are a variety of other social activities organized by Duke (when I say Duke, I'm including the MBA Association, which is student-run), but we certainly tend to do a great deal of socializing at restaurants, homes, etc.  

Brian (San Francisco):  Alexa, you mentioned your fiancee. How would you describe the NC experience for spouses/significant others of Fuqua students?  
Alexa Constantinides:  There are lots of things to do for spouses and significant others. Through Fuqua, there is a very active partners group which hosts activities frequently. If your significant other chooses to work while here, then there are is also a great, friendly but manageable in size professional community that is very open and accepting of new folks.  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  Alexa, Van, it's nice to make your acquaintance. Which of the companies recruiting at Duke are situated in the Durham area?  
Beth Fulton:  This is Beth. I can't give you an absolutely complete answer (contact our Career Management Center for that), but some that come to mind are: Glaxo SmithKline, IBM, John Deere. Those are just a tiny sampling, though - very "off the top of my head." Please do follow up on that w/the CMC if it is of interest to you.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  What is the "average" rent for the Durham area?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Dan - Average rent is roughly $800 for a single apartment, $900-$1100 for a 2 bedroom and slightly more for a 3 bedroom - so, if you can find a roommate, it helps quite a bit with the budget. This year, I am renting a house, which is also a very reasonable option. We have a 3 bedroom that is $1100. It is great.  

Michal Petrzela (London):  Do people tend to live in houses or apartments- is there any on-campus housing?  
Beth Fulton:  Houses and apartments. I would be surprised if more than 10 people live in on-campus housing. Off-campus options are just so much nicer!  

Simon Frisch (Atlanta, GA):  Thanks to Beth too...I also was curious roughly how much a two bedroom apartment goes for in the Duke vicinity?  
Beth Fulton:  Range seems to be from about 700-1200. I rented a nice two-bedroom for 932 last year. There a many new complexes in the area, though, so rent specials abound!  

Scott Starr (Chicago):  Do you travel with your classmates much (ski trips, beach trips, whatever), or do schedules make it tough to do so?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Scott- Depends on the term and the group of folks. I would say the largest limiting factor is budgets while at school. Plenty of folks do weekend trips to the beach, mountains, DC, etc (driving). I am not a big skier, so I can't really help you there. Flights from RDU are also fairly cheap, so you can get lots of places easily and economically.  

Lando (Philadelphia):  Hi, do students tend to purchase real estate or rent apartments near campus? What types of options area there within walking distance? Driving distance?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Lando - I would say that most students live within 5 miles of campus and, within that radius, all types of rental as well as purchase options are available. There isn't terribly much in walking distance, though.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hello Van and Alexa. In the brochure, it states that Durham is ¡§ranked the best place to live.¡¨ Based on YOUR EXPERIENCE, please comment on this fascinating statement.  
Beth Fulton:  I'm not looking at it, but I think that might refer to the Triangle area, which is quite a bit more than Durham. I've found it to be a nice place to live, though, and a great place to go to bschool. Have always been able to find places to eat, socialize, shop, etc. The difference between this area and some cities is that you probably are going to be driving to do the above activities. Weather's good (I come from the Great Lakes area) most of the time, too! Cost of living is quite reasonable. Am hoping to stay in the area after graduation.  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Hi! Alexa and Van, my questions have more to do with life at Fuqua in particular, instead of in the Triangle in general. Will you please tell me that how far is the nearest rental residential apartment building or house from Fuqua? And how far is the nearest supermarket from Fuqua?  
Beth Fulton:  There are a few apts. within walking distance (probably a 10-15 minute walk). The closest grocery is probably two miles from Fuqua. It's rare to go to school here and not have a car, if that's what you are asking.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hello Van and Alexa. In the brochure, it states that Durham is ¡§ranked the best place to live.¡¨ Based on YOUR EXPERIENCE, please comment on this fascinating statement.  
Alexa Constantinides:  My guess is that this comment comes from the following: The quality of life here is pretty good. Salaries are above average given the cost of living. The fact that 2 major universities are within 40 miles, one of the worlds best medical centers, the Research Triangle business community are here helps. The crime is low. The schools are decent. Taxes are low. It is fairly inexpensive to purchase a house. And, there is a good deal of cultural diversity for such a small area. Does that help?  

Adrian (Atlanta):  How does one find a roommate for the first year?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Hi Adrian, I found a great roommate last year over the bulletin boards. Also, lots of folks find roommates at Blue Devil weekend.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  Durham seemed be more urban than Chapel Hill, where do you find yourselves spending more recreational time?  
Beth Fulton:  robably about 50/50 for me. There are some nice restaurants and pubs in Chapel Hill, but there are also some popular spots in Durham. Other people go over to Raleigh for more serious "club-type" socializing.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  Durham seemed be more urban than Chapel Hill, where do you find yourselves spending more recreational time?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Dan - Durham is definitely more urban, but Chapel Hill definitely caters more to the young professional than Durham. There are more bars, places to eat, etc. there. When we go out, we usually hit Chapel Hill.  

Peru (Lima):  What activities can my wife and kid participate/do while I´m in school?  
Beth Fulton:  Well, Fuqua Partners is the club for families and significant others of Fuqua students. They are a great access point for information about activities. I know that beyond socializing with other Fuqua families, there are museums, parks, etc. to enjoy. Also the ocean and the mountains are within a few hours drive.  

Michal Petrzela (London):  is parking on campus an issue?  
Alexa Constantinides:  arking isn't an issue. Everyone who wants a pass gets one. It isn't cheap, though. The cost is either $150 or $225 depending on what lot you get assigned.  

Simon Frisch (Atlanta, GA):  Thanks Van and Alexa for answering our questions...Is there a strong technology-related business community in the Triangle area?  
Beth Fulton:  Yes. In fact, many students do mentored study programs during the school year with these businesses.  

Michal Petrzela (London):  How are the athletic facilities- is there a pool?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Athletic facilities are great. The student gym is excellent with an indoor pool, basketball and racquetball courts, cardio machines, yoga, kickboxing, aerobics classes, etc. all for $25 per semester. If you are married, your spouse can go for the same price (I believe)  

Scott Starr (Chicago):  Do you feel the RDU geography has limited your networking or post-school career opportunities in any way?  
Beth Fulton:  I don't think it does and it's certainly not a complaint I've heard from classmates. We get top recruiters here. Also, students organize Week-in-Cities trips to visit companies located in other cities, which expands one's contacts with companies that may not visit campus.  

Chris (Kansas City):  What types of outdoor activities are available in the area (mountain biking, skiing, etc.)?  
Alexa Constantinides:  chris - mountain biking, hiking, kayaking (about 2 hours away if you want to do ocean kayaking), skiing is about 3.5 to 6 hours away (depending where you go). There is excellent golf as well. Anything I missed?  

Adrian (Atlanta):  What is the average rent for a one bedroom apartment one can expect to pay in Durham?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Average rent for a 1 bedroom is between $600-$850 or $900.  

Chris (Kansas City):  Does Fuqua participate in local events or partner with local community organizations?  
Beth Fulton:  Sure. A few that come to mind are: our support of the Special Olympics of North Carolina, Habitat for Humanity and other community service organizations. Students are also involved in the Triangle Area Entrepreneurs (and probably other groups I'm forgetting).  

Scott Starr (Chicago):  Are there cultural opportunities in RDU such as theater, museums, etc?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Scott - Theater is in Raleigh and the universities also have productions. There are some museums, great botanical gardens, a planetarium, ballet. If you take advantage of all of the programs coming to Duke, you can find orchestras, opera and great speakers, too.  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Alexa, when you talked about parking fee of $150-$225, is it monthly rate?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Nope, that is for the year. You pay in August and it lasts until August the following year. Actually, it is a pretty good deal given some folks pay that a month for a garage in the City.  

Michael Rendon (New York):  lease discuss Management Consulting opportunities at Fuqua (classes, internships, recruiters).  
Beth Fulton:  For the best answer to that, you may want to review the FuquaTalk transcript called something like "The Big Three." I also suggest contacting the Consulting Club, because those students are far more knowledgeable than am I about your questions.  

Michael Rendon (New York):  lease discuss Management Consulting opportunities at Fuqua (classes, internships, recruiters).  
Alexa Constantinides:  Your typical recruiters are here: McKinsey, Bain, Deloitte, PRTM, Booz Allen are a few. You can check with Career Services. They can give you a more comprehensive list. Usually, if firms are recruiting (which some, like Accenture are not) they come to Fuqua. It is a target school for the South East region.  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  What advantages would you say the triangle offers in terms of classroom visits by corporate leaders and community consulting projects?  
Beth Fulton:  lenty as far as the community consulting projects (there are several programs that you can participate in as a student). We have a Distinguished Speaker Series that features corporate leaders, but they come from all over the U.S. (and the world, actually).  

Kareem Dright:  What were some of the biggest adjustments you had to make once you moved to the RDU area? Would you consider working in the RDU area after graduation?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Kareem - biggest adjustments..hmm. There weren't too many - except it did take me a while to find an authentic burrito and a good sushi place. I still haven't found a good place to go dancing/clubbing but I did find a place for live music in Chapel Hill. Coming from the Bay Area, everything was less crowded (not so much traffic), rent was about 1/4 of what I was used to paying, tax is cheaper, movies are cheaper. It wasn't a bad adjustment - it is just a little more quiet.  

John H. (New York):  Hello all! I've asked a few students what they think are the best and "not-so-best" things about Fuqua. The only area of remote concern was the increase to 400 or so students. What do you think are the positives or negatives about the change?  
Beth Fulton:  This is slightly off topic, but I'll give a quick answer. Positives: more students means we can support more faculty/more elective classes, more people for recruiters to meet, slightly larger Fuqua network and more great people can be admitted. As for negatives, I think it will be a slight adjustment, but can't really see anything significant, given that we now (with the opening of the Fox Center) have lots of physical space. There are definitely people working on making sure the adjustment goes as smoothly as possible, too!  

Brian (San Francisco):  How does the Durham location affect recruiting with West Coast firms?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Brian - if you are still there... The West Coast recruiting is OK, but definitely getting better. Microsoft, Intel, Amgen, Guidant and some other firms were here. There are Week in Cities trips, which are during either Fall or Winter Breaks. During these times, you visit companies in areas of the countries of interest. They seem to work pretty well. Both my roommate last year and I came from California. She ended up finding a job at Neutrogena in LA through an independent job search. It is definitely do-able, and, as the alumni base grows and proliferates to the West Coast, things will only improve.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  In regards to the athletic facilities, is there time to participate in intramural or club sports? Also, is there a free weight facility?  
Beth Fulton:  Lots of students participate in intramural sports (flag football, volleyball come to mind) and club sports (such as rugby and soccer). The Wilson Center has a room with free weights.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  Is there an organization or group that my wife could get in touch with in regards to finding a job?(She's an environmental engineer.)  
Alexa Constantinides:  There are resources here at Fuqua as well as some of your standard Monster.com type things that significant others can use to find jobs. She could probably contact the environmental engineering school here at Duke (I think they have one) and ask about local firms, resources, etc. Other than that, you can leverage the alumni database of both your undergrad institution and Fuqua. The economy isn't great right now, so it may take a bit of creative work and lots of digging.  

Will Reale (San Francisco):  How easy is it for Fuqua students to get into basketball games?  
Beth Fulton:  Easier than for undergrads! Seriously, all grad students have the opportunity to camp out for the chance to buy a season basketball pass. Campout occurs over a September weekend and it definitely is a Duke tradition worth trying at least once. Most Fuqua students team up in groups and share the tickets won by group members. I've been to several (plenty of) games.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  I have heard from an alumnus that it is the best place to PLAY GOLF. Is it true?  
Beth Fulton:  I'm not much of a golfer, but it's a great place to golf from what I hear. The Washington Duke course is across from our student parking lots and students get discounts. Weather is good so people play pretty much year round. There are other area courses as well.  

Kelli (NYC):  How much interaction is there between Fuqua and other grad programs? (My SO will be a PhD student.)  
Alexa Constantinides:  Kelli- There isn't much formal interaction scheduled between Fuqua and other grad student programs, but, the grad student association definitely plans events for the general population. One of my good friends here at Fuqua's wife is in the Public Policy school, so there is some interaction.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hi, Alexa. You stated various restaurants in answering the question about ethnic restaurants. I am just wondering are there Chinese restaurants?  
Alexa Constantinides:  There definitely are chinese restaurants - although they may be more "americanized" chinese restaurants. Hope that helps.  

Adrian (Atlanta):  If we are talking about recruiting, how does the international recruiting go - are there any international companies that recruit at Fuqua? How about the consulting companies - any chance of getting a job in Europe through one of them?  
Beth Fulton:  There are definitely international companies that recruit here and I have heard about people getting consulting offers for European cities. Again, the best answers will come from the Career Center and/or the Consulting Club.  

Annie Qiaofeng Xiao (Houston):  Are there any apartments for couple students? Are they furnished? Thank you.  
Beth Fulton:  Do you mean to share with another student? Yes, there are a variety of floorplans, from one bedroom to three bedrooms, available in the area. There are some furnished apts. for rent, but I would advise you to consider buying used or inexpensive furniture instead as it will likely be much cheaper.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  This is slightly off topic, I'm interested in investment management, will I most likely have to go out side of the Raleigh Durham area to find an internship?  
Alexa Constantinides:  There are definitely Venture Capital opportunities here and Charlotte (about 2 hours away) is now the 2nd largest banking center in the US outside of New York. I don't know specifically about investment management...sorry.  

Dan (Cincinnati):  Thanks to both of you for your time.  
Beth Fulton:  You're welcome!  

Sadhna Sachdev (Philadelphia):  How far away are hiking and kayaking areas? How high does the temperature get in the Triangle?  
Alexa Constantinides:  Hi Sadhna- There is hiking within 10 minutes of campus, and, within about a 2 hour drive, you can get lots of hiking and ocean kayaking. I believe you can also river kayak not so far from here, but I am uncertain.  

Annie Qiaofeng Xiao (Houston):  Thank you, Beth. Both my husband and I applied for Duke round 2. If we move to Durham, I prefer to live with my husband.  
Beth Fulton:  Ah, I understand your question now! I think you would find many good options as far as apartments or houses to rent.  

Jiaqi Chen (Brooklyn):  Beth, will you please tell me what may be the approximate monthly expense in renting a car in Durham. I ask this question, because I live in New York City, which is where one doesn't need a car. Taxis and car services are not expensive and plentiful.  
Beth Fulton:  You might decide buying an inexpensive, yet reliable, car is better. Graduating students often sell cars before moving back to places like NYC, so you can get a good deal (something from $2,500-$5,000, probably). Leasing is probably more like $250+/month (total guess on my part), plus insurance in either case.  

Zhong Chen (Houston):  Hi Beth, We got two cars in Houston,how about transportation in Durham? do we have to keep our cars there? Thanks!  
Beth Fulton:  You would definitely want at least one car here!  

Zhong Chen (Houston):  Hi Beth, We got two cars in Houston,how about transportation in Durham? do we have to keep our cars there? Thanks!  
Alexa Constantinides:  Hi- this is Alexa. You will definitely need your cars in Durham. Public transportation is almost non-existant (i.e there is a bus and it doesn't really go very many useful places). I would definitely keep your cars.  
8#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:24:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 10: Career Management Center
The inside story about MBA students and the job hunt.
February 24, 2003
Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hello Avery and Patrizio. I am an international student from Taiwan. How difficult is it now to secure a position in the States after MBA?  
Patrizio:  Hi there! I'll say that is actually more difficult to both domestic and international students across the top 10 MBAs, but for sure it has turned to be more difficult for international students at this time, given the uncertain macroeconomic situation the US is facing today.  

Adrian (Atlanta):  Hi there! How easy is it to obtain an intership and eventually a job in Europe? Do a lot of international companies recruit for positions over there?  
Avery:  We traditionally have a student-run Week in Cities for London during Christmas break, and from that have successfully garnered a recruiting relationship with companies like BP. However, not many international companies based in countries other than the US are as pro-MBA as Global US-based companies are. So, getting a job in Europe can often mean going with a US-based company with offices across the pond.  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  Hi, it¡¦s me again. I¡¦m just wondering what percentage of international students is offered positions in the States after MBA?  
Patrizio:  In general... it will be hard to say because there are no statistics published outside there for international students staying in US after an MBA. About 2 years ago, Consulting and Investment Banking was a hot area for both domestic and international students. Yet, given the current slow-down of the US Economy that is not true anymore. A very high percentage of the international students that I know at Fuqua from my Class (2003) got an internship in US last year. For the full time, news are slower now than before. So, we have heard about international classmates getting job offers but many of them are still "on hold".  

Yun-Wen Vivian Jang (Taipei):  I intend to pursue a career in investment banking after MBA.  
Patrizio:  Thanks. Investment Banking is a field in which they want to hire the best talent among US and international MBA students. In the past (2-3 years ago), there was a high number of opportunities, where as today they have reduced. Moreover, when the US is not doing so well, the number of global deals go down as well. I believe this may have a negative repercusion when someone wants to sell him/herself as an MBA from US that possess extra knowledge of an international region (such as Asia). Definetely, it will vary case by case
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:25:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 11: Teradata CRM Center
What's so special about Customer Relationship Management at Fuqua? Find out!
March 18, 2003
Kinita Copeland (Atlanta):  Ami, what does being a Research associate entail?  
Ami:  Great question, Kinita. While the individual roles of the SRAs can differ from person to person, the overall Center SRA program is designed to provide 1st and 2nd year MBA students with paid, hands on experience on Center and CRM related projects incuding case study development and data analysis. Katie's and my role are actually different. I actually work with the director of the Fuqua Teradata Center to communicate and relay the prestigious program that we have in place. Teradata, a division of NCR, established a partnership in 2000 with the Fuqua School of Business to create this academic center.  

Kinita Copeland (Atlanta):  Ami, what does being a Research associate entail?  
Katie Lay:  As a research associate, I've worked with a professor to research information for an upcoming textbook, and I work closely with another research associate to create classroom materials such as cases that will eventually be used in the classroom. Our hours are relatively flexible, so the commitment varies from 2-5 hours a week depending on your personal availability.  

Kinita Copeland (Atlanta):  What strategies are firms currently using to implement and realize CRM opportunities without having to pay for costly ERP packages?  
Ami:  CRM is above all a PROCESS improvement. At the Center, we define it as an enterprise approach to understanding and influencing customer acquisition, customer retention and customer value-current and lifetime ? through interactive, relavnt information exchange. Its not just technology, but marketing and analytics too.  

Ami:  Through this partnership, the Center works closely with Fuqua professors and Teradata industry experts to leverage both academic and industry expertise to create thought-leadership. The Center is fully sponsored by Teradata and we have the distinction of being the only MBA school affiliated as such. Fuqua's CRM curriculum is enriched with quantitative, research-oriented courses such as Marketing Intelligence, Marketing in the Age of High Technology, Forecasting, and Managing Consumer Insights.  

Ami:  Besides managing the communication of the Center and our affiliation with Fuqua, I work closely with the current administration, alumni, and marketing companies to foster very close networking and academic ties  

Ami:  CRM became a buzz word in the late 1990s and too many companies believed that a successful CRM strategy equated into buying into, what you rightly referred to as, costly ERP packages.  

Ami:  CRM entails placing the customer and customer needs in the forefront of the decision-making process and operations of a company. CRM is a process that entails data integration. In other words, its about having a 360 degree view of the customer through a deep analysis of the customer?s data. Its about organizing the company to maximize use of this information, and orienting it to this customer centric culture.  

Ami:  The easiest, and most effective, CRM solution starts with an analysis of the customer, of the marketing goals, of the strategic aim of the firm and how it aligns with customers and customer segmentation and marketing trends. CRM focuses on the two gold mine concepts of retention and acquisition and also places an emphasis on the satisfaction of customers -- be it via surveys, feedback into product development cycle, online polls, etc. CRM is NOT about subscribing to an ERP tool. My manager at PwC said it best when he said that companies need to focus on the core processes as they should be aligned with the strategic vision of the company -- focusing on technology is inefficient as they are instantly replaced with obsolescence -- but processes remain, for the most part, the same.  

Ami:  Well everyone, seems like our time is nearing an end. I wish you all the very best in your MBA admissions process. Please contact me if you have any questions at ami.katiyar@duke.edu and I shall be more than happy to answer, or find the appropriate source for the answer. Remember that at Fuqua our marketing department is very solid -- a great balance between the quantitative research side and the qualitative branding side. Once again, best wishes for the rest of the year. Hope to see you very soon at Fuqua! Ami Katiyar  
10#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-21 12:27:00 | 只看该作者
Duke Q&A Part 12: Fuqua Partners
Significant others play a significant role in Team Fuqua.
April 2, 2003
Christine (Phoenix):  Hello! My significant other has his MBA and is contemplating moving with me to Durham. How was your husband's adjustment?  
Amy Pavlak:  Christine, I actually know two female students that would be able to give you insight on what it is like. I would be happy to give them your email address and have them contact you. Also, as soon as you have put your deposit down your husband will be able to have one session with the career management center here at Fuqua and they may be able to help.  

Yuriy:  Hello, I'm an undergraduate student. Currently I am on exchange program in the USA. I'm interested in Fuqua, I'd like to apply there in about 3 years.  
Amy Pavlak:  Yuriy, Hi! It is great that you are looking into which schools you would like to apply to. You should be looking into the profiles for the schools to give you a good idea about when you should apply.  

Christine (Phoenix):  Thank you! I would really appreciate that information. My e-mail address is clmurashige@yahoo.com  
Amy Pavlak:  I will pass it on to them and am sure they will both contact you soon.  

Yuriy:  This summer I go back to my country - to Ukraine. I am going to graduate there. I have spent 2 semesters in the USA - on exchange program. I am looking forward somebody to share with me what it requires to enter the Fuqua school.  
Amy Pavlak:  The best thing you can do is look at the website materials. This will give you a better understanding of what you will need to prepare for applying to school. You can always call the admissions office and the number is 919 660-7705.  

Yuriy:  Currently I'm in NC, at UNC Pembroke. I checked out some grad schools, and think that Fuqua is really interesting.  
Amy Pavlak:  This forum was actually set up to answer questions related to Partners here at Fuqua. For admissions questions you really should contact the admissions office.  

Christine (Phoenix):  Hello! My significant other has his MBA and is contemplating moving with me to Durham. How was your husband's adjustment?  
Irene Valentine:  Hi, It took all of us a while to get adjusted since we came here from Mumbai, India. Durham is a very spread out almost country side. If you are moving in from a big city this place will be a great change.The whole area is pretty sprawled with lots of forests, nature trails, bike trails etc which can be very interesting. There are fuqua organizations like the Fuqua partners and the Fuqua family which meets for regular events and you can participate in these events together.Well in our case my husband was studying at Fuqua and I was pretty much busy taking care of the house , kids and my business. We had lots of partying with the fuqua family's which organized picnics, get together, stampin nights, bunko etc. Every Friday we have Fuqua Friday where we get to have free dinner and drinks which is a great time to unwind with your family. The MBA at Fuqua is very demanding and mostly the MBA candidate hardly gets any time with numerous team meetings and assignments. Overall initial adjustment is painful but you feel sad at the end of two years when you are ready to leave and move on.  

Christine (Phoenix):  Fuqua Partners seems to be a fairly involved organization. How involved is the club with the other activities of Fuqua?  
Amy Pavlak:  Fuqua Partners are very involved here. It's great because as a partner we are entitled to the almost everything but classes and company presentations. Your husband would be able to be in any of the clubs you choose to be in.  

Christine (Phoenix):  I am still here! My e-mail is clmurashige@yahoo.com  
Amy Pavlak:  Got it! Thanks and sorry about that. Also, my email address is apavlak@duke.edu. I am one of the Co-Presidents for Fuqua partners and I work in admissions so I am happy to help in any way!  

Christine (Phoenix):  That's the problem. My significant other is my boyfriend so I've heard that the benefits don't extend that far.  
Amy Pavlak:  Oh-my bad...no it includes boyfriends as well. He would still have the same opportunities. The only thing he will not be able to get is membership to the Duke gym and it's because it is a Duke rule.  

Yuriy:  OK, then. It was nice talking to you. I wish you good luck.  
Amy Pavlak:  You too!  

Yuriy:  Hi, Ami, naturally, my first question will be if it was difficult to apply, and how your husband prepared to enter the Fuqua school.  
Irene Valentine:  Hi, I am not sure if I have answered this question ,anyway the answer is that my husband came here early and enrolled in the Math and Computer camp as he was out of academics for almost 10 years. Also he did some self study on Statistics and Accounting. This helped him to keep pace with the breakneck speed at which the course moves.  

Christine (Phoenix):  That sounds great. My boyfriend is going to be graduating with his MBA in May so I've had experience as a "partner". How did you balance the demands of Fuqua and a relationship?  
Amy Pavlak:  Christine, Well for me it has been GREAT! I love it here and have made a lot of really close friends. I think that as far as balancing demands that it is very different for everyone depending on what each person expects. My husband always laughs and says he can't imagine being single and talking about how hard that would be because I do a majority of things around the house. So, that is how it works for us, but I know it is unique to each couple.  

Christine (Phoenix):  That sounds great. My boyfriend is going to be graduating with his MBA in May so I've had experience as a "partner". How did you balance the demands of Fuqua and a relationship?  
Irene Valentine:  That is a very interesting question. Life at Fuqua is very hectic and leaves very little personal time. This whole 2 year can be very stressful but I guess when you see the end results of graduating from top school and the tremendous value addition it has given to you personally and to your partner one can forget the strain of 2 years. The breaks in between terms was an excellent family reunion for us. We went traveling this time with kids and visited all the nearby places.  

Christine (Phoenix):  I am...and I have sent in my deposit. We've been together for a while and it is hard to imagine doing things solo. Irene, I don't know how you balance it all and with kids!  
Amy Pavlak:  Great! Are you guys coming to Blue Devil Weekend? I hope so. Yes, the people with children are amazing...there are two second years with four kids! There will be a session for Partners in the morning on Saturday and I would definitely recommend that your boyfriend comes. I am really excited for Blue Devil Weekend. We had a lot of fun last year!  

Christine (Phoenix):  I am...and I have sent in my deposit. We've been together for a while and it is hard to imagine doing things solo. Irene, I don't know how you balance it all and with kids!  
Irene Valentine:  Well like I said, it was difficult..very difficult. But now I am glad we went through this. My children got an opportunity to meet so many children from different countries and understood the cultural differences between our country and several other country's, I had a great opportunity to meet and get involved in several social activities and Durham is a very child friendly place and so is Fuqua. Now at the end of two years I feel sad that it is all over and we are ready to say our byes.  

Christine (Phoenix):  I am going to Blue Devil Weekend but I'll be on my own. Unfortunately, with his MBA program he had a separate trip that same weekend and will not be attending. Are there any male members of Fuqua Partners? Although I do appreciate your passing on my e-mail to the two women attending Fuqua.  
Amy Pavlak:  There are. Actaully, the other Co-President is male. I think right now there are about 15-20 male partners.  

Christine (Phoenix):  Thank you both for your time!  
Amy Pavlak:  No problem...I hope to meet you at BDW. And- I will pass on your info.  
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 01:07
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部